Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Is a tertiary degree worth the expense these days? (Read 6938 times)
Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Is a tertiary degree worth the expense these days?
Nov 11th, 2018 at 9:36am

It's getting to the point where you woul have to be stupid to go to uni.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Re: Is a tertiary degree worth the expense these days?
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:48am

Well put this way TD people in lower payed jobs will work hard all their lives to climb the ladder and get promoted to a job that may pay 50k, 60k up to about 80k a year.

A university graduate with a degree will start working at his or her first job at about 50k in the first year, that is usually the case in engineering, then its all up from there.

Education never hurt anybody.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:55am by Ajax »  

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:55am

Ajax wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:48am:
Well put this way TD people in lower payed jobs will work hard all their lives to climb the ladder and get promoted to a job that may pay 50k, 60k up to about 80k a year.

A university graduate with a degree will start working at his or her first job at no lower than about 50k in the first year, that is usually the case in engineering.

Lots of educational options beside uni and many lead to great paying jobs. All depends what degree you do.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:58am

Term Dog wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:55am:
Ajax wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:48am:

A university graduate with a degree will start working at his or her first job at no lower than about 50k in the first year, that is usually the case in engineering.

Lots of educational options beside uni and many lead to great paying jobs. All depends what degree you do.

A degree gives you a head start.

Where else will you be payed around 50k in the first year still a freshman.

I am talking about engineering.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:03am

It's a shame both the libs and lab have f@rked the TAFE system from what I can gather it just isn't what it used to be.

So what does that say about our politicians and what they think of the young people coming through the system.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:04am

Peeling potatoes on mine site will earn you more than 50k,

Yes engineer start pretty well.so.do many apprenticeships in engineering. You have to look at the whole spectrum of uni degrees and they are becoming more expensive and worth less.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:08am

Term Dog wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:04am:

Yes engineer start pretty well.so.do many apprenticeships in engineering. You have to look at the whole spectrum of uni degrees and they are becoming more expensive and worth less.

To get good money on a mine site you have to be a FIFO worker and I'm sure you've heard about the mental health issues they suffer.

FIFO workers work 12 hours a day 2 or 3 weeks in a row maybe more then they may have a week off and ditto again.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:14am

Ajax wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:08am:
Term Dog wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:04am:

To get good money on a mine site you have to be a FIFO worker and I'm sure you've heard about the mental health issues they suffer.

FIFO workers work 12 hours a day 2 or 3 weeks in a row maybe more then they may have a week off and ditto again.

They are not being forced,  I know some young fifo's paid to investment properties off at Hervey bay not even 40yo...no tertiary education.

Mental health is an issue in every job or no job.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:18am

Also.your wrong about fifo's, the trend now is to employ locals. They account for a growing section of the mine workforce in rural areas.

If you choose to live on tbe Gold coast and fifo that's your choice.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:23am

Term Dog wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:14am:
They are not being forced, 

First FIFO = fly in fly out

I never said they were forced its just a condition to work 12 hours a day otherwise if you don't agree you will never get it.

Quote:
I know some young fifo's paid to investment properties off at Hervey bay not even 40yo...no tertiary education.

No comment, don't know anything about it.

Quote:
Mental health is an issue in every job or no job.

I have worked in all the major capital cities on the main land expect Darwin for a substantial period of time.

Every time I was sent interstate I would ring the boss and fly her and the kids out to where I was, I was lucky my kids were at the age where they didn't have to start school, there's only so much you can do with your colleagues then its just four walls.

Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, every time I got the boss and the kids at my own expense to come and join me, its hard on your own and I only worked a civilized 10 hours a day.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:24am

Term Dog wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:18am:
Also.your wrong about fifo's, the trend now is to employ locals. They account for a growing section of the mine workforce in rural areas.

If you choose to live on tbe Gold coast and fifo that's your choice.

Yes I know locals for know until the work load becomes too much again.

IP Logged

Tally

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:28am

The advice the most successful and innovative people are now giving the younger generation is what ever sector you decide to go into, learn how to LEARN.

We're now on the cusp of technological changes so great that flexibility and being able to adapt is the most important thing.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:32am

Term Dog wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 9:36am:

Term Dog wouldn't even qualify for dog obedience school.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:37am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:32am:
Term Dog wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 9:36am:

Term Dog wouldn't even qualify for dog obedience school.

Rent free in your head.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:37am

Nurses new Code of Conduct now includes a  'Cultural Safety' clause whereby Nurses and Midwives are encouraged to acknowledge their 'white privilege' before treating indigenous  patients.

What is the cost of a nursing degree now?  With this sort of idiocy they should be free.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print