Send Topic Print
The Moon (Read 4758 times)
Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The Moon
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:03pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 7:45pm:
I asked one about the stars you see observing from northern ad Southern hemispheres and showed  imagess, the cognitive dissonance was palpable.

Then asked why you miss the bottom portion of a tall large object in the distance. The explanation was messed up to say the East.

Yeah, he tried to tell me the reason when you looked at a ship on the horizon and it seemed to be going below the horizon there was a gap where the ship and sea met as an answer to why ships disappear over the horizon.

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:09pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:00pm:
64 genders? Keep up bloke that is so 2012. We literally have hundreds now.

Does it work like binary SHL(shift lefts)? Every time they shift one bit left it doubles? 64/128/256/512?

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:12pm

Here is the best flat Earth answer I have heard when asked why people conspire to promote a spherical Earth, the answer is so NASA can continue selling millions of globes each year to schools and libraries etc and make billions of dollars from their scam.

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:15pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:12pm:
Here is the best flat Earth answer I have heard when asked why people conspire to promote a spherical Earth, the answer is so NASA can continue selling millions of globes each year to schools and libraries etc and make billions of dollars from their scam.

Well that makes sense... except I've never had a NASA globe. Perhaps they get royalties from every globe made.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:17pm

I don't think NASA sell globes which makes it all the more hilarious.

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:29pm

If any of you are interested in why I made the SHL comment above it's always been a fast way to multiply in Assembler, many times it's faster than using MUL(multiply) and you use it with ADD or SUB to get the result you want with less processor cycles. SHR divides by half.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:44pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:29pm:
If any of you are interested in why I made the SHL comment above it's always been a fast way to multiply in Assembler, many times it's faster than using MUL(multiply) and you use it with ADD or SUB to get the result you want with less processor cycles. SHR divides by half.

When is it useful to go up or down in such big specific chunks.

Also do you mean assembly language?

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:06pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:44pm:

Yes.

You can go up or down in big chunks then apply ADD/SUB etc which altogether are less expensive than a multiply. MUL is an expensive operation in assembler. DIV is the same, you can SHR. Maybe processors have overcome that these days with microcode to do it for you but to SHL or SHR is one cycle no matter how far you shift.

I was expecting some political comment on the shift left or right to be honest. I guess not all bait is taken.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:12pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:15pm:

Well that makes sense... except I've never had a NASA globe. Perhaps they get royalties from every globe made.

They'd get royalties from the images used on the globes.

IBI

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:13pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:12pm:

We had globes before NASA was a thing.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:24pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:06pm:

Yes.

You can go up or down in big chunks then apply ADD/SUB etc which altogether are less expensive than a multiply. MUL is an expensive operation in assembler. DIV is the same, you can SHR. Maybe processors have overcome that these days with microcode to do it for you but to SHL or SHR is one cycle no matter how far you shift.

I was expecting some political comment on the shift left or right to be honest. I guess not all bait is taken.

I've started playing with arduino for hobby, I'm guessing assembly language is the next level.

Know any links how to get started using assembly language, I'm new to it all.

Learning python but a programmer told should have learned some more useful like C++ or html. So now thinking of starting again.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #26 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:28pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:13pm:
Gordon wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:12pm:

We had globes before NASA was a thing.

How did they have NASA tm images on them BEFORE NASA was a thing? Are you suggestion the moon is fake and time travel is possible?

IBI

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:51pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:06pm:

Yes.

I've started playing with arduino for hobby, I'm guessing assembly language is the next level.

Know any links how to get started using assembly language, I'm new to it all.

Learning python but a programmer told should have learned some more useful like C++ or html. So now thinking of starting again.

Depends what you want to do. Languages are written for a reason, they make it easier to talk to/make the processor do what you want. For all intents and purposes a C(??) compiler should do the optimisations for you. All languages have their pros/cons. Learning any language will help you with others. Decide what you want to do, pick the thing that will suit it best, do you want it to integrate with HTML? Stand alone? Have it type checked? Learning assembler these days is probably not worth the effort. My programming days were last century/early this one. One of the reasons assembler was important to me because my hobby was cracking things and I had to read the disassembled code to do that.

How about this, QEMM, a DOS days memory manager encrypted it's registration info so it could not be read in the files. I ran their files through the simplest of encryption/unencryption methods XOR and cracked it, I couldn't believe my luck. I can take photos of my old paper notebook to show. I used to crack games and software, especially BBS software back in the day. I was the first to crack the INJOY PPP dialer for OS/2. I have a book filled with shyte that is useless now beyond showing what I did.

Pick what suits best, does what you want the quickest with the least work. If it's to be deployed online make sure it's the most secure/safe.

Edit: BJ, the guy who wrote Injoy for OS/2 and I had a convo one night on the OS/2 IRC channel. I told him I would refrain from cracking his code if he gave me a copy, he told me "no-one will crack Injoy", two days later I released registrations codes for the level of registration "Friend of BJ".

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:58pm by Cu Chulainn »  

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:09pm

Interesting experiences.

My interests are learning a language to control stuff like motors outside the computer and talk to transducers and sample and store what the transducer is reading eg temperature probe etc.

I'm not interested in software or programming per se more reading stuff from the environment and controlling  things outside the computer .

I can buy tools to do it but want to learn how to do it myself.

I think the area is called feedba and control.

I'm not that smart but i am obsessive.

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:31pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 10:09pm:
Interesting experiences.

My interests are learning a language to control stuff like motors outside the computer and talk to transducers and sample and store what the transducer is reading eg temperature probe etc.

I'm not interested in software or programming per se more reading stuff from the environment and controlling  things outside the computer .

I can buy tools to do it but want to learn how to do it myself.

I think the area is called feedba and control.

I'm not that smart but i am obsessive.

Obsessive is good, obsession is drive. I'm not sure these days on what I would advise, too long out. If you want to post or pm more info I'll put a bit of thought into it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print