Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boeing 737: I'm leaving on a jet plane don't know (Read 1420 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Boeing 737: I'm leaving on a jet plane don't know
Nov 6th, 2018 at 12:13am

... if I'll be back again.

If you're flying to San Francisco be sure to wear a flower in your hair ...

Because if it's a Boeing 737 you might never be seen again.

Faulty airspeed indicator being fingered in the Indonesian plane crash.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/05/lion-air-crash-plane-had-ai...

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Re: Boeing 737: I'm leaving on a jet plane don't know
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 9:27am

So, I'm guessing they might have to look at changing the popular saying:

"If it's not Boeing, I'm not going".

Mind you, Airbus have also had problems with airspeed indicators:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 9:31am

4 times it was reported that plane should not have been in the air....simple as that.....it was only 6 weeks old.. Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 9:39am

Hmm ... dodgy instruments ... could be just that one aircraft? Or it could be a fault with this design, however, a faulty airspeed indicator by itself doesn't explain how an aircraft in clear weather could go nose-down under power into the sea, given the pretty experienced pilot / co-pilot ?

Unless the degree of computerization on this aircraft caused it to "go nuts" because of crazy instrument readings?

Must have been a very serious malfunction to cause this disaster.  Sad

Love to hear what was on the voice recorder if it can be found intact.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:52pm

More Boeing 737s discovered with faults.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/lion-air-crash-indonesia...

Quote:
Lion Air crash: Indonesia finds faults in two other Boeing 737-MAX jets after crash
AUTHORITIES have made a chilling find in the Lion Air investigation - and it could have implications for flyers around the world.

News Corp Australia NetworkNOVEMBER 3, 20182:04PM

INDONESIA’S transport ministry has found faults in two other Boeing 737-MAX 8 jets, including a cockpit indicator display problem which an analyst warned may be similar to one reported in the crashed Lion Air Jet.

The ministry said it is inspecting 10 of the newly released jets owned by Lion and flagship carrier Garuda, as authorities analyse data from a recovered black box that may help explain why flight JT610 plummeted into the Java Sea, killing 189 people on Monday.

Few details have been released, but the ministry said it had looked over half a dozen jets so far and discovered that one had a problem linked to its cockpit display while another had a glitch in a jet stabilisation system.

Both Lion-owned planes required new components, it said.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo visits the search mission after new details about the jet’s previous flight cast more doubt on Lion Air’s claim to have fixed technical problems. Picture: AP
Indonesian President Joko Widodo visits the search mission after new details about the jet’s previous flight cast more doubt on Lion Air’s claim to have fixed technical problems. Picture: APSource:AP

Aviation analyst Dudi Sudibyo said the cockpit display issue could include a speed-and-altitude glitch reported in the doomed jet.

Indonesia’s Tempo news website published a minute-by-minute summary of what it said were the conversations between air traffic control and the pilots of Monday’s fatal flight, who reported a “flight control problem” and were unsure of their altitude.

Asked about the accuracy of the report, National Transportation Safety Committee deputy head Haryo Satmiko said it had “similarities” with the information received “legally” by investigators.

Mr Sudibyo stressed that with aeroplanes, “even if there is a single, tiny fault it should not fly.”

If there is a problem with the new Boeing 737-MAX 8 jets, that will have implications for flyers around the world including Australia.

It’s understood Virgin Australia has 30 Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes on order, with the first of them due to arrive in November next year.

An investigator inspects debris hauled from the seabed after Lion Air flight JT610 crashed into the Java Sea on Monday. Picture: AP
An investigator inspects debris hauled from the seabed after Lion Air flight JT610 crashed into the Java Sea on Monday. Picture: APSource:AP

Stephen Wright, an aviation expert at the University of Leeds, told AFP that the faults identified by the transport ministry in the two other Boeing jets were “very minor.”

He added that any problems with the new jet’s pitot-static system — which determines speed and altitude among other measurements — will be key to the probe.

The inspection comes as questions swirl about why a plane that had gone into service just months ago crashed into the sea minutes after takeoff.

The single-aisle jet, en route from Jakarta to Pangkal Pinang city, is one of the world’s newest and most advanced commercial passenger planes.

Budget carrier Lion Air’s admission that the doomed jet had a technical issue on a previous flight — as well its abrupt fatal dive — have raised questions about whether it had mechanical faults specific to the new model.

It has since come to light that the pilot on the plane’s previous flight on Sunday from Bali requested to return to the airport not long after takeoff but then reported the problem had been resolved and continued onto Jakarta.

Indonesia’s National Transportation Safety Committee said it was interviewing people who flew on the plane the day before the fatal crash.

Some have reported a frightening, erratic trip, an assertion that appears to be backed up by flight tracking data. ...

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 4:23pm

Looks like faulty flight control software on these Boeing 737 Max 8s could be the problem.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 2:12pm

Boeing and the FAA are being very devious about this because a suspension of 737 due to defective software would cost Boeing $billions.

It stinks of corruption.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2018/11/07/boeing-737-max-faa-sens...

Quote:
Boeing, FAA update airlines on 737 Max sensor issue
Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY Published 11:54 a.m. ET Nov. 7, 2018 | Updated 4:14 p.m. ET Nov. 7, 2018

Boeing has issued a safety bulletin to all airlines that operate the Boeing 737 Max aircraft, and the Federal Aviation Administration is expected to follow with an Airworthiness Directive mandating safety protocols for U.S. carriers.

The moves by Boeing and the FAA follow the Oct. 29 crash of a 2-month-old Lion Air Boeing 737 Max jet that killed all 189 onboard when the plane plunged into the sea shortly after taking off from Jakarta, Indonesia.

Safety regulators of other nations typically follow directives issued by the FAA.

The focus in the crash investigation appears to have turned to the flight data sensor and the possibility it returned erroneous readings.

Two U.S. airlines fly the Boeing 737 Max 8. Southwest has 26 while American Airlines has 16. Combined, the airlines have hundreds more on order.

United Airlines flies another variant, the 737 Max 9, which also is covered by Boeing's bulletin. None of those U.S. airlines have reported the issue covered by Boeing’s bulletin regarding its 737 Max aircraft.

Bloomberg News was the first to report that the FAA planned to issue an airworthiness directive for the 737 Max. Bloomberg wrote that “under some circumstances, such as when pilots are flying manually, the Max jets will automatically try to push down the nose if they detect that an aerodynamic stall is possible.”

It's the sensor readings that are thought to incorrectly show that such a stall is possible.

A Boeing statement said that its safety bulletin, sent to airlines on Tuesday, directs flight crews to “existing flight crew procedure” on how they should respond to erroneous data for the sensor which monitors an aircraft’s "angle of attack," a vital measurement in determining lift after takeoff.

Aerospace industry expert Jon Ostrower writes via his blog The Air Current that “the erroneous (angle of attack) input can pitch the aircraft’s stabilizer trim down for up to 10 seconds at a time.”

Boeing’s bulletin is said to include instructions to pilots on how to compensate for automated controls that may be triggered by incorrect sensor readings.

After Boeing’s update, the FAA followed on Wednesday with a statement that, according to Bloomberg, it plans to issue an airworthiness directive on the issue and “will take further appropriate actions depending on the results of the investigation.”

The Wall Street Journal, also citing unnamed “people familiar with the matter,” writes “the moves are the first public indication that investigators suspect a possible software glitch or misinterpretation by pilots – related to an essential system that measures how high or low a plane’s nose is pointed – may have played an important part in the sequence of events that caused the Boeing 737 Max 8 to plunge into the Java Sea.”

“Boeing and the FAA are providing operators with information and a reminder of how to address a stabilizer trim nose down condition,” says John Cox, aviation expert and USA TODAY’s Ask the Captain author. “There are several steps a crew can take, but in the end they switch the electric stabilizer trim off and revert to manual trim."

“Stabilizer trim” refers to flight controls addressing the pitch of the airplane, according to Cox.

It wasn't immediately clear if Boeing planned an further update to its Tuesday bulletin, but comments made to The Associated Press indicated they expected one.

For now, that leaves airlines to ensure that they’re following the latest updates.

Boeing has delivered more than 200 models of the aircraft and has received orders for more than 4,500 of its 737 Max models.

More: Lion Air crash: Southwest, American use the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

For now, though, industry analysts played down the possible impact on U.S. airlines and travelers. 

"No impact at all so far," Richard Aboulafia, a vice president at Teal Group who analyzes commercial aviation, told USA TODAY. "There's a working hypothesis, and a caution to watch crew procedure in the event that this problem repeats. If the hypothesis is correct, there could, conceivably, be minor equipment modifications and a renewed emphasis on crew procedure."

He added, "there is nothing, so far, that indicates a serious problem for airlines and nothing that would impact the safest form of transportation ever created."

Another industry Henry Harteveldt, co-founder of the Atmosphere Research Group travel consultancy, echoed those sentiments.

He said it’s too early make conclusions until the FAA actually issues its directive on the subject.

He points out the agency regularly issues directives. While some are for serious items, many address relatively minor issues.

“Right now, based on what information is available, it appears this will be a fairly unobtrusive type of directive in terms of affecting airline operations,” Harteveldt said. “I’m not expecting aircraft to be grounded. I’m not expecting airlines to take the airplanes out of service.”

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Boeing 737: I'm leaving on a jet plane don't know
Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 12:27am

Boeing is being fingered as the culprit in the Lion Air crash in Indonesia.

The US air safety system is corrupt because the FAA hasn't grounded 737s until the problem is fixed.

This problem must already have been reported multiple times to the FAA and Boeing. So far nothing is fixed.

Boeing's advice, kiss your butt goodbye if it happens.

"The potential fault in the system is that it can push the plane's nose down "unexpectedly and so strongly" that pilots can't pull it back up even when flying manually, the report said. It added that when that happens, the plane could dive or crash."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/13/lion-air-crash-boeing-withheld-information-on737...

Quote:
Boeing didn't disclose possible fault in flight safety feature suspected in Lion Air crash: WSJ
PUBLISHED TUE, NOV 13 2018 • 2:20 AM EST | UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
Yen Nee Lee
KEY POINTS
Boeing failed to warn the airline industry about a potentially dangerous feature in its a new flight-control system that is suspected to play a role in the fatal Lion Air crash in Indonesia last month, The Wall Street Journal said.
That fight-control feature is the automated stall-prevention system found on Boeing 737 MAX 8 and MAX 9 models, which is intended to help pilots avoid raising a plane’s nose too high, the Journal reported.
The potential fault in the system is that it can push the plane’s nose down “unexpectedly and so strongly” that pilots can’t pull it back up even when flying manually, the report said.

Boeing failed to warn the airline industry about a potentially dangerous feature in its a new flight-control system that is suspected of playing a role in the fatal Lion Air crash in Indonesia last month, The Wall Street Journal reported late on Monday.

That aircraft feature is the automated stall-prevention system found on Boeing 737 MAX 8 and MAX 9 models, the Journal reported, citing industry sources including safety experts, aviation regulators and airline pilots.
In response to CNBC's request for comment, Boeing said it is "confident in the safety of the 737 MAX."
"We are taking every measure to fully understand all aspects of this incident, working closely with the investigating team and all regulatory authorities involved," a spokeswoman said in an email.

The system in question is designed to help pilots avoid raising a plane's nose too high, which can cause it to stall, according to the report. The potential fault in the system is that it can push the plane's nose down "unexpectedly and so strongly" that pilots can't pull it back up even when flying manually, the report said. It added that when that happens, the plane could dive or crash.

Boeing revealed the possible fault in a bulletin to airlines about a week after the Lion Air crash, the report indicated.
Lion Air's new Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashed into the Java Sea last month shortly after taking off from Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta airport. The plane was carrying 189 people, including crew.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:45am

Over-populated Planet...

...time to start 'culling'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:45am:
Over-populated Planet...

...time to start 'culling'.

That's a brief suicide note.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 4:07pm

Boeing is culpable in the Lion Air crash. The US FAA is complicit.

Boeing withheld information form pilots on a new anti-stall software function.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/280521-boeing-737-crash-caused-by-new-safety...

Quote:
Boeing 737 Crash Caused By New Safety System Pilots Weren’t Told Existed
By Joel Hruska on November 13, 2018 at 4:01 pm 14 Comments

Modern aircraft are staggeringly complex. There’s a complex interconnected web of systems controlled by both the pilot and co-pilot and the onboard computers dedicated to keeping the airborne meat-filled-tube-with-wings-attached firmly in the air. When an aircraft is lost, it’s an international tragedy. Modern aircraft typically don’t fall out of the sky without warning, which is why the Lion Air 610 crash on October 29 that killed 189 people was such an unusual event. New information suggests the blame for that event in Indonesia rests squarely on Boeing’s shoulders.

FAA officials and airline pilots are zeroing in on a new anti-stall system as being responsible for the crash, The Wall Street Journal reports. Workers on an oil platform near where the airline slammed into the water report that it struck at a steep, nose-down angle. That’s significant, because a week after the crash, Boeing distributed a warning to airlines worldwide that a new anti-stall system on the 737 MAX 8 and 737 MAX 9 could cause the aircraft’s nose to suddenly drop, resulting in a steep dive. This can occur even when the aircraft is under manual control and when pilots don’t expect the flight computer to override their actions.

A stall can occur when the nose of the plane is elevated, so a new system that pushes the nose down could make sense, but pilots weren’t trained on how to recover the Boeing 737 MAX from this event. Previous 737s lacked this feature. Illustration by Wikipedia.

It gets worse. According to Indonesian investigators and multiple pilot organizations, this scenario isn’t covered in the 737 MAX 8 or MAX 9 flight manual and was not taught to pilots. Bloomberg reports that none of the documentation for the aircraft explained the existence or function of the system. Boeing has stated that the Lion Air 610 received “erroneous input” from one of its AOA (angle-of-attack) sensors, which was presumably at least partly responsible for the flight computer’s decision to drop the aircraft’s nose and engage the stall prevention system. But without proper training, the flight crew on the aircraft would not have known how to recover the plane. Previous 737s did not push the nose of the aircraft down as part of stall prevention.

Bloomberg notes that “A long-standing procedure taught to pilots could have halted the dive, according to the regulator and the manufacturer. The FAA ordered airlines to add an explanation into flight manuals,” but does not state what the procedure was. In a situation like this, knowing the aircraft inside and out is critical. Lion Air 610 had only been in the air for 13 minutes and had already requested permission to return to Jakarta and land. We can assume, therefore, that the aircraft was well below its target altitude when the steep descent began. An aircraft in emergency descent can drop quickly; this Quora link suggests 6,000 – 7,000 feet per minute is not uncommon. While we don’t know what nose angle the anti-stall system set or the altitude of the aircraft, a little envelope math suggests the pilots had very little time to pull the aircraft out of the dive.

In that kind of scenario, there may only be time to try a single method of recovering the plane, and the Lion Air pilots obviously guessed incorrectly. They shouldn’t have been guessing at all.

The WSJ also states that one of the selling points of the 737 MAX, according to Boeing, was that pilots wouldn’t need any additional simulator time to learn the aircraft, and that the company opted not to disclose additional technical information in the belief that doing so would “inundate” pilots with technical details they neither needed nor could grasp.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 9:41am

... if I'll be bak again.

Boeing is being fingered for the Lion Air crash for design changes that caused stall at low speed that required software to overcome.

Pilots were not informed of the problem, it's cause and remedies:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/before-fatal-lion-air-crash-boeings-new-jet-hit-pr...

Quote:
Before Fatal Lion Air Crash, Boeing’s New Jet Hit Problem in Tests
The 737 MAX-8 presented pilots with a challenge that the company thought could be solved with a system that airline pilots need not know about.

Clive Irving
11.23.18 10:31 AM ET

When Boeing pilots were flight testing the new MAX-8 version of the venerable 737 jet they discovered a problem that made the airplane difficult to handle when its speed dropped to a point where it was in danger of triggering an aerodynamic stall, and a loss of control that could lead to a crash.

This is revealed in new reporting by Aviation Week. The report suggests that in order to mitigate the problem Boeing introduced a new system to the flight controls – a system called Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, MCAS, that is at the center of the investigation of the crash of Lion Air Flight 610 that plunged into the Java Sea, killing all 189 people on board.

Pilots flying the more than 200 MAX-8s now in service with airlines across the world have said that they were unaware that the MCAS had been installed and were never instructed in how to use it. That would have included the Lion Air pilots. They were also, therefore, unaware of the reasons why Boeing decided to add the MCAS system.

The problems that were revealed in the test flights arose from the adoption of new engines for the MAX series of the 737. They are larger, heavier and more powerful than on earlier models of the jet.

Fixing these engines to the 737’s wings put Boeing’s engineers up against some unique and challenging problems caused by the age of the jet’s basic design, originating in the mid-1960s.

The 737 sits lower to the ground than other Boeing jets. This is because its designers wanted baggage and cargo to be hand-loaded from the tarmac without mechanical assistance, since the airplane was intended to bring jet service for the first time to many small airports not then equipped for that purpose.

This innovation swiftly became pointless as airports became better equipped and, more vitally, the 737 became the best-selling single-aisle jet in history and Boeing’s most enduring cash cow.

RELATED IN TRAVEL
Members of a rescue team prepare to search for survivors from the Lion Air flight JT 610, which crashed into the sea, at Jakarta seaport on October 29, 2018. The Indonesian Lion Air plane carrying 188 passengers and crew crashed into the sea on October 29, officials said, moments after it had asked to be allowed to return to Jakarta.

However, the 737’s shorter ground clearance, just 17 inches, became problematic as jet engines grew larger. This could have been countered by a new fuselage and normal length landing gear. But although Boeing introduced new wings, tail surfaces and many other upgrades the fuselage and landing gear remained fundamentally unchanged over decades.

A final crunch moment came with the MAX series. The performance of the 737 was greatly enhanced by the new engines, jointly made by General Electric and the French company Safran, providing a new sweet spot for airlines who wanted the improved economies of a small jet that could fly longer routes, often over oceans.

But those virtues were possible only with an increase in the size of the engines. The size of the MAX engines, specifically the diameter of the huge fan blades at the front, is nearly 70 inches, compared to 61 inches on the older engines, and they weigh 849 pounds more.

In order to attach the new engines and still get a safe distance between them and the ground Boeing lengthened the nose wheel by 9.5 inches and, crucially, had to move the engines, inside their bulging nacelles, further forward from the wing.

It now appears that the changes in the 737’s low-speed handling characteristics resulted from this shift in the weight of the engines, as well as the effects of their increased power. ...

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 12:33pm

SouthWest Airlines is fitting a fix to Boeing 737 max aircraft.

The question is why Boeing isn't fitting the same fix to all 737s? That answer is that evidently, Boeing's lawyers told them not to because its an admission of culpability.

How many people have to die before Boeing acts with decency.

[url]https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2018/11/30/southwest-fits-all-its-boeing-737-max-planes-with-new-safety-device-to-avoid-a-repeat-of-the-lion-air-crash-that-killed-189-people/23605533/[url]

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 3:19pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 12:13am:

If you're flying to San Francisco be sure to wear a flower in your hair ...

Because if it's a Boeing 737 you might never be seen again.

Faulty airspeed indicator being fingered in the Indonesian plane crash.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/11/05/lion-air-crash-plane-had-ai...

Shifting the COG, eh?

"Flaps 15... airspeed 160... right in the aisle, Captain..."

"Then why is the nose going down?"

"I don't know.... new engines?"

"Flaps 25 and give me some elevator..."

"We'll lose sight of the airstrip..."

Pull..up.. pull up.... pull.....UP......

"We're going around...."

Nose heavy shouldn't create a stall unless speed overall is too low or engine weight increase is extreme and/or calculations of lift @ speed are wrong and/or corrections are incorrect due to lack of knowledge ... nose light is more likely to generate stall.......

No trans-Pacific flights in 737s..... 767 or bigger....
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2018 at 3:27pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 7:10pm

cods wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 9:31am:
4 times it was reported that plane should not have been in the air....simple as that.....it was only 6 weeks old.. Angry Angry Angry

Yes there is a difference between an accident and criminal negligence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print