Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Entering a state of nirvana (Read 5840 times)
fezz

Where's my red hat?

Re: Entering a state of nirvana
Reply #30 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 12:44pm

Perhaps nirvana can be explained as meaningfulness. When one finds true meaning in one's life, it could be said the individual has reached nirvana.
Upon reaching one's true meaning, it's not something that has to be actively sought to be achieved, therefore nirvana has been reached in this living life.

Or to take a Toaist bent, Small Cycle Heavenly Breathing is a life long practice in Qi Qong, for the one and only time Large Cycle Heavenly Breathing is completed, becoming one with the universe ... reaching the state of nirvana ... becoming immortal.

To de-activate the mind is to activate the mind so my old Tai Chi Master (RIP) once discussed with me.

I would rather be poor and produce nothing than be an arsehole and conquer the world

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:29pm

Yes - but all Asian mysticism, religion, etc (which is a hand-me-down 'copy' of Middle-Eastern Religions)
is based upon the
'return to NORMALITY'.

It doesn't start from the normal and get better,
its a 'return' to normality, from something far less.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #32 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:41pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:29pm:

Yes - but all Asian mysticism, religion, etc (which is a hand-me-down 'copy' of Middle-Eastern Religions)
is based upon the
'return to NORMALITY'.

JaSin,

The content of your posts consistently fail the Turing Test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

fezz

Where's my red hat?

Reply #33 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 4:07pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:29pm:
is based upon the
'return to NORMALITY'.

If talking Normality re: the Taoist version ... nirvana is a return to the state of chaos, the reassignment of the individual molecule, at one with the universe ... there is no illusion in the normality of that.

Hindus on the other hand for example, reincarnation is a long and arduous journey to reach nirvana, as many as 3 million or so goes on the merry go round of life for nirvana to be obtained. So yes, their version is as you describe.

I would rather be poor and produce nothing than be an arsehole and conquer the world

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 7:41pm

Chaos is just the flip side of Order.
Both can be Good & Bad... Pure & Evil.

Western society from an 'Ordered' Political structure (USA) consider Chaos as an Evil or negative aspect.
But when you have the Chaos of Australian Politics... Grin

Anyway. All Asian Religions are much like the Mohommedism 'Monotheism' of the Middle-East: They 'Rise' back to the Garden (Normality).
Judaism Monotheism of the Middle-East is based on the 'Fall' from the Garden (Normality). Maybe 'Africa' is where the 'equivalent' is? Maybe you have to go to Africa to see and experience where 'Religion' has Fallen from the World of Men?  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #35 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 10:07pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:33am:
Amadd wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 8:24am:
issuevoter wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:23pm:
Amadd wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 9:51pm:
issuevoter wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 6:34am:
Amadd wrote on Jan 4th, 2019 at 10:23pm:
Quote:
"Nirvana is controlled by capitalism." I have studied these matters extensively, and never came across that claim.

Grin Then it seems that you are thinking in a different context, because money can't buy nirvana. It couldn't even buy Kurt Cobain.

Here is what you said:

"It's not religion, it's not philosophy, it's not spiritual, ..it's controlled by capitalism to not allow us there."

What "context" are you putting capitalism and nirvana in?

Quite simply that in a capitalist world, contentment is not very high on the agenda. In fact, contentment is pretty bloody low on the agenda. Capitalism needs drive, greed, ego, never settling, always chasing the Jones', etc. Contentment is the natural enemy of capitalism.

You might say that contentment is not nirvana, however, I would consider nirvana to be an extreme level of contentment.

I would think most people would call the above, "convoluted opinion." I thought you were going to come up with some recognisable way that Capitalism controls Nirvana. What you seem to mean is that Capitalism is a distraction. But that's not control.
I don't believe Capitalism, as such, has ever had any relation to Nirvana.

Personally, I'm struggling to understand how you cannot see the juxtaposition between contentment and capitalism and the manifest control that capitalism has over our right to nirvana.

I may be wrong, but it looks like you made a claim about Capitalism that was emotional and not thought through logically, and are now looking for ways make the claim appear reasonable. This juxtaposition and our right to Nirvana are not in your original claim. How does capitalism control Nirvana? Surely, you have a straight answer?

I don't care much for trying to interpret other people's vagueness. I should add that human contentment of lack thereof, was with us a long time before Capitalism was developed.

Then how 'bout you just don't bother trying to interpret mate. You obviously ain't up to the challenge.  Grin

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #36 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:42am

Amadd wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 10:07pm:
Quote:
"Nirvana is controlled by capitalism." I have studied these matters extensively, and never came across that claim.

Grin Then it seems that you are thinking in a different context, because money can't buy nirvana. It couldn't even buy Kurt Cobain.

Here is what you said:

"It's not religion, it's not philosophy, it's not spiritual, ..it's controlled by capitalism to not allow us there."

Quite simply that in a capitalist world, contentment is not very high on the agenda. In fact, contentment is pretty bloody low on the agenda. Capitalism needs drive, greed, ego, never settling, always chasing the Jones', etc. Contentment is the natural enemy of capitalism.

You might say that contentment is not nirvana, however, I would consider nirvana to be an extreme level of contentment.

I would think most people would call the above, "convoluted opinion." I thought you were going to come up with some recognisable way that Capitalism controls Nirvana. What you seem to mean is that Capitalism is a distraction. But that's not control.

Personally, I'm struggling to understand how you cannot see the juxtaposition between contentment and capitalism and the manifest control that capitalism has over our right to nirvana.

I may be wrong, but it looks like you made a claim about Capitalism that was emotional and not thought through logically, and are now looking for ways make the claim appear reasonable. This juxtaposition and our right to Nirvana are not in your original claim. How does capitalism control Nirvana? Surely, you have a straight answer?

I don't care much for trying to interpret other people's vagueness. I should add that human contentment of lack thereof, was with us a long time before Capitalism was developed.

Then how 'bout you just don't bother trying to interpret mate. You obviously ain't up to the challenge.  Grin

And so in your selfless pursuit of enlightenment you choose to belittle a person with a reasonable question.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #37 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 9:41am

issuevoter wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:42am:
Amadd wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 10:07pm:
Quote:

Here is what you said:

And so in your selfless pursuit of enlightenment you choose to belittle a person with a reasonable question.

Oh well, if you feel belittled by that, then I can only suggest a couple of panadol washed down with a cup of cement.

Q: How does capitalism control nirvana?

A: By putting people under unnatural pressure to make money, keep up with the Joneses, conform to politically correct rot, chase a certain body image, labeling fast food as healthy, not allowing the time for relaxing or meditative pursuits, trapping people into lifelong debt for not only themselves, but their children also, etc etc..

Time constraints make it difficult to go through a point by point synopsis, let alone a point by point discussion, but I'll try to outline a few calming pursuits that I think fall victim to capitalism.

Religion (there still seems to be time for Islam), painting, pottery, sculpture, fishing, picnics, meditation, yoga, camping, music, etc.

These things are all still available, but let's face it, you need to be doing something that can turn a buck.

Gas bill, water bill, electric bill, council rates, car insurance, house insurance, life insurance, wage protection insurance, school fees, grocery, home phone, mobile phone, internet, car registration, medical costs, house maintenance, car maintenance, car loan repayments, post 20 month interest free household item payments, Umm...Are there any more? OMG, my head is spinning.

Oh, how about mortgage repayments?  The bastards have trapped so many people into
these massive loans and now their house value is worth less than the initial loan, not even taking into account purchasing fees. They'll never pay it, but maybe, just maybe, their children might.

Our national debt rating actually concerns us and our projected earning capacity.

Add to that stagnant wage growth, and in so many industries a severe drop in real wages because of under the table deals to shaft the worker's conditions, this has become a treadmill that many will never escape.

We need to satisfy the man, we need to satisfy the shareholders and our debt rating. No time for pursuits of contentment, we need to work harder and longer for less.

Capitalism doesn't allow for pursuits of nirvana IMO.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #38 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:27pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 7:41pm:
Chaos is just the flip side of Order.
Both can be Good & Bad... Pure & Evil.

Western society from an 'Ordered' Political structure (USA) consider Chaos as an Evil or negative aspect.
But when you have the Chaos of Australian Politics... Grin

Anyway. All Asian Religions are much like the Mohommedism 'Monotheism' of the Middle-East: They 'Rise' back to the Garden (Normality).
Judaism Monotheism of the Middle-East is based on the 'Fall' from the Garden (Normality). Maybe 'Africa' is where the 'equivalent' is? Maybe you have to go to Africa to see and experience where 'Religion' has Fallen from the World of Men?  Wink

You could say that the difference between Africa and Asia that has been influenced by Religion of the Middle-East is that Asia 'copied' in 'ordered' fashion. Africa is the Chaos of uncontrolled discipline.

You see - it is Asia that are the Dreamers and Africans are the Dream.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #39 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:37am

Amadd = Oh well, if you feel belittled by that, then I can only suggest a couple of panadol washed down with a cup of cement.

Most people will read your above statement, as  patronising and condescending.

Any discussion of nirvana is going to be subjective due to its cerebral nature. With the Buddhist in the video, the attempt at objectivity falls short of the verifiable, but he seems sincere. In your case, you have painted yourself into a corner by using ridicule. We have to ask, why you want to do that? A bigger question is whether your ego will allow you to drop that posture.

The unnatural pressures you mention, are not placed on people by Capitalism, they are self-imposed. (A basic tenet of  Buddhism, at the very least.) Greed, envy, and lack of self-esteem were all part of the human condition before the development of our current financial system. The removal of Capitalism would not change human nature.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #40 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:41pm

You're not short of issues Issue

Capitalism pressures are 100 fold+ compared to the days of trading tea and spices.

Quote:
Most people will read your above statement, as  patronising and condescending.

Some might even find it humorous   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2019 at 9:27pm by Amadd »  

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #41 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 4:48am

Advertising is yet another method of capitalism control where people are made to believe that they must buy certain products in order to be content.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2019 at 3:31pm by Amadd »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print