Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Send Topic Print
Afghanistan is Collapsing. Get Out: Now! (Read 20302 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Afghanistan is Collapsing. Get Out: Now!
Reply #165 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:43pm

freediver wrote on Jan 14th, 2019 at 7:35pm:
Can we blame all Muslims for 9/11?

You already do FD, so you don't need my permission.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #166 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 9:38pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:43pm:

Does the fact that 9/11 ideology came from Muhammad lend weight to blaming all Muslims?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #167 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 10:09pm

freediver wrote on Jan 14th, 2019 at 9:38pm:

Does the fact that 9/11 ideology came from Muhammad lend weight to blaming all Muslims?

No. You know what the correct answer is, FD.

Remember, there are no right or wrong answers here.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #168 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 9:16am

Obviously I reject the premise of your question.

The ideology is salafist - which interestingly enough most muslims reject.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #169 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 12:45pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 9:16am:

Obviously I reject the premise of your question.

The ideology is salafist - which interestingly enough most muslims reject.

Do most Salafists support 9/11?

Have you figured out now how the US cooperating with the Taliban to invade and take out Al Quaida (setting aside the implausibility) would be propping up the Taliban?

Are you saying that the Saudis were a bigger threat than the Taliban because of their ideas?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #170 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 2:35pm

freediver wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 12:45pm:
Are you saying that the Saudis were a bigger threat than the Taliban because of their ideas?

No FD, the threat the Saudis pose is specifically in their actions vis breeding, supporting and funding terrorism and the terrorists' extremist ideology.

Did I mention that bin Laden was Saudi, as was his wealth, most of his recruits and his ideology? Did I also mention that all but one or two of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi?

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #171 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 2:43pm

Have you figured out now how the US cooperating with the Taliban to invade and take out Al Quaida (setting aside the implausibility) would be propping up the Taliban?

Not really. Unless said cooperation included actual material support by way of funds or manpower to consolidate or stabilize the authority and control the taliban had over the country. But of course one of the greatest threats to the taliban at the time was the material support the US was providing to the so called Northern Alliance, who were at war with the taliban. You'd probably contend that witholding that support would amount to "propping up" the taliban - but that would be inaccurate. Not actively undermining a regime isn't the same as propping them up - obviously.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #172 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:28pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 2:35pm:

No FD, the threat the Saudis pose is specifically in their actions vis breeding, supporting and funding terrorism and the terrorists' extremist ideology.

Did I mention that bin Laden was Saudi, as was his wealth, most of his recruits and his ideology? Did I also mention that all but one or two of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi?

You cited the fact that salafist ideology originated in Saudi Arabia as evidence that Saudi Arabia was a greater threat than the Taliban.

Are you taking that one back?

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 2:43pm:

Not really. Unless said cooperation included actual material support by way of funds or manpower to consolidate or stabilize the authority and control the taliban had over the country. But of course one of the greatest threats to the taliban at the time was the material support the US was providing to the so called Northern Alliance, who were at war with the taliban. You'd probably contend that witholding that support would amount to "propping up" the taliban - but that would be inaccurate. Not actively undermining a regime isn't the same as propping them up - obviously.

How would the US dismantle Al Quaida for the Taliban without providing that "actual material support"?

Or are you changing your mind again on what the US should have done? Perhaps you have dreamt up an even more absurd fantasy?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #173 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 5:42am

freediver wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:28pm:
You cited the fact that salafist ideology originated in Saudi Arabia as evidence that Saudi Arabia was a greater threat than the Taliban.

Are you taking that one back?

No FD, I cited salafist ideology originating in Saudi Arabia *AND* it being actively proselytized and funded to all corners of the muslim world by the regime - as a greater threat than the taliban.

freediver wrote on Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:28pm:
How would the US dismantle Al Quaida for the Taliban without providing that "actual material support"?

Or are you changing your mind again on what the US should have done? Perhaps you have dreamt up an even more absurd fantasy?

I only ever said it would be the taliban helping the US, not the other way around. The taliban lets them in, gives them whatever logistical support they need, bin Laden is captured or killed, mission accomplished. All done without needing any "propping up" of the taliban. Of course the obvious quid pro quo would be for the US to agree to stop materially supporting the Northern Alliance and anything else they were doing to actively undermine the taliban - but a I said, that in no way is "propping up" the regime.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #174 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 7:43pm

Quote:
No FD, I cited salafist ideology originating in Saudi Arabia *AND* it being actively proselytized and funded to all corners of the muslim world by the regime - as a greater threat than the taliban.

Ah, so Saudi Arabia is a bigger threat than the taliban, not just because an idea originated there, but because they also spread the idea?

Did the idea spread to Afghanistan by any chance?

Isn't Saudi Arabia the original source of Islam? If so, does that mean you blame the Saudis for all Islamic terrorism? Or does Islamic terrorism have nothing to do with Islam?

Quote:
I only ever said it would be the taliban helping the US, not the other way around.

You said cooperate. Are you suggesting a mutually agreeable agreement with the Taliban, in which the Taliban gets egg all over their face for assisting the great Satan to slaughter fellow Muslims, and the Taliban gets no benefit from the arrangement, including somehow not getting any benefit from destroying a political rival?

Does this entire thread fall back on another of your naive fantasies that you cannot link back to the real world in any meaningful way?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #175 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 8:20pm

freediver wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 7:43pm:
Ah, so Saudi Arabia is a bigger threat than the taliban, not just because an idea originated there, but because they also spread the idea?

Did the idea spread to Afghanistan by any chance?

Isn't Saudi Arabia the original source of Islam? If so, does that mean you blame the Saudis for all Islamic terrorism? Or does Islamic terrorism have nothing to do with Islam?

1. Correct - propagating terrorist ideology, funding salafist spiritual centres that pump out terrorists and producing terrorist masterminds like bin Laden himself - is a greater global threat than a tinpot local insurgency who have no interest in global jihad, such as the taliban.

2. Yes it spread to Afghanistan - when bin Laden set up shop there. Obviously.

3. The salafist ideology that rules Saudi Arabia - specifically 'wahabism', is only a couple of hundred years or so old. This forms the ideological foundation of modern sunni terrorism. And its worth noting, the ideology is overwhelmingly rejected by most muslims.

freediver wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 7:43pm:
You said cooperate. Are you suggesting a mutually agreeable agreement with the Taliban, in which the Taliban gets egg all over their face for assisting the great Satan to slaughter fellow Muslims, and the Taliban gets no benefit from the arrangement, including somehow not getting any benefit from destroying a political rival?

FD I very specifically outlined what the quid pro quo would have been. Golly I even used the word "quid pro quo". Like talking to a brick wall.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #176 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 8:48pm

Quote:
FD I very specifically outlined what the quid pro quo would have been. Golly I even used the word "quid pro quo". Like talking to a brick wall.

Would you mind repeating it?

Quote:
1. Correct - propagating terrorist ideology, funding salafist spiritual centres that pump out terrorists and producing terrorist masterminds like bin Laden himself

How do you suggest we combat these dangerous Muslim ideas that are a bigger threat than Afghanistan as a failed state after receiving one of those dangerous ideas?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #177 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 8:53pm

For the benefit of those who refuse to pay attention:

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 5:42am:
Of course the obvious quid pro quo would be for the US to agree to stop materially supporting the Northern Alliance and anything else they were doing to actively undermine the taliban - but a I said, that in no way is "propping up" the regime.

freediver wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 8:48pm:
How do you suggest we combat these dangerous Muslim ideas that are a bigger threat than Afghanistan as a failed state after receiving one of those dangerous ideas?

By not giving material support for their wars or turning a blind eye to their atrocities might be a good start.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #178 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 9:02pm

How was the US materially supporting the Northern Alliance?

Quote:
By not giving material support for their wars or turning a blind eye to their atrocities might be a good start.

How well has this strategy worked in the past?

So basically, we should have stopped supporting the Northern Alliance, because one of the most evil Muslim regimes in modern history (which Gandalf supports for some reason) wants to kill them off so they can take over and impose Islamofascism on more people.

But we should also stop supporting the Saudis, because they are a bigger threat than Afghanistan was, on account of the ideas they were telling other people about?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #179 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 9:20pm

freediver wrote on Jan 16th, 2019 at 9:02pm:
How was the US materially supporting the Northern Alliance?

From my previously cited article:

Quote:
Rejecting the Taliban offers to have bin Laden handed over, the U.S. instead pursued a policy of regime change well prior to the 9/11 attacks. Jane’s Information Group reported in March 2001 that “India is believed to have joined Russia, the USA and Iran in a concerted front against Afghanistan’s Taliban regime”, which included support for Afghanistan’s Northern Alliance, including “information and logistic support” from Washington.[8] Former Pakistani Foreign Secretary Niaz Naik told the BBC that he had been told by senior U.S. officials in July 2001 at a U.N.-sponsored summit in Berlin that military action would be taken against the Taliban by the middle of October. Preparations had already been coordinated with Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Russia. Naik also “said it was doubtful that Washington would drop its plan even if Bin Laden were to be surrendered immediately by the Taleban.”[9]

https://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2010/09/20/newly-disclosed-documents-shed-m...

So basically, we should have stopped supporting the Northern Alliance, because one of the most evil Muslim regimes in modern history (which Gandalf supports for some reason) wants to kill them off so they can take over and impose Islamofascism on more people.

If they really wanted to kill or capture bin Laden, pretty much yeah. Did you notice how unsuccessful the whole regime change thing was in actually killing or capturing bin Laden? Do you reckon the US officials who believe refusing to negotiate with the taliban was a "missed opportunity" in terms of closing down bin Laden - might have been on to something?

But we should also stop supporting the Saudis, because they are a bigger threat than Afghanistan was, on account of the ideas they were telling other people about?

We should stop supporting the Saudis because they are committing war crimes in Yemen, as well as financing and supporting actual terrorists. I believe once upon a time you would have agreed with such a notion.

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Send Topic Print