Send Topic Print
Drain the QLD Flood (Read 12888 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #150 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 5:13pm

freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:40pm:
But they are all stupid for the same reason - ridiculous cost.

pretty sure they made the same argument about the Snowy mountain Hydro scheme, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and every other major piece of infrastructure ever built.  Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #151 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:03pm

$662 million (over half a billion) given to Aged Care...

Nothing against Aged Care, but 'the money' is apparently out there.

The Governments are hoping there won't be any more floods or droughts this year and people 'will' forget about silly Canal systems that worked for many other nations and still do today.
Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #152 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:26pm

John Smith wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 5:13pm:

pretty sure they made the same argument about the Snowy mountain Hydro scheme, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and every other major piece of infrastructure ever built.  Cheesy

Mundaring Weir and the goldfields pipeline that opened up the goldfields of WA.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #153 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:55pm

Your point is? That Jasin is a genius in disguise because someone else had a good idea one time?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #154 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 10:19pm

freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:55pm:

Your point is? That Jasin is a genius in disguise because someone else had a good idea one time?

Nah - how can an uneducated, unskilled, unqualified 'Labourer' like me be a 'genius'?
Surely you're really putting me down now with my K.I.S.S approach to life? Kiss

[edit] I mean - I used to wagg school in the Druitt to hang out in Fischer Uni Library at the age of 10 just to get a real education, right  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #155 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 10:29pm

If I was really stupid. Then I would say that you're the Director and I'm one of the Stars of your Movie.  Cheesy

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #156 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 10:09pm

freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 7:03pm:
This is no different to those who fret that our economy will suffer if we stop subsidising the local automobile, clothing or music industry.

The difference being that if foreign exporters of food decide not to export food to Australia, then we starve. That is why we rely on Australian farmers to provide most of our food. The next 20 years concerns as much as it should concern you for food security.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #157 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 10:15pm

Jasin, a genius?  Grin Grin Grin who are you kidding?

What I'm saying is that you're the opposite of a genius if all you have is 'the ridiculous cost'

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #158 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 10:59am

Jasin wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:03pm:

The Governments are hoping there won't be any more floods or droughts this year and people 'will' forget about silly Canal systems that worked for many other nations and still do today.
Wink

The problem is it's not millions or even billions that you need, but trillions.

It would be more cost effective to simply buy out water licences from farms or provide water conservation measures free of charge than to pipe large amounts of water over large distances.

Remember, you're not talking about a few pipes, you're talking about something akin to the Suez Canal, but multiple times deeper and wider, and 20+ times the length

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #159 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 11:49am

Stig wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 10:59am:

Wink

It would be more cost effective to simply buy out water licences from farms or provide water conservation measures free of charge than to pipe large amounts of water over large distances.

Remember, you're not talking about a few pipes, you're talking about something akin to the Suez Canal, but multiple times deeper and wider, and 20+ times the length

No, you don't need something the size of Suez Canal to begin with unless you do one straight vertical through Australian and one straight horizontal as your two main arterial 'River-Canals'. That would be great 'long term', but indeed a very costly version. Think of the surrounding 'Man-made Hills' that would suddenly appear and lend weight to a new environment in a VERY FLAT country. Hills are important and Trees should not be removed from them for starters.

Just remember that everything in Australia is 'over-priced'. So if a Canal actually costs on Avg around the World $1million to build, chances are in Australia is gets estimated at $10 million and probably blows out another $5million.

So in a way, FreeDiver is right - the COST in Australia is just ridiculous!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #160 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 11:50am

John Smith wrote on Feb 11th, 2019 at 10:15pm:

Jasin, a genius?  Grin Grin Grin who are you kidding?

What I'm saying is that you're the opposite of a genius if all you have is 'the ridiculous cost'

What can I say? I stand on the shoulders of Giants!  Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #161 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 12:20pm

Jasin, ask us again why it is a stupid idea.

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 11th, 2019 at 10:09pm:
This is no different to those who fret that our economy will suffer if we stop subsidising the local automobile, clothing or music industry.

The difference being that if foreign exporters of food decide not to export food to Australia, then we starve. That is why we rely on Australian farmers to provide most of our food. The next 20 years concerns as much as it should concern you for food security.

Australia is a net food exporter.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #162 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 12:29pm

freediver wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 12:20pm:
Jasin, ask us again why it is a stupid idea.

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 11th, 2019 at 10:09pm:

Australia is a net food exporter.

True - we are a Net Food Exporter thankfully.
I predict Africa would out-do us in 'Land' Farming eventually, as our empowerment is 'The Water' and being the leading nation on Water Technology and superior Fishing Markets. Even our Seaweed consumption technology is over-taking the Asian efforts (I know - I worked for them, here in Australia)  Wink

Although I may not live up to FreeDiver's version of a Genius. I have been involved in the theme of this Topic in many ways through-out my life. I can put my name to many friends who are 'genius' and are 'tough' (UFC) and I count myself lucky to know such and its their standards that I try to live up to out of respect.

What can I say FreeDiver? But I think you just don't want to grab a shovel and 'dig', eh?  Wink

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #163 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 3:25pm

Wink

A trillion dollars would be enough for each farmer and family member to receive a tank of water for whenever the person needs it for the rest of the farming communities' lives. Someone proposed a solution of a $9 BILLION project to ensure that farmers get guaranteed a water supply. $9 billion is different to $1 trillion+. I think the benefits saved over the lifespan of water supply to remote rural communities is something along the consideration of trillions. So too being what we could create from having rural communities expand along water supply lines.

I don't expect that rural communities completely rely on water being pumped to their region to be an absolute guarantee. I expect them to rely on conserving the water they receive from rain. Get tanks of water delivered. But have the excess flood water pumped and then treated in regions that they live, when there is an ample supply. Townsville's dams being 220% capacity should not have gone over 120% capacity. That excess water should have been diverted and stored in rural areas for farming and remote usage. Not to drown a place like Townsville in millions of dollars worth of damage.

Not forgetting the rural areas that were inundated with flood water that led to livestock literally drowning. We could have had some control with the flood water. How, I would not know for sure. But, I would have loved to see that flood water being directed to the south-west corner and places west of Toowoomba for their water usage.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #164 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 3:26pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 11:49am:

Wink

No, you don't need something the size of Suez Canal to begin with unless you do one straight vertical through Australian and one straight horizontal as your two main arterial 'River-Canals'. That would be great 'long term', but indeed a very costly version. Think of the surrounding 'Man-made Hills' that would suddenly appear and lend weight to a new environment in a VERY FLAT country. Hills are important and Trees should not be removed from them for starters.

Just remember that everything in Australia is 'over-priced'. So if a Canal actually costs on Avg around the World $1million to build, chances are in Australia is gets estimated at $10 million and probably blows out another $5million.

So in a way, FreeDiver is right - the COST in Australia is just ridiculous!  Roll Eyes

Depends on what you want to do. If you're talking about diverting billions of litres of flood waters - say as happened in Townsville - then yes, you do need something the size of the Suez Canal - in fact probably larger.

If you're just talking about irrigating some farms, then you need something less elaborate, but still enormous, and at the end of the day it's probably far cheaper just to install water-saving measures on those farms or buy out water licences of some of the largest users.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print