Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Civic Duties - How Many? (Read 3066 times)
Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Civic Duties - How Many?
Nov 15th, 2018 at 12:40pm

How many civic duties can you think of, and will politicians be included in your idea of "Civic Duties"?

Let me list a few civic duties ...

Dobbing in a drug dealer

Notifying Police if you see something suspicious

Notifying Police if you see someone stealing

Helping to save someones life

How many other voluntary civic duties are there that you know about and would perform if you were willing to?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Civic Duties - How Many?
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:04pm

In public parks, and gardens, I will pick up discarded McDonald's trash and the like, and stick it in the bin instead of waiting for a council worker to do it.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:34pm

issuevoter wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:04pm:
In public parks, and gardens, I will pick up discarded McDonald's trash and the like, and stick it in the bin instead of waiting for a council worker to do it.

Do you do house calls?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:39pm

Good one

I remove storm debris and rocks from roads, but if there's heavy tree branches, I take photos and notify the Council by email.

Whether the Council reacted quickly to one incident I emailed them about some time ago, or other civic minded people voluntarily removed the heavy branch I don't know because the Council hasn't answered any of my emails about anything yet over the years I've been in the bush

The Council could at least be civil in return by sending me a few words like: "Thank you for your concern, when time permits, Council will remove the branch", and in a timely manner

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 2:16pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 1:39pm:

Good one

I remove storm debris and rocks from roads, but if there's heavy tree branches, I take photos and notify the Council by email.

Whether the Council reacted quickly to one incident I emailed them about some time ago, or other civic minded people voluntarily removed the heavy branch I don't know because the Council hasn't answered any of my emails about anything yet over the years I've been in the bush

The Council could at least be civil in return by sending me a few words like: "Thank you for your concern, when time permits, Council will remove the branch", and in a timely manner

Councils only interest in citizens is their rate payments. All else intereferes with their enjoyment of life.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 2:51pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 2:16pm:
Councils only interest in citizens is their rate payments. All else intereferes with their enjoyment of life.

Yes well, my clever use of: "and will politicians be included in your idea of "Civic Duties"? (politicians who make decisions for Councils in this case) was to take care of that in this discussion numbskull

Your logic: Politicians and Councils are not required to be civil

And we all know what your civic duties are, annoy the hell out of people till the day you kark it

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:04pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
Laugh till you cry wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 2:16pm:

Yes well, my clever use of: "and will politicians be included in your idea of "Civic Duties"? (politicians who make decisions for Councils in this case) was to take care of that in this discussion numbskull

Your logic: Politicians and Councils are not required to be civil

And we all know what your civic duties are, annoy the hell out of people till the day you kark it

Which council do you work for? Wait a minute, I mean which council pays you for your attendance at their premises?
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:18pm by Laugh till you cry »  

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:36pm

So is this a virtue signalling thread?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 8:58pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 3:36pm:
So is this a virtue signalling thread?

Nope, it's inquiring how many different voluntary civic duties there are

Here's another two ...

Volunteer bushfire fighting

Volunteer charity worker

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 10:15pm

Another ...

Volunteering to assist fund-raising for worthwhile causes within your suburb or town

(Freely giving a donation to a good cause in your local community could also be considered as fulfilling a civic duty)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 6:15am

Here's a selfish one. I donate to Wikipedia once a year.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 3:07pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 8:58pm:
voluntary civic duties

That's actually an oxymoron

Civic Duties are compulsory, such as voting, jury duty and paying taxes

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 5:29pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 3:07pm:
voluntary civic duties

I don't know about that. He did not use capitals, which could be read as unofficial.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 4:09pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 16th, 2018 at 3:07pm:
voluntary civic duties

Yes, I could change "duty" to "responsibility" which means much the same, so I'll leave it as "duty" and continue to type it with a lower case "d"

The idea was that we should all have a sense of being civil in a given society.

Leaving a house trashed after renting it is not being civil. Those people lack a sense of civic duty

I always went to great pains to leave the house or flat I was renting in good condition before collecting my bond. I had good family up-bringing examples to learn from when young. We were poor, but that was no excuse to be unclean or untidy

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 4:26pm

The great champion of civic "duty" was of course - Ian Kiernan of Clean up Australia fame, a volunteer I admired immensely and still do. We should all follow in his footsteps, better still, don't litter or dump stuff where it shouldn't be dumped in the first place

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:16am

Here's one that is half and half voluntary and compulsory - driving within speed limits

Mind you, once a cop is on your tail, it suddenly becomes absolutely compulsory, but if the cops are not around, it's up to you to do your civic duty and remain within the speed limits indicated by signs on the roadside

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:28pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:16am:
Here's one that is half and half voluntary and compulsory - driving within speed limits

Mind you, once a cop is on your tail, it suddenly becomes absolutely compulsory, but if the cops are not around, it's up to you to do your civic duty and remain within the speed limits indicated by signs on the roadside

Have you ever heard this one? "Yes, but I'm a good driver."

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:46pm

I pick up plastic off the beach, and as much as I hate it, when I'm near a kids playground and I see a dog turd I pick it up myself.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:42pm

Done Marine Rescue and soon to do my Community Radio slot (both Volunteer).

So its much like 'Social Ethic/Moral' performance?

Snorkling around Wollongong harbour every now and then, I would 'clean up' - occasionally finding good knives, a mask, etc.

We do scuba dives of Clean Up as well.

When I did Taxi - I would 'give tips' as well as 'receive tips'.
If a really rich guy gave me a $20 tip - it would be used to give a single mum with 3 kids a nice ride.

"The Best things in Life are 'Free' " is my motto.

Currently, I go out and bash a Moslem... for 'Free'.  Wink Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 7:39pm

issuevoter wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:28pm:

When I was young I copped a few speeding fines, none of which were more than 10ks over

It all changed when I did an Advanced driving course conducted by the tv personality who had that motoring show "Torque". I volunteered to do it, not ordered to

That course instilled in me a sense of responsibility on the road as well as acquiring driving skills to anticipate
wrong moves by "ordinary" drivers, to avoid accidents and judge braking distances under all conditions

I've driven cars, trucks and rode motorcycles and I have a license for each. Knowing what they're all about, I give motorcyclists a fair go on the road, and I understand how a truckie thinks, then adjusting my driving according to the conditions when a truck or semi is behind me or even in front, give them room and let them know you're there by getting in their mirror vision

I hardly ever overtake another vehicle because when you stick to the speed limit, a lot of "ordinary" drivers just want to pass you. They can't stand you doing 80, 60, 40 ks

I've never bought car insurance, never needed it and likely never will. I've never made a claim against Greenslip insurance, again never likely to either. I traded insurance premiums for common sense, responsibility, extra driving skills and keeping my eyes and ears open

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 7:44pm

I blow up feral birds,,, lorikeets

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 7:51pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 7:39pm:

When I was young I copped a few speeding fines, none of which were more than 10ks over

It all changed when I did an Advanced driving course conducted by the tv personality who had that motoring show "Torque". I volunteered to do it, not ordered to

That course instilled in me a sense of responsibility on the road as well as acquiring driving skills to anticipate
wrong moves by "ordinary" drivers, to avoid accidents and judge braking distances under all conditions

I've driven cars, trucks and rode motorcycles and I have a license for each. Knowing what they're all about, I give motorcyclists a fair go on the road, and I understand how a truckie thinks, then adjusting my driving according to the conditions when a truck or semi is behind me or even in front, give them room and let them know you're there by getting in their mirror vision

I hardly ever overtake another vehicle because when you stick to the speed limit, a lot of "ordinary" drivers just want to pass you. They can't stand you doing 80, 60, 40 ks

I've never bought car insurance, never needed it and likely never will. I've never made a claim against Greenslip insurance, again never likely to either. I traded insurance premiums for common sense, responsibility, extra driving skills and keeping my eyes and ears open

That's the important bit right there.
Knowing how the other drivers think.
By understanding how they drive and under what conditions - it goes a long way in me preparing and being an 'aware' driver.
Being a Taxi Driver (concentrate on the road/driving foremost, listen to the customers, listen to the caller ringing for the next pick-up, writing down the details, listen/talk to the other back-up drivers, etc) - I have to be very 'quick on the reflex' driving. Knowing the type of other drivers out there, goes a long way ...especially the worst kind: like the Chinese holidayer in the rental car  Tongue Prepare for the worst!!!

Doing long distance driving most my life.
My tip is, especially at night. Allow another car to over-take and just follow their red tail-lights: let them do the hard visual work looking for the road, being the bumper bar for roos and having to switch high-beam on/off for approaching vehicles.
The less work you put on your 'visual' part of the brain, the better. Good music goes a long way and minimise the 'sight-seeing' even if its lovely countryside.
Don't eat a lot, makes you sleepier and lethargic, keep the vehicle cooler rather than warmer. Don't do coffee - peps you up for an hour, then takes you down the next.

Safe Driving.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:09pm

Good post JaSin

Also, when tired, have the driver's window down a little to circulate fresh air in your face. It can prevent going to sleep at the wheel. It usually does the trick

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:17pm by Bias_2012 »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:22pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:09pm:
Good post JaSin

Also, when tired, have the driver's window down a little to circulate fresh air in your face. It can prevent going to sleep at the wheel. It usually does the trick

Agreed. My tip for driving food is a big tub of carrot sticks and cucumbers.  You can boredom eat the whole way and not feel full

IBI

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 9:38pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 7:39pm:

I regularly get the finger and foul language for doing the speed limit.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #25 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 3:26pm

This subject brings back memories ...

Philosophy 101 at teacher's college.

"If I have a right, you have a duty, if I have a privilege, you have an obligation." Discuss.

And yes, the lecturer wore a jacket with elbow patches and smoked a pipe!!!!

Grin

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #26 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 5:24pm

I think it depends on what the individual considers to be civilised behaviour, and what a civilised society should be.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:44pm

issuevoter wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 5:24pm:
I think it depends on what the individual considers to be civilised behaviour, and what a civilised society should be.

That makes sense

But it's only when it's decided how a civilized society is formed and conducted, will an individual know how to behave in a civic manner according to the type of society they live in

There are different societies, so therefore there are different behaviors

We have a modern first world type society, which implies civilized behavior, but these days we are not really being civilized. We need to learn all over again how to be civilized through knowing our civic duties and place emphasis on voluntary action. Compulsory civic "duty" is a drag, only the teaching of voluntary duty will bring back the true spirit of civic duty, starting with parents teaching children early, then schools could have a session now and then on civilized behavior and civic duty

The trouble is though, our governments are raking in fines, providing employment for more and more police, as well as asking big insurance companies to deal with government legislated compulsory insurance. Governments have a lot of interest in keeping these going. So I imagine they don't necessarily want us to be too civilized, just be civilized some of the time.

It's up to the individual to acquire a strong sense of voluntary civic duty. Our governments won't really help with that, except for a few sound bites about speeding and littering to make themselves look like they're part of the solution

IP Logged

Tally

Reply #28 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:56pm

I think it's the little everyday things we do which makes a society function and could be called civic duty.

Letting/helping people merge in traffic, waving someone in front of you when you have a big trolley full of groceries and they have a few items, lending people a hand when in need.

When you're polite and helpful it rubs off. Sure, some will take advantage but the majority of people are good and will respond in kind.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #29 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 8:53pm

have done a lot of long distance driving- the bit about tailing a truck is good advice- hitting a roo on a long haul drive is bad news- and i try to never drive at night if possible- keep your car well ventilated - stop and walk around when feeling weary-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #30 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:30pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:44pm:
issuevoter wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 5:24pm:

That makes sense

But it's only when it's decided how a civilized society is formed and conducted, will an individual know how to behave in a civic manner according to the type of society they live in

There are different societies, so therefore there are different behaviors

We have a modern first world type society, which implies civilized behavior, but these days we are not really being civilized. We need to learn all over again how to be civilized through knowing our civic duties and place emphasis on voluntary action. Compulsory civic "duty" is a drag, only the teaching of voluntary duty will bring back the true spirit of civic duty, starting with parents teaching children early, then schools could have a session now and then on civilized behavior and civic duty

The trouble is though, our governments are raking in fines, providing employment for more and more police, as well as asking big insurance companies to deal with government legislated compulsory insurance. Governments have a lot of interest in keeping these going. So I imagine they don't necessarily want us to be too civilized, just be civilized some of the time.

It's up to the individual to acquire a strong sense of voluntary civic duty. Our governments won't really help with that, except for a few sound bites about speeding and littering to make themselves look like they're part of the solution

Well . . . I probably don't agree with you. The matter of different societies and their different behaviours does not validate different interpretations of civilisation. In my view, civilisation is a matter of degree. Modern Western societies are products of a slow refinement of what is fair and decent. Certainly, they have a way to go, but I do not see them equal by comparison with other less developed societies.

I don't believe it is civilised for a government to have an official religion, it implies a person of that belief is correct, when this is pure conjecture, and many religions espouse the view that only by following it, can a person be fair, decent and moral.

I don't think we have to learn anything over again. No society has achieved a higher degree of civilisation than our Western, but I would agree that we need to re-examine the concept of civilisation carefully, and not attribute it to dogmatic notions of what some spurious authority has deemed it to be, just because its traditional.

The Magna Carta, the US Declaration of Independence, and Bill of Rights are all good starts at defining civilisation, but they are only the beginning. In the process, we cannot have people claiming they are God's chosen people, Buddhist, Jew, Hindu, Moslem, Christian must give up that claim, because it is bigotry with only superstition as a support.

I would put forward for critique, the ideal of a society where no individual or group of any description, is allowed to take advantage of another individual or group. And I am not interested in debating the meaning of advantage. We all know it, when we see it.

Further, your sense that government does not want us to be civilised so it can increase its revenue, may seem to explain bureaucratic regulation, but government is the result of democratic policy making by elected representatives, not some shadowy and homogenous, self-perpetuating entity. That sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 2:09pm

issuevoter wrote on Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:30pm:
Further, your sense that government does not want us to be civilised so it can increase its revenue, may seem to explain bureaucratic regulation, but government is the result of democratic policy making by elected representatives, not some shadowy and homogenous, self-perpetuating entity. That sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

Take road safety for example. Our governments only go so far with their campaigns to reduce crashes and serious injury. They could go further by insisting on a second test after the initial drivers license test. A one day verbal familiarization lecture in a class room, for awareness of varying driving conditions and how to cope with them, it would be prudently beneficial. And perhaps get the drivers to demonstrate a few awkward manoeuvres at moderate speed in a training park after being shown how to perform them. This would instill more confidence in drivers who otherwise might be blasé or naturally complacent about driving skills and are accident prone

The idea of the extra training is to increase awareness and responsibility on the road, but governments seem reluctant to take the road safety issue any further than they already have, which means drivers will continue to be unattentive, crash into fences and houses, not know their brake pedal from the accelerator, text on mobiles, speed, hit and run, slam into other vehicles, play chicken with trucks, and so on and so on

The media, can think of nothing more than making a show about real learners doing driving tests, for us to giggle at from our lounge chairs

In my opinion governments are not taking road safety seriously, they are content to let insurance companies rake in $billions in premiums and those companies' profits can be taxed. There is a whole economy, social and private, built around vehicle crashes and injuries - insurance, tow trucks, police, assessors, doctors, nurses, financial institutions, contractors for rebuilding damaged property, and the replacement parts industry. It's not really in governments interests to interfere with all this employment, so what do they do? they impose fines, rather than go to the source of the problem and fix it there - that would be their authentic civic duty

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print