www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #120 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 1:40pm

John Smith wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:25am:
freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:23am:
John Smith wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:16am:
freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:03am:
And yet the government calls on private enterprise for all the big new freeway projects.

sign their mates up to cash cows? gee, I wonder why.

I think one of them almost sent one of the large engineering companies bankrupt.

politicians can screw anything up, even a sure thing.

This one was entirely the private company's fault. They completely misjudged the amount of traffic that would go through.

In any case, there are companies around with a bigger budget than the Australian government. It's no longer true that you need the government for a big project. You just need them to get out of the way. For example, the government is not putting in that big new mine in QLD. Adani is. But the government might still stop it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #121 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 1:55pm

freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 1:40pm:
This one was entirely the private company's fault. They completely misjudged the amount of traffic that would go through.

You're referring to the clem7 ? ..... The estimates were ridiculous. Wishful thinking more than anything else. Either that or deliberate lies to boost investor demand.
They average about 1/3 of their estimated daily traffic.  Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #122 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 2:10pm

those tunnels are brilliant. i use them all the time. they cut travel time by more than half.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 2:37pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:57pm:
They might call a National Emergency with this one.
The Floods of QLD.

Here is a timely and perfect example of the need for a national Canal network right across the continent.

Right now, there could be a QLD network of Canal systems that would be 'draining' all that floodwater away. The water up there would be 'moving' and not sitting like a dirty stagnant duckpond. All that water would, over the course of a few weeks - be transported (by gates, etc) across into lower NT, into NSW and as far as SA. There it will be put to good use. It could even feed a massive 'Ever-glades' like Wetlands in the middle of Australia.

A network of Canals, big and small (like they have in the Riverina) would enhance the landscape, provide much needed water access and basically add a lot of money to potentially opening up the entire interior to productivity and population.

But for now - the water remains in QLD.

You'd have to employ the chinese to do this because the f.ckwitts in canberra would have no idea !

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #124 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 3:13pm

freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:03am:
Setanta wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:19pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:48pm:
Quote:
Who said it will be 'free' water?
2. Definitely be accessible water at least, considering before there was none - regardless of cost.

You have shown, and continue to show, complete disregard for and disinterest in the cost. Yet that is exactly what it boils down to. If the the farmers were willing to pay the cost, it would have happened already. It would not be a matter of the government doing it for them, but a matter of the government getting out of the way and letting it happen, which does happen and there are plenty of massive privately funded irrigation schemes around, just not on a scale of stupid. No-one is offering to pay for this, directly or indirectly. All we have is naive dreamers wanting to spend billions of dollars of other people's money because they think all our problems would be solved if only the government would "do something".

I'm not taking either side on this issue but I will on govt works. Private enterprise can never do what govts can. Private enterprise needs returns right now, govt can bank on returns far into the future. If the conservatives had their way, the Sydney harbour Bridge would have been two lanes. If the conservatives had their way the Snowy would never have been built, if the conservatives had their way the Hoover dam would not exist. The Ord river scheme is still being debated, I think it has a great future but it's something private enterprise could never do. Private enterprise is great for here and now but is not for nation building, it does not care about the future.

You want something big done? Govt needs to do it.

And yet the government calls on private enterprise for all the big new freeway projects.

Private enterprise is just as happy to make returns in the future, so long as they are real, not imaginary. If the government makes an investment whose value is only 1% per annum of the initial cost, that is a reason for the government not making investments.

Jasin wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:25pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:48pm:
Quote:
Who said it will be 'free' water?
2. Definitely be accessible water at least, considering before there was none - regardless of cost.

You have shown, and continue to show, complete disregard for and disinterest in the cost. Yet that is exactly what it boils down to. If the the farmers were willing to pay the cost, it would have happened already. It would not be a matter of the government doing it for them, but a matter of the government getting out of the way and letting it happen, which does happen and there are plenty of massive privately funded irrigation schemes around, just not on a scale of stupid. No-one is offering to pay for this, directly or indirectly. All we have is naive dreamers wanting to spend billions of dollars of other people's money because they think all our problems would be solved if only the government would "do something".

And what do you think the Politicians are doing?
How many $ millions for the French to build 'our' Submarines
How many $ millions for USA hand-me-down military toys
How many $millions for Indonesian education?
How many $ millions spent by ALP for many Companies who 'folded' in Australia?
How many $ BILLIONS spent funding the U.N bills with a few other nations while 95% of every other nation hasn't paid their credit card debts?

...oh the list goes on!  Roll Eyes

Don't tell us about 'COST' when the cost is just a priority issue.

NBN $millions anyone?  Huh
Relief Packages here and overseas = $millions ...anyone?  Huh

I'm pretty sure there would be 'minimal' cost involved in the first step of 'Research' into viable 'approach' towards implementing a 'system' that would provide such as mentioned through-out this topic and since one of my first Topics on this Forum
"The Canals of Mars".

Cost?
Bah Humbug!
We pay TAX and WE - the Common People of our own Common 'Wealth' say we want it spent on 'this'. Now get to work!  Angry

So you hate government waste, but you want the government to waste money on a whole new level on something you have a vague, passing interest in?

I've worked in the 'Waste' Industry and I'm not just talking about having to look after people who care constantly 'Wasted' as well. As long as Australian Politics continues the empowerment of the 'Individual' (Prime Minister) over that of the 'General Mass' - everything that is currently being spent on and in the past has indeed, been a giant 'WASTE' for nothing but their benefit of the USA.

Prime Ministers are nothing but scum for the USA, keeping our nation 'crapped out' to make USA look better than it really is.
I support the Governor-General, who does empower us, over himself/herself as his/her fullfillment is to serve Great Britain and its King/Queen.
With this - 'we' the Common People of her Majesties Common Wealth shall declare WAR on your Prime Ministership's service to the USA and any 'Mercenary' that has fought for the USA in its Privatised wars.

Both ALP and NLP will soon feel the true power of Terra Australis, Great South Land, Endrax Land, New Holland, Ophir, AustralAsia, Aurora and Azlaroc and its true people.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #125 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 3:22pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:15am:
I see no practical way u can contain flood water and in the case of Townsville u could be waiting years between floods.
So what is really required is a place that rains a lot and regularly and capture that downfall before it goes to sea.....
Then find a way to mass store it, then a way to transport the water where needed, then figure out a way to use the water wisely ( I mean if it goes into the Murry and 500km's down the river it just gets pumped into cotton fields). Then work out running costs and maintenance for this... then compare to other methods of doing it (like desalination plants).
It all sounds like a lot of money and even worse a lot of wasted money...... How about moving the agriculture to the area's with lots of rain and closing down those places that pump the Murry dry ?
Why bring the mountain to Mohamed ? Wink

Because a lot of 'well rained' regions of this country are covered in 'cement' in the way of mass-production of humans... Hu being a Yellow Man's word for 'Spiritual', known as CITIES (Citi-ZENS).
All the more 'fertile' lands run along the Coastlines and yet, it is here that the greatest density of cities and mass-population are existing over with a layer of cement, brick, tar and steels.
If technology is the creation of Man then surely the White Man is SATAN, for all that he creates 'destroys, poisons, sickens, kills, make extinct and murders' has wrought only DEATH for this planet.

In fact - satellite images have shown that taken over a 10 year window. A region of land in WA that was split in half by the Rabbit Proof Fence - the side closest to Perth side was deforested and made a Wheat expanse. The side of the border with SA, was left as was. Previously it had rained every year over BOTH sections, but now it doesn't rain over the Wheat side. Why? Because TREES help make rain.

You tell me - which side had the 'Rabbits' on?  Huh

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #126 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 3:37pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 2:37pm:
Jasin wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:57pm:
They might call a National Emergency with this one.
The Floods of QLD.

Here is a timely and perfect example of the need for a national Canal network right across the continent.

Right now, there could be a QLD network of Canal systems that would be 'draining' all that floodwater away. The water up there would be 'moving' and not sitting like a dirty stagnant duckpond. All that water would, over the course of a few weeks - be transported (by gates, etc) across into lower NT, into NSW and as far as SA. There it will be put to good use. It could even feed a massive 'Ever-glades' like Wetlands in the middle of Australia.

A network of Canals, big and small (like they have in the Riverina) would enhance the landscape, provide much needed water access and basically add a lot of money to potentially opening up the entire interior to productivity and population.

But for now - the water remains in QLD.

You'd have to employ the chinese to do this because the f.ckwitts in canberra would have no idea !

WOW!!! THAT JUST BLEW ME AWAY!!!
  Cool
(Why can't you post like Last Nail, eh FreeDiver?  Cheesy)

I tend to think that Australians seem to know what's best for everyone else overseas. But have no idea what's best for themselves. Let Multi-Culturalism work its magic and let overseas - know what's best for us and our country. Fair DINKUM, these Chinese would make good work of Australia building our Canals and Waterways and mini-Venice towns along them like Freeways have Servos and Fast Food outlets.
There you go - we've found our EXPERTS!
Lets hire em!

Australia is one of the Wealthiest Nations on the Planet and we are here crying like a 'poor Convict' -
"It's costly!"
  Cry

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #127 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 4:47pm

freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:37pm:
Quote:
Guess what? Australia is going to be the food bowl of the world.

Why not the basket weaving capital?

Have you seen the trend in agricultural exports as a percentage of GDP?

Your thinking is the basket case of the world. We Australians have not even realised our potential in agricultural production. We need to move away from being a "dig shtuff up and send it to China" thinking. And whilst I am aware that our manufacturing industries could be reignited to a reasonable level, we have to look after our primary industries, first.

Or maybe you want to starve.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #128 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 4:55pm

freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 8:37pm:
Jasin wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:40pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 12:59pm:
It seems some people think that the only requirement to boost the economy is for the government to waste trillions of dollars of taxpayer's money on something, anything, no matter how ridiculous, so long as it stokes the imagination.

Like spending $millions on Indonesian Aid benefits and hand-me-down USA Military toys?

So what if it floods in Western QLD every 20 years. All the other years of Drought, I've sure they could be getting water from somewhere where it's flooding.

Why NOT have an 'immediate' series of Canals (Narrow and Deep: slows the evaporation rate) criss-crossing the interior? I'm sure any Farmer would like one running through his property and 'dewing' his land in the night.
My region has had substantial heavy rains at night - and yet these very shallow and sandy creeks run so quickly the water will be gone in just 1 week!  Tongue

Maybe we should just keep paying the annual Farmer's Relief Packages like we do every bloody year - all in the $millions.  Roll Eyes

The Canal system could easily be as beneficial as the Artery/Vein system of the human body.
Just because Political Australians have no imagination, keep the money spent in the A.C.T and only do something if its paid for by Britain and Politically corrected by the USA.

Let's privatise Australia and sell it to the highest bidder!
Better than still fiddle-farting with twiddle-dee (NLP) and twiddle-dum (ALP) who's agenda is NOT AUSTRALIA FIRST (because Abo's still own it).

Because of the cost. The moment you ask "why not" as if the cost is not a reason, you lose all credibility. Donate your own money if you want, but don't expect taxpayers to fork out for the rest. Free water for farmers in arid areas is not some kind of fundamental human right.

Because cities need to build new stadiums every few years at a cost of half a billion dollars, for the sake of making 'some' money. Meanwhile, rural regions keep getting depopulated by the young moving away, and the rest seeing exacerbated levels of suicide from destitute situations involving no water availability.

Water is a fundamental human right, and it is stupid that you do not know that.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #129 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 5:34pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 4:47pm:
Quote:

Your thinking is the basket case of the world. We Australians have not even realised our potential in agricultural production. We need to move away from being a "dig shtuff up and send it to China" thinking. And whilst I am aware that our manufacturing industries could be reignited to a reasonable level, we have to look after our primary industries, first.

Yep!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #130 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 5:38pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 4:55pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 8:37pm:
Jasin wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:40pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 12:59pm:
It seems some people think that the only requirement to boost the economy is for the government to waste trillions of dollars of taxpayer's money on something, anything, no matter how ridiculous, so long as it stokes the imagination.

Like spending $millions on Indonesian Aid benefits and hand-me-down USA Military toys?

So what if it floods in Western QLD every 20 years. All the other years of Drought, I've sure they could be getting water from somewhere where it's flooding.

Why NOT have an 'immediate' series of Canals (Narrow and Deep: slows the evaporation rate) criss-crossing the interior? I'm sure any Farmer would like one running through his property and 'dewing' his land in the night.
My region has had substantial heavy rains at night - and yet these very shallow and sandy creeks run so quickly the water will be gone in just 1 week!  Tongue

Maybe we should just keep paying the annual Farmer's Relief Packages like we do every bloody year - all in the $millions.  Roll Eyes

The Canal system could easily be as beneficial as the Artery/Vein system of the human body.
Just because Political Australians have no imagination, keep the money spent in the A.C.T and only do something if its paid for by Britain and Politically corrected by the USA.

Let's privatise Australia and sell it to the highest bidder!
Better than still fiddle-farting with twiddle-dee (NLP) and twiddle-dum (ALP) who's agenda is NOT AUSTRALIA FIRST (because Abo's still own it).

Because of the cost. The moment you ask "why not" as if the cost is not a reason, you lose all credibility. Donate your own money if you want, but don't expect taxpayers to fork out for the rest. Free water for farmers in arid areas is not some kind of fundamental human right.

Because cities need to build new stadiums every few years at a cost of half a billion dollars, for the sake of making 'some' money. Meanwhile, rural regions keep getting depopulated by the young moving away, and the rest seeing exacerbated levels of suicide from destitute situations involving no water availability.

Water is a fundamental human right
, and it is stupid that you do not know that.

A VERY IMPORTANT POINT MADE!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #131 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 6:06pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 2:10pm:
those tunnels are brilliant. i use them all the time. they cut travel time by more than half.

Quote:
After opening, the tunnel was found to save an average of eight minutes travel time.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #132 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 7:03pm

Quote:

I don't care about our potential in agricultural production any more than I care about our potential in basket weaving. No disrespect to our basket weavers of course. They do a fine job in tough economic conditions. But their profits are hardly a measure of our nation's strength. Agriculture as a percentage of GDP has been shrinking since the invention of coins.

This is no different to those who fret that our economy will suffer if we stop subsidising the local automobile, clothing or music industry.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #133 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 7:18pm

freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 7:03pm:
Quote:

I don't care about our potential in agricultural production any more than I care about our potential in basket weaving. No disrespect to our basket weavers of course. They do a fine job in tough economic conditions. But their profits are hardly a measure of our nation's strength. Agriculture as a percentage of GDP has been shrinking since the invention of coins.

This is no different to those who fret that our economy will suffer if we stop subsidising the local automobile, clothing or music industry.

Wow! You don't hold back do you? Talk about talking down a number of Australian industries here and potential 'innovative' industries - like Building a Continental Canal system!
Makes me wonder which Industries you would talk up then and do you know of any Industry that has potential for the future?

Come on FD. Put your money where your mouth is then.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #134 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:55pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 7:18pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 7:03pm:
Quote:

Wow! You don't hold back do you? Talk about talking down a number of Australian industries here and potential 'innovative' industries - like Building a Continental Canal system!
Makes me wonder which Industries you would talk up then and do you know of any Industry that has potential for the future?

Come on FD. Put your money where your mouth is then.

So you want us to be the most innovative at wasting huge sums of money? Did you swallow someone's election pamphlet?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print