Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Euthanasia and the death penalty (Read 5425 times)
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Euthanasia and the death penalty
Reply #30 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 12:32pm

PZ547 wrote on Mar 15th, 2019 at 11:31am:
So who needs a death penalty in Australia when the sentencing is so lenient -- when the sentence of 'life' means eight or less years -- when you can murder your own or someone else's child or parent and plead mitigating circumstances such as 'I wuz on drugs yer honner and I had a mental health crisis' to receive sympathy from the judge and the slight inconvenience of a year or two in prison and motel-style comfort?

Didnt we just go through this in another thread? In some states the life penalty means exactly that - life thanks to the "truth in sentencing" thing. Its a recent thing though so maybe you didnt know about it.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 8:17pm

You can count on the British to protect their Criminals here  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 11:41am

Cast your mind back to March 2016 and you may remember a co-ordinated set of suicide bombings in Brussels: two at the airport, one at a metro station. The three Isis-inspired terrorists managed to kill 32 people that day. But you may, understandably enough, have forgotten about it. The attacks came after the even larger ones in Paris, and people didn’t really have much to say about them.
The victims that morning included members of a school party heading to Rome. Unlike many of her classmates, Shanti De Corte was not among them. Miraculously, she didn’t sustain any physical injuries. But the 17-year-old was standing just a few metres from one of the suicide bombers at the airport and was severely traumatised by what she saw.

As it happens, in a couple of weeks a cell of nine defendants will be going on trial for their role in the attacks. The trial was delayed because of a controversy over the conditions in which they were due to appear: in individual closed glass cubicles. This seems to have been deemed inhumane by the Belgian authorities.

Whether being isolated in a self-enclosed glass cubicle is inhumane or not is the sort of row that Belgian justice – like our own – excels at. Assuming at least some of the cell are found guilty, in due course there will doubtless be further rows about the conditions in which the prisoners are kept. One person who will not contribute to that discussion is Shanti De Corte.

This month the news was announced by her family and friends that on 7 May De Corte was euthanised on the authority of the Belgian state. A month earlier a panel of doctors and psychiatrists had judged that the PTSD and depression from which she suffered were incurable. She had requested euthanasia and they granted her request. So they killed her, or at least agreed to let her be put to death by lethal drugging in the decent and painless manner that the state allows. According to the official who oversaw the case, De Corte ‘was in such a state of mental suffering that her request was logically accepted’.
She was 23.

So six years on, the Belgian state will officially notch up the number of victims of the 2016 Brussels attacks to 33 people. Yet although De Corte was certainly a victim of the jihadis, it was Belgium that killed her. And there is something deeply strange, almost dystopian, in this.

After all, if the cell of nine people are convicted when they go on trial next month, what is the worst that any of them will suffer? A number of years in a Belgian jail, obviously. The worst offenders may find themselves there for life, joining the other Muslims who make up less than 10 per cent of the country’s population but around 30 per cent of its prison inmates.

But it would be impossible, of course, for Belgium to put any of the perpetrators to death. Belgian law, indeed European law, forbids any such thing. In certain states in the US the death penalty exists – also by lethal drugging – but this is scorned by most Europeans, for we are beyond such barbarism. Executing a criminal would be illegal under the European Convention, the European Court of Justice and a whole slew of related laws and protocols. That’s because in the 21st century, Europe is so sophisticated that it is unacceptable to execute criminals. Executing their victims, by contrast, is not just acceptable but ‘logical’.
Douglas Murray

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 9:30am

Annah Faulkner was not dying. She wasn’t even ill. But the award-winning novelist was sad, grieving the loss of a husband she adored while trying to present a brave face to friends and family.

And so, by March this year, seven months after her husband Alec died at their Sunshine Coast home, she concluded: “My life is over, and for me that’s perfectly OK.’’  Where some might have sought professional help or support from friends, Faulkner instead found comfort and advice at the Tasmanian chapter of Philip Nitschke’s assisted suicide group Exit International. Here, she found new “vibrant, funny” friends who, she said, understood her and did not judge. “If not for my friends at Exit International I would be unspeakably lonely,’’ she said.  From that early contact with Exit, in December, she appeared set on a course, pretending she was okay to friends and family while meticulously planning her suicide and regularly chatting with Exit’s Tasmanian co-ordinator Kay Scurr, a recently retired nurse and counsellor who made no effort to alter her course.

In early March, with a photograph of Alec and her childhood doll Roberta by her side in her Launceston apartment, she sent a final email to Scurr. She was ending her life. Scurr’s job was not to intervene but to notify police who duly attended the scene, seized Faulkner’s computers and phone and interviewed Scurr (it is believed her death is before the Tasmanian coroner).
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/suicide-what-becomes-of-the-broken-heart...

Her open letter

https://www.exitinternational.net/acclaimed-writer-annah-faulkner-leaves-literar...

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2022 at 9:36am by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #34 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 10:14am

Quote:
Euthanasia and the death penalty

Yes anyone guilty of committing Euthanasia should be put to death ?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #35 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 10:23am

Frank wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 8:51pm:
Manent exposes the growing toleration of the liberal state for taking the lives of the sick and the infirm. Treating death as an extrinsic accident leads some to claim, paradoxically, that they can make authoritative judgments on the “subjective state” of a sick or infirm person. The old and always authoritative verity—“thou shall not kill”—is thrown to the wind by the same people who treat the death penalty as an abomination. Modern liberty, in its most extreme theoretical articulations and applications, has replaced liberty under law with a one-sided preoccupation with death as the summum malum. Innocents at the same time get put to death in the name of curbing human suffering or respecting unlimited individual autonomy. In either case, respect for the moral law is lost. Manent is not the first thinker to show that modern man has an unbalanced approach to death. But more than any other writer I know, he shows that the inability to place death in a truly human context is linked to the modern repudiation of conscience and natural law.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/recovering-moral-contents-life-16079.html

Quote:
thrown to the wind by the same people who treat the death penalty as an abomination

The main problem with the death penalty is the number if innocent people it kills. I have basically the same issue with Euthanasia.

I am not morally opposed to either but I do not trust the implementation of either.

Just as we know that at least 20% of executions are of innocent people there is the scope for the option of Euthanasia to be made by someone else.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 10:35am

Manent exposes the growing toleration of the liberal state for taking the lives of the sick and the infirm. Treating death as an extrinsic accident leads some to claim, paradoxically, that they can make authoritative judgments on the “subjective state” of a sick or infirm person. The old and always authoritative verity—“thou shall not kill”—is thrown to the wind by the same people who treat the death penalty as an abomination. Modern liberty, in its most extreme theoretical articulations and applications, has replaced liberty under law with a one-sided preoccupation with death as the summum malum. Innocents at the same time get put to death in the name of curbing human suffering or respecting unlimited individual autonomy. In either case, respect for the moral law is lost. Manent is not the first thinker to show that modern man has an unbalanced approach to death. But more than any other writer I know, he shows that the inability to place death in a truly human context is linked to the modern repudiation of conscience and natural law.

Capital punishment isn't voluntary.

Voluntary euthanasia is.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #37 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 1:00pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 5th, 2022 at 10:35am:

Capital punishment isn't voluntary.

Voluntary euthanasia is.

Roll Eyes

Quote:
Voluntary euthanasia is

In theory definitely in practice maybe / maybe not. Depends who gets to volunteer for who.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print