Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #135 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 10:16pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 2:37pm:
Jasin wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:57pm:
They might call a National Emergency with this one.
The Floods of QLD.

Here is a timely and perfect example of the need for a national Canal network right across the continent.

Right now, there could be a QLD network of Canal systems that would be 'draining' all that floodwater away. The water up there would be 'moving' and not sitting like a dirty stagnant duckpond. All that water would, over the course of a few weeks - be transported (by gates, etc) across into lower NT, into NSW and as far as SA. There it will be put to good use. It could even feed a massive 'Ever-glades' like Wetlands in the middle of Australia.

A network of Canals, big and small (like they have in the Riverina) would enhance the landscape, provide much needed water access and basically add a lot of money to potentially opening up the entire interior to productivity and population.

But for now - the water remains in QLD.

You'd have to employ the chinese to do this because the f.ckwitts in canberra would have no idea !

Hmm, govt did that, eh? That's what can be done by govts when they are not owned by private enterprise looking for a dollar today.
What is funny is our "govts shouldn't be in business" government selling things of to a foreign govt to run. Hypocrisy. If governments should not run businesses they would not let foreign govts buy them. Sorry, it's against our political philosophy, we can't own it and neither can you.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #136 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 12:23am

Yes FreeDiver
I did stop the Australian Republican Movement (A.R.M) and its assortment of 'Celebrity' Media Politicians, along with Phil Cleary's Real Republic.
I did put my trust in an Anti-Apartheid 'Dissident' I lived with - one of the original (the other two were assassinated before they got here) back in the day, when he told me Kevin Rudd will be our next Prime Minister... back in 03'.
I did walk the entire length of the city freshwater pipeline and swam the canals and worked along the canals.
I've been given the personal guided tour of the President of Irrigation in the Riverina, private property of state of the art irrigation.
So what did you 'swallow' then, if not someone's election pamphlet? Huh

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #137 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 6:00am

John Smith wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 6:06pm:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 2:10pm:
those tunnels are brilliant. i use them all the time. they cut travel time by more than half.

Quote:
After opening, the tunnel was found to save an average of eight minutes travel time.

Nah we save about 30 to 60 minutes in the morning using the tunnel and about 30 mins in the arvo... remember the gateway arterial goes to a stop every morning and arvo.... when they finally finish north gateway it might be less...
Ohh we go through brassy via the sunshine coast. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #138 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:11am

Jasin wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 12:23am:
Yes FreeDiver
I did stop the Australian Republican Movement (A.R.M) and its assortment of 'Celebrity' Media Politicians, along with Phil Cleary's Real Republic.
I did put my trust in an Anti-Apartheid 'Dissident' I lived with - one of the original (the other two were assassinated before they got here) back in the day, when he told me Kevin Rudd will be our next Prime Minister... back in 03'.
I did walk the entire length of the city freshwater pipeline and swam the canals and worked along the canals.
I've been given the personal guided tour of the President of Irrigation in the Riverina, private property of state of the art irrigation.

You do realise that canals are an old technology, hardly "innovative" right?

And that they are a really bad idea in dry areas because of the amount of water lost? That's something you should have picked up in the riverina, where they are trying to cover them all.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #139 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 10:55am

Separate FarNQ from the rest - rename in Inundialand..... sounds almost Indigenous so it might be a crowd pleaser...

Reports from the coastal town of Crocodilia are that floods are now proceeding downstream... learned Queensland scientists can confirm that... and also confirm that the floods will eventually arrive at the ocean..... meanwhile local entrepreneurs are preparing to clean up on mud-stranded Barramundi once the floods subside...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #140 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 10:57am

freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:11am:
Yes FreeDiver

And that they are a really bad idea in dry areas because of the amount of water lost? That's something you should have picked up in the riverina, where they are trying to cover them all.

Don't forget the rising salinity.... windmills in Albury to take away sub-surface water so the salt doesn't rise to the top... if you flood the water table the salt rises to the top with it.... irrigation needs to be carefully controlled..... worse in times of drought.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #141 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 11:04am

Jasin wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 3:37pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 2:37pm:
The Floods of QLD.

Here is a timely and perfect example of the need for a national Canal network right across the continent.

Right now, there could be a QLD network of Canal systems that would be 'draining' all that floodwater away. The water up there would be 'moving' and not sitting like a dirty stagnant duckpond. All that water would, over the course of a few weeks - be transported (by gates, etc) across into lower NT, into NSW and as far as SA. There it will be put to good use. It could even feed a massive 'Ever-glades' like Wetlands in the middle of Australia.

A network of Canals, big and small (like they have in the Riverina) would enhance the landscape, provide much needed water access and basically add a lot of money to potentially opening up the entire interior to productivity and population.

You'd have to employ the chinese to do this because the f.ckwitts in canberra would have no idea !

WOW!!! THAT JUST BLEW ME AWAY!!!
  Cool
(Why can't you post like Last Nail, eh FreeDiver?  Cheesy)

I tend to think that Australians seem to know what's best for everyone else overseas. But have no idea what's best for themselves. Let Multi-Culturalism work its magic and let overseas - know what's best for us and our country. Fair DINKUM, these Chinese would make good work of Australia building our Canals and Waterways and mini-Venice towns along them like Freeways have Servos and Fast Food outlets.
There you go - we've found our EXPERTS!
Lets hire em!

Australia is one of the Wealthiest Nations on the Planet and we are here crying like a 'poor Convict' -
"It's costly!"
  Cry

It's ironical that the only thing they allow the chinese to build here in Australia is dodgy apartments Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #142 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 11:22am

The Floods of QLD.

I would argue against canals to bring it south.

Definitely to heard it into the catchment area in and around Queensland and then piped down south.

Will need substations to get across the land but is achievable.

Part of it could feed the Murray Darling basin, Murray river but no extra water for the farmers unless of course exceptional circumstances prevail.

It would be a great project for Australia.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #143 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 1:42pm

freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:11am:
Yes FreeDiver

Oh yes that. Well that was 'my idea' out there when I lived there. I told them that in India - they 'cover' their Water Canals with giant SOLAR PANELS. Killing two birds with one stone  Wink
And as for the amount of 'water lost' due to 1/4 of the year that actually really evaporates at a high loss, at least there is water 'in there' now - to be lost, for before there was NONE due to permanent loss year after year, decade after decade.
Even if its 'half-lost' during the night as dew upon the surrounding lands and evaporation up into the sky to almost make a cloud on a 45C day. At least there was finally 'some' in there.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #144 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 1:45pm

those tunnels are brilliant. i use them all the time. they cut travel time by more than half.

Quote:
After opening, the tunnel was found to save an average of eight minutes travel time.

the tunnel that goes from kedron to about greenslopes cuts the time by more than half, probably more in peak hour.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #145 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 1:54pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 1:45pm:

Quote:

the tunnel that goes from kedron to about greenslopes cuts the time by more than half, probably more in peak hour.

Yes - and why not, underground 'waterways' with access to their waters from secure and key positions for efficiency?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #146 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:20pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 1:54pm:

Quote:

Yes - and why not, underground 'waterways' with access to their waters from secure and key positions for efficiency?

Why not waterways in outer space?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #147 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:32pm

freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:20pm:

Quote:

Come now FD. Give us a hug - you seem to need one.  Wink

You know that just because its a 'new' technology, it doesn't automatically make it 'right for the job'. Much that is old, tried and tested can set as the foundation for the 'right technology' when the time comes for a new development.

Maybe some people don't want Canals in Australia and results from their effects because they prefer Australia being just a 'service provider' nation like the UK in servitude to the Media Empire.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #148 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:40pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:32pm:

Quote:

You know that just because its a 'new' technology, it doesn't automatically make it 'right for the job'. Much that is old, tried and tested can set as the foundation for the 'right technology' when the time comes for a new development.

Maybe some people don't want Canals in Australia and results from their effects because they prefer Australia being just a 'service provider' nation like the UK in servitude to the Media Empire.

Oh well, at least I tried. Jasin you keep asking us to explain why every stupid idea you have is a stupid idea. But they are all stupid for the same reason - ridiculous cost. How many times do you want to have the same discussion? Perhaps you think that technical merit alone makes them interesting, but there's only so much extravagance you put put on digging a ditch. Every child at the beach comes up with the same idea.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #149 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:47pm

freediver wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:40pm:
Jasin wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:32pm:

Quote:

Oh well, at least I tried. Jasin you keep asking us to explain why every stupid idea you have is a stupid idea. But they are all stupid for the same reason - ridiculous cost. How many times do you want to have the same discussion? Perhaps you think that technical merit alone makes them interesting, but there's only so much extravagance you put put on digging a ditch. Every child at the beach comes up with the same idea.

Your Political world is going broke here. You Political culture is fracturing apart into little 'independents' with their own little agendas. Both of your two major parties are just inflated Supernovas - about to go into retirement with a 'bang'. Both 'inflated' by having Unions, Greens, Democrats and Nationals pumping them up with the generalisation of a 'One Nation' as both are now one and the same ALNLP  Roll Eyes

Don't worry - we won't knock on your door to help cover the cost FreeDiver. We know you give generously enough as it is. I'm not taking the mickey out of you with this either.

Cost will be taken care of.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print