Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Paying for what you don't use (Read 3237 times)
Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Paying for what you don't use
Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:33pm

Why should you pay for something you don't use?

Some specifics that might be infringing on your right to pay for only what you use .....

Do you use only a portion of your internet quota, but pay for the whole quota?

Do you claim back the portion of your Greenslip you don't use if you sell your motor vehicle if it still has rego on it?

Are you comfortable paying rent on poles and wires if you don't use any power for three months because you weren't at home?

Are you comfortable paying landline phone line rent/access fee even if you didn't make any phone calls for the month?

Do you hope that one day things will change so that you only have to pay for what you use?  - It's every person's right

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Paying for what you don't use
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:20pm

Not possible, infrastructure costs a lot to build small users essentially subsidise big users but to have things at all for anyone to use we all pay for that infrastructure at unequal rates. Big users essentially pay less per unit.

The trick is either get your monies worth or stop using the convenience of the service or facilities.

User pays never and can't really 100℅ work, at least where any large Servi or infrastructure is involved.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 11:29pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:20pm:
Not possible
, infrastructure costs a lot to build small users essentially subsidise big users but to have things at all for anyone to use we all pay for that infrastructure at unequal rates. Big users essentially pay less per unit.

The trick is either get your monies worth or stop using the convenience of the service or facilities.

User pays never and can't really 100℅ work, at least where any large Servi or infrastructure is involved.

What's not possible?

Do you mean it's not possible for the consumer to pay for only what they use? I contend it's very possible if we all demanded that we stop paying for what we don't use - it's a basic right

Your assertion that we stop using the conveniences is silly because we can't go back to horse and cart days nor send messages by coooeeing across the hilltops

Why is the Govt laying down the NBN? It's because they think everyone needs the "convenience" of the internet

State Govts' think we need the "convenience" of compulsory Greenslips

How do you stop using Greenslips? I don't get my money's worth from Greenslips because I've never made a claim and never likely to. Many thousands of dollars gone down the drain, I'll received nothing. We should get refunds, or partial refunds

We really do need to think differently to politicians and corporations, we're wasting a lot of money, money that is rightfully ours

So ... whose side are you on?

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 2:17pm

This example is about parents being unhappy paying for childcare they don't receive - charged for public holidays when the doors are closed

Why pay for childcare you don't use, like on public holidays?

It’s a pet peeve of many parents with children in day care —getting slugged on public holidays when childcare centres shut their doors. So what’s really going on and is the practice fair?

https://www.mamamia.com.au/childcare-public-holidays/

Why do we continue to pay for services we don't use?

The Royal Commission into banks just exposed fees for services that customers knew nothing about, etc. So hopefully that's been rectified now

We need to move on to other businesses and clamp down on them to afford customers their basic right of paying for only what they use

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 4:38pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:33pm:

Some specifics that might be infringing on your right to pay for only what you use .....

Do you claim back the portion of your Greenslip you don't use if you sell your motor vehicle if it still has rego on it?

Are you comfortable paying rent on poles and wires if you don't use any power for three months because you weren't at home?

Are you comfortable paying landline phone line rent/access fee even if you didn't make any phone calls for the month?

Do you hope that one day things will change so that you only have to pay for what you use?  - It's every person's right

It's not a right
You enter into a contract with the supplier. If you don't like the terms of the contract then don't sign it.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 6:28pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 2nd, 2020 at 4:38pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:33pm:

It's not a right
You enter into a contract with the supplier. If you don't like the terms of the contract then don't sign it.

Who's side are you on, aren't you a lefty champion for the working class? They need every penny they can get

Contracts should be such that we only have to pay for what we use - not what we use plus what we don't use

We are allowing ourselves to be ripped off

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 7:47pm

buy a block of land and leave it empty and you still pay for garbage and water and sewerage even if there is no crapper on the block and no bin to go out

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 7:56pm

Or no tap on the block. Yup.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 8:08pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 2nd, 2020 at 7:47pm:
buy a block of land and leave it empty and you still pay for garbage and water and sewerage even if there is no crapper on the block and no bin to go out

Rates are charged for by the value of the LAND, not what you have on it.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 8:14pm

Neferti wrote on Oct 2nd, 2020 at 8:08pm:

Rates are charged for by the value of the LAND, not what you have on it.

Haven't you got someone to Dox? The adults are talking here. Go away.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 11:15pm

This is what I mean, we shouldn't be charged for what we don't use

If there's no loo, and no garbage bin to be emptied, there should be no fees charged for them

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 3:26pm

Good luck arguing that one!

I paid water rates before I had a tap put on. I was within whatever number of metres of the water main pipe so I had to pay. I have no toilet yet I pay for sewerage. I pay council rates yet the council refused to cut down a couple of trees in the road reserve in front of my block. Forget to pay—stiff penalties!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 4:04pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Oct 3rd, 2020 at 3:26pm:
Good luck arguing that one!

I paid water rates before I had a tap put on. I was within whatever number of metres of the water main pipe so I had to pay. I have no toilet yet I pay for sewerage. I pay council rates yet the council refused to cut down a couple of trees in the road reserve in front of my block. Forget to pay—stiff penalties!

Did you complain to your Council?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 8:37pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 2nd, 2020 at 11:15pm:
If there's no loo, and no garbage bin to be emptied, there should be no fees charged for them

what 'should' happen, and reality are two very different worlds. I have friends who've argued this point with council for years ...in the end, you have no choice but to pay

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Oct 4th, 2020 at 10:45am

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 2nd, 2020 at 6:28pm:
Who's side are you on, aren't you a lefty champion for the working class? They need every penny they can get

I'm a realist.
Having a "pay only what you use" system dramatically increases administration costs.

If you make garbage pay as you go that will only encourage people to dump it illegally.
As for sewerage, if that is to be pay as you go how far would you take that? Charge per person in a household? ( I live by myself, why should I pay the same as a household with 6 people) perhaps take it to it's logical conclusion and charge per bowl movement. (good luck with the administration of that) 

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print