Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Islam and the Future of Tolerance (Read 4595 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Islam and the Future of Tolerance
Nov 25th, 2018 at 7:53pm

Muslims are lying about Islam. True or false?
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:24am by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Islam and the Future of Tolerance
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:06am

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=183&v=zZNziiPyauU

Muslims are lying about Islam. True or false?

Bwian, karnal, gandalf et al have the hardest job: pretending, year in year out, that Islam is a religion of peace.  Isn't that pretence, year in year out, the only answer they actually have?  Is this pretence the 'modernisation', ALL of the modernisation? Is is it a knowing lie?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 6:28pm

Frank wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:06am:
Bwian, karnal, gandalf et al have the hardest job: pretending, year in year out, that Islam is a religion of peace

actually bwian has consistently rejected the idea, if you bothered to actually listen to him instead of abusing him all the time.

As I recall karnal more or less agrees too.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:05pm

Every time I've seen someone ask Brian a question about Islam, he answers about Christianity.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:28pm

A working link:

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:37pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 6:28pm:
Bwian, karnal, gandalf et al have the hardest job: pretending, year in year out, that Islam is a religion of peace

actually bwian has consistently rejected the idea, if you bothered to actually listen to him instead of abusing him all the time.

I've never claimed IIRC that Islam is a religion of Peace.  No more than I have claimed that Christianity or any other religion is one of "peace".   All religions have violent followers.  The leaders of all religions have made use of that violence to expand their area of influence.  Be it Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.

So, run along, Soren, please, back to your little kiddies' playground.  I hear your friends calling you.   Afterall, you don't read or listen to what I say, so you may as well play with your Islamophobic friends.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:37pm:

I've never claimed IIRC that Islam is a religion of Peace.  No more than I have claimed that Christianity or any other religion is one of "peace".   All religions have violent followers.  The leaders of all religions have made use of that violence to expand their area of influence.  Be it Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.

So, run along, Soren, please, back to your little kiddies' playground.  I hear your friends calling you.   Afterall, you don't read or listen to what I say, so you may as well play with your Islamophobic friends.    Roll Eyes

Your such a fraud, write a list of all the terror attacks actual or planned in Australia in the name of Jesus and a list of all the terror attacks actual or planned on Australia in the name of Allah.

Then fill the list with the names of the dead and injured you immoral apologist for terror.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:00pm

How did Jesus use violence to expand his influence?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:03pm

freediver wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:00pm:

Who said Jesus did, FD?   Christian leaders, such as the Emperor of the Byzantine Empire, the Pope, the kings of the Holy Roman Empire, etc.  all were Christian leaders.  All used violence to expand their religion's area of influence.  Tsk, tsk.  Such a shame history betrays you, hey?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:04pm

Term Dog wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 7:43pm:

Your such a fraud, write a list of all the terror attacks actual or planned in Australia in the name of Jesus and a list of all the terror attacks actual or planned on Australia in the name of Allah.

Then fill the list with the names of the dead and injured you immoral apologist for terror.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Appears I've attracted the attention of the Islamophobic troll.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:14pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:03pm:

Who said Jesus did, FD?   Christian leaders, such as the Emperor of the Byzantine Empire, the Pope, the kings of the Holy Roman Empire, etc.  all were Christian leaders.  All used violence to expand their religion's area of influence.  Tsk, tsk.  Such a shame history betrays you, hey?   Roll Eyes

You left out Hitler Brian.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:21pm

Seriously bwian has to draw examples from the Byzantine and Roman empires, is he faking serious????

News flash nobody gives a flying fak about the Byzantine and Roman empires. We give a fak about crazy terrorist murderers walking around our streets today plotting  evil shixt and doing evil shixt.

Bwian yu are out of touch with reality.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:28pm

freediver wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:14pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:03pm:

You left out Hitler Brian.

Really?  I invoke Godwin's law, FD...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:29pm

Not only is brian incapable of giving a straight answer about Islam, he is unable to say anything true about any other religion. He can do nothing more than very selectively pick examples of what supposed followers of each religion did and insist that is all we are capable of knowing.

Apparently you have to get a doctor of divinity to be able to speak so little truth about religion.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:29pm

Term Dog wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:21pm:
Seriously bwian has to draw examples from the Byzantine and Roman empires, is he faking serious????

News flash nobody gives a flying fak about the Byzantine and Roman empires. We give a fak about crazy terrorist murderers walking around our streets today plotting  evil shixt and doing evil shixt.

Bwian yu are out of touch with reality.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Appears I've attracted the attention of the Islamophobic troll.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:31pm

This is the moral gymnastics you need to be an Islamic apologist - if you want to say something about Christianity, use Hitler or some other dictator as an example, but not Jesus. And never ever let Muhammad tgp be an example of Islam.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 10:38pm

freediver wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:29pm:
Not only is brian incapable of giving a straight answer about Islam, he is unable to say anything true about any other religion. He can do nothing more than very selectively pick examples of what supposed followers of each religion did and insist that is all we are capable of knowing.

Apparently you have to get a doctor of divinity to be able to speak so little truth about religion.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  You were the one to bring Hitler up, not me, FD.  You were the one who suggested that Hitler was an example of how good Christians should behave, not me.

Run along, I think you need to reacquaint yourself with some civilised behaviour.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 10:55pm

It is a mail order doctorate. You know a print-at-home one, $9.99 PLUS POSTAGE.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #18 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 6:50pm

Frank wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 10:55pm:

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Tsk, tsk, someone seems to have left the gate open on the little kiddies' playground again.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:25pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 6:50pm:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Tsk, tsk, someone seems to have left the gate open on the little kiddies' playground again.    Roll Eyes

Show us yer doctorate, aunty!!!  Go on!!!

(you stupid, vain scavenging bin chicken of an old aunt)

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #20 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 9:25pm

Frank wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:25pm:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Can someone come and collect their child?  They're having a bit o' a tanty in Aisle 3.  Please, someone come and collect this child lying on the floor, hitting their fists against the lino?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #21 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 9:36am

Actually Brian has never defended let alone 'aplogised' for the religion itself. He has been remarkably consistent on his views on all religion - that is the actual doctrine and teachings, which is that they are all equally bad. to merely say they are all as bad as each other, I think makes him an apologist in your book, given you clearly have the view that doctrinally, Islam is undeniably worse in terms of intolerance and incitement to violence than pretty much any other religion - certainly christianity.

The main point of difference between you though is that Brian doesn't dwell on any of the doctrines, and focuses instead on actual deeds of its followers. And he very rightly points to the history of violence perpetrated in the name of Christianity, which on balance, undeniably overshadows violence perpetrated in the name of Islam - in terms of sheer scale. He also very rightly points out that the vast majority of muslims are peaceful and tolerant. Whether this is because of or in spite of their religious doctrine is, I surmise, irrelevant to Brian.

What Brian probably needs to address more, and I invite him to do so, includes things like:

- the fact that Christianity's violent record is largely ancient history and has less relevance now compared to Islam's record
- the charge that Jesus was by most accounts a pacifist and preached non-violence, and that this provides a pretty strong argument that this is the accepted template for most christians - contrasted with Muhammad, where violence is not completely rejected
- the more general charge that the current spike in Islamic violence is strongly based in doctrine, and is therefore systemic in the muslim community.

That said, I completely understand why he feels the need to play devil's advocate in the face of the constant barrage of Islamophobia on this board. Not to mention the intense personal abuse he faces - the level of which I don't think I've seen directed at any other member on this entire forum. Its unfortunately you guys are so deeply stuck in your own corners of the ring and so focused on 'beating' each other, rather than actually engaging constructively. And no, I am not blameless either.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2018 at 9:41am by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #22 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:06am

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 9:36am:

Actually Brian has never defended let alone 'aplogised' for the religion itself. He has been remarkably consistent on his views on all religion - that is the actual doctrine and teachings, which is that they are all equally bad. to merely say they are all as bad as each other, I think makes him an apologist in your book, given you clearly have the view that doctrinally, Islam is undeniably worse in terms of intolerance and incitement to violence than pretty much any other religion - certainly christianity.

The main point of difference between you though is that Brian doesn't dwell on any of the doctrines, and focuses instead on actual deeds of its followers. And he very rightly points to the history of violence perpetrated in the name of Christianity, which on balance, undeniably overshadows violence perpetrated in the name of Islam - in terms of sheer scale. He also very rightly points out that the vast majority of muslims are peaceful and tolerant. Whether this is because of or in spite of their religious doctrine is, I surmise, irrelevant to Brian.

What Brian probably needs to address more, and I invite him to do so, includes things like:

- the fact that Christianity's violent record is largely ancient history and has less relevance now compared to Islam's record
- the charge that Jesus was by most accounts a pacifist and preached non-violence, and that this provides a pretty strong argument that this is the accepted template for most christians - contrasted with Muhammad, where violence is not completely rejected
- the more general charge that the current spike in Islamic violence is strongly based in doctrine, and is therefore systemic in the muslim community.

That said, I completely understand why he feels the need to play devil's advocate in the face of the constant barrage of Islamophobia on this board. Not to mention the intense personal abuse he faces - the level of which I don't think I've seen directed at any other member on this entire forum. Its unfortunately you guys are so deeply stuck in your own corners of the ring and so focused on 'beating' each other, rather than actually engaging constructively. And no, I am not blameless either.

Oh, dearie me! You are dead wrong about Dr. Ross, DD. The only thing he is consistent about, is the ridicule of those who voice legitimate concerns about the violence endemic to Islam. Tsk, tsk.

So what is the future of Islam, a kind of moderate, Quaker style religion, or one where you abandon the idea that everyone else is an infidel? Islamic flower children? I doubt. I expect more of what we have seen so far.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:09am

What sound does a jellyfish make?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:11am

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:09am:

What sound does a jellyfish make?

blurp…..blurp…...blurp.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:11am

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 9:25pm:
Frank wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:25pm:

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Can someone come and collect their child?  They're having a bit o' a tanty in Aisle 3.  Please, someone come and collect this child lying on the floor, hitting their fists against the lino?   Roll Eyes

Lol   Grin

Poor little Frankie.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #26 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:39am

issuevoter wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:06am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 9:36am:

Oh, dearie me! You are dead wrong about Dr. Ross, DD. The only thing he is consistent about, is the ridicule of those who voice legitimate concerns about the violence endemic to Islam. Tsk, tsk.

So what is the future of Islam, a kind of moderate, Quaker style religion, or one where you abandon the idea that everyone else is an infidel? Islamic flower children? I doubt. I expect more of what we have seen so far.

actually infidel is an English word issue, which has roots in French and Latin. It is a word that identifies, and by inference demonizes, people by disbelief in religion (in this case christianity) alone. It may surprise you to learn that there is no arabic equivalent in relation to Islam. The popular myth is that the arabic root K-F-R (derives words such as kaffir, kufar, takfir etc) is the arabic equivalent, but this is false. A 'kaffir' is literally one who conceals - and in the Quran refers specifically to those who cheat and lie and generally conceal the truth. It is used in the context of condemning people for hypocricy and lying - not for disbelief per se.

Needless to say I don't buy into the idea that people should be identified and demonized (let alone hurt or killed) for a thought crime. Nor do I accept that Islam promotes such a view.

there is no compulsion in religion - 2:256

The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills - let him believe; and whoever wills - let him disbelieve - 18:29

For you is your religion, and for me is my religion - 109:6

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 12:27pm

Quote:
Actually Brian has never defended let alone 'aplogised' for the religion itself. He has been remarkably consistent on his views on all religion - that is the actual doctrine and teachings, which is that they are all equally bad.

Brian does appear to hold that view, but he refuses to discuss the actual doctrines and teachings. For example, in this thread he has preferred to use the actions of dictators to characterise Christianity. This could be reasonable for Islam, given that Muhammad himself was a dictator, but he refuses to let the words or actions of Muhammad characterise Islam. All he appears to have learnt from his mail order doctor of divinity is a grave fear of actually discussing religion.

BTW, Islam is also an English word. Good to see you getting to the heart of the matter.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #28 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 2:25pm

freediver wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 12:27pm:
Brian does appear to hold that view, but he refuses to discuss the actual doctrines and teachings. For example, in this thread he has preferred to use the actions of dictators to characterise Christianity. This could be reasonable for Islam, given that Muhammad himself was a dictator, but he refuses to let the words or actions of Muhammad characterise Islam. All he appears to have learnt from his mail order doctor of divinity is a grave fear of actually discussing religion.

Because for Brian, doctrine is not what characterises those religions. He thinks religious doctrine is neither here not there because its essentially meaningless and irrelevant to the day to day lives of their adherents. This is because he considers doctrine as obscure, incomprehensible mumbo jumbo that simple adherents couldn't possibly comprehend - even if they could be bothered reading it, which they mostly don't. Thus what characterises religion in Brian's view is the way individual adherents process and rationalise and act out their own beliefs - which for the reasons above, has little bearing on what the actual doctrine says. If nothing else he certainly addresses the rank inconsistency in the standard arguments here that attributes all muslim bad behaviour to bad doctrine, but somehow the jews are immune to their bad doctrine.

As for dictators=christianity but Muhammad doesn't = Islam - I think you have his argument backwards. I believe he's saying that Muhammad's (alleged) behaviour is no more relevant to muslim behaviour today than some representative christian dictator is to christian behaviour. Yes, it is a false equivalence, but only if your starting point is that religious doctrine and tradition (including through the actions of the prophets) is a key determiner for bad religious behaviour today - which is not Brian's.

Quote:

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #29 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 3:47pm

freediver wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 12:27pm:
Quote:
Actually Brian has never defended let alone 'aplogised' for the religion itself. He has been remarkably consistent on his views on all religion - that is the actual doctrine and teachings, which is that they are all equally bad.

BTW, Islam is also an English word. Good to see you getting to the heart of the matter.

Actually, FD, it was YOU, not ME who introduced the idea that a dictator (ie, "Hitler") was a good example of a Christian ruler.   I used examples on the basis of Imperial Rule.  Something completely different.

Now, run along and tell us a few more lies,  Tsk, tsk,   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #30 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:33pm

Quote:
Because for Brian, doctrine is not what characterises those religions. He thinks religious doctrine is neither here not there because its essentially meaningless

What Brian says is meaningless. He discards religion in it's entirety and replaces it with what is at best tangentially related to religion. I suspect his agenda is to tar Christianity with the brush of Islam.

Quote:
Actually, FD, it was YOU, not ME who introduced the idea that a dictator (ie, "Hitler") was a good example of a Christian ruler.

The only examples you gave to characterise Christianity were of dictators - particularly nasty ones.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:34pm

Deleted.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:43pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #32 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:01pm

freediver wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:33pm:
Quote:
Actually, FD, it was YOU, not ME who introduced the idea that a dictator (ie, "Hitler") was a good example of a Christian ruler.

The only examples you gave to characterise Christianity were of dictators - particularly nasty ones.

Really?  Who?  I gave examples of monarchs, FD.  YOU gave the example of a dictator.  Tsk, tsk, perhaps you need to learn the difference?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:07pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:01pm:
Quote:

Really?  Who?  I gave examples of monarchs, FD.  YOU gave the example of a dictator.  Tsk, tsk, perhaps you need to learn the difference?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

What's the difference between a king and a dictator Brian? Or an emperor for that matter, since you threw in one of those as well?

Did you learn to fear actually discussing religion in your doctor of divinity sessions, or were you already too scared?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #34 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 12:16am

freediver wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 10:07pm:
Quote:

What's the difference between a king and a dictator Brian? Or an emperor for that matter, since you threw in one of those as well?

Did you learn to fear actually discussing religion in your doctor of divinity sessions, or were you already too scared?

Oh, I can discuss religion.  What I learnt, FD is that it is better to remain silent rather than remove any doubt that you're a fool.   I am quite willing to discuss Christianity because I know quite a lot about Christianity.   I am not willing to discuss Islam because I am quite willing to admit that I know very little about it.   You, OTOH, appear only too willing to make sure we know you're a fool.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #35 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 7:56am

What Brian says is meaningless. He discards religion in it's entirety and replaces it with what is at best tangentially related to religion. I suspect his agenda is to tar Christianity with the brush of Islam.

You mean other people say meaningful things here?  Grin

Mostly its just shouting each other down with the same tired arguments and seeing who gets bored first.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 1:18pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 12:16am:
Quote:

Oh, I can discuss religion.  What I learnt, FD is that it is better to remain silent rather than remove any doubt that you're a fool.   I am quite willing to discuss Christianity because I know quite a lot about Christianity.   I am not willing to discuss Islam because I am quite willing to admit that I know very little about it.   You, OTOH, appear only too willing to make sure we know you're a fool.    Roll Eyes

Why do you use kings and emperors to reflect Christianity, while being so afraid to use Christian doctrine, or the words and actions of the founder of the religion?

And other than deliberately misrepresenting the religion, how exactly do you discuss it without actually saying anything about it?

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 2:31pm

Lying scum is totally afraid of one unchallengeable truth:

Men who commit atrocities are 100% disobeying the doctrine as espoused by Christ.

muslims who perpetrate human rights atrocities agasinst their fellow man are 100% obedient to the commands of muhammad in the qur'an.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #38 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 4:23pm

freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 1:18pm:
Quote:

One is crowned, the other is not.  One draws his reign from a mandate from heaven, the other from the strength of his followers.

Quote:
Why do you use kings and emperors to reflect Christianity, while being so afraid to use Christian doctrine, or the words and actions of the founder of the religion?

Perhaps because the words and actions of the founder are essentially meaningless compared to the words and actions of his followers.  Afterall, the founder is dead, the followers are alive, now are they not? 

Quote:
And other than deliberately misrepresenting the religion, how exactly do you discuss it without actually saying anything about it?

By discussing what it's followers and believers are doing?   Nah, that'd make it so much harder to claim they are all Terrorists, now wouldn't it, FD?  Tsk, tsk.  Keep trying to justify your attempts to persecute innocent people, FD.  It is amusing watching you twist and turn.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 5:51pm

Oh, I can discuss religion.  What I learnt, FD is that it is better to remain silent rather than remove any doubt that you're a fool. 

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
That is THE one lesson you have never learned, fool!!!!

You have removed all doubt decades ago and you insist, daily, on removing any possible future doubts NOW!!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #40 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 5:55pm

Frank wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 5:51pm:
Oh, I can discuss religion.  What I learnt, FD is that it is better to remain silent rather than remove any doubt that you're a fool. 

That is THE one lesson you have never learned, fool!!!!

You have removed all doubt decades ago and you insist, daily, on removing any possible future doubts NOW!!

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Look, can someone come and collect this small child in Aisle 4?  He is ranting and raving and stamping his feet and screaming.  He is disturbing all the other shoppers.  Can someone please come and collect this child, now?   Don't worry, little Soren, your mummy will be along soon, OK?    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 7:14pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 4:23pm:
Quote:

One is crowned, the other is not.  One draws his reign from a mandate from heaven, the other from the strength of his followers.

Quote:

Perhaps because the words and actions of the founder are essentially meaningless compared to the words and actions of his followers.  Afterall, the founder is dead, the followers are alive, now are they not? 

Quote:

By discussing what it's followers and believers are doing?   Nah, that'd make it so much harder to claim they are all Terrorists, now wouldn't it, FD?  Tsk, tsk.  Keep trying to justify your attempts to persecute innocent people, FD.  It is amusing watching you twist and turn.   Roll Eyes

So the important distinction you are making is whether a ruler wears a crown?

Quote:
By discussing what it's followers and believers are doing?   Nah, that'd make it so much harder to claim they are all Terrorists, now wouldn't it, FD?

If a religious person picks their nose, what does it tall you about their religion?

Are you afraid to talk about Islamic doctrine because it makes Muslims look bad?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #42 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 10:57pm

freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 7:14pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 4:23pm:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So the important distinction you are making is whether a ruler wears a crown?

And usually how they gained that crown, FD.  Hitler attempted to seize control of Germany through a Coup, when that failed he decided to do it via the ballot box.  Most Monarchs inherit their Kingdoms/Empires.

Quote:
Quote:
By discussing what it's followers and believers are doing?   Nah, that'd make it so much harder to claim they are all Terrorists, now wouldn't it, FD?

If a religious person picks their nose, what does it tall you about their religion?

Absolutely nothing.  I have known numerous Christian nose-pickers.  Are all Christians nose-pickers?   That is your level of logic, FD.   Roll Eyes

Quote:
Are you afraid to talk about Islamic doctrine because it makes Muslims look bad?

Nope.  I am afraid to talk about it 'cause it would make me look foolish.  I am quite willing to admit that I do not know as much about Islam as I do Christianity.  I was born and raised a Christian.  I did not encounter a Muslim until I had been in the army for ~4 years (approximately 22 years old).    I have in the intervening ~35 years encountered quite a few more.  I have studied with/worked with other Muslims.   I have discussed superficially their religion with them.   I have only really started studying it in depth since I joined this fora and encountered the level of Islamophobia here.   Islamophobia does not gell with my experience with Muslims.   As I keep saying, I do not doubt there are bad Muslims out there.  I am yet to encounter one.

How old were you before you encountered your first Muslim, FD?   Have you physically encountered one yet?  Yet you believe you are an expert on Islam.   I wonder how much of your expertise comes from Dr. Google?  Mmmm?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 7:43am

Quote:
And usually how they gained that crown, FD.

Can you explain this?

Quote:
Absolutely nothing.  I have known numerous Christian nose-pickers.  Are all Christians nose-pickers?   That is your level of logic, FD.

This is the extent of the logic you use when discussing religion. You do not get any more refined than this.

Quote:
Nope.  I am afraid to talk about it 'cause it would make me look foolish.

You would look far less foolish than if you stuck with your nose picking logic.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #44 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 3:30pm

freediver wrote on Dec 1st, 2018 at 7:43am:
Quote:

Can you explain this?

Quote:
Absolutely nothing.  I have known numerous Christian nose-pickers.  Are all Christians nose-pickers?   That is your level of logic, FD.

This is the extent of the logic you use when discussing religion. You do not get any more refined than this.

Quote:

Run along, FD, run along.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 8:11pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 10:57pm:

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Bwian, you ARE an idiot even when you say nothing. You roll your eyes = idiot. You utter = laughable idiot.  Bwian, you do not realise just what an icon of idiocy you are. You are a legendary fool.

Keep talking so we can keep laughing.  Go on, Bwian, say something!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #46 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 8:18pm

Frank wrote on Dec 1st, 2018 at 8:11pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 30th, 2018 at 10:57pm:

Bwian, you ARE an idiot even when you say nothing. You roll your eyes = idiot. You utter = laughable idiot.  Bwian, you do not realise just what an icon of idiocy you are. You are a legendary fool.

Keep talking so we can keep laughing.  Go on, Bwian, say something!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 8:09am

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 1st, 2018 at 3:30pm:
Quote:

Can you explain this?

Quote:

Quote:

Brian have you ever made a criticism of religion that is more insightful than trying to divine Christian doctrine by observing a Christian picking their nose? Is that what having a doctor of divinity means?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #48 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 1:09pm

freediver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 8:09am:
Quote:

Can you explain this?

Quote:

Quote:

Brian have you ever made a criticism of religion that is more insightful than trying to divine Christian doctrine by observing a Christian picking their nose? Is that what having a doctor of divinity means?

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  FD, again, it was you, not I, who introduced "nose-picking" to the discussion.   You really do need to keep track of what you're saying.  Obviously, you're rather lost.  Run along back to the little kiddies' playground, please.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 2:02pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 1:09pm:
Quote:

Can you explain this?

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  FD, again, it was you, not I, who introduced "nose-picking" to the discussion.   You really do need to keep track of what you're saying.  Obviously, you're rather lost.  Run along back to the little kiddies' playground, please.   Roll Eyes

That is the extent of the logic you use when discussing religion. You do not get any more refined.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #50 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 2:25pm

freediver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 2:02pm:
Quote:

Can you explain this?

Quote:

Quote:

That is the extent of the logic you use when discussing religion. You do not get any more refined.

What I find particularly ironic is you, discussing "tolerance" when you're the least tolerant person on here.  You fear Muslims.  You suffer from Islamophobia.  Tsk, tsk, not to worry, I heard Soren is a Psychologist.  He graduated from the University of Baloney summa cum laude apparently.  I'm sure he could help treat you...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #51 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 3:02pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 2:25pm:
Quote:

Can you explain this?

Quote:

Quote:

What I find particularly ironic is you, discussing "tolerance" when you're the least tolerant person on here.  You fear Muslims.  You suffer from Islamophobia.  Tsk, tsk, not to worry, I heard Soren is a Psychologist.  He graduated from the University of Baloney summa cum laude apparently.  I'm sure he could help treat you...   Roll Eyes

So how is a doctor of divinity consistent with not being able to come up with anything more intelligent than nose picking logic?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 8:50pm

freediver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 3:02pm:
Quote:

Can you explain this?

Quote:

Quote:

So how is a doctor of divinity consistent with not being able to come up with anything more intelligent than nose picking logic?

Mail order doctor of nose picking.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 9:28pm

Frank wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 8:50pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 3:02pm:
Quote:

Can you explain this?

Quote:

Quote:

Mail order doctor of nose picking.

Just think, we allow muck like this into our country.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print