Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bali exploits Aboriginal Art (Read 1014 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Bali exploits Aboriginal Art
Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:01pm

Quickly saw a segment on 60minutes regarding how the Balinese are producing FAKE Aboriginal 'souvenirs' from Digeridoos to Boomerangs.
All fake, machine made and under-cutting authentic Aboriginal items.
Head of Australian Standards for Labelling says that they are Legal, but unfair. The Aust Standards are reviewing.

80% of Aboriginal 'items' are FAKE and non-authentic.

As long as its not 'white' people making them - its ok.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Bali exploits Aboriginal Art
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:16pm

I just saw a small bit on that....  seems a mean thing for them to do...it is after all part of  Aboriginal culture ..

someone needs to tell them that

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:33pm

cods wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:16pm:
I just saw a small bit on that....  seems a mean thing for them to do...it is after all part of  Aboriginal culture ..

someone needs to tell them that

True. But surely the Aboriginal 'authentic' stuff can be successful regarding something like Rolls Royces over Great Wall utes?
I mean - if people want the 'authentic' Rolls Royce stuff, then $500 for an item is the go.
If people just want a $5 item - then the fake, machine made, Balinese manufactured 'crap' is there for the taking.

I mean - do the Aboriginals think that they can have 'complete' and utter control on their world? I mean - they don't even provide for the shipping, distribution and more to get their stuff out into the 'market'.

I know its sentimentally sad. But I think the Aboriginals need to just up their own game and sell their wares as a more 'prestigious' quality over the cheap fake Balinese 'quantity'. I mean - do they really want to lower their own standards for 'mass production'?

Australian made Violins are the best in the world. The Company that makes them are a 'quality' over quantity and its a huge success because of that. As are all the 'quality' based Australian business's over the 'quantity' based ones.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:17pm

So unfair because the machine made boomerangs may not come back and the didgeridoos will be out of tune  Grin Grin Grin

I once knew a guy who ran an aboriginal art shop. He looked aboriginal but he was actually Turkish  Grin

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:43pm

I wonder if anyone was ever down on Albert Namatjira for cultural appropriation.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 12:40am

Cu Chulainn wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:43pm:
I wonder if anyone was ever down on Albert Namatjira for cultural appropriation.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 12:56am

Oh, well - when it's a consumer economy and nothing is sacred.......... anything goes on the global economy market.... we should privatise the Australian War Memorial and let private enterprise run it more efficiently  ... ahhhhhh... ha, ha, ha ,ha, ha, ha, ha .....

The Australian Kaffirs long ago sold their souls for thirty pieces of silverside.... why should they be concerned if Indos can make a dollar out of their............................ 'culture'?

You'll get there one day, Grasshoppers..... oh...... and ltyc... but he needs a few centuries to catch up with real people:-

BTW - the Cherokees were an Eastern nation forced to follow The Trail of Tears... they did not ride horse until they met with, in the Indian Nations, various members of other tribes, and many such eventually mingled with the Sioux (La Kota - The People) and became part of the Plains Indians culture..

I am, according to my mother, the Indian in the family... far western Lakota near the Rockies.... and I once played Chief Joseph of that tribal group, which may have included some Cherokee....

Explains my beautiful olive skin and my attitudes to life...
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:47am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 12:31pm

Been going on since at least 2010. Why is this news?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 12:36pm

Amadd wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:17pm:
So unfair because the machine made boomerangs may not come back and the didgeridoos will be out of tune  Grin Grin Grin

I once knew a guy who ran an aboriginal art shop. He looked aboriginal but he was actually Turkish  Grin

Grin Grin Grin

I seem to remember they [ aboriginals] accused other pointillism artists  of stealing their art form.... Grin Grin

however I do see the difference in hand made and machine made.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:09pm

Neat clip Ye Grappler. A bit 'cheesy' - but decent.

Anyway - maybe the Asians sold North American Indians out via the Judaism Contract?
Just like the Africans sold Australian Aboriginals out via the Mohommedism Contract?

For those Indians who 'now' consider only themselves in America as 'Native' and detach themselves from any other race or people's who are born in America to be 'native' also?
If so, then no wonder they are on the 'outer' of the American way (the global collective) and get the short straw and 2nd hand stuff.
No different to Black people being snobs in America and saying they are 'African' ...as if Africa belongs to black people 'only'  Roll Eyes

Oh there is so much that could be said about the 'bitter' loss of 'old' Indians ways - but when an Apache covers himself in feathers and says he is "One with the Sky Spirit", while overhead flies a Stealth Fighter past a Space Shuttle heading space-ward in the distance by 'Americans' - all he will get is an award for 'best dressed' at the Spirituality Awards Night.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:13pm

Grappler is having another fantasy about being an American Indian.

Grappler has forsaken his British 'roots'.

Closet poms and poms have been exploiting and cheating Aboriginals over their art since 1788.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:19pm by Laugh till you cry »  

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:18pm

Yes well - they used to 'steal' Artworks from the Aboriginals and take them overseas to be sold for lots of money.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:28pm

The most interesting Aboriginal art is less than 50 years old and is an indigenous western fusion, so claiming some sacred birthright being stolen is total BS.

IBI

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:21pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:28pm:
The most interesting Aboriginal art is less than 50 years old and is an indigenous western fusion, so claiming some sacred birthright being stolen is total BS.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:42pm

I think you meant to direct that image to Aussie.

He's the expert on everything Indian

The Supreme Court ruled in 2013 that the “two-finger test”, which involves a doctor inserting fingers into the vagina to determine if the victim is sexually active, violated the right to privacy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-sexcrimes-justice/indian-rape-survivors-still-subjected-to-intrusive-illegal-tests-idUSKBN1EZ0PX

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print