Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Entering a state of nirvana (Read 5842 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Entering a state of nirvana
Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:22am

I've put this topic in philosophy rather than spirituality because I don't really think that a concept of spirituality alone will allow. Spiritually will eventuate, but maybe not type that others will embrace.

It has become to me more of a philosophical reasoning rather than spiritual that the body can enter a state of nirvana at the behest of the individual.

Switching off thoughts for a long period is difficult, or it may be far easier than you'd once thought. Maybe religion, self help books, money, drugs, power, etc. seems a pathway, but they all seem to fail.

Let's face it, we all want to experience that nirvana without drugs or any other outside influence.
If you've experienced it, then you want it again and again. It quickly becomes akin to a drug where the lack of wanting has allowed it to eventuate into wanting.

This is the crux of Buddhism, of course. An ancient philosophy that still rings true.

How do you want something without actually wanting?

Maybe I answered my own question. Do I really want this outside influence. or have I something more meaningful to myself without it?
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:48am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Entering a state of nirvana
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:46am

Buddhist Nirvana is attained by isolating oneself away from the stresses and responsibilities of the current world and hiding away in some lofty mountains.
Anyone can attain 'nirvana' - when they don't have to put up with 'everything else'.

Also, I tend to think Spirituality is the most over-used word and is nothing more than how someone expresses themselves through 'FASHION'. Be it workwear on construction, a business powersuit, a feral environmentalist with dreadlocks and crystals, a soldier in green, a football guersey... they are all a 'spiritual' expression of one's self.

Because when someone says they feel 'Spiritual' (like a 'snobbery' over others who aren't) - its hard to see how they manifest this (besides emotional detachment and snobbery), beyond their 'sense of fashion'.

Nirvana is 'normal' - its just sad that billions of people have falling away from 'normality' into something less.

To me, Nirvana via Buddhism - was just the act of 'doing nothing'. Nothing more.

Personally, I would think that Landing on the Moon for the first time or seeing Earth from Space for the first time - has given those people something that any cliche 'spiritual buddhist enlightenment' could ever hope to achieve in such a moment.

There have been numerous MIR and other scans done.
Practicing Buddhist are able to stimulate a gland in the brain that pumps 'happy endorthines' by an extra 17%. In other words - Nirvana is also just a natural 'fix' of chemicals in the brain.
Attaining it is no different that an Adrenaline Junkie attaining his/her fix as well.

So much for 'spiritual'  Wink Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:51am

That's why I placed it in philosophy.

Have you experienced the nirvana of allowing all thoughts to disappear for long periods? It's more than 17%

Commonly known as meditation, this is mostly all Buddhism is really about IMO.

The rush of being, relaxation and complete acceptance is enlightening. You want it again and it carries on for hours. It enhances and provides motivation, interest and to do things like fly to the moon.

I'm not saying that sitting on a hill meditating will solve the problems of the world, because the world has it's own problems.
Not many enlightened ones have bothered to fly to the moon because the moon will come to them, it's just a piece of junk rock..lol. Nothing spiritual about that. We can learn all without ever the competition to go there. We knew it was a junk rock even before going there.

« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2018 at 7:39am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 7:56am

Jasin, you have neve attained nirvana, so you don't know what you're talking about. Quite a simple philosophy there.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 8:38am

Dictionary;
nirvana = = a transcendent state in which there is no suffering or desire, and no sense of self.    a state of perfect happiness.

QUESTION;
Is 'happiness' having/achieving,       everything we desire ?

It seems to be, i would suggest, for many 'new age' secular people, that they believe,
that if they can acquire enough of the correct 'things', they will achieve certain happiness.

1,024px × 1,005px
IMAGE.....

When i say, 'new age' secular people, i mean your typical 'rat race' type of people.

e.g.
Is 'happiness' having as much money as we desire [could want] ?

Having as much sex as we desire ?

Having and owning, the house we desire ?

Having all of the very latest tech devices we desire ?

Having the 'admiration' of all of our social media contacts ?

IMO, hardly.

True happiness, imo, is founded in our gratitude, and our appreciation,
of the truly good things in our life.

And, i would suggest, that if you cannot recognise those many good things, in your life, then you have a form of spiritual 'blindness'.

When we truly feel an inner gratitude and have      a recognition      and a real appreciation for all of the truly good things in our life,
we will experience the feeling ['knowledge'] of 'happiness'.

AKA, contentedness.

Yadda has the knowledge,        that he derives his own happiness [in this life], from his choice [in this life],
to love God,      his God.

I know that my happiness [in this life], is a direct result of choosing to love God.

The 'God' i love, is not an abstract 'concept'.

I seek God,
i find God,
and i choose [have chosen] to love what i have found.

Deuteronomy 4:29
But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
30  When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice;
31  (For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

Psalms 27:8
When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.

Psalms 105:3
Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
4  Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
12  Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
13  And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Genesis 17:1
And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

[Yes, that, is an impossible 'mission',        but....]

'Salvation' and peace, isn't for everyone.

Humility, and meekness, before God,        isn't for everyone.

Many prefer [have chosen] to love the things of this world,       instead.

And they seek     their happiness      in the things of this world.

As is their choice.

Quote:

Day after day alone on the hill,

The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still,

But nobody wants to know him,

They can see that he's just a fool,

Beatles- Fool on the Hill (Beatles greatest hits album 67-70)

Yadda, is.

Smiley

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 11:18am

Amadd wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:22am:
Entering a state of nirvana

My understanding is that this is a kind of "goal" or "perfection" that is never actually attained.
In fact, anyone attained this state would probably be diagnosed with a mental illness.

Yadda wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 8:38am:
Yadda has the knowledge,        that he derives his own happiness [in this life], from his choice [in this life],

I know that my happiness [in this life], is a direct result of choosing to love God.

How do you reconcile this with your apparent hatred of the 1.8 Billion Muslims in the world? Surely this puts you a long way from nirvana.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 12:43pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 11:18am:

How do you reconcile this with       your apparent hatred of the 1.8 Billion Muslims       in the world?

Surely this puts you a long way from nirvana.

Barnacle,

I only hate the bad moslems.

Not the good moslems.

Psalms 11:4
The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD'S throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.
5  The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

Exodus 15:3
The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.
40  For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever.
41  If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.
42  I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.
43  Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people.

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 12:47
Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

What is God's will ?

Acts 10:34
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35  But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Isaiah 1:17
Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

Jeremiah 22:3
Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood....

Jeremiah 9:24
But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 1:03pm

How do you reconcile this with       your apparent hatred of the 1.8 Billion Muslims       in the world?

Barnacle,

....you know,      only the moslems who lie, and cheat, and deceive.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:53pm

Amadd wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 7:56am:
Jasin, you have neve attained nirvana, so you don't know what you're talking about. Quite a simple philosophy there.

Sorry to burst your bubble Amadd. But I spent years up in the Himalayas, in the Monasteries learning about Buddhism, back in the 90's.
It's a worthy thing to learn. But, as an 'Australian' - it had the 'reverse' effect on me.

You see, I attained the DARK SIDE of Buddhism - being a 'down under' Australian. It wasn't about being 'up there' among the high mountains. It was about me being 'down under' the waves of the ocean - down into that deep dark abyss where we (and the world) fears to look, because when you look into the Abyss - the Abyss looks into you.

The rule I learned the most from Buddhism 'up there' - is to be true to myself and they all knew over there, that my path of Buddhism is different to theirs.

You see, 'that gland' in the brain that gives off that 'happy state of
Nirvana
' that many (not all) Buddhists can trigger through Meditation - is just on one side of the brain. I, as they discovered - trigger the other side of the brain, where the 'other' gland is. The one that I call the
'Hadal'
state of mind.

I've been used as a guinea pig in Hyperbaric Chambers (St George Hospital, etc), had heaps of MIR scans, etc. I attain 15% from that gland. But it feels more like 20% when I am deep underwater and I'm not talking about being narked which I can detach from the nitrogen overload in my body to the point, I don't suffer its effects. They conducted a test in the Hyperbaric Chamber (5 Swedish Scientists came to see) - where they pressurised me down to 60m after I had attained my 'state of Hadal'. I had 7 other voluteers inside the chamber with me (random selection of Diver volunteers - unaware of my aspect and the study on me). All 7 volunteers lost the plot and got totally narked. I remained in full clarity and less effected by narcosis. Doing various 'tests' put to me, I remained cognitive by 80%. Senses attached to my brain (and dummy ones on the volunteers) recorded my 'Hadal gland' illuminating to some degree. It is harder to be so, under 'pressure' - but the result is greater.

So Amadd. Would you like to come to the 'Dark Side'?  Huh

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 7:07pm

I cannot agree with any of you, even though you seem to disagree with each other.

Amadd. “If you have experienced it, you want it again and again.” I see no reason to believe that such a fixation is the result of nirvana.

JaSin. Buddhist Nirvana is attained by islolating oneself. I disagree. And the monks who, in protest, were able to burn themselves to death without moving, would disagree also.

Yadda. If you are going to define nirvana with a dictionary, you may as well give up now. As for the scripture quotes, they prove nothing.

Barnacle. Using words like “hatred,” in association with those of us who wish to defend society against a fanatically murderous religion, is not only unreasonable, it is smear tactics. Islam's documented sadism is beneath contempt.

Further all; Show us where the Buddha directed questions to some other than normal state of mind.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 10:08pm

Yadda wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 1:03pm:

EXAMPLE #1,

"ISLAM ES PAZ"

IMAGE.....

EXAMPLE #2,

IMAGE.....

Ali Kadri - Islamic Council of Queensland vice-president,
features in The Mosque Next Door on SBS.

Quote:

"There's no underlying religious text or reasons why [moslems] go out and kill people......"

- Ali Kadri
------- >
https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/we-wont-stop-terrorist-attacks-by-blaming-i...

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

None of your damn business
Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 2:39pm

Yadda wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 1:03pm:

Barnacle,

But according to the doctrines you follow, you must loveth thy neighbour and turneth the other cheek.

Do you hate fellow people of your chosen denomination when they turn out to be liars, cheaters and deceivers?

If so, you would be a sinner. Only God is allowed to hate them.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 8:32am

The subject of Islam should not have been raised here, but once it appeared, I was not about to let it go by. However, it is a distraction from the subject. How about trying to get back on track? Consider the subject: Entering a state of Nirvana.

THe problem is in analysis you get caught up in religion, and religion means "Way of Life." Nirvana comes from the Hindu and Buddhist religions, and like other forms of so-called Enlightenment including Christian "knowledge of God or a trinity," none of it is available. It is esoteric.

Likewise, to believe in levels of perception, you have to take the word of "experts." This denigrates human individuality, but humans are herd animals. And you will notice all of these "religions" use ritual to cloud the issue.

All except for the claim made, in the Zen tradition, of "instant enlightenment."

That might be a subject worth studying, until you discover that the great Zen masters of Japan, wholeheartedly support the invasion of China and direction of Nazi Germany. Read Suzuki. So if you want to trust the opinion of those guys, go ahead, waste your life trying to believe in something that was used to create yet another hierarchy of secret knowledge and experience.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 9:20am

Quote:
True happiness, imo, is founded in our gratitude, and our appreciation,
of the truly good things in our life.

I would appreciate more but the problem is that they're all a bunch of assholes!  Wink Wink : Grin

Quote:
Amadd. “If you have experienced it, you want it again and again.” I see no reason to believe that such a fixation is the result of nirvana.

I agree, but it only comes through lack of desiring it. Which is a bit of a conundrum.

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble Amadd....etc.

That's great JaSin, no sarc involved.

I've done 60+ in the cold dark surgy depths of Victorian waters with hardly any narc. and no panic. I wouldn't bother again at my age because the sub was hardly worth the trip. Maybe to do the Coolidge I would do more deep diving, but nowadays I just like to take some happy snaps.

Whether the nirvana is a natural chemical reaction or not, I don't really care. If it produces a more content me, then that's better for all.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:26am

Amadd,

I apologise to you, for my part in how this thread,
'Entering a state of nirvana',
was sidetracked into another argument, focusing instead upon ISLAM and the followers of ISLAM.

issue expressed it well enough.....

Quote:

The subject of Islam should not have been raised here, but once it appeared, I was not about to let it go by.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print