Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Muslims who support the Taliban (Read 20804 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Muslims who support the Taliban
Reply #75 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 2:43pm

Quote:
Do you agree that the course taken by the US was the worst possible outcome for everyone - given the quagmire the US is still stuck in 18 years later and counting, the suffering it has caused to Afghanis - not to mention that it failed in its stated objective - to actually capture or kill bin Laden?

You musn't have been over all the international news outlets that day Gandalf. Bin Laden is dead.

The invasion of Afghanistan was the worst possible option - except for all the others.

How would the Taliban have helped the US capture Bin Laden without any casualties and without the US invading? A cunning plan?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #76 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 3:25pm

freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2019 at 2:43pm:
You musn't have been over all the international news outlets that day Gandalf. Bin Laden is dead.

It took them 10 years, untold 10s of thousands of dead and a continuing military quagmire to kill him. I don't know, do you think thats an acceptable transactional cost? Do you think they 'war-gamed' this scenario before they launched the invasion and thought, yeah that will be worth doing? I'm guessing not.

I'll take a punt and suggest that a US-Taliban join operation wouldn't have taken 10 years, less people would have died, and the US wouldn't be still fighting an insurgency and stuck with maintaining a costly occupation of Afghanistan 18 years later.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 3:58pm

freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2019 at 2:43pm:
Quote:
Do you agree that the course taken by the US was the worst possible outcome for everyone - given the quagmire the US is still stuck in 18 years later and counting, the suffering it has caused to Afghanis - not to mention that it failed in its stated objective - to actually capture or kill bin Laden?

That's a relief. Are you saying Uncle didn't need to invade Afghanistan after all?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #78 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 8:31pm

Quote:
It took them 10 years, untold 10s of thousands of dead and a continuing military quagmire to kill him. I don't know, do you think thats an acceptable transactional cost?

It's not a transaction Gandalf. It's a war.

Quote:
I'll take a punt and suggest that a US-Taliban join operation wouldn't have taken 10 years, less people would have died, and the US wouldn't be still fighting an insurgency and stuck with maintaining a costly occupation of Afghanistan 18 years later.

Only problem is, it would have never happened at all.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #79 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:08am

All wars are based on transactions FD.

"We'll invade in order to achieve x"

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #80 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:11am

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:08am:

They invaded because Bin Laden declared war on them and attacked them repeatedly when they tried to ignore him. So they killed Bin Laden.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #81 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:29am

freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:11am:

They invaded because Bin Laden declared war on them and attacked them repeatedly when they tried to ignore him. So they killed Bin Laden.

Are you saying the invasion had no other purpose than to avenge a terrorist attack?

I think you would agree with the idea that the purpose of the invasion was to put an end to the terrorist threat of bin Laden yes? The question then becomes was invasion and occupation of an entire country for years on end was the only way to achieve that. I suggest that it wasn't - even without the benefit of hindsight.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #82 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 11:30am

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:29am:

Are you saying the invasion had no other purpose than to avenge a terrorist attack?

I think you would agree with the idea that the purpose of the invasion was to put an end to the terrorist threat of bin Laden yes? The question then becomes was invasion and occupation of an entire country for years on end was the only way to achieve that. I suggest that it wasn't - even without the benefit of hindsight.

They were at war Gandalf. Lets try this real slowly. Bin laden declared war on America. He attacked repeatedly, each time escalating the scale of the attack. I've been telling you this for dozens of pages and you are still giving me the "me no speaka da english" routine.

The astonishing incompetence and stupidity of Muslims is not the same thing as benign intent.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #83 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 12:01pm

freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 11:30am:

They were at war Gandalf. Lets try this real slowly. Bin laden declared war on America. He attacked repeatedly, each time escalating the scale of the attack. I've been telling you this for dozens of pages and you are still giving me the "me no speaka da english" routine.

The astonishing incompetence and stupidity of Muslims is not the same thing as benign intent.

"war" is a nebulous term FD, and can take many forms.

The only point you seem to be making is that invasion and occupation of an entire country was the only way to prosecute that war. I say it wasn't. Nor are we fundamentally disagreeing on what the situation was, and what needed to be done about it (ie stop bin Laden).

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #84 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:12pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 12:01pm:

The only point you seem to be making is that invasion and occupation of an entire country was the only way to prosecute that war. I say it wasn't. Nor are we fundamentally disagreeing on what the situation was, and what needed to be done about it (ie stop bin Laden).

There are plenty of ways to prosecute war. You could blow up buildings full of innocent people. You could invade. Either way, people are going to die Gandalf.

And we are fundamentally disagreeing, because you keep asking me if establishing democracy was sufficient justification for the invasion.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #85 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:56pm

I don't believe I ever mentioned democracy FD.

My questions have only been around how was the best way to remove the threat of OBL and co.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:18pm

freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:12pm:

There are plenty of ways to prosecute war. You could blow up buildings full of innocent people. You could invade. Either way, people are going to die Gandalf.

And we are fundamentally disagreeing, because you keep asking me if establishing democracy was sufficient justification for the invasion.

Excuse me, FD, are you saying Uncle invaded to blow up buildings of innocent people/Muselmen? When he could have just done a quick Special Forces op in Pakistan?

Is that what you mean by Freeeedom? Please explain.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #87 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:07pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:56pm:
I don't believe I ever mentioned democracy FD.

My questions have only been around how was the best way to remove the threat of OBL and co.

By imagining an impossible scenario where the Taliban help the US to capture him without the US invading and without killing any Afghans. Every aspect of your alternative is built on absurd naivete.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #88 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 9:25am

freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 10:07pm:
By imagining an impossible scenario where the Taliban help the US to capture him without the US invading and without killing any Afghans

To be fair FD, I'm actually the one exploring alternatives, while you are doggedly stuck to the idea that only one solution existed, and if you don't/didn't support that solution - you are necessarily a taliban apologist.

And yet, I've cited US official themselves who were involved with pre- 9/11 dealings with the taliban, saying that not trying to work out a deal with the taliban to capture or kill bin Laden represented a "missed opportunity". I've cited the revelation that the taliban foreign minister himself, someone who had close access to the supreme leader Mullah Omar, reached out to the US through Pakistani channels to warn them about a possible attack before 9/11, and clearly expressed his fear that OBL would "ruin the guesthouse". Then I referenced the envoys sent by the Taliban to Washington to try and thrash out a pipeline deal - dispelling this myth that you keep running with that the taliban would never entertain working or cooperating with "the great satan" (a phrase not even used by them, but by Iranians).

Respectfully, I think its unreasonable to insist that no viable alternatives existed - in view of what we know about the taliban (pragmatic and self-preserving) as well as the evidence of them willing to and actually reaching out to the US to help them deal with what they clearly identified as a millstone around their neck (ie OBL).

And by the way, saying all that is not apologising or supporting the taliban.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 11:49am

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:18pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:12pm:

Excuse me, FD, are you saying Uncle invaded to blow up buildings of innocent people/Muselmen? When he could have just done a quick Special Forces op in Pakistan?

Is that what you mean by Freeeedom? Please explain.

FD?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Send Topic Print