Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Pauline Hanson's Plan To Kill Cane Toads (Read 3739 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Pauline Hanson's Plan To Kill Cane Toads
Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:06pm

Pauline Hanson’s radical plans to kill cane toads   Sad

news.com.au January 9, 2019

Pauline Hanson says welfare recipients should be put to work killing cane toads.

The One Nation leader’s plan would see Work for the Dole recipients get paid 10 cents for each toad they collect in a three-month, collect-a-toad campaign during the summer, The Courier Mail reports.

Senator Hanson has written to Prime Minister Scott Morrison to back the federally funded scheme in Queensland, NSW, Western Australia and the Northern Territory as a way to eradicate the cane toad menace.

Her suggestion comes as the government slams Labor’s proposed welfare system reform.

Ms Hanson told Today this morning that cane toads were dangerous to the environment and ate bees, beetles, lizards and quolls. They were also poisonous to crocodiles and dingoes.

“They are very much a pest and a menace,” she said.

She noted there were now an estimated 200 million cane toads in Australia, despite an eradication program in 2008 and they have now migrated from the area near Cairns in Far North Queensland down to NSW and into the Northern Territory.

“They are not a nice animal and they breed,” she said.

“I have written to the Prime Minister saying, ‘look, all those people out there Work for the Dole are doing absolutely nothing, or even kids that are on holidays’, put down the iPads, get out there, collect the cane toads ... and clean up our environment.”

Ms Hanson said she saw people taking bottles out of rubbish bins for 10 cents and in some areas where there were a lot of cane toads, someone could pick up hundreds in one night.

“I think it is great for the kids to get out and do this, under the supervision of their parents if they are young,” she said.

When asked about the possibility that a black market would emerge with some people breeding toads to get the money, Ms Hanson said she didn’t think they would do that for 10 cents.

“They are moving further south and west and something needs to be done about it.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Pauline Hanson's Plan To Kill Cane Toads
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:18pm

Could be a market in Asia for cane toad meat...  market it as South Pacific Flying Fish or something.. if they can get away with South American Flathead.... the world's your oyster..... how about Queensland Abalone Meat?

Perhaps politicians could put in one day a week Cane Toad Queensland Abalone harvesting to show the way...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:23pm

I thought handling cane toads was dangerous as they excrete poison....Does Hanson want children handling cane toads for a 10c reward???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:30pm

And you all thought I was joking when I mentioned this earlier today  Grin

IP Logged

JollyGreenGiant

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:30pm

Does anybody think that even a 5 year old (with gloves) would pick up a cane toad for 10 cents?

The Tooth Fairy is up to 5 bucks I hear.  Grin

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:37pm

"This has been suggested hundreds of times and anyone who's ever thought about it for very long decides it's a terrible idea."

"Professor Rob Capon from the University of Queensland said it was an old, rehashed idea that could never logistically work."

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:38pm

Get rid of work for the dole rubbish.   Sad

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:43pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:30pm:
Does anybody think that even a 5 year old (with gloves) would pick up a cane toad for 10 cents?

10 cents is not enough - it should be $1 each.
I mean - how does it cover your petrol & car costs to take them to the right place?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:47pm

oh I dunno... my 9 ,yr old g.s. is collecting bottles to recycle at 10c a pop..

we have funny ideas in this country.....not long ago people were encouraged to gather the frogs put them to sleep in a freezer.. omg...then get rid of them   cant remember how,....

the point it..

these toads are a menace...as well as god awful ugly....and yes full of poison...and yes they need to be got rid of....they are already in W.A...

now if I found one on my doorstep I would kill it...

what harm can it do   but to try??...people sadly do like being PAID to lend a hand....maybe make it 20cent  more incentive....no I wouldn t expect it to come off their dole money at all.....

but if you prefer to play politics because its Hansen.. well good luck with that fixing anything. Sad

IP Logged

JollyGreenGiant

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:47pm

whiteknight wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:38pm:
Get rid of work for the dole rubbish.   Sad

Great idea. If they can't work, cut their dole by $50 a week.  Cheesy

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:49pm

cods wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:47pm:
oh I dunno... my 9 ,yr old g.s. is collecting bottles to recycle at 10c a pop..

we have funny ideas in this country.....not long ago people were encouraged to gather the frogs put them to sleep in a freezer.. omg...then get rid of them   cant remember how,....

the point it..

these toads are
a menace...as well as god awful ugly....and yes full of poison...and yes they need to be got rid of....they are already in W.A...

now if I found one on my doorstep I would kill it...

what harm can it do   but to try??...people sadly do like being PAID to lend a hand....maybe make it 20cent  more incentive....no I wouldn t expect it to come off their dole money at all.....

but if you prefer to play politics because its Hansen.. well good luck with that fixing anything.
Sad

Hanson, you mean?

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:49pm

Hi Bobby.  Do you really think the government cares about your travel and car costs?.   Sad

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:50pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:43pm:
JollyGreenGiant wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:30pm:

10 cents is not enough - it should be $1 each.
I mean - how does it cover your petrol & car costs to take them to the right place?

I didnt see this bobby.......from what I hear bobs they are everywhere.....the thin g is getting out at night   I believe thats the best time.......

I had a Qld work mate and she told me up there they would climb up lamp posts one on top of the other pyramid style...I am glad I never saw that..

maybe they need to come up with  mortein spray just for can toads.. ugh!!!!!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:54pm

whiteknight wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:49pm:
Hi Bobby.  Do you really think the government cares about your travel and car costs?.   Sad

Of course they don't,
Hanson must have been drunk & written this idea on a beer coaster.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 6:18pm

Just tell the Abos you can get high from them, and they'll be gone in no time.

Kids smoking cane toads

By Greg McLean

28-09-2005

CHILDREN as young as 12 are licking cane toads in an attempt to get high, the Northern Territory News has learned.

Some children and teenagers in Katherine and Arnhem Land are even drying out the skins of cane toads and rolling them up as joints to get a hit.

But Territory health authorities have warned that those who lick or smoke cane toads are dicing with death and stress that there are no hallucinogenic effects possible from bufo toxin, the toxin excreted by the introduced pest.

Director of emergency medicine at Royal Darwin Hospital Didier Palmer said anyone who ingests bufo toxin is more likely to die than get high from it.

"These are very foolish and dangerous acts," he said.

"Anyone who does this runs the very serious risk of seizures, a rapid loss of consciousness, cardio-vascular collapse and death."

Researchers investigating what substances petrol sniffers in Arnhem Land abuse were shocked to be told that some were skinning cane toads, drying them and smoking them.

Maranboy police also report they had to take a road worker into custody last month after he licked a cane toad while intoxicated.

It is understood the man's eyes rolled in the back of his head and he became extremely aggressive, and began shaking uncontrollably after licking the bufo toxin.

Officer-in-charge of Maranboy police, Brevet Sergeant Angelo Denale, said it was unclear whether the man's aggression was caused by alcohol or bufo toxin but warned against experimenting with the dangerous substance.

"Whether or not he became aggressive from licking cane toads, smoking cannabis or alcohol, it is a recipe for disaster," he said.

"Licking cane toads gives off some form of poison and it's obviously bad for your health."

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7007-kids-smoking-cane-to...

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print