Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
police hand to hand combat training (Read 1585 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
police hand to hand combat training
Nov 16th, 2018 at 8:28am

OK, I'm probably setting myself up for a whole heap of trolling here but here goes...

So I'm watching again the footage of the jihadi lunging at police on Bourke St. Then I notice at least on one occasion one officer actually goes toe to toe, hand to hand. He appears to make an attempt to grab the arm that was holding the knife. But then he stumbles back and resumes pointing his gun at him.

Disarming someone with a knife is relatively straightforward for anyone with even the most basic hand to hand combat training. There are several different ways it can be done. I would have thought police these days get that training? Yet the officer I saw looked like he had no idea. Yes yes, I get the 'heat of the moment' thing, but really, this should be something police can do.

And no, I'm not rootin for the terrorists - in this case lives that were at real risk with him dancing around and police seemingly clueless - would have been spared less risk if he had been disarmed at the opportune time.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: police hand to hand combat training
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:08am

Hand to hand combat should be a last resort. Even well trained personnel can be injured or killed if things go awry. Trying to pick what a person is going to do next is an exercise in futility. What happens when the knife gets thrown?

If it is all you have then that's what you go with.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:41am

police should be armed with shopping trolleys

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:52am

Where were their tasers and capsicum spray, they probably had no effect on that Muslim beast.
Cops are very good at spotting cars with broken tail lights though.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:07am

Johnnie wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:52am:
Where were their tasers and capsicum spray, they probably had no effect on that Muslim beast.
Cops are very good at spotting cars with broken tail lights though.

capsicum spray was used apparently.

lee wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:08am:
Hand to hand combat should be a last resort. Even well trained personnel can be injured or killed if things go awry. Trying to pick what a person is going to do next is an exercise in futility. What happens when the knife gets thrown?

I hear you, but watch the footage - the officer actually had him, basically in his arms. Obviously the police are not always going to be at such close quarters to have the opportunity, but in this case they did. I think it would be pretty impossible for the knife to go flying into a the gullet of an innocent bystander if he was disarmed. There is really only one place it can go - on the ground. Also, how could attempting disarming be more dangerous than what was happening? The guy was dancing around and waving the knife like nobody's business. Despite the police pointing their guns, someone could easily have got stabbed. The trolly guy for example.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:24am

What I saw was two Victorian cops scared they were gunna be called racist, then came to their senses with one pulling the trigger

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Pedro Curevo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nth Coast NSW
Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:45am

Police should be trained in Triton and Net.....Short Swords and Shields.....because when a copper shoots someone dead it effects them psychologically although with terrorist it should be shoot first ask questions later.

Then dare say looking to the future drones with face recognition will just take crims out.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:55am

A sensible immigration policy would be better

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:55am

If it were isreal they would have disarmed him. Their police and tactical squads are trained in hand to hand but their prisoners aren't treated like we treat ours. Prison over there is not a holiday camp like it is here.

Our police are just revenue raisers and wouldn't know conflict untill it's to late....that's why they shot him.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:55am

The perpertrator has a knife, so hand to hand combat in this case is too risky.   I remember from my self defence class days, is that human hands are very delicate, its got too many joints / weak point, and are evolved to use tools rathers than direct combat.   

When facing someone with a knife, the police at least should have the batton or mace, or even guns or tazers.  Talking about which, the two officers did not seemed to have one.  I thought tazers are standard nowadays. 

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:06am

tickleandrose wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:55am:
The perpertrator has a knife, so hand to hand combat in this case is too risky.   I remember from my self defence class days, is that human hands are very delicate, its got too many joints / weak point, and are evolved to use tools rathers than direct combat.   

When facing someone with a knife, the police at least should have the batton or mace, or even guns or tazers.  Talking about which, the two officers did not seemed to have one.  I thought tazers are standard nowadays. 

Even if they had tazers they didn't have time to pull it out. They were too busy dodging stabs. It was a pretty intense few moments.

Quote:

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:13am

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:07am:
lee wrote Today at 7:08am:

I hear you, but watch the footage - the officer actually had him, basically in his arms.

But the flaw there is as you originally said - "then he stumbles back ". A street fight is not like a boxing ring. The area may be less than 3 square metres which impacts the ability to dodge. There may be things underfoot that cause a stumble.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:24am

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 8:28am:
OK, I'm probably setting myself up for a whole heap of trolling here but here goes...

So I'm watching again the footage of the jihadi lunging at police on Bourke St. Then I notice at least on one occasion one officer actually goes toe to toe, hand to hand. He appears to make an attempt to grab the arm that was holding the knife. But then he stumbles back and resumes pointing his gun at him.

Disarming someone with a knife is relatively straightforward for anyone with even the most basic hand to hand combat training. There are several different ways it can be done. I would have thought police these days get that training? Yet the officer I saw looked like he had no idea. Yes yes, I get the 'heat of the moment' thing, but really, this should be something police can do.

And no, I'm not rootin for the terrorists - in this case lives that were at real risk with him dancing around and police seemingly clueless - would have been spared less risk if he had been disarmed at the opportune time.

The dumbest comment on the internet;

"Disarming someone with a knife is relatively straightforward for anyone with even the most basic hand to hand combat training. There are several different ways it can be done. I would have thought police these days get that training?"

Your opinion is worse than useless.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:28am

"Disarming someone with a knife is relatively straightforward for anyone with even the most basic hand to hand combat training. There are several different ways it can be done. I would have thought police these days get that training?"

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:47am

The cops tried to hit him hard with batons but they kept missing.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:10pm

What a load of unadulterated nonsense. When, pray tell, have you in your infinite experience in unarmed combat, ever 'disarmed' someone with a knife? And for your information police training does indeed provide a certain basic level of DEFENSIVE unarmed combat, but I hasten to add that police officers are not Special Forces, they have the public to protect as well as themselves and going toe to toe with a lunatic with a knife is not about street fighting its about compliance as quickly as possible, one way or another, to stop the risk.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:57pm

I trained in martial arts for 18 years

I fought competitively for 6 of those years.

We regularly practiced hand to hand knife fighting and self defence against knife attacks.

I was club champion, undefeated, for 8 years in knife fighting.

I woukd not have attempted to disarm a madman.
Two reasons
Firstly , you have no idea what he is going to do.
We trained and trained and trained some more, but generally it was the inexperienced fighters that got past our defences by doing something so stupid that it was not expected. He would not fight or use the weapon as it should or logically be used.
The attack this terrorist used was so poor it was almost laughable.
No sane or competent person attacks with downward attacks like that, it leaves him open to attack.
In most knifings, the attacker comes at you fast and hard stabbing continually at the primary body mass, stomach, chest etc, it's over before it began and the only strategy is to back off and distance yourself until you can effectively defend.
Go for the legs, kick the knees, avoid closing.

The second.
How many weapons did he have?
We know now he had the one, but what if he had 2 or 3 secreted about his body.
You might get the first one but not see the second until it was sticking out of your belly.
He might have had other weapons, they just didn't know.

The cops, in my opinion, did a reasonable job
Although a trunchon blow delivers at the nutcases hand woukd have effectively disarmed him, but we then have reason two to consider.

In the end, the cop did what he was trained to do and the only sensible thing.
He shot the nutcase.

He has nothing to answer for and any weekend warrior who thinks it could have been done differently obviously has never had a knife fight.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:27pm

Bobby. wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:47am:
The cops tried to hit him hard with batons but they kept missing.

Seriously,... they didn't even look like they were trying in my opinion!

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #18 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:29pm

Term Dog wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:28am:

It is relatively straightforward: just ask any martial arts instructor.

Grin

***** SOME COPS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS YA KNOW!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #19 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:32pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:06am:
tickleandrose wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:55am:

Even if they had tazers they didn't have time to pull it out. They were too busy dodging stabs. It was a pretty intense few moments.

They should have had the tazers out from the start!

That is a lack of training for the situation...

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #20 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:36pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:55am:
If it were isreal they would have disarmed him. Their police and tactical squads are trained in hand to hand but their prisoners aren't treated like we treat ours. Prison over there is not a holiday camp like it is here.

Our police are just revenue raisers and wouldn't know conflict untill it's to late....that's why they shot him.

You could even say that what looked like an untrained approach was infact all about making it look like they had no option but to use lethal force for the cameras.

Strategically brilliant when you think about it.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:40pm

Thanks. However I was taught karate as a kid, and defending against a knife attack was about the first manuevre I learned. It really is surprisingly easy, and more than one way to do it.

Look I only brought it up because when I saw the video and saw the cop go toe to toe with him, it presented the perfect opportunity to perform a very simple manuevre, with extremely low risk. In fact it looks like he initially tried to do that, but then thought 'bugger it - I'll bail out" - at which point, it needs to be said, the attacker was far more dangerous than if he had tried to disarm him when he had the chance.

Quote:

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 3:57pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 1:40pm:

Thanks. However I was taught karate as a kid, and defending against a knife attack was about the first manuevre I learned. It really is surprisingly easy, and more than one way to do it.

Look I only brought it up because when I saw the video and saw the cop go toe to toe with him, it presented the perfect opportunity to perform a very simple manuevre, with extremely low risk. In fact it looks like he initially tried to do that, but then thought 'bugger it - I'll bail out" - at which point, it needs to be said, the attacker was far more dangerous than if he had tried to disarm him when he had the chance.

Plz stop talking.

Anyone else wondering, knife disarms are bullshit.

The poster who "did karate as a kid" is objectively  clueless on the topic.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 4:39pm

What if this muslim was wearing an explosive vest like numerous muslims when doing Jihad, would hand to hand combat be effective?

The only problem i have with police and this incident was why did they take so long to shoot him, were they afraid Dickhead Dan and other idiot leftists would accuse them of racism?

If you attack a cop with a knife you should expect them to shoot you.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #24 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 4:40pm

Gandalf you really are deluding yourself....!

Let’s put it this way have you got a 12 year old daughter, if not niece or whatever just think of a 12 year old girl.

If she attacks you with bare hands as viciously as she can, not holding anything back trying to damage you there should be no problem with you subduing her right, you might get a scratch or two but not a big deal for a grown man most of the time to subdue an adolescent girl or even boy for that matter.

Now put a kitchen knife in her hand and let her attack you in the same manner, she’s trying to kill you, the outcome is not so sure now is it ? especially if she niks a vital part.

On top of all that there’s also the adrenalin dump and your reaction to it, tunnel vision etc.

I once asked my karate instructor about facing someone with a knife and he was good, he could take your head off with one punch and he was hard to hit in return, basically he said he would run if he could, if not take his jumper or coat of wrap it around his hand and try to fend of the knife while trying to take his head off.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #25 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 5:43pm

Valkie wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:57pm:

We regularly practiced hand to hand knife fighting and self defence against knife attacks.

Two reasons
We trained and trained and trained some more, but generally it was the inexperienced fighters that got past our defences by doing something so stupid that it was not expected. He would not fight or use the weapon as it should or logically be used.
No sane or competent person attacks with downward attacks like that, it leaves him open to attack.
In most knifings, the attacker comes at you fast and hard stabbing continually at the primary body mass, stomach, chest etc, it's over before it began and the only strategy is to back off and distance yourself until you can effectively defend.

The second.
You might get the first one but not see the second until it was sticking out of your belly.

Although a trunchon blow delivers at the nutcases hand woukd have effectively disarmed him, but we then have reason two to consider.

He shot the nutcase.

He has nothing to answer for and any weekend warrior who thinks it could have been done differently obviously has never had a knife fight.

Valkie is correct,
actually you missed an important tip which I can tell everyone.
One of the best defenses against a knife is to hold up a chair
so that the 4 legs of the chair get in the way of the attacker.

The police batons would have been adequate in the hands
of a Bruce Lee type expert but they were just new cops.

Also - a madman swinging a knife around is very scary -
one cut to an artery and you're dead!
The cops should really have just shot him instantly &
not played around as they did.
It could have ended up as a dead policeman tragedy.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #26 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 8:41pm

Bobby. wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 5:43pm:
Valkie wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:57pm:

Two reasons

The second.

He shot the nutcase.

Valkie is correct,
actually you missed an important tip which I can tell everyone.
One of the best defenses against a knife is to hold up a chair
so that the 4 legs of the chair get in the way of the attacker.

The police batons would have been adequate in the hands
of a Bruce Lee type expert but they were just new cops.

Also - a madman swinging a knife around is very scary -
one cut to an artery and you're dead!
The cops should really have just shot him instantly &
not played around as they did.
It could have ended up as a dead policeman tragedy

I'm thinking they were winning public sentiment by not acting too quickly and letting the situation play out for the cameras!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #27 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 8:44pm

Term Dog wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 3:57pm:

Plz stop talking.

Anyone else wondering, knife disarms are bullshit.

The poster who "did karate as a kid" is objectively  clueless on the topic.

Knife disarms aren't bullshit: you just have to be very well trained!

NOT ALL COPS ARE THE SAME YA KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #28 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 8:47pm

WHAT STOPPED HIM THEN? IT CAN ONLY BE THE REALITY OF ADRENALIN DUMP!!

HENCE THE NEED FOR SUPERIOR TRAINING - NOT EVERYONE CAN DO THESE THINGS WIHTOUT HESITATION!!!

IT'S A REAL SKILL BUT SOME PEOPLE CAN DO AMAZING THINGS!

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #29 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 6:53pm

Police are not trained for day-to-day combat operations - their focus is to avoid such things by being a presence....  the cost of training to the degree you specify is astronomical, and even police weapons training is severely limited, to a few rounds a year at a stationary target.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print