Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Australia's $17 Billion Dud Deal (Read 6501 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Australia's $17 Billion Dud Deal
Oct 27th, 2018 at 10:14am

Australia’s $17 billion ‘dud deal’   Sad

27th Oct 2018 Sunshine Coast Daily

AUSTRALIA has been locked into a "dud deal" by the US, which experts predict will put taxpayers billions of dollars out of pocket and leave the nation's security dangerously exposed.

The F-35 stealth fighter jet program is the most expensive defence project in global history.

The US project involves the manufacture and rollout of the super jets, which have been described as the "iPhone of fighter jets".

The fifth-generation aircraft were originally sold to major partner nations, including the UK, Italy, Canada and Denmark, on the strength of their "invisibility" or stealth.

The aircraft features concealed missiles and bombs and can fly at a top speed of 1900km/h.

Engineers claim the jets are able to avoid enemy detection, allowing allied pilots to get much closer to their targets before striking.

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter can fly at a top speed of 1900km/h.

The Australian Federal Government has committed to spending $17 billion on 72 jets due to be built in the US and delivered by 2035.

Ten of the jets have been built so far and are they sitting at the Luke Air Force Base in Arizona.

The first two will be delivered to Australia in December.

But as the nation awaits its cargo, our own jets are near the end of their service life and the F-35 program faces criticism over major delays and faults.

These delays have, in turn, blown the project's global budget out more than $163 billion, leaving Australia in a precarious financial situation.

So why has this defence project been described as a "dud deal" for Australia?

DELAYS   Sad

The F-35 program was officially launched in 2001 but it dates back to the 1990s.

It has, so far, failed to meet many of its development targets and continues to rack up additional costs with each problem it encounters.

The fighter jets cost a staggering $140 million each and have been plagued by computer system failures, software delays and breakdowns.

University of NSW defence technology expert Jai Galliott said the jets were fast becoming outdated due to the delays.   Sad

"By the time we have fully operational fleets of these aircraft, their skills will be significantly less than what might have been the case back when we signed the deal," Dr Galliott said.

While he acknowledged the F-35's stealth was "excellent", Dr Galliott said technological sacrifices were made to achieve that unnecessary feature in the process.

"The project is over-budget so there are concerns that corners have been cut in production to ensure it doesn't go too far over budget," he said.

Over the years, problems were identified in the lack of oxygen pilots received, tyres were ripped apart on impact and computer systems failed repeatedly.

The most recent failure involved a US F-35 stealth fighter crashing during a training exercise outside Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort in South Carolina last month.

The pilot was safely ejected from the aircraft but all F-35 jets, including Australia's small fleet, were grounded while an investigation was carried out, pushing out the deadline and cost even further.

The investigation concluded the crash was due to a faulty fuel tube, sparking further inspections.

An Australian Defence Department spokeswoman told news.com.au that "all of Australia's F-35A aircraft have now been inspected".

"Two were found to be fitted with suspect hydraulic fuel tubes which will be replaced," the spokeswoman said.

"All non-affected Australian aircraft have been cleared to fly."

The spokeswoman confirmed the safety inspections had no impact on the delivery of the first two jets to Australia on December 10.

Dr Galliott said that, while the US had been quick to cover up technical problems and tout the F-35's capabilities in combat, the weapons industry was rapidly moving away from pilot-operated battle planes.

"It will take such a long time to sort out all the problems and train people up that we could have built or purchased an unmanned combat aerial vehicle instead," Dr Galliott said.

One F-35A strike fighter will set you back around AUD $140 million

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Australia's $17 Billion Dud Deal
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 10:22am

THE COST   Sad

To put the sheer size of the F-35 fighter project into perspective, the program's budget blowout alone is the equivalent of three National Broadband Networks.

The F-35 budget blowout is 77 times more expensive than the massive new Royal Adelaide Hospital.   Sad 

It is the same as about 30 Cross River Rail projects.

A new runway, currently being constructed at the Brisbane Airport, would have to be built more than 125 times to even get close to the cost of the F-35 fighter program.

And remember, that is just the additional spend on top of the project's budget.

Considering each F-35 jet costs more than $140 million, this is one of the most expensive global weapons collaborations Australia has ever committed to.

So, why did we sign on that dotted line, when major infrastructure projects such as hospitals, trains and aeroplanes cost so little to build in comparison?

Dr Galliott said we did it to keep our mates in the US happy.

"This deal was a dud from the start," he said.   Sad

"I mean, how much should you have to pay to have your best buddy come and protect you?"

The Australian Defence Force declined to answer questions from news.com.au about the cost of the project and the impact it would have on the Australian taxpayer.

THE DEAL   Sad

Dr Galliott said Australia's commitment to the F-35 jet program was a strategic one, designed to appease our US allies.   Sad

"The Defence Force and the government were always in a tricky position with this deal, our hands were always tied," he said.

As a small developed nation, Australia can't afford to defend itself against an attack and, as such, needs to rely on its allies.

The largest and oldest ally we have is the US.

"In that sense, perhaps this was a wise decision, but every other part of me says this was a dud deal from the start," Dr Galliott said.

Recently, the US has been critical of Australia's economic ties with China, and this deal was a way for the government to strengthen relations.

"There was too much to lose between Australia and the US; it wouldn't have looked good for us to say no," he said.

And so, rather than put our American allies off-side, Australia sacrificed better, stronger, newer jets in favour of a geopolitical handshake.

"It was all strategic. This deal ensured we would get a strategic relationship and a half decent aeroplane," he said.

"But when you think about it, it's not the best bang for your buck   Sad

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 12:10pm

Belgium just announced they are to purchase F-35s.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2018 at 12:40pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 1:11pm

If the Chinese or Indonesians attacked us they would
destroy all of our F35s on the ground in the first hour of the war.

I bet the Chinese watch us every hour with satellites and know where everything is.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 2:45pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 1:11pm:

Now, that would be foolish of them attempting that, as our F-35s are presently stationed in the USA, Bobby.   Roll Eyes

I am unsure why you perceive Indonesia as a threat, Bobby.  They lack the ability to attack our mainland and they lack the ability to move effective forces here in any strength.  Sounds to be like you're trolling.  Roll Eyes

Quote:
I bet the Chinese watch us every hour with satellites and know where everything is.

I doubt it, Bobby.  I'd be more worried about the far more numerous Russian and American and French and British military recce satellites than the handful of Chinese ones...   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 5:04pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 2:45pm:
Bobby. wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 1:11pm:

Now, that would be foolish of them attempting that, as our F-35s are presently stationed in the USA, Bobby.   Roll Eyes

I am unsure why you perceive Indonesia as a threat, Bobby.  They lack the ability to attack our mainland and they lack the ability to move effective forces here in any strength.  Sounds to be like you're trolling.  Roll Eyes

Quote:

I doubt it, Bobby.  I'd be more worried about the far more numerous Russian and American and French and British military recce satellites than the handful of Chinese ones...   Roll Eyes

Brian - obviously I talking about if we had many squadrons of F-35s here in Australia.

Look at the 6 day war - Egyptian planes were destroyed on the ground.

Come to Bobby if you want the truth -
I feel like a degree qualified war historian compared to Brian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War

The operation was more successful than expected, catching the Egyptians by surprise and destroying virtually all of the Egyptian Air Force on the ground, with few Israeli losses. Only four unarmed Egyptian training flights were in the air when the strike began.[63] A total of 338 Egyptian aircraft were destroyed and 100 pilots were killed,[64] although the number of aircraft lost by the Egyptians is disputed.[65]

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 6:54pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 5:04pm:
Brian - obviously I talking about if we had many squadrons of F-35s here in Australia.

Really?

Quote:

They were caught unawares, Bobby.   Israel is less than 30 minutes flying time from Egypt.  The Egyptians were surprised by the Israelis.   Indonesia is over 3 hours flying time from the northern Australian coast, let alone where we have our aircraft stationed.  Who said we would be surprised by the time they reach our airbase at Tindal (the closest to Indonesia)?  You do realise that we have AEW aircraft, patrolling our northern borders?  We have JORN watching our northern approaches.   We have ground based radar as well, covering the approaches to Tindal.  You seem to be assuming that Indonesia is poised, with all of it's dozen fighter-bombers, just waiting for the chance to attack Australia.  I wonder why?  Could it because of your Islamophobia?  Mmmm?

Quote:

Why is that I can trip you up, everytime, Bobby?  Did you fail your exams?  Mmmm?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 7:04pm

The leftist would argue, no borders no need to protect borders.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 7:50pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 6:54pm:

Really?

Quote:

They were caught unawares, Bobby.   Israel is less than 30 minutes flying time from Egypt.  The Egyptians were surprised by the Israelis.   Indonesia is over 3 hours flying time from the northern Australian coast, let alone where we have our aircraft stationed.  Who said we would be surprised by the time they reach our airbase at Tindal (the closest to Indonesia)?  You do realise that we have AEW aircraft, patrolling our northern borders?  We have JORN watching our northern approaches.   We have ground based radar as well, covering the approaches to Tindal.  You seem to be assuming that Indonesia is poised, with all of it's dozen fighter-bombers, just waiting for the chance to attack Australia.  I wonder why?  Could it because of your Islamophobia?  Mmmm?

Quote:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Why is that I can trip you up, everytime, Bobby?  Did you fail your exams?  Mmmm?   Roll Eyes

Brian,
have a look here:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=...

There is nothing about bunkers to store the F-35s.

The next war will be fought with stealth aircraft -
JORN and radar won't save us from a surprise attack.
We must learn from the 6 day war -
if you don't learn from history you are condemned to repeat it.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 8:58pm

Bri g back the F1-11, brilliant air craft, still doing good service way past it's use by date.

Most beautiful plane I have ever seen.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 12:17am

Bobby. wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 7:50pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 6:54pm:

Really?

Quote:

Quote:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Brian,
There is nothing about bunkers to store the F-35s.

You don't store aircraft in bunkers, Bobby.  You store aircraft in dispersal shelters.  We have dispersal shelters already at Tindal for our F/A-18s.  They won't disappear when the F/A-18s disappear.

Quote:
The next war will be fought with stealth aircraft - JORN and radar won't save us from a surprise attack.

Indonesia cannot afford stealth aircraft, Bobby.  It can barely afford the aircraft it presently flies - only on Fridays, by a little old Imam.   Roll Eyes

JORN BTW is one of the few OTH radars that can detect stealth aircraft, Bobby.  I have watched planes landing in Singapore with JORN.  It is a magic system, completely unmatched by anything the Indonesians or the Chinese have.

Quote:
We must learn from the 6 day war - if you don't learn from history you are condemned to repeat it.

We have learnt from it.   We will not repeat the same mistakes the Egyptians made - we will not trust the Israelis - don't you worry about that!   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 6:31am

"dispersal shelters?"

Not good enough with today's weapons.
The planes need to be stored underground.

"JORN?"
That will be taken out first.

"We will not repeat the same mistakes the Egyptians made"

We are already repeating those same mistakes.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 1:27pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 6:31am:
"dispersal shelters?"

Your enemy must get within range first, Bobby.   Apart from Tindal, most air bases are on the East Coast.   Indonesia lacks aircraft with the range to reach the East Coast...

Quote:
"JORN?"

JORN will detect them when they take off from their bases in Indonesia and issue an alert to the RAAF, Bobby.   It can see as far as Singapore and beyond, on a good day.

Quote:

No, we are not.   Grow up, please, Bobby.  Your being embarrassing.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:27pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 1:27pm:
Bobby. wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 6:31am:
"dispersal shelters?"

Your enemy must get within range first, Bobby.   Apart from Tindal, most air bases are on the East Coast.   Indonesia lacks aircraft with the range to reach the East Coast...

Quote:
"JORN?"

JORN will detect them when they take off from their bases in Indonesia and issue an alert to the RAAF, Bobby.   It can see as far as Singapore and beyond, on a good day.

Quote:

No, we are not.   Grow up, please, Bobby.  Your being embarrassing.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Golden rule -
never underestimate your opponent -
we learnt that from Pearl Harbor.

What about the Chinese?
They are more capable that the Indonesians.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:37pm

Guys grow up, we don't have big wars now, we have unarmed human waves of asylum seekers walking across borders that replace us demographically and culturally by outbreeding us and we pay them to do so.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print