Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Muslims who support the Taliban (Read 20766 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Muslims who support the Taliban
Reply #60 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 8:29pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 14th, 2019 at 9:57am:
Frank wrote on Feb 13th, 2019 at 7:22pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 13th, 2019 at 12:43pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 8:07pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 12:30pm:
I can't even begin to understand that FD.

Try English.

What is option B Gandalf?

Something other than having your regime overthrown with overwhelming force.

Was that a trick question FD? What the hell does that have to do with the Russians?

If you didn't try to maintain your regime by force you would have a point. But Muslims always hang on to power in the face of grim determination to overthrow them.

Daffy Gaddafy, Soddem, the eye surgeon of Syria, the gay Palo Dear Leader, (sloberring  Yasser), the lot of them.

Literally none of those leaders can be described as 'muslim leaders'. They were/are staunchly secularist, every one of them. To the point that they actively persecute/d anyone with an Islamist bent.

In most cases, if not all, it was their Islamist enemies that the Americans cuddled up to in order to overthrow them - and thereby plunging them into Islamist hell-holes.

Very well - who IS a legitimate MUSLIM LEADER then?

Tell us what you want to emulate or wish for.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 12:59pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 14th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
I was making the point that the taliban would have preferred literally anything other than being overthrown. And the US should have used this to squeeze them into a compromise that benefits everyone.

So Islamic extremists would never choose to fight to the death rather than assist the great satan to kill fellow Muslims?

Do you think the Russian losses in Afghanistan might have influenced their perception of the situation?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #62 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 1:53pm

freediver wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 12:59pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 14th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
I was making the point that the taliban would have preferred literally anything other than being overthrown. And the US should have used this to squeeze them into a compromise that benefits everyone.

So Islamic extremists would never choose to fight to the death rather than assist the great satan to kill fellow Muslims?

Do you think the Russian losses in Afghanistan might have influenced their perception of the situation?

No to your second question.

The taliban were clearly serious about transforming themselves from an insurgent group to a legitimate and accepted government in the eyes of the world. They craved acknowledgment through diplomatic relations and trade deals. As I keep reminding you, as late as 2001 they were sending envoys to the White House (ie the great satan) to plead for a gas pipeline deal. Strange behaviour for an outfit apparently only interested in killing the infidel and fighting to the death.

The difference between a 'fight to the death' insurgent group who spend their entire existence fighting an existing government, never having to worry about governing - and actually taking over an (almost) entire country and actually trying to govern - has clearly gone over your head. Even fanatics will become desparate to hold on to power once they attain it. Your suggestion that a ruling authority with all the power they could have dreamed of will happily relinquish power just so they can go back to the simple life of fighting the good fight against infidels - doesn't pass the common sense test.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:27pm

So you think the Taliban would have completely ignored what happened when the Russians invaded in deciding how to respond to American demands?

Do you think their desire for recognition would have extended to helping the great satan kill fellow Afghan Muslims - the ones you claim they were in a marriage of convenience with?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #64 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 7:59pm

I'm not getting through am I FD?

You are suggesting that a group that has managed, after years of bitter fighting, to overthrow a national government and take over most of a country - would prefer to chuck it all in just so they can go back to square one - ie being insurgents trying to overthrow another government, as opposed to hanging on to the grand prize?

Can you at least think about how stupid that sounds?

freediver wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:27pm:
Do you think their desire for recognition would have extended to helping the great satan kill fellow Afghan Muslims

They were already trying to work with the great satan. They went to Washington to bend over and beg the great satan to intrude on their sacred Islamic land and build their gas pipeline. Hows does that fit in with your 'oppose the great satan no matter what' narrative?

Also bin Laden and his team were not "fellow Afghan muslims" - they were arabs, and obviously in their eyes, in a *VERY* different league to their Afghan brothers. There's a reason why I used the specific phrase marriage of convenience - and had it been convenient to end that marriage - say, I don't know, by giving them a way to save their regime, then I don't think they would have thought very hard about ending that marriage.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:13pm

Quote:
You are suggesting that a group that has managed, after years of bitter fighting, to overthrow a national government

What was the name of this government?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #66 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 10:22am

freediver wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 10:13pm:
Quote:
You are suggesting that a group that has managed, after years of bitter fighting, to overthrow a national government

What was the name of this government?

Interestingly, they called themselves The Islamic State of Afghanistan, and was a government of former Mujahideen who overthrew the Russian communist puppet regime in 1992. They in turn were overthrown by the Taliban during 1995-96

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #67 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 12:28pm

So this is the group you describe as a "national government"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Afghanistan

This ignited a civil war between five or six rival armies, (nearly) all backed by foreign states. Several mujahideen groups proclaimed an 'interim government' on 26 April 1992 but this never attained real authority over Afghanistan.

Quote:
You are suggesting that a group that has managed, after years of bitter fighting, to overthrow a national government and take over most of a country - would prefer to chuck it all in just so they can go back to square one - ie being insurgents trying to overthrow another government, as opposed to hanging on to the grand prize?

They may well have thought they would win. The Afghans had just sent the Russians packing. In any case, they still had not conquered Afghanistan, and would have seen their militant support base evaporate overnight if they assisted the Americans to kill fellow Afghan Muslims.

They had no good choices, because they were not in control of the situation. Even if they had wanted to hand Bin Laden over, there is no reason to believe they were able to. This left them with "helping" the Americans invade, which is hardly a viable option for an Islamic state.

Your position is nothing short of head-in-the-sand naivete.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #68 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:11pm

freediver wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 12:28pm:
assisted the Americans to kill fellow Afghan Muslims.

bin Laden was not Afghani.

While its true the pashtun (the ethnicity of the taliban) has some honour code towards people they saw as 'guests' (which they often referred to Al Qaeda as), betraying a bunch of rich arab upstarts would be in a completely different ballpark to betraying their fellow Afghanis. If push comes to shove, and knowing how desparate the taliban were to preserve their regime, I think they would have been up for it. Even to the point of allowing a small American commando force in to take out AQ.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:43pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:11pm:

While its true the pashtun (the ethnicity of the taliban) has some honour code towards people they saw as 'guests' (which they often referred to Al Qaeda as), betraying a bunch of rich arab upstarts would be in a completely different ballpark to betraying their fellow Afghanis. If push comes to shove, and knowing how desparate the taliban were to preserve their regime, I think they would have been up for it. Even to the point of allowing a small American commando force in to take out AQ.

So your non-naive proposal is that the Taliban assist the great satan to capture bin Laden without killing any Afghan Muslims?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #70 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 5:10pm

freediver wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:43pm:

So your non-naive proposal is that the Taliban assist the great satan to capture bin Laden without killing any Afghan Muslims?

Ideally yes. At least that is certainly a lot closer to my stance than the proposition that the taliban assist in an "invasion" of their country. I can only repeat that the taliban were not suicidal, and actually were interested in building a state - and certainly not in being a permanent insurgent force achieving nothing but glorious defeats in perpetuity.

Also, in response to the use of the term 'great satan' - presumably to strengthen your case, this is a term used by the Ayatollahs in Iran, and as far as I'm aware the taliban ever referring to the US in these terms. You may think its mere semantic, but I will point out again that the taliban spent years attempting to curry favour with the US, especially in regards to getting a US gas pipeline deal through their country. You scoff at the idea of the taliban allowing "great satan" forces in to capture bin Laden - I counter by pointing out that they were already trying to do deals with the 'great satan' and were more than happy to invite them in to trample all over the 'pure muslim land'.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #71 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 5:31pm

The taliban and their warning to the US that was ignored:

Quote:
Weeks before the terrorist attacks on 11 September, the United States and the United Nations ignored warnings from a secret Taliban emissary that Osama bin Laden was planning a huge attack on American soil.

The warnings were delivered by an aide of Wakil Ahmed Muttawakil, the Taliban Foreign Minister at the time, who was known to be deeply unhappy with the foreign militants in Afghanistan, including Arabs.

Mr Muttawakil, now in American custody, believed the Taliban's protection of Mr bin Laden and the other al-Qa'ida militants would lead to nothing less than the destruction of Afghanistan by the US military. He told his aide: "The guests are going to destroy the guesthouse."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/revealed-the-taliban-minister-...

well worth a read.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 9:37pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 20th, 2019 at 5:10pm:
freediver wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:43pm:

Ideally yes. At least that is certainly a lot closer to my stance than the proposition that the taliban assist in an "invasion" of their country.

So now we now have leapt from the Taliban probably not even being capable of delivering Bin Laden (despite offering to as part of "negotiations"), to the Taliban being capable of helping the US to capture Bin Laden without the US invading and without the death of a single Afghan?

Would you like to take a moment to get your story straight before continuing?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 7:16am

Excuse me, FD, I have a question.

Did the US capture bin Laden after invading Afganistan?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #74 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 9:58am

freediver wrote on Feb 20th, 2019 at 9:37pm:
So now we now have leapt from the Taliban probably not even being capable of delivering Bin Laden (despite offering to as part of "negotiations"), to the Taliban being capable of helping the US to capture Bin Laden

You seem to be insinuating that the two positions are incompatible? How so?

Its not either or - I believe I've maintained both positions simultaneously all along.

Do you agree that the course taken by the US was the worst possible outcome for everyone - given the quagmire the US is still stuck in 18 years later and counting, the suffering it has caused to Afghanis - not to mention that it failed in its stated objective - to actually capture or kill bin Laden?

freediver wrote on Feb 20th, 2019 at 9:37pm:
without the US invading

Its not technically an invasion if you are invited in - is it?

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Send Topic Print