Drain the QLD Flood (Read 12876 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #90 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:54pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:46pm:
cods wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:41pm:
Gordon wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:38pm:
I just checked Alibaba and you can get 200mm PVC drainage pipe for $2/m.

It may take a bit more than a weekend working bee but it's not an insurmountable job.

ok gordon youve made your point..

I'm actually with you on this one.

Sure it would be expensive but the benefit would be reaped by generations to come so the cost could be spread out over a few generations.

BINGO!

Put aside the selfishness of the current generation.
USA builds a Wall.
N.Africa builds a Tree Wall against the desert.

...yet we can't even build one Canal from North to South.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 10:09pm

It may take a bit more than a weekend working bee but it's not an insurmountable job.

Sure it would be expensive but the benefit would be reaped by generations to come so the cost could be spread out over a few generations.

every body needs WATER so everybody has to pay..

they did it with the bridge....they needed it THEM  not 50 yrs hence.....

when you think of the WIND &SOLAR systems they could build up there on all that land that is basically fit for nothing....to power pumps  and maybe a system unlike the Suez or Panama canals....which still work today...doing a massive job.........when you see the structures built overseas....  we certainly lag  in so many departments....

if we cant cant find a way to do it  bring in someone who will..

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #92 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 10:14pm

My theory is that it is much like Sydney.

They don't want Sydney to be perfect, efficient, cost effective, etc.
Because it creates jobs trying to 'fix it' all the time, with no success. It's a car that constantly needing maintenance, but the husband won't buy a new one, because he then won't have an excuse to get out of the house and away from the wife.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 6:40am

you could be right...when you think Sydney is modeled on old Sydney town founded 200 years ago... it shows how advanced we have become...

first they put down tram lines  then they dig them up then they build a railway in the sky then they pull it down..now its SYdney light rail  turn....started in 2015...and no end in sight...
4 years of utter chaos at your front door...

good one Sydney planners.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #94 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:10am

https://www.matrixpiping.com.au/pages/poly-pipe-prices

In real life u will need high pressure pipe.... Valves, anchor points and a lot of pumping stations... if u look at 800mm pipe its $800 a metre, so just the pipe to go from the Murry source to Townsville would be over 1,000,000 metres.... SO 800 million just for the pipe.

The most non invasive way to do the pipe is just use the railway corridor and u would probably be looking at 1.400.000 metres of pipe... If u could get rid of water friction it might just be feasible.... Wink
All this waiting for it to Flood in Townsville... like every 20 years... Don't forget In 2015 Townville got just under 400mm of rain for the year...….
Maybe add another 500km to the line so u can get a regular rainfall to fill the pipe.....
We cant just have portable Vacuums to get excess water from flooded area's (or maybe we can )
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:36am by DonDeeHippy »  

I am me

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #95 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 8:41am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:10am:

https://www.matrixpiping.com.au/pages/poly-pipe-prices

In real life u will need high pressure pipe.... Valves, anchor points and a lot of pumping stations... if u look at 800mm pipe its $800 a metre, so just the pipe to go from the Murry source to Townsville would be over 1,000,000 metres.... SO 800 million just for the pipe.

The most non invasive way to do the pipe is just use the railway corridor and u would probably be looking at 1.400.000 metres of pipe... If u could get rid of water friction it might just be feasible.... Wink
All this waiting for it to Flood in Townsville... like every 20 years... Don't forget In 2015 Townville got just under 400mm of rain for the year...….
Maybe add another 500km to the line so u can get a regular rainfall to fill the pipe.....
We cant just have portable Vacuums to get excess water from flooded area's (or maybe we can )

We're not doing it because it's easy Wink

So lets go with deep and narrow canals.

Food security will be one of the most pressing matters of the future so it's an inter-generational investment.

In the next few hundred years we'll have cracked fusion energy so we can expend nearly limitless amounts of energy moving the water and on desal plants to supplement areas closer to the coast.

IBI

IP Logged

Pedro Curevo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nth Coast NSW
Reply #96 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:20am

Yep the RW stuffed the inland water ways may as well go for the eastern seaboard water ways and stuff them as well.

Neo conservative thinking knows know bounds to stupidity... Smiley

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #97 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:58am

Pedro Curevo wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 11:20am:
Yep the RW stuffed the inland water ways may as well go for the eastern seaboard water ways and stuff them as well.

Neo conservative thinking knows know bounds to stupidity... Smiley

It's been going on for to long to just blame 1 political party…..  Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #98 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 12:59pm

It seems some people think that the only requirement to boost the economy is for the government to waste trillions of dollars of taxpayer's money on something, anything, no matter how ridiculous, so long as it stokes the imagination.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #99 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 3:59pm

Gnads wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 7:52am:
And tell me how much do you reckon it would cost to "pump" all that coastal water up over the Great Dividing range?

$9 billion wouldn't even scratch the surface.

I suppose they could pinch water out of the Burdekin Dam ...... but that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul .... possibly leaving the Burdekin Sugar industry short.

Not to mention the losses through soakage and evaporation down those huge inland waterways.

We certainly don't need intensive agriculture down the Cooper Creek, Diamantina, Georgina, Finke and other Channel Country rivers.

All that muddy floodwater could be drained to a water station/dam and then pumped inland to regions where there is a sizeable population centre. It does not have to be through canals. They pump gas through large pipes no trouble. Why not water as well?

How often do you see farmers not able to grow food or feed their cattle because they have no water to ward off the death of flora or fauna? I realise that it seems stupid to have farms in the middle of nowhere with the reliance of unseasonable rainfall to get them through. But we can't just keep not having no water for much of the year for centres that a large enough to sustain our agricultural industry.

Guess what? Australia is going to be the food bowl of the world. Better get on board and help the inland regions develop.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #100 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:37pm

Quote:
Guess what? Australia is going to be the food bowl of the world.

Why not the basket weaving capital?

Have you seen the trend in agricultural exports as a percentage of GDP?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #101 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:40pm

freediver wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 12:59pm:
It seems some people think that the only requirement to boost the economy is for the government to waste trillions of dollars of taxpayer's money on something, anything, no matter how ridiculous, so long as it stokes the imagination.

Like spending $millions on Indonesian Aid benefits and hand-me-down USA Military toys?

So what if it floods in Western QLD every 20 years. All the other years of Drought, I've sure they could be getting water from somewhere where it's flooding.

Why NOT have an 'immediate' series of Canals (Narrow and Deep: slows the evaporation rate) criss-crossing the interior? I'm sure any Farmer would like one running through his property and 'dewing' his land in the night.
My region has had substantial heavy rains at night - and yet these very shallow and sandy creeks run so quickly the water will be gone in just 1 week!  Tongue

Maybe we should just keep paying the annual Farmer's Relief Packages like we do every bloody year - all in the $millions.  Roll Eyes

The Canal system could easily be as beneficial as the Artery/Vein system of the human body.
Just because Political Australians have no imagination, keep the money spent in the A.C.T and only do something if its paid for by Britain and Politically corrected by the USA.

Let's privatise Australia and sell it to the highest bidder!
Better than still fiddle-farting with twiddle-dee (NLP) and twiddle-dum (ALP) who's agenda is NOT AUSTRALIA FIRST (because Abo's still own it).

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #102 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:43pm

We could also stock of with fish and wave generators. I could SUP from Darwin to Adelaide.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #103 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:43pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 3:59pm:
Gnads wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 7:52am:
And tell me how much do you reckon it would cost to "pump" all that coastal water up over the Great Dividing range?

$9 billion wouldn't even scratch the surface.

I suppose they could pinch water out of the Burdekin Dam ...... but that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul .... possibly leaving the Burdekin Sugar industry short.

Not to mention the losses through soakage and evaporation down those huge inland waterways.

We certainly don't need intensive agriculture down the Cooper Creek, Diamantina, Georgina, Finke and other Channel Country rivers.

All that muddy floodwater could be drained to a water station/dam and then pumped inland to regions where there is a sizeable population centre. It does not have to be through canals. They pump gas through large pipes no trouble. Why not water as well?

How often do you see farmers not able to grow food or feed their cattle because they have no water to ward off the death of flora or fauna? I realise that it seems stupid to have farms in the middle of nowhere with the reliance of unseasonable rainfall to get them through. But we can't just keep not having no water for much of the year for centres that a large enough to sustain our agricultural industry.

Guess what? Australia is going to be the food bowl of the world. Better get on board and help the inland regions develop.

I used to walk km's along the Sydney Water Pipeline out west to Penrith (Scenic Route) when pocket money was hard to come by as a teenager. Pipes that size are about as big as you want it as WATER creates a lot of FRICTION in its transportation. Sydney also has abundant WATER CANALS transporting its fresh water (I worked along them just a few years back). It all works - so why not do it for the entire nation!?  Huh

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #104 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:45pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:43pm:
We could also stock of with fish and wave generators. I could SUP from Darwin to Adelaide.

BINGO!

(again)

Yep - the running water could accommodate 'turbines' for electrical supply and in the bigger canals - why not just pump em with yummy Cod and Perch.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print