Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Entering a state of nirvana (Read 5834 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Entering a state of nirvana
Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 5:43pm

Here's an interesting monologue on Nirvana from, I assume, a Buddhist. He says Nirvana is the removal of wrong perceptions. That does not require or create an altered state. Its reality, and if so, it is not a struggle. How much of what you perceive is not reality? Take your shoe off and kick a boulder.

However, he goes into the idea that we do not die. This is not something he can prove, anymore than a Christian can prove the existence of their afterlife. When living people make these claims, they are indulging in wishful thinking. Our Buddhist talks about a cloud still existing after it has turned to rain. Very poetic, but our sense of identity is not physical, and a cloud is. There is no plausible reason why individual identity can be endless.

Such beliefs and rituals are the reason I don't credit these guys. And another thing: Buddhists praying? What the Hell is that all about? Don't get me started on the Cadbury's chocolate offerings in front of the Buddha statue. (if you have ever visited a Gompa.)

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:25pm

Buddhism in its 'social sense' was designed to help people conquer the 'endless cycle' of Addictions. It was Buddha's awakening out of his little 'bubble' Palace, going out into the world and seeing it for what it is - thousands of people suffering that inspired his goal for transcendence from such suffering. The irony of his 'state of being' was him being nothing more than a 'bum under a tree' with nothing in the world - but to be 'at peace' with it.

Like 'every' Religion though - it gets glossed over, fluffed up, exaggerated and made bigger than it really is for 'commercial' reasons, etc.

Walk out of your house. Leave everything you know, love and have behind. Just sit in the bush, by a road less travelled and see if you can be 'content' with it? That's the state of Nirvana that Buddha aim to push across. To all the people who 'suffered' because they did not have the plush 'Palace' where he originally came from.

These days though - Spirituality seems to be something always out of reach of 'everyone's' daily life of living.

I like the movie Gladiator - where Maximus's 'Heaven' (Elysium) was just being on the farm with his wife and son... because all else in his life that was current, felt like Hell.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:43pm

This life, is a struggle and a pain, for every one of us.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1517615488/120#120

Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Deliberate contemplation,         is a path that can take us [take at least our consciousness] 'away' from the 'everything' in this world, which constantly assaults us, in our waking state.

Or, we can immerse ourselves, in those things which this world seeks to present to our consciousness.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 2:45am

Christianity was an act of stealing religion from Judaism and Mohommedism was created to get it back to the Middle-East (from Europe).

You quote from a 'lie'.

...give the Ring back Frodo  Wink

The Jew known as Sauron is looking for it.
As is the Moslem known as Gollum.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #19 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 3:42am

Yadda wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:26am:

Amadd,

I apologise to you, for my part in how this thread,
'Entering a state of nirvana',
was sidetracked into another argument, focusing instead upon ISLAM and the followers of ISLAM.

issue expressed it well enough.....

Quote:

The subject of Islam should not have been raised here, but once it appeared, I was not about to let it go by.

No worries about that, it's all good discussion.

It's not religion, it's not philosophy, it's not spiritual, ..it's controlled by capitalism to not allow us there.

Anybody can enter a state of nirvana. Bereft of outside influence, I think it's quite natural and very easy. "Bereft" not being a sad word in this instance  Grin

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #20 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 7:31am

Amadd wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 3:42am:
Yadda wrote on Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:26am:

Amadd,

I apologise to you, for my part in how this thread,
'Entering a state of nirvana',
was sidetracked into another argument, focusing instead upon ISLAM and the followers of ISLAM.

issue expressed it well enough.....

Quote:

The subject of Islam should not have been raised here, but once it appeared, I was not about to let it go by.

No worries about that, it's all good discussion.

It's not religion, it's not philosophy, it's not spiritual, ..it's controlled by capitalism to not allow us there.

Anybody can enter a state of nirvana. Bereft of outside influence, I think it's quite natural and very easy. "Bereft" not being a sad word in this instance  Grin

"Nirvana is controlled by capitalism." I have studied these matters extensively, and never came across that claim.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 10:23pm

Quote:
"Nirvana is controlled by capitalism." I have studied these matters extensively, and never came across that claim.

Grin Then it seems that you are thinking in a different context, because money can't buy nirvana. It couldn't even buy Kurt Cobain.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 11:33pm

And the Media can't buy Donald Trump.
He is in a constant state of Nirvana.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 6:34am

Amadd wrote on Jan 4th, 2019 at 10:23pm:
Quote:

Grin Then it seems that you are thinking in a different context, because money can't buy nirvana. It couldn't even buy Kurt Cobain.

Here is what you said:

"It's not religion, it's not philosophy, it's not spiritual, ..it's controlled by capitalism to not allow us there."

What "context" are you putting capitalism and nirvana in?

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:38am

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #25 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 9:51pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 6:34am:
Quote:

Here is what you said:

"It's not religion, it's not philosophy, it's not spiritual, ..it's controlled by capitalism to not allow us there."

Quite simply that in a capitalist world, contentment is not very high on the agenda. In fact, contentment is pretty bloody low on the agenda. Capitalism needs drive, greed, ego, never settling, always chasing the Jones', etc. Contentment is the natural enemy of capitalism.

You might say that contentment is not nirvana, however, I would consider nirvana to be an extreme level of contentment.

P.S. Love the comic strip Nemo  Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2019 at 9:56pm by Amadd »  

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #26 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:23pm

Amadd wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 9:51pm:
Quote:

Here is what you said:

Quite simply that in a capitalist world, contentment is not very high on the agenda. In fact, contentment is pretty bloody low on the agenda. Capitalism needs drive, greed, ego, never settling, always chasing the Jones', etc. Contentment is the natural enemy of capitalism.

You might say that contentment is not nirvana, however, I would consider nirvana to be an extreme level of contentment.

I would think most people would call the above, "convoluted opinion." I thought you were going to come up with some recognisable way that Capitalism controls Nirvana. What you seem to mean is that Capitalism is a distraction. But that's not control.
I don't believe Capitalism, as such, has ever had any relation to Nirvana.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 8:24am

issuevoter wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:23pm:
Quote:

Here is what you said:

I would think most people would call the above, "convoluted opinion." I thought you were going to come up with some recognisable way that Capitalism controls Nirvana. What you seem to mean is that Capitalism is a distraction. But that's not control.

Personally, I'm struggling to understand how you cannot see the juxtaposition between contentment and capitalism and the manifest control that capitalism has over our right to nirvana.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 11:33am

Amadd wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 8:24am:
issuevoter wrote on Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:23pm:
Quote:

Here is what you said:

Personally, I'm struggling to understand how you cannot see the juxtaposition between contentment and capitalism and the manifest control that capitalism has over our right to nirvana.

I may be wrong, but it looks like you made a claim about Capitalism that was emotional and not thought through logically, and are now looking for ways make the claim appear reasonable. This juxtaposition and our right to Nirvana are not in your original claim. How does capitalism control Nirvana? Surely, you have a straight answer?

I don't care much for trying to interpret other people's vagueness. I should add that human contentment of lack thereof, was with us a long time before Capitalism was developed.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 12:27pm

Fantastic business opportunity ... What if say: Nevada - changed its name to Nirvana ... imagine the tourist boom!  Wink

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print