Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Nukes
Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:59am

issuevoter wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 8:26am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 8:09am:
issuevoter wrote on Dec 24th, 2018 at 5:30pm:
You believe the religious tyrants of Iran should have nuclear weapons.

Not true issue - but I've already pointed that out to you several times.

Not true? You questioned why it would not be fair for Iran, under religious fanatics (like yourself), to have nuclear weapons, because the West has them. You were not being either pragmatic or impartial, you were obliquely supporting nuclear weapons for the Islamic Republic of Iran, the clerical leaders of which, have stated Israel will not exist in 10 years. That is now down to about 7. You are a liar for Islam, and you are so shallow, you are not even aware of your own transparency.

Issue raises a couple of important issues (so to speak) that I think are relevant to the global problem of nuclear proliferation.

He alludes to the evil Iranian regime and how abhorrent it is for them to acquire nuclear weapons on account of their alleged threat to wipe Israel off the map.

I agree with one thing - how abhorrent it would be for Iran to acquire nukes. Thats something I think we can all agree on. But for me the real issue is that of incentive and what drives nations to acquire nukes. In my view it is the most infantile and crass argument to merely point at Iran, or for that matter North Korea and say "evil regime - bad - they want to acquire nukes to destroy us and spread their evil - because their evil - gah!" Sure, nukes are evil, and yes, being evil per se would undoubtedly be a reason in and of itself to acquire nukes.

But lets get real - it is simply absurd to try and understand the motivation for acquiring nukes without considering the global nuclear monopolies that exist today. Iran is a particularly salient case in this regards. Focusing only on a completely mythical existential threat to Israel is laughable - when ignoring the fact that Israel is literally the only nation in the region with the military capability of "wiping" a country "off the map" - courtesty of being the sole nuclear power. The only actual existential threat that exists in the middle east, is that posed by Israel towards its neighbours. Thus to dismiss this as the most relevant factor in understanding Iran's (alleged) desire to acquire nukes, is simply absurd. Yet, in most mainstream discussions on the topic, it is only viewed through the prism of Iran the aggressor.

So the question I posed, which issue so badly mutilated - is how can we expect Iran to give up nuclear ambitions while the country that openly threatens and taunts them has a huge arsenal of them, and is allowed to keep them? And even more absurdly, how can we not understand Iran's nuclear ambitions within the context of simple self-defense/deterrence against this overt existential threat that they face? It has nothing to do with "not fair" or "its their right" - its just a common sense way of approaching a workable solution to what we all want - non-proliferation of nukes.

How do we expect *ANY* non-nuclear nation to not want and pursue nukes while ever other nations - especially nations they see as a threat - maintain exclusive rights to their existing arsenals of nukes?

Basically, you want a realistic and workable roadmap to global denuclearisation? Start with existing nuclear powers at least conceding that its not reasonable or practical to stamp out proliferation/attempted proliferation by non-nuclear nations until they relinquish exclusive rights to their nukes.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Nukes
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 11:55am

But the Israelis are the good guys.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:48pm by Bobby. »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:54pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 11:55am:
But the Israeles are the good guys.

Sure of that Bobby?  I wonder what the Palestineans think about that?  Mmmm?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:49pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:54pm:

Sure of that Bobby?  I wonder what the Palestinians think about that?  Mmmm?    Roll Eyes

Who would you rather trust with an atom bomb -

the Israelis or the Palestinians?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:51pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:49pm:

Sure of that Bobby?  I wonder what the Palestinians think about that?  Mmmm?    Roll Eyes

Did you read the OP and understand what was being said, Bobby?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:58pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:51pm:

Did you read the OP and understand what was being said, Bobby?

Aussie,
The fact is that no country should have evil nuclear weapons.
The trouble is you can't put the genie back into the bottle.
If the world hasn't been annihilated by nuclear weapons
in say 100 years you can bet there will still be plenty of them in existence.

It's an awful fact of life that we have to live with.
There is no impetus by any of the nuclear powers to get rid of them.
They all think that if they don't have them other countries will nuke them.
How can you answer that?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 3:38pm

Sure.....get rid of them all but until then...what Gandalf said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:23pm

Quote:
So the question I posed, which issue so badly mutilated - is how can we expect Iran to give up nuclear ambitions while the country that openly threatens and taunts them has a huge arsenal of them, and is allowed to keep them?

That's pretty much the only way we can expect them to.

Quote:
How do we expect *ANY* non-nuclear nation to not want and pursue nukes while ever other nations - especially nations they see as a threat - maintain exclusive rights to their existing arsenals of nukes?

Being the only country in the world with nukes is a far greater incentive to have them than being one of many. Gandalf your whole argument is an unrealistic fantasy. Your opening position that no countries should have nukes is unviable, naive, idiotic etc.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:43pm

The tiny Islands of Pitcairn have a Hyper-Fusion Core Annihilator. One blast to the core of the planet with this - and the whole world implodes.
As you can see - the entire world, does as the Pitcairn Islanders deem fit. Being a Super Power with 'the power of destruction over others'...

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:49pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:59am:

Not true? You questioned why it would not be fair for Iran, under religious fanatics (like yourself), to have nuclear weapons, because the West has them. You were not being either pragmatic or impartial, you were obliquely supporting nuclear weapons for the Islamic Republic of Iran, the clerical leaders of which, have stated Israel will not exist in 10 years. That is now down to about 7. You are a liar for Islam, and you are so shallow, you are not even aware of your own transparency.

Issue raises a couple of important issues (so to speak) that I think are relevant to the global problem of nuclear proliferation.

He alludes to the evil Iranian regime and how abhorrent it is for them to acquire nuclear weapons on account of their alleged threat to wipe Israel off the map.

I agree with one thing - how abhorrent it would be for Iran to acquire nukes. Thats something I think we can all agree on. But for me the real issue is that of incentive and what drives nations to acquire nukes. In my view it is the most infantile and crass argument to merely point at Iran, or for that matter North Korea and say "evil regime - bad - they want to acquire nukes to destroy us and spread their evil - because their evil - gah!" Sure, nukes are evil, and yes, being evil per se would undoubtedly be a reason in and of itself to acquire nukes.

But lets get real - it is simply absurd to try and understand the motivation for acquiring nukes without considering the global nuclear monopolies that exist today. Iran is a particularly salient case in this regards. Focusing only on a completely mythical existential threat to Israel is laughable - when ignoring the fact that Israel is literally the only nation in the region with the military capability of "wiping" a country "off the map" - courtesty of being the sole nuclear power. The only actual existential threat that exists in the middle east, is that posed by Israel towards its neighbours. Thus to dismiss this as the most relevant factor in understanding Iran's (alleged) desire to acquire nukes, is simply absurd. Yet, in most mainstream discussions on the topic, it is only viewed through the prism of Iran the aggressor.

So the question I posed, which issue so badly mutilated - is how can we expect Iran to give up nuclear ambitions while the country that openly threatens and taunts them has a huge arsenal of them, and is allowed to keep them? And even more absurdly, how can we not understand Iran's nuclear ambitions within the context of simple self-defense/deterrence against this overt existential threat that they face? It has nothing to do with "not fair" or "its their right" - its just a common sense way of approaching a workable solution to what we all want - non-proliferation of nukes.

Basically, you want a realistic and workable roadmap to global denuclearisation? Start with existing nuclear powers at least conceding that its not reasonable or practical to stamp out proliferation/attempted proliferation by non-nuclear nations until they relinquish exclusive rights to their nukes.

You are dishonest - nothing new.  You want the 'shia dogs' to do the dirty work by wrangling nukes to wipe Israel.  You are an open book of lies and deceit, son of Mohammed.
You cannot be a Muslim and be honest. Contradiction in terms.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:57pm

Israel has held the threat of nuclear annihilation over the heads of Arab nations.   Does that fit in well with your description of them as the "good guys"?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 8:38am

freediver wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:23pm:
Gandalf your whole argument is an unrealistic fantasy. Your opening position that no countries should have nukes is unviable, naive, idiotic etc.

Thank you for contradicting your rather offensive claim in another thread that my desire was for evil Islamic regimes to have nukes.

I like being naive, idiotic etc - when it means literally standing up for our very survival as a species.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 8:39am

Frank wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:49pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:59am:

You are dishonest - nothing new.  You want the 'shia dogs' to do the dirty work by wrangling nukes to wipe Israel.  You are an open book of lies and deceit, son of Mohammed.
You cannot be a Muslim and be honest. Contradiction in terms.

absolutely, never-ever, on stilts.

Quote:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 10:13am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:57pm:

Israel has held the threat of nuclear annihilation over the heads of Arab nations.   Does that fit in well with your description of them as the "good guys"?   Roll Eyes

Google the Samson Option.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 11:47am

Ever since the USA developed nuclear capabilities, it is inevitable that the other opposing and allied world powers does the same.  Mostly for self preservation, and the overall treat of mutual destruction.   However, after those more advanced powers obtained those, they would not want other countries to have it either.   If everyone else have a nuclear warhead then what the worth of your own? 

Even world powers like Russia and China, who backs Iran, did not want Iran have nuclear weapons.  The reason is simple, people are playing the long game, who knows if allies of today, would be enemies of tomorrow.  And dont think for a moment that China is happy about nuclear capabilities of North Korea either.

The world is an interesting place.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print