Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Greatest Catch of all time!! (Read 1003 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Greatest Catch of all time!!
Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:38pm

Just happened tonight!

20/20 Cricket and a Brisbane Heat Fielder has just achieved the Greatest Catch of All Time!!!

Renegade Batsman sends one high. The Ball comes down and 'through' the hands (as if blinded, more than 'missed') of the Fielder and hits flush on his nose. He then 'grabs' at the ball 'consciously' and succeeds in 'grabbing it' (secure) - but for a second as he 'throws' the ball up and out as the pain of his nose takes over his reflexes and his mind's concern.
It was a 'Catch'.

But the Video Umpire deems it 'not out' as did the Commentators.

The crowd erupts like the 'underarm' incident with T Chappell. The Brisbanites spit venom like a crop of Taipans. The Brisbane players and captain go nuts at the Umpires.

It seems money changed hands 'up there'. Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Greatest Catch of all time!!
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:43pm

It was not a great catch.  He flummed it.  I would have caught that on "the end of my dick" as anyone who played the game would say.

It was a catch.  He had control of the ball, clearly.  He was very acutely in control of his body.  Who else was, if he wasn't?  He knew he had a 'Falcon,' as well.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:31pm

Some skied balls can get lost in the lights....Ben Cutting dropped the catch IMO....He never had complete control of the ball after it smashed him in the face???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:34pm

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:31pm:
Some skied balls can get lost in the lights....Ben Cutting dropped the catch IMO....He never had complete control of the ball after it smashed him in the face???

Huh Huh Huh

Even though he had it firmly in his right hand?

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:40pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:34pm:

Huh Huh Huh

Even though he had it firmly in his right hand?

Bad decision by the umpires. It should have been allowed as a catch.

Catching in front of your face causes problems because placing your hands in front of your eyes causes loss of sight of the ball which is why it went through his hands.

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2019 at 11:58pm by Laugh till you cry »  

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:42pm

Huh Huh Huh

Then how do you explain it when he makes the motions of his hands 'grabbing' for the ball and succeeding to gain it, before flicking it out 'upwards'.
If it was not in 'control' the ball would have fell 'downwards' instantly.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:50pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:43pm:
It was not a great catch.  He flummed it.  I would have caught that on "the end of my dick" as anyone who played the game would say.

It was a catch.  He had control of the ball, clearly.  He was very acutely in control of his body.  Who else was, if he wasn't?  He knew he had a 'Falcon,' as well.

If he had control of the ball he would have been able to throw it up, when he tried to throw the ball it fell out showing that he was not in control. Had he kept it on his chest it would have been given out even though it was never caught in his hands properly. He was never in position to take a fairly simple catch as someone said may have been lost in the lights. IMO it was close it could have gone either way.

I have never liked how they all throw the ball away before they have really caught it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:52pm

Correct LTYC.

At the huge risk of offending cods, (I really care about that and I'd never ever want to do that,) I had a simple nick off a fast bowler straight to me at forehead height.  Easy.  On any day, any wanker 'keeper would catch it.

Nah.....I stuffed up....straight through the gloves...whack into forehead.....ball goes skyward, and comes down in the safe hand of first slip.

Not the same, I know....but he had that ball firmly in his right hand and was able to toss it up.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:52pm

The fact that he was able to make a grab for the ball 'again' after it bounced off his nose (which it busted) and succeeded to hold it for but a split second before 'releasing' it because of the 'pain' reflex a moment 'after' (not before). It went 'up', not down - out of his hands.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:01pm

http://www.rulesofcricket.co.uk/the_rules_of_cricket/the_rules_of_cricket_law_32...

Quote:
The act of making the catch shall start from the time when a fielder first handles the ball and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement

Not out!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:43am

He was out for mine.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 9:27am

Aussie wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:52pm:
Correct LTYC.

At the huge risk of offending cods, (I really care about that and I'd never ever want to do that,) I had a simple nick off a fast bowler straight to me at forehead height.  Easy.  On any day, any wanker 'keeper would catch it.

Nah.....I stuffed up....straight through the gloves...whack into forehead.....ball goes skyward, and comes down in the safe hand of first slip.

Not the same, I know....but he had that ball firmly in his right hand and was able to toss it up.

what makes you think you offend me with your tall tales or heroics...big hands big gloves... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

at least now I know you have been hit in the forehead by a cricket ball from a fast bowler.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

but bravely carried on ......  again    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

your heroic tales !  and playing with the best.....stun me ...or more, bemuse really..

offend....  Cheesy Cheesy   you wish!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 2:10pm

Any person who can grab a cricket ball in their hands again after it has just smashed their schnozzer in like a sac-whack... has to be the greatest catch of all time, so far.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:19pm

Nah...dunno the names but the greatest 20 20 catch was when old mate caught it on the boundary but momentum was taking him over the rope so he threw it undersidearm back in field for another team mate to catch it.

Boony or ponting would have to have some crackers too.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 12:06am

Captain Caveman wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:19pm:
Nah...dunno the names but the greatest 20 20 catch was when old mate caught it on the boundary but momentum was taking him over the rope so he threw it undersidearm back in field for another team mate to catch it.

Boony or ponting would have to have some crackers too.

Nah - there's no 'blood' in those catches.
Those catches are 'Poof' catches. Roll Eyes
Cutting just had his face smashed in and still went to complete the catch. Did they honestly think he was going to just stand up and present it to the bowler as a congratulations gesture? Huh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print