freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #105 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 8:37pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:40pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 12:59pm:
It seems some people think that the only requirement to boost the economy is for the government to waste trillions of dollars of taxpayer's money on something, anything, no matter how ridiculous, so long as it stokes the imagination.

Like spending $millions on Indonesian Aid benefits and hand-me-down USA Military toys?

So what if it floods in Western QLD every 20 years. All the other years of Drought, I've sure they could be getting water from somewhere where it's flooding.

Why NOT have an 'immediate' series of Canals (Narrow and Deep: slows the evaporation rate) criss-crossing the interior? I'm sure any Farmer would like one running through his property and 'dewing' his land in the night.
My region has had substantial heavy rains at night - and yet these very shallow and sandy creeks run so quickly the water will be gone in just 1 week!  Tongue

Maybe we should just keep paying the annual Farmer's Relief Packages like we do every bloody year - all in the $millions.  Roll Eyes

The Canal system could easily be as beneficial as the Artery/Vein system of the human body.
Just because Political Australians have no imagination, keep the money spent in the A.C.T and only do something if its paid for by Britain and Politically corrected by the USA.

Let's privatise Australia and sell it to the highest bidder!
Better than still fiddle-farting with twiddle-dee (NLP) and twiddle-dum (ALP) who's agenda is NOT AUSTRALIA FIRST (because Abo's still own it).

Because of the cost. The moment you ask "why not" as if the cost is not a reason, you lose all credibility. Donate your own money if you want, but don't expect taxpayers to fork out for the rest. Free water for farmers in arid areas is not some kind of fundamental human right.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #106 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:13pm

freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 8:37pm:
Jasin wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:40pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 12:59pm:
It seems some people think that the only requirement to boost the economy is for the government to waste trillions of dollars of taxpayer's money on something, anything, no matter how ridiculous, so long as it stokes the imagination.

Like spending $millions on Indonesian Aid benefits and hand-me-down USA Military toys?

So what if it floods in Western QLD every 20 years. All the other years of Drought, I've sure they could be getting water from somewhere where it's flooding.

Why NOT have an 'immediate' series of Canals (Narrow and Deep: slows the evaporation rate) criss-crossing the interior? I'm sure any Farmer would like one running through his property and 'dewing' his land in the night.
My region has had substantial heavy rains at night - and yet these very shallow and sandy creeks run so quickly the water will be gone in just 1 week!  Tongue

Maybe we should just keep paying the annual Farmer's Relief Packages like we do every bloody year - all in the $millions.  Roll Eyes

The Canal system could easily be as beneficial as the Artery/Vein system of the human body.
Just because Political Australians have no imagination, keep the money spent in the A.C.T and only do something if its paid for by Britain and Politically corrected by the USA.

Let's privatise Australia and sell it to the highest bidder!
Better than still fiddle-farting with twiddle-dee (NLP) and twiddle-dum (ALP) who's agenda is NOT AUSTRALIA FIRST (because Abo's still own it).

Because of the cost. The moment you ask "why not" as if the cost is not a reason, you lose all credibility. Donate your own money if you want, but don't expect taxpayers to fork out for the rest. Free water for farmers in arid areas is not some kind of fundamental human right.

1. Who said it will be 'free' water?
2. Definitely be accessible water at least, considering before there was none - regardless of cost.
3. I think having water provision in desert/arid/drought striken regions of habitation is every right.
4. What are you white people doing here in Australia, beyond just doing exactly what they do in the UK/USA?
4(a). As if that hasn't been done already before (repeat!  Roll Eyes)
5. Americans have been to Space, landed on the Moon, sent probes to other worlds, viewed the Universe and become the greatest Aviation nation on the planet... and Australians have done 'what' exactly?  Huh  Roll Eyes Oh yeah - come up with words like "Bloody and C'mon" and waved flags on Jan 26th  Roll Eyes Real exciting stuff  Roll Eyes
6. If Australia is to become a Republic - then it needs to be far more self-sufficient and 'sustain' itself beyond depending on the UK AND the USA like a 'Sock'.
7. And you wonder why the Aboriginals never really kicked on here for 40,000 years?  Huh Too dry maybe?  Tongue
8. Oh I'm sure if there was an outcome of Productivity that made the Riverina just 2% of what could be achieved, a jobs boom like no Mining Company could offer and finally a sense of 'worth' for the Outback that has been promoted by white people as a harsh 'waste of space' in movies - then I'm sire every Taxpayer would indeed say "Money well spent for once".
9. Excuse me for dreaming a dream that isn't British, American or Aboriginal.
10. It will happen.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #107 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:15pm

btw: Everyone knows that Australians are 'empty' on the inside  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #108 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:48pm

Quote:
Who said it will be 'free' water?
2. Definitely be accessible water at least, considering before there was none - regardless of cost.

You have shown, and continue to show, complete disregard for and disinterest in the cost. Yet that is exactly what it boils down to. If the the farmers were willing to pay the cost, it would have happened already. It would not be a matter of the government doing it for them, but a matter of the government getting out of the way and letting it happen, which does happen and there are plenty of massive privately funded irrigation schemes around, just not on a scale of stupid. No-one is offering to pay for this, directly or indirectly. All we have is naive dreamers wanting to spend billions of dollars of other people's money because they think all our problems would be solved if only the government would "do something".

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #109 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:55pm

freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:48pm:
Quote:

You have shown, and continue to show, complete disregard for and disinterest in the cost. Yet that is exactly what it boils down to. If the the farmers were willing to pay the cost, it would have happened already. It would not be a matter of the government doing it for them, but a matter of the government getting out of the way and letting it happen, which does happen and there are plenty of massive privately funded irrigation schemes around, just not on a scale of stupid. No-one is offering to pay for this, directly or indirectly.

All we have is naive dreamers wanting to spend billions of dollars of other people's money because they think all our problems would be solved if only the government would "do something".

Yep.

Good post.

'Spending billions of dollars of other people's money',       is not a rational 'solution' to any problem.
....as has been proven, many, many times before.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #110 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:19pm

Quote:

You have shown, and continue to show, complete disregard for and disinterest in the cost. Yet that is exactly what it boils down to. If the the farmers were willing to pay the cost, it would have happened already. It would not be a matter of the government doing it for them, but a matter of the government getting out of the way and letting it happen, which does happen and there are plenty of massive privately funded irrigation schemes around, just not on a scale of stupid. No-one is offering to pay for this, directly or indirectly. All we have is naive dreamers wanting to spend billions of dollars of other people's money because they think all our problems would be solved if only the government would "do something".

I'm not taking either side on this issue but I will on govt works. Private enterprise can never do what govts can. Private enterprise needs returns right now, govt can bank on returns far into the future. If the conservatives had their way, the Sydney harbour Bridge would have been two lanes. If the conservatives had their way the Snowy would never have been built, if the conservatives had their way the Hoover dam would not exist. The Ord river scheme is still being debated, I think it has a great future but it's something private enterprise could never do. Private enterprise is great for here and now but is not for nation building, it does not care about the future.

You want something big done? Govt needs to do it.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:24pm by Setanta »  

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #111 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:25pm

Quote:

And what do you think the Politicians are doing?
How many $ millions for the French to build 'our' Submarines
How many $ millions for USA hand-me-down military toys
How many $millions for Indonesian education?
How many $ millions spent by ALP for many Companies who 'folded' in Australia?
How many $ BILLIONS spent funding the U.N bills with a few other nations while 95% of every other nation hasn't paid their credit card debts?

...oh the list goes on!  Roll Eyes

Don't tell us about 'COST' when the cost is just a priority issue.

NBN $millions anyone?  Huh
Relief Packages here and overseas = $millions ...anyone?  Huh

I'm pretty sure there would be 'minimal' cost involved in the first step of 'Research' into viable 'approach' towards implementing a 'system' that would provide such as mentioned through-out this topic and since one of my first Topics on this Forum
"The Canals of Mars".

Cost?
Bah Humbug!
We pay TAX and WE - the Common People of our own Common 'Wealth' say we want it spent on 'this'. Now get to work!  Angry

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #112 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:27pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:19pm:
Quote:

I'm not taking either side on this issue but I will on govt works. Private enterprise can never do what govts can. Private enterprise needs returns right now, govt can bank on returns far into the future. If the conservatives had their way, the Sydney harbour Bridge would have been two lanes. If the conservatives had their way the Snowy would never have been built, if the conservatives had their way the Hoover dam would not exist. The Ord river scheme is still being debated, I think it has a great future but it's something private enterprise could never do. Private enterprise is great for here and now but is not for nation building, it does not care about the future.

And the BIGGEST
PRIVATISED POLITICAL SYSTEM
IS...
(wait for it!)
...the USA.  Wink

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #113 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 7:40am

Quote:

If the government did one of these things and the running costs where high, then all these same ppl would complain about how useless the government are as well... Like what happened with the big desalination plants Smiley

I am me

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #114 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:03am

Setanta wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:19pm:
Quote:

And yet the government calls on private enterprise for all the big new freeway projects.

Private enterprise is just as happy to make returns in the future, so long as they are real, not imaginary. If the government makes an investment whose value is only 1% per annum of the initial cost, that is a reason for the government not making investments.

Jasin wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:25pm:
Quote:

And what do you think the Politicians are doing?
How many $ millions for the French to build 'our' Submarines
How many $ millions for USA hand-me-down military toys
How many $millions for Indonesian education?
How many $ millions spent by ALP for many Companies who 'folded' in Australia?
How many $ BILLIONS spent funding the U.N bills with a few other nations while 95% of every other nation hasn't paid their credit card debts?

...oh the list goes on!  Roll Eyes

Don't tell us about 'COST' when the cost is just a priority issue.

NBN $millions anyone?  Huh
Relief Packages here and overseas = $millions ...anyone?  Huh

I'm pretty sure there would be 'minimal' cost involved in the first step of 'Research' into viable 'approach' towards implementing a 'system' that would provide such as mentioned through-out this topic and since one of my first Topics on this Forum
"The Canals of Mars".

Cost?
Bah Humbug!
We pay TAX and WE - the Common People of our own Common 'Wealth' say we want it spent on 'this'. Now get to work!  Angry

So you hate government waste, but you want the government to waste money on a whole new level on something you have a vague, passing interest in?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #115 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:15am

I see no practical way u can contain flood water and in the case of Townsville u could be waiting years between floods.
So what is really required is a place that rains a lot and regularly and capture that downfall before it goes to sea.....
Then find a way to mass store it, then a way to transport the water where needed, then figure out a way to use the water wisely ( I mean if it goes into the Murry and 500km's down the river it just gets pumped into cotton fields). Then work out running costs and maintenance for this... then compare to other methods of doing it (like desalination plants).
It all sounds like a lot of money and even worse a lot of wasted money...... How about moving the agriculture to the area's with lots of rain and closing down those places that pump the Murry dry ?
Why bring the mountain to Mohamed ? Wink

I am me

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:16am

freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:03am:
And yet the government calls on private enterprise for all the big new freeway projects.

sign their mates up to cash cows? gee, I wonder why.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #117 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:23am

John Smith wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:16am:

I think one of them almost sent one of the large engineering companies bankrupt.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #118 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:25am

freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:23am:

I think one of them almost sent one of the large engineering companies bankrupt.

politicians can screw anything up, even a sure thing.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #119 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 12:55pm

John Smith wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:25am:
freediver wrote on Feb 9th, 2019 at 9:23am:

politicians can screw anything up, even a sure thing.

No need - it's all done with contractors and sub-contractors anyway, and a government body is just as good at securing those as any private consortium and more likely to protect worker's rights, and then the fees can be lower and calculated over the long term without 'need' to pay exorbitant salaries, unwarranted clerical staff, and shareholders, and the result is the same.

It's not as if a private consortium gets out with pick and shovel and digs a freeway, is it?  To think they even begin to do so is naive in the extreme.

The Sydney to Brisbane is going at a great rate and nearly finished.... all government hiring contractors.... no ceo's, board members, no staff to run sales and billing, no machines to collect tolls, no shareholders to pay off .... coupla hiccups due to Gladys' incompetence - the Hexham Bridge area and Coffs Harbour each need a bypass desperately, but footie grounds are more important.

Why can't this be done with all FREEways instead of privately owned Motorways?  Motorists could use a FREEway, even with a fee, at about half the price.

If they slugged me $10 each way to travel the coast to visit the grand-kids, I'd be happy to pay - and MILLIONS of vehicles use that road every year......

Stoopid is as stoopid does.... and stoopidest is feeding your parasite mates for doing nothing.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Send Topic Print