Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Billy Connolly (Read 3217 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Billy Connolly
Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:48pm

[urlhttps://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/billy-connolly-admits-life-is-slipping-away-in-new-tv-interview/news-story/0c9a8e411c963d9e6797b1b4770f1f68][/url]

Billy Connolly has revealed that his life is “slipping away” and he may have already filmed his last major TV appearance.

The Scottish comedian will appear in the second part of his BBC documentary series Made In Scotland on UK television this Friday and reflects that he is now “near the end” of his life, The Sun reports.

The funnyman, 76, was dealt a devastating blow when he was diagnosed with both prostate cancer and Parkinson’s on the same day in 2013.

In the documentary, he says: “I have got Parkinson’s and I am at the wrong end of the telescope of life. I am at the point where the yesteryears mean more than the yesterdays.

“Because it is back there in my childhood and youth when I go to all those things that made me that live keenest in my memory now.”

Later in the documentary, filmed last year, he says: “My life, it’s slipping away and I can feel it and I should. I’m 75, I’m near the end. I’m a damn sight nearer the end than I am the beginning. But it doesn’t frighten me, it’s an adventure and it is quite interesting to see myself slipping away.”

He continues: “As bits slip off and leave me, talents leave and attributes leave. I don’t have the balance I used to have, I don’t have the energy I used to have. I can’t hear the way I used to hear, I can’t see as good as I used to.

“I can’t remember the way I used to remember. And they all came one at a time and they just slipped away, thank you.

“It is like somebody is in charge of you and they are saying, ‘Right, I added all these bits when you were a youth, now it is time to subtract.’

“I can’t work my left hand on the banjo. It is as if I am being prepared for something. Some other adventure, which is over the hill. I have got all this stuff to lose first and then I will be the shadowy side of the hill, doing the next episode in the spirit world.”

Billy says he has “cut back” on all his work since his Parkinson’s got worse and is shown asking for filming to be stopped as he is overwhelmed with pain.

Later he is shown sitting on a rock talking to camera when he begins shaking uncontrollably.

“The Parkinson’s is strange because it is not going to go away. All my life I have got sick and I have got the flu and pneumonia various things and they all went away. This isn’t going anywhere. It is going to get worse.

It takes a certain calm to deal with, and I sometimes don’t have it. I sometimes get angry with it, but that doesn’t last long, I just collapse in laughter.

“The good things are there, the love we have for people is still there, and with a bit of luck the love they have for you is still there.

“And I am very lucky in as much as I made a bit of a mark and you think, ‘Well I must have done something right.’ And that keeps you company when you are older, is the fact that when you were creative, you created well, it accompanies you, it is a great companion.

“You can volunteer to take life seriously but it is gonna get you, they are going to win over you, it is harsh, but you can either break down and complain about how miserable your life is or have a go at it and survive. I think that is the basis of it all.”

But trying to remain positive, he adds: “There is still time to go yet, there are still places to go, new friends to make, maybe new songs to write and sing and jokes to tell.”

a brave man  best wishes Billy...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Billy Connolly
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:53pm

Indeed...Connolly is the first to have the problem.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:12pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:53pm:

Being a deadshit as usual eh Aussie!!  Roll Eyes

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:17pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:12pm:

Really?  My Mother died of it.  I saw no song and dance here about it.....or of the many more zillions who also died of it.

This groupie virtue signalling pisses me off large, and I will always call it for what it is.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:32pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:17pm:

Really?  My Mother died of it.  I saw no song and dance here about it.....or of the many more zillions who also died of it.

This groupie virtue signalling pisses me off large, and I will always call it for what it is.

Just taking a punt here, but as lovely as I'm sure your mum was, I reckon Billy Connolly is just a tad more interesting.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:32pm

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:47pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:32pm:

Just taking a punt here, but as lovely as I'm sure your mum was, I reckon Billy Connolly is just a tad more interesting.

So?  Why the sob sister act for Connolly?  Why is there even a story about it.....other than that the prick was paid to tell the story?  This celebrity garbage has to be seen for what it is.  Gargabe and just schmedia driven column filling trivia to attract readers...and we all oblige.  I don't.  Go die in peace Billy.....I don't need to hear about it before you fall off the perch.  Is money short, Billy....the Aussie Missus not pulling her weight?

Not quite the same with the latest crap about some singer Olivia....but that too gets close to the Aussie 'far cough' schmedia rubbish.

I'll hand to the Forum Member who can name the latest Member of the HoR who fell off his perch yesterday a brown paper bag of Uncanny's boiled lollies.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 8:18pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:32pm:

some mothers do have em....

whinge whine bitch day in day out.....someone put him out of his misery..... all he wants to do is talk about himself  its pathetic!

poor petal poor me... Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 8:30pm

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 10:00pm

Oh, dear... hang in there, Billy ... still the best.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 7:42am

Yeah ditto that

there was no suggestion about him being the first or last with Parkinsons or prostate cancer.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 7:44am

Don't be an arse ... you have the potential to be better than that.

Your mother wasn't Billy Connolly. Wink

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 8:09am

Gnads wrote on Jan 4th, 2019 at 7:44am:

Don't be an arse ... you have the potential to be better than that.

Your mother wasn't Billy Connolly. Wink

There is a remarkably high probability that you are correct.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 8:10am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 10:00pm:
Oh, dear... hang in there, Billy ... still the best.

X2 he is amazing

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 8:27am

Billy Connolly had given laughter joy and happiness to millions of people.  Aussie's mum gave us a child pinner.

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print