Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wifi connectivity problem (Read 1111 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
wifi connectivity problem
Dec 9th, 2018 at 2:12pm

I have a frustrating internet connectivity problem. It usually happens when I am streaming netflix over wifi from a D-Link router (DSL-2554N). Other users can still be using the router, including streaming, while this particular laptop loses the internet. The wifi connection always indicates the strongest signal, and it is an all-or-nothing problem. Sometimes the wifi thing on the laptop indicates I am disconnected. Sometimes it still indicates there is a connection.

It is intermittent, which makes it hard to diagnose to begin with, but then on top of that every trick I try works sometimes, but not always. So every time I think I have it figured out it happens again and the old solution doesn't work any more. The following have appeared to work at least once:

* windows network diagnostics
* rebooting the laptop
* rebooting the router
* moving the laptop
* unplugging the power lead to the laptop

Waiting does not seem to fix the problem, so I doubt these are timing flukes. If I switch to another wifi source such as a mobile phone, every time I try to reconnect to the router it is not working.

The router also occasionally cuts out for everyone, and I think that sometimes my attempts to fix my problem causes it to cut out for other people (going by the timing).

I am still not sure whether it is a problem with the laptop or the router, or some kind of interaction between them.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: wifi connectivity problem
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 2:17pm

There was a bloke here who suggested that these problems were easily fixed by simply hitting the keys harder.  Have you tried that?

Oh....hang on........sorry.......oops.......that was you!

Shocked

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 7:36pm

I have no real idea but I hate DLINK modems. You could check that you have the latest modem firmware version and that there are not a lot of people saying that it does not work.

Fairly common for DLINK software to be rubbish, they normally take a long time to admit that there is a problem and much longer to fix problems and mostly only fix it for their most recent products though they are happy enough to break older modems.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 10:37pm

You shouldn't use obsolete hardware and software.

I haven't had such connectivity problems since 2005 when wifi was relatively new and was another card in the desktop computer.

Never had a problem since using laptop computers from 2006, including connections in foreign countries and hotels.

In any case, your ISP can usually send you advice on WiFi setup and tweeks. Otherwise try Google for answers.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 2:30pm

Maybe someone else is freeloading on your WiFi ?

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 2:34pm

juliar wrote on Dec 12th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
Maybe someone else is freeloading on your WiFi ?

FleaDriver hosts multiple teams of Mossad and Hasbara operatives.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 2:57pm

A freeloader is usually a neighbor - not necessarily a Security Threat Operative.

Might ASIO be investigating you ?

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 6:24am

To help your diagnosos, download a program like Emco Ping Monitor Free on the laptop.

Set it up to ping the Router, Google and if you can find an IP of one of Netflix's servers (not their site) that too.

When you get the slowdowns, check the logs to see which, if any of these tests failed or showed dropped packets.  If they all do, it's the wifi, if not, that will help point you in the right direction.

If you can get to the laptop in time when the issues are happening, try going to fast.com and running a speedtest. 

That's Netflix's dedicated speed test to their servers.  If you can, also do a test when there are no problems for a baseline reading.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print