Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Justice Kavanaugh Sides With Liberal Justices (Read 435 times)
Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Justice Kavanaugh Sides With Liberal Justices
Dec 12th, 2018 at 2:12pm

Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh
Sides With Liberal Justices In Declining To Hear
Planned Parenthood Defunding Case.

Source:    
Washington Examiner
       Quote:
In an early decision involving abortion, newly confirmed Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh sided with liberals in declining to hear a case that could have allowed states to defund Planned Parenthood in state Medicaid programs.

My colleague Kimberly Leonard has more background and details of the cases, but the basic gist is that lower court rulings prevented Louisiana and Kansas from blocking abortion provider Planned Parenthood from participating in Medicaid. The Supreme Court has now decided to pass on the cases.

Only four justices are needed to agree to grant a hearing on any case. So to stop it from reaching the high court, it took Kavanaugh siding with Chief Justice John Roberts and liberal justices.

Three conservative justices — Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Neil Gorsuch — all voted to hear the case.

Supreme Court watchers are hanging on every sign from Kavanaugh and Roberts as to how they may rule on abortion given the new makeup of the bench. While it's difficult to assess what implications this particular decision says about their thinking on the issue, the decision not to hear these cases is at least noteworthy, as it suggests a certain level of caution on taking on contentious cases involving abortion in any way.

In a dissent, Thomas complained that the court wanted to shy away from the case because it involves Planned Parenthood, even though it doesn't have any direct implications on abortion rights.

"So what explains the Court’s refusal to do its job here?" Thomas wrote. "I suspect it has something to do with the fact that some respondents in these cases are named 'Planned Parenthood.' That makes the Court’s decision particularly troubling, as the question presented has nothing to do with abortion. It is true that these particular cases arose after several States alleged that Planned Parenthood affiliates had, among other things, engaged in 'the illegal sale of fetal organs' and 'fraudulent billing practices,' and thus removed Planned Parenthood as a state Medicaid provider ... But these cases are not about abortion rights. They are about private rights of action under the Medicaid Act. Resolving the question presented here would not even affect Planned Parenthood’s ability to challenge the States’ decisions; it concerns only the rights of individual Medicaid patients to bring their own suits."

This certainly does not sound like a majority that is chomping at the bit to overturn Roe v. Wade.

The democ-RATS are starting to find out that when they assume, sometimes it does make an ass out of U & Me......

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Re: Justice Kavanaugh Sides With Liberal Justices
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 8:33am

Just as I predicted.........2 months in & the 'bimbo eruptions' have ceased.......back to under their rocks.....while the Honorable Justice Brett Kavanaugh sits on the SCOTUS, sharing opinions, & not even a peep from the "Never Kavanaugh" crowd........  Roll Eyes

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 9:10pm

Panther wrote on Dec 15th, 2018 at 8:33am:
Just as I predicted.........2 months in & the 'bimbo eruptions' have ceased.......back to under their rocks.....while the Honorable Justice Brett Kavanaugh sits on the SCOTUS, sharing opinions, & not even a peep from the "Never Kavanaugh" crowd........  Roll Eyes

Just a you predicted eh?

Panther wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 1:38pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 11:08am:
Panther wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 10:39am:
[quote author=Aussie link=1538856206/60#60 date=1539043929]Bart takes his seat for the Team photo:

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/10432f94-4902-485a-b32c-032...

http://33sm.net16.net/smileys/laughing024.gif

Very Funny........Gotta love political satire.... http://33sm.net16.net/smileys/good.gif ........When Roe v. Wade is being revisited & decided, ......it's a 4 to 4 tie, when Justice Kavanaugh decisively breaks that tie, then we can all laugh again....  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Well, the most important outcome of him making that vote is that baby murderers won't be able to murder legally anymore.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 3:47pm

Raven wrote on Dec 15th, 2018 at 9:10pm:

Just a you predicted eh?

Yep, just as I predicted.......  Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 9:01am

Panther wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
Raven wrote on Dec 15th, 2018 at 9:10pm:

Just a you predicted eh?

Yep, just as I predicted.......  Wink

So can you explain how not hearing a case about potentially defunding Planned Parenthood, which provides abortions, is going after baby murderers.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print