Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Delhi (Read 1451 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

New Delhi
Jan 5th, 2019 at 7:21pm

Just watched an ABC story on 'smog' there.  Disaster in the making,  Yes, rampant lung problems soon.  When I was last there,  I was actually chewing the atmosphere,  it had substance.  You could feel the grit on your teeth.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: New Delhi
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 8:27pm

"when I was last there" Lol.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 8:43pm

Bet you're like a kid in a candy shop  Wink

IBI

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 8:47pm

Famously Ozzie declared on his alleged trip to India,
A. There was little poverty evident and
B. everything appeared quite clean.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 8:51pm

rhino wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 8:47pm:
Famously Ozzie declared on his alleged trip to India,
A. There was little poverty evident and
B. everything appeared quite clean.

No turds on the ground and full of hot women Wink

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 9:25pm

I went close, as close as Kathmandu could be like India.
From Kathmandu - I pictured India as a man who died from starvation via poverty, who wasted his life away on just breeding out as many children as he could, with as many women as he could. India was the dying beggar of the World, out-lived by his children (left fatherless). About as 'Spiritual' a nation as a sex addict could be.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 9:47pm

Damn - I was hoping to do Tibet this year... pretty restricted by the Chink 'owners'... might have to settle for Kathmandu..... but I like Tibet...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:06pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 9:47pm:
Damn - I was hoping to do Tibet this year... pretty restricted by the Chink 'owners'... might have to settle for Kathmandu..... but I like Tibet...

Nepal is like the front of the building where they put on a show for everyone and sell their wares in stalls, etc.
Tibet is where they keep it 'in-house' and for 'Buddhists only'. But the Han Chinese have basically barged into their house and have successfully made Buddhism there 'submit' to Communism. It's a 'failure' of Buddhism, that Tibet can never come back from - even if Communism ended next year.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:55pm

i was in Nepal in 81. Fascinating place.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 6:36am

I didnt think we were allowed to talk about anything that might relate to aussie or his family Sad Sad

its getting so confusing here....

can we possibly have the rules again on this one....thank you!

we could all be accused of doxxing  aaaggggaaaain.... Cry

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:53am

rhino wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:55pm:

Not enough rickshaws for my liking.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:23am

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:53am:

You could find a rickshaw anywhere it seems, even where they dont exist. We should call this thread, Ozzy and karmels bull dust travel tales.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 12:17pm

rhino wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:23am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:53am:

You could find a rickshaw anywhere it seems, even where they dont exist. We should call this thread, Ozzy and karmels bull dust travel tales.

Oh, I know.

Honk if you're horny, Honky!

IMG_4209.JPG (236 KB | 11 )
IMG_4209.JPG

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 12:51pm

Allow me to regale you of a tale in old Calcutta.

I'm on the corner of Sudder Street looking for a room. There's a few around, but it's hot and they're crappy. A rickshaw driver offers me a lift, I say no thanks, he pesters me anyway. He knows I'm looking for a room.

Anyway, he follows me while pulling his rickshaw. Try this place! Try this one! I did try a couple, but they were no good. One was only half a room - the bottom half. You couldn't stand up in it.

I was doing all the looking, not the rickshaw guy. I didn't want to get on his rickshaw. Not only would I just have to get off again, I didn't want to be seen travelling on a rickshaw.

Anyway, I find the Hotel Aafreen. It's good. I get a room. Then he's out the front, waiting, holding his rickshaw. I thought the hotel would give him a commission, but they asked why I'd bother dealing with him. You don't need someone to show you hotels!

I felt sorry for him and gave him 50 rupees. Like all the other rickshaw pullers, he probably slept in his rickshaw on Park Street when the cops weren't beating them up.

When in Kolkata, cast and crew choose to stay at the jolly Hotel Aafreen.

IMG_4267.JPG (56 KB | 10 )
IMG_4267.JPG

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 1:32pm

Oh, one more. I'm going back to Kolkata another time, but getting in late.

You can't book the Aafreen online and I don't want to stuff around, so I find their number and make a long-distance call to book. They book me the room, but say, just call a couple of days earlier to confirm.

?

Anyway, it's a couple of days earlier. I plan to get into Kolkata at 1am, and unlike every other major city in the world, it closes down at 10pm. Hotel boys sleep in the reception, cops go home, and the rickshaw pullers take the opportunity to sleep on Park Street.

I'm in KL, so I find a place that sells international calls to Kolkata. I call the Aafreen. Language problems. He says it's booked out. What about my booking? The phone goes dead.

Now I don't want to be sleeping on Park Street, so I book a cheap place online and try my luck.

I get to Kolkata at about 12.30. It's dead, little lumps of people in blankets and sleeping dogs on the footpaths. After an hour of looking, I find my cheap hotel. It's dead too. I shout into the dark and wake someone up. A fat, balding silhouette shouts from inside. Booking for tomorrow! Yes, I say, but it is now tomorrow! He says, no, in India, it is today! I say, who cares? You've got the room, just let me in to sleep and I'll pay you! No, you go! But where can I go? That is not my problem!

I yell for a bit, then realise it's a complete waste of time. It's his property. It's his law.

It's now 1.30. I walk around looking for hotels. The rickshaw pullers don't want my business now. I walk past the Aafreen. Closed. So much for that. Finally, at 2am, after some help from a street guy, I find a place at the back of some alley way, up some stairs. Another half-room. Dirty sheets, a bin full of rubbish, a black fan making industrial noises and wires everywhere. There's rat sht on a window ledge, but no glass in the window. Cardboard, I think, but the flywire's black with dust, so you can't tell.

I take it. This time, they pay off the street guy (but take it out of my bill), a win-win.

I wake up at 6am, sweating. The room's a sauna, I have to get out. I pay, get some tea on the street somewhere, but can't think. If I try to catch a train out, I'll have to deal with the ticket queues at Howrah Station and the ticket sellers telling me to go from one booth to another because I'm a foreigner and I need a foreigner ticket and no one ever knows where to go to get one, if they have any left. I can't deal with that.

I decide I'll need a place to stay tonight. There's no way I'll stay at the fat silhouette's place, even though he's got my money. I can't imagine the Aafreen will have any beds, but I give it a go.

Yes, beds they have. One person? Passport? Oh - you booked a room last night. What happened? We were waiting for you.

Yes, friends, Kolkata. Just when you think you are done, there is always another story.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2019 at 1:49pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print