Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Aussies prefer 'Simple Foods' (Read 1120 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Aussies prefer 'Simple Foods'
Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:29pm

A survey, conducted by BZKOK, has found that the vast majority of Australians, prefer 'simpler foods'. The idea of a 'complicated' meal, is off-putting and time consuming. So most Australians just 'cook' simpler meals for people for starters. Master Chefs of grand food designs might be popular on Television - but in reality, the majority of Australians don't even bother with such styles and tastes. TV is only Australian in its own mind.

The more straight-forward and simpler the meal, the more popular.
As one extraordinary Cook commented
"This is the 'national' style of Australian cuisine/food. It is the style of poverty, for it is from a people, who are so busy working their lives away, that they have 'no time' for such time-consuming complicated, delicate meals of extravagance and their taste itself is by choice because the nature of this study was to give such 'poor' Australians these Upper Cuisine Styles - for 'free'. They still preferred the Simpler Foods.
Which bring's in the fact that its a food that is enjoyed by not just 'poor' Australians. Middle-class and wealthy class also prefer the simpler style and that's where the majority of 'Income on Food' is spent. So really, how 'poor' are those/these innovators of that 'simple style meals' these days?  Huh Anything relating to this 'Australian Style' is where the money is being made in the Food Industry."

But another Chef considered the best in the Country by the majority of Chefs/Cooks/etc, said:
"Australians prefer the 'Simpler Style' not because they are poor, but because they are 'Lazy' and that's why the vast majority of these 'Australian meals' are pre-packaged and made to be just heated up, etc."

One Resturant Owner who serves the 'Simpler Style' and is racking it in mentioned:
"It's up to me as a 'paid' Chef/Cook/etc to provide the  Australian people with what they want, not what the TV wants. I am rewarded for my efforts by riding on the Australian Gravy Train. They are not 'lazy' - they are busy doing a lot in life and doing the things that I can not, for sometimes - due to not having the 'Time'.
They are riding their Gravy Trains too."
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:39pm by Jasin »  

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Aussies prefer 'Simple Foods'
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:04pm

The admirable thing about Jamie Oliver is he sought to counter this. He wanted to get people to eat simple - but fresh - food. Cheap to buy, easy to make, and he got excellent ratings.

Problem solved, right?

Alas, his audience watched, but didn't listen.

And that's the power of processed fast food.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:12pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:04pm:
The admirable thing about Jamie Oliver is he sought to counter this. He wanted to get people to eat simple - but fresh - food. Cheap to buy, easy to make, and he got excellent ratings.

Problem solved, right?

Jamie is the only decent TV chef out there.

I get lots of great ideas from him.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:20pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:12pm:

Problem solved, right?

And what's interesting is that all his projects failed. School dinners, his Housing Commission show, the lot.

Brits, Yanks and Australians - for all their interest - never really changed their ways.

To me, this says a lot about food as an industry, as an economy. No matter how big Jamie Oliver became, he couldn't change it.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:24pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:20pm:

Problem solved, right?

And what's interesting is that all his projects failed. School dinners, his Housing Commission show, the lot.

Brits, Yanks and Australians - for all their interest - never really changed their ways.

To me, this says a lot about food as an industry, as an economy. No matter how big Jamie Oliver became, he couldn't change it.

Yes, and you can see the frustration on his face (and hear it in his voice).

He does everything right, but fat Steve & Janeen won't listen.

They just want their chicken nuggets and cola.

Can we blame Islam?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:35pm

Problem solved, right?

Rick Stein is another. Doesn't over do the produce and a nice bloke.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:41pm

Problem solved, right?

That's the illusion that people incorrectly have, that being 'simple' means being 'processed' - being 'simple' is being 'fresh' and 'growing your own'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:44pm

I catch and grow a lot of the food I eat. The fish is fresher than anything you can buy, and better quality species than nearly everything in the supermarket. And a lot of the fruit I grow cannot be bought and tastes a lot better than what is available in the shops. I eat a lot of it straight off the vine or tree. Whether this is simple or complicated is all a matter of perspective, as it does take 'work,' but for me it is recreation. Probably a similar concept to an italian spending time making an extravagant desert from highly processed ingredients. They would only do it if they enjoy cooking.

Most Australians are too lazy or too busy to grow their own food.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:10pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:24pm:

Problem solved, right?

Can we blame Islam?

Perfect - saved by Islam.

And yes, Jamie Oliver himself acknowledges his frustration. He certainly tried harder than anyone else to market fresh food, that's for sure. Didn't he do an ad for Woolworths?

But as Aquascoot always says, Fat Steve and Janeen need to be forced to do what's right for them. The way to do this is to install a strong, confident leader who eats McDonalds, drinks Diet Coke, and spends the majority of his day watching TV.

This leader can then pump them full of masterful lies on Twitter. He can do it in his pyjamas and dressing gown. In fact, he should lead from his bed. If he needs dialysis, oxygen or a catheter, he just has to ask. He can tell everybody to innovate, work hard and make everything great.

Nestle, Proctor & Gamble and Nabisco can then neutralise the betas of this world, and that includes apologist leftards like Jamie Oliver. Better still, they can pay him off.

We will make Amerika great again, no?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:14pm

Fat Steve and Janeen are the way they are because they have no-one to 'threaten' them... their lives.
They have been living in perfect idyllic lazy bliss - for doing nothing on an island resort is no different than doing nothing, at Fat Steve & Janeen's house.
To live an unthreatened life in this age of extinctions and threatened species of 'people', is a miracle to behold!

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:17pm

freediver wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:44pm:
I catch and grow a lot of the food I eat. The fish is fresher than anything you can buy, and better quality species than nearly everything in the supermarket. And a lot of the fruit I grow cannot be bought and tastes a lot better than what is available in the shops. I eat a lot of it straight off the vine or tree. Whether this is simple or complicated is all a matter of perspective, as it does take 'work,' but for me it is recreation. Probably a similar concept to an italian spending time making an extravagant desert from highly processed ingredients. They would only do it if they enjoy cooking.

But is it lazy? Most people I know are running around doing crap. They say they don't have any time.

How do you do it?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:18pm

Whatever you prioritise the most is what you do.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:18pm

Anyone seen the ad for that 'cooking show' (out of many  Roll Eyes) - where the 'Arab' (could be moslem?) actually 'lies' (cheats) and then admits to it as a confession - but its something 'sinister' because the confession is aimed directly at the French Chef.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:14pm

freediver wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:18pm:
Whatever you prioritise the most is what you do.

Do you have a job?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:16pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:18pm:
Anyone seen the ad for that 'cooking show' (out of many  Roll Eyes) - where the 'Arab' (could be moslem?) actually 'lies' (cheats) and then admits to it as a confession - but its something 'sinister' because the confession is aimed directly at the French Chef.

I most certainly have not, JaSin. But why would Arabs (could be a Moslem) be on TV (cheats) if they weren't doing anything wrong?

Tell me that.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:15am

I worked with a guy in a managerial position who was earning $ 200,000+ a year in 2001. He told me that he believed $20 per person was a lot to spend on a restaurant meal.

He probably ate spam and bread for meals at home.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:22am

That, my son, is why we prefer to accept you while we eat you alive every day.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:29am

Well... in any given week.. using basic ingredients and a few spices and a lot of stuff grown in the garden out back...... we (the ex and I) manage quite a few different styles of eating.... Chinese, Thai, Italian.... Aussie (not that way, Aussie)....

I suppose it's simple, but really, most food is - all these chef shows are rubbish to fill in space on TV... and who really wants to eat the kind of stuff they bring up?

I once asked a guy whose wife insisted on being home from the club for Masterchef (I was the club bus driver - the manager figured that my counter-terrorism skills would work well there) - if he'd ever had one MC meal cooked for him - he said NO!

But his wife loved that show!!

When I saw an ad on TV that Masterchef was coming back for its (believe it!) 10th year - I groaned....

How TF does a show like that filled with such utter rubbish, manage to live longer than one season?

TF is wrong with you people and your approval of TV programs?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 1:10am

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:17pm:

But is it lazy? Most people I know are running around doing crap. They say they don't have any time.

How do you do it?
you might be surprised to know that the average person spends one third of their time watching a screen. This isnt exactly running around doing crap. Ditch the screens, plenty of time to do stuff.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:43am

rhino wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 1:10am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:17pm:

How do you do it?
you might be surprised to know that the average person spends one third of their time watching a screen. This isnt exactly running around doing crap. Ditch the screens, plenty of time to do stuff.

Maybe these Australians provide and enjoy receiving the 'simpler style' because they do it a lot, maybe nearly every night - due to social reasons originally?
Whereas something made via Masterchef or MKR would be done once a week or few weeks and take longer to prepare and achieve (cost greater?).
I've been invited to many a household where the back grounds of these people range from Anglo to Laotian, from Zimbabwean to Vermont, USA. But now that I think about it - they too seemed to incorporate a 'simplicity' to their meals, rather than complicate them with elaborate and multi-tastes in the one dish, etc.

I mean - at Xmas, the national 'Xmas' dish of Australia seems to be just a bowl of Prawns. Huh

KARNAL: That arab (possibly moslem?) contestant who seems to challenge the authority of the French (Mani?) chef - is on MKR.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:06am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:24pm:

Problem solved, right?

Can we blame Islam?

Grin You're everybody today ey?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:14am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:29am:
Well... in any given week.. using basic ingredients and a few spices and a lot of stuff grown in the garden out back...... we (the ex and I) manage quite a few different styles of eating.... Chinese, Thai, Italian.... Aussie (not that way, Aussie)....

I suppose it's simple, but really, most food is - all these chef shows are rubbish to fill in space on TV... and who really wants to eat the kind of stuff they bring up?

I once asked a guy whose wife insisted on being home from the club for Masterchef (I was the club bus driver - the manager figured that my counter-terrorism skills would work well there) - if he'd ever had one MC meal cooked for him - he said NO!

When I saw an ad on TV that Masterchef was coming back for its (believe it!) 10th year - I groaned....

How TF does a show like that filled with such utter rubbish, manage to live longer than one season?

Well how TF did someone come up with GoggleBox? .... & yes idiot people watch idiot people watching TV. Grin

Unbelievable rubbish.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 2:23pm

Gnads wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:14am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:29am:

Well how TF did someone come up with GoggleBox? .... & yes idiot people watch idiot people watching TV. Grin

Unbelievable rubbish.

Hence why Trump preferred to use the Internet at least to promo his campaign to be President and rejected Television to some degree (Hence the Media hatred of Trump).
It proved to be a success with the USA public.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 11:59am

Lets not forget...

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 12:35pm

No I like Gordon Ramsey.
I actually worked 'dishwasher' at the Stokehouse in St Kilda - many years ago. Besides an ongoing 'war' with the other dishwashers from Sri Lanka (who didn't like a white guy doing a menial job, better - than what they could do). The Chef was like a 'Pre-Ramsey' Pommie built like a bulldog. He would cuss, swear and really get up the staff. The more he shouted at us - the more the customers packed in.

Alas - for the British or Anglo-Saxons, their 'verbal' aspect is exceptional (Politics), compared to say 'Northern, Eastern and even Southern European extract'.
But it is also their downfall.
Australian Sportsmen who 'sledge' seem to do themselves in or 'choke' for the grace to be able to sledge others.
Briggs lost against Adamek (voted by Ring Mag as most brutal rounds 8-9 of all time) because he 'talked' too much.

Now 'Cooking' is really a 'doing' thing, with Art (display of food) and Politics (commentary of food) being minor accessories. So Gordon Ramsey places a lot more to his 'verbal dialect' of Cooking. He would in essence make for one of the best Cooking 'Commentators' if ever there was one.

And I totally support his use of swear words - its apparently good enough to use in the Military and Sport... and lies are ok in Politics (to think Hillary nearly got in  Roll Eyes).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print