Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aussie workers residing OS (Read 376 times)
Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Aussie workers residing OS
Nov 7th, 2018 at 6:49am

I live around lots of high paid men in construction, mining etc. More and more are residing with their families in neighbouring Asian countries and working in Oz getting company accommodation while they do their work contracts then go back and live in another country between jobs.

This can't be good for our economy.

Anyone else seen this trend?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Aussie workers residing OS
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:23am

Yes.... train drivers for BHP, Rio & Fortesque in WA.

I wouldn't want my family OS in an Asian country if a medical emergency cropped up.

Mind you the airfares from OS to their worksites is cheaper than flying internally. But most companies are paying the airfares anyway.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:29am

Gnads wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:23am:

I wouldn't want my family OS in an Asian country if a medical emergency cropped up.

Mind you the airfares from OS to their worksites is cheaper than flying internally. But most companies are paying the airfares anyway.

That medical concern is misinformed, I know lots of Aussies that are financially secure that only fly to Asia to get their medical needs including major operations done. They crunched the numbers, service and risk and better to go OS to get medical and dental.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 11:23am

I worked in China for three years, living in Shanghai.
I lived a life of luxury in an executive suite, I did get to go home every month and several times i Brought my wife back to china.

But she couldn't handle the pollution, so I finally gave up a very well paid job to come back to Australia.

The money is there, they need the experience and skills that they do not have.
I like the Chinese, they are easy to get along with and living in China was basically money for nothing.

But it takes a special type of person to live there full time and not return home regularly.
Many Finns I worked with did this and I admire their perseverance.
A couple had marriage breakups because they were rarely home.

In the end it comes down to three things
1) is money the only thing that matters?
2) can you justify being away from you family and putting a strain on the marriage?
3) Can you live a lifestyle that is totally different from that you have in Australia?

While I was away a good friend of my wife was killed in a car accident that my wife actually saw.
I was, at a minimum, 12 hours away, possibly more, I could not be there to comfort or help her.
I had to wait 3 days to get a flight back, it was a nightmare.

there were other instances of trouble, water leaks, storm damage, children issues, all are very difficult to manage remotely.

Yes, sometimes you need to go to the work.
But sometimes it just aint worth it.

It was an interesting time.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 4:48pm

Term Dog wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:29am:
Gnads wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:23am:

That medical concern is misinformed, I know lots of Aussies that are financially secure that only fly to Asia to get their medical needs including major operations done. They crunched the numbers, service and risk and better to go OS to get medical and dental.

So they're also cheap Charlie's like all the Aussies that holiday in Bali?

It's always those with the most money that are the tightest...... I suppose that's why they have money.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 5:07pm

Gnads wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 4:48pm:
So they're also cheap Charlie's like all the Aussies that holiday in Bali?

It's always those with the most money that are the tightest...... I suppose that's why they have money.

Gnads, darling, they invested in their human capital and aspired to high paying jobs unlike yourself.

I am surmising your local pub manager and bottle shop has amassed more of Gnads' wealth than Gnads has.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 5:14pm

Money has no value to those living on welfare, Gov feeds, clothes, houses and fixes you.

Those of us that work for our shixt and fund the welfare lifestyle of others value things including, money,  family,  life, community....etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print