Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
Afghanistan is Collapsing. Get Out: Now! (Read 20179 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Afghanistan is Collapsing. Get Out: Now!
Reply #180 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 9:30pm

Quote:
If they really wanted to kill or capture bin Laden, pretty much yeah. Did you notice how unsuccessful the whole regime change thing was in actually killing or capturing bin Laden?

Bin Laden is dead.

Quote:
Do you reckon the US officials who believe refusing to negotiate with the taliban was a "missed opportunity" in terms of closing down bin Laden - might have been on to something?

Not sure what they might have been on to. Not even you can suggest an agreement that both the Taliban and the US would have agreed to, even if we are willing to overlook how evil the taliban were.

Quote:
We should stop supporting the Saudis because they are committing war crimes in Yemen, as well as financing and supporting actual terrorists.

But we should have supported the Taliban, even though they are far worse?

Quote:
I believe once upon a time you would have agreed with such a notion.

I might still do. It just seems a bit hypocritical against your support for the Taliban.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #181 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 10:04pm

freediver wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 9:30pm:
even though they are far worse?

Big call FD.

Would you like to have a go at backing that claim up?

If I were to take a stab in the dark, I'd say you are becoming a spineless apologist for Saudi Arabia. Is that because that happens to coincide with official US policy?

freediver wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 9:30pm:
I might still do. It just seems a bit hypocritical against your support for the Taliban.

Just think about the reasons why you are now spinelessly apologising for the greatest producer and supporter of Islamist terrorism today - aka Saudi Arabia. I'm sure you have some utilitarian "ends justify the means" rationales in mind. Who knows what they are. Personally I find it pretty perplexing - though I'm sure what eases any cognitive dissonance you might have felt, is feeling secure in the knowledge that the US supports and apologises for Saudi Arabia too. But in my case my position should be a lot easier to fathom - first off I don't "support" the taliban, merely argue against the wisdom of rushing half cocked into destructive regime change. Especially in view of the fact that it clearly thwarted efforts to bring bin Laden to justice, not aided them.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #182 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 11:27pm

FD, do you uphold the use of Saudis in your campaign against the Muselman?

You haven't said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #183 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 7:40am

Quote:
Big call FD.
Would you like to have a go at backing that claim up?

Sure. The Taliban harboured the organisation behind 9/11. The had also placed half the population under effective house arrest. Putting aside the usual Muslim incompetence, I would put them up there with the Nazis.

Quote:
If I were to take a stab in the dark, I'd say you are becoming a spineless apologist for Saudi Arabia. Is that because that happens to coincide with official US policy?

Is this because I offered to agree with you on them?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #184 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 8:32am

freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 7:40am:
Sure. The Taliban harboured the organisation behind 9/11. The had also placed half the population under effective house arrest. Putting aside the usual Muslim incompetence, I would put them up there with the Nazis.

Saudi Arabia produced bin Laden. They also propagate, fund and nurture the violent ideology that sunni Islamist terrorists adhere to.

Also, Saudi Arabia currently do place half the population under effective house arrest. I can't believe you actually tried to paint Saudi Arabia as morally superior in terms of treatment of women!

Please do continue with this bizarre spineless apology for Saudi Arabia - its hilarious.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #185 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 12:34pm

Quote:
Saudi Arabia produced bin Laden. They also propagate, fund and nurture the violent ideology that sunni Islamist terrorists adhere to.

Is this the same argument about saying dangerous things?

Quote:
Also, Saudi Arabia currently do place half the population under effective house arrest. I can't believe you actually tried to paint Saudi Arabia as morally superior in terms of treatment of women!

I invite you to make a comparison Gandalf.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #186 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 1:52pm

I invite you to demonstrate that the way the Saudis treat women today is any better than
how the taliban treated them. On every measure I can think of, they both tick the right boxes.

freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 12:34pm:
Is this the same argument about saying dangerous things?

You can compare it to whatever you like FD. But comparing it to your argument seems as worthwhile as anything - whereas you say the taliban were the greatest terrorist threat the world faced at the time - on account of them harbouring terrorists who carried out terrorism. I'm saying that Saudi Arabia present a greater threat because they harbour terrorists who carry out terrorism as well - but in addition they also breed terrorists, they unleash them in 'go to' terrorist hotspots like Syria to fight their proxy wars, they propagate the terrorist ideology to all corners of the muslim world, as well as promote and fund terrorist spiritual centres around the muslim world.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #187 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 7:36pm

In Saudi Arabia, 60%of adult women have a secondary education. Female literacy is estimated at 91%. 20% of the parliament is made up of women.

The Taliban placed women under virtual house arrest. They did not allow women to be educated past the age of 8, and until then were only allowed to study the quran. Students and teachers faced execution for obtaining or giving a real education. Amnesty International reported that 80% of marriages were forced.

What do you think Gandalf? Why did you want the US to prop up the Taliban?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #188 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 8:21pm

freediver wrote on Jan 17th, 2019 at 7:36pm:
In Saudi Arabia, 60%of adult women have a secondary education. Female literacy is estimated at 91%. 20% of the parliament is made up of women.

The Taliban placed women under virtual house arrest. They did not allow women to be educated past the age of 8, and until then were only allowed to study the quran. Students and teachers faced execution for obtaining or giving a real education. Amnesty International reported that 80% of marriages were forced.

What do you think Gandalf? Why did you want the US to prop up the Taliban?

Oh my, he's actually doing it. FD is literally apologising for the Saudis.

What have you done with him, G? Given him truth serum?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #189 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 8:34am

While your digging up Saudi stats FD, tell us what the female workforce participation rate is.

Quote:
The Taliban placed women under virtual house arrest.

So does Saudi Arabia - but at least they get an education - right?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #190 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 12:31pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 18th, 2019 at 8:34am:
While your digging up Saudi stats FD, tell us what the female workforce participation rate is.

Quote:

Are you also an apologist for Saudi Arabia now Gandalf?

Why were you so keen to gloss over the horrible treatment of women under the Taliban, even when compared to the Saudis? Are they mere collateral damage to you on your way to expanding Islamofascism?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #191 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 12:45pm

freediver wrote on Jan 18th, 2019 at 12:31pm:

Quote:

Why were you so keen to gloss over the horrible treatment of women under the Taliban, even when compared to the Saudis? Are they mere collateral damage to you on your way to expanding Islamofascism?

You'd better come clean, G. Stop pretending to be all neutral on this. You want the Taliban to take over the world so they can expand their Islamofascism. You probably want them to take over Saudi Arabia. You don't care about oil or anything.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #192 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 1:25pm

freediver wrote on Jan 18th, 2019 at 12:31pm:

Quote:

I'm not glossing over anything FD. You're the one glossing over the plight of Saudi women.

I'm also saying that mistreatment of women is not justifiable reason to blunder in for half-cocked regime change that likely creates even worse conditions for women.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #193 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 1:38pm

Now now, G, there's no need to play the feminist high moral ground with FD.

He's here to stand up for the rights of Muslim women everywhere.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #194 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 4:25pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 18th, 2019 at 1:38pm:
Now now, G, there's no need to play the feminist high moral ground with FD.

He's here to stand up for the rights of Muslim women everywhere.

Sure he does... I nearly forgot he advocates rape of women - with cacti

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print