Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Tesla model 3 conking out (Read 42736 times)
Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tesla model 3 conking out
Oct 26th, 2018 at 1:33pm

Quote:
Tesla Model 3 Owners Are Complaining Their Cars Mysteriously Conked Out

With the Model 3 now coming off the Fremont assembly line in larger numbers (though not as large as predicted), it seems we have a recurring quality issue, if you want to call it that. Many Model 3 owners — who, for obvious reasons, are not longtime Model 3 owners — are taking to the internet to report a strange problem that leaves their car dead in the water and in need of a tow.

Just take a look at this thread on the Tesla Motors Club forum. Started on Tuesday by a Model 3 owner in Napa, California, the string of responses is eye-opening.

“Was backing out of our driveway and when I shifted from R to D warnings came up telling me to pull over, and not to drive,” the original poster writes. “I was on a steep hill pointed down, and the car just barely moved. It would not shift into N to allow me to freewheel it down to where I could be off to the side. The warnings then said that if I exited the vehicle, and locked it, then unlocked it and reentered it, that might clear it up. No such luck. It felt to me like it was locked into ReGen.”

Roadside assistance could not get the vehicle into the EV equivalent of running condition, so it was towed to a Tesla service center 50 miles distant.

An L.A. Model 3 owner immediately responds with a similar story. This poster took delivery of their vehicle on March 23rd:
I go to drive it this morning and I see a flashing message on my screen that alternates between ‘Rear motor disabled’, ‘Car may not start’, and ‘Car needs service’. The car wouldn’t start at all. It tells me that the problem may be fixed if I exit the vehicle and enter again, so I do that, but it does not fix the issue. I call Tesla and the lady on the phone has me reboot the car, but that also does not fix the issue.

While the owner claims the mystery glitch hasn’t caused him or her to fall out of love with the car, the comment prompted another response — this time from an Altadena, California owner:
It happened to me first night with the car as i was pulling into the garage and repositioning. Switched from reverse to drive and as soon as I pressed the accelerator the car put the motor in protection mode and behaved as the [original poster].
Doing the suggested steps as the OP and nothing. Two button, and two-button-brake reboots did not help, either Since the car was halfway in the garage and it was midnight, I figured I should put it in tow mode and push it in and deal with it in the morning. After I put it in tow mode, and on a “IT Crowd” “have you turned it off and on again?” whim, I decided to take it out of tow mode by stepping on the brake. The fault cleared and I was able to drive it around with no issues.

This poster was not able to replicate the warning messages after the car received an over-the-air firmware update (4.9), leading to the conclusion that a “bug” in the as-delivered firmware was/is the culprit.

On Wednesday morning, a Model 3 owner from northern Virginia posted the following:
This just happened to me this morning. Did all the same steps as OP and then Tesla sent out a flatbed. Currently at Service Center. I’ll update on what they tell me as well. I did read on another thread that it could be the 12v battery. I guess we’ll see. Also, I’m on firmware 2018.10.5

Later that morning, from an Orlando Model 3 owner:
Wow and I thought it was just me. This exact thing happened to me last week. Was driving on a local road going 25 mph and all of a sudden the car just stopped with the same messages, rear drive disabled and pull over. I tried the reboot, get out of the car and back in, etc. and nothing worked. Tesla came and towed it, gave me a loaner, and about a week later it was fixed. They replaced some fuse and the entire drive unit. Sure hope this isn’t a sign of more than just a couple bad drive units…

All of these owners took delivery of their vehicles within the last seven weeks or so. As some await a service center diagnosis, the forum posters then entered into a discussion of whether software or hardware was to blame, without a clear answer.

One owner called attention to a post from February 17th, where another owner reported the same vehicle behavior and related messages, followed by other strange quirks (like the car not “going to sleep” after being parked). As we’ve come to expect from online discussion boards, one Tesla fan chastised the owner, claiming legitimate discussion about vehicle problems might feed the “trolls.” (This didn’t go over well with many of the others.)

While the owner in this case initially suspected the car’s 12-volt battery, the actual cause was more extensive. “The drive unit DID in fact fail which they say caused the DC converter to malfunction,” the poster wrote following an update from Tesla Service. “The new drive unit arrived today and they will be replacing that and then testing the DC converter to see if it charges the 12V battery.”

The L.A. poster quoted earlier eventually learned the afflicted vehicle would need a new drive unit and fuse.
Late Wednesday, this post appeared on Reddit’s Tesla Motors page, describing an identical experience with a Model 3 just two weeks after delivery.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/04/awful-lot-tesla-model-3-owners-complai...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Tesla model 3 conking out
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 2:01pm

How many fossil fool cars pack up ? You see them conked out on the roads all of the time waiting for the RACV dude to come and fix them ? Get over it. This is nothing new for any car maker !

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 10:01pm

Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy
From April and u couldnt be bothered to see if it’s still happening or was just a once off or if it was fixed,,, good one u trying to replace Jules... will we be viruses next Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:16pm

Sounds like a friggin' Holden.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 8:07am

If a Holden had a problem would they be bothered to come and grab it and take it to a dealer and fix it for the customer........
If only other car manufacturers looked after thair clients like Tesla does Wink

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 5:45pm

Tesla is a pile of junk.

Even burns when it is dead in the junkyard.

The junkyard is the right place for Tesla gimmicky "cars".

Now wait for the trolls with the shrunken heads to appear from under the floor boards.

Tesla Found Burning in CA Junk Pile
LAUREN HERNANDEZ SEPTEMBER 8, 2018 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE 0  Tweet  Share

Alameda County fire officials say the Tesla was in the middle of a burning junk pile in San Leandro.
Alameda County Fire2 Residents in the area were ordered to shelter in place during the fire Friday. ALAMEDA COUNTY FIRE DEPARTMENT

Firefighters are investigating whether a Tesla vehicle found in the middle of a pile of burning debris caused a San Leandro metal yard to engulf in flames Friday afternoon.

Alameda County Fire Department officials ordered a temporary shelter-in-place in San Leandro after responding to a fire at around 4 p.m. at Alco Iron & Metal headquarters near Davis Street and Doolittle in San Leandro. They said the fire was under control just before 6 p.m. Friday.

Firefighters noticed the Tesla vehicle engulfed in flames in the middle debris pile, but said they are unsure if the vehicle caused the fire. The cause of the blaze was unknown.

No injuries were reported Friday evening.

Officials in a nearby Alameda County Fire Department first saw the black plume of smoke rising from the metal yard and responded to the scene, according to a fire department statement.

Alameda County Sheriff’s officials deployed its drone to provide firefighters an aerial view of the fire.

Photos posted to the fire department’s Twitter account showed black plumes of smoke rising from piles of metal debris.

Officials asked residents to shelter in place for more than an hour Friday in the areas of Adams Avenue on the north, Interstate 880 on the east, Williams Street on the south, and to the bay.

Twitter tweet of pile of junk Tesla's last dying gasps from the junkyard

Thanks to our partnership w/ the @acsosheriffs UAV (Drone) Team, here’s an aerial view of the 1-alarm fire at ALCO Metals in the area of Doolittle Dr. & Davis St. in #SanLeandro on Friday, 9/7. No reports of injuries. The cause of the fire is unknown.

Residents were advised to say indoors and close doors and windows until further notice.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

https://www.firehouse.com/prevention-investigation/news/21021494/ca-investigator...

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:00pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 2:01pm:
How many fossil fool cars pack up ? You see them conked out on the roads all of the time waiting for the RACV dude to come and fix them ? Get over it. This is nothing new for any car maker !

Tesla ranks 27th out of 29 for reliability, those who think Elon is some type of Messiah for the climate change religion should read the reports on Tesla reliability.

Tesla is really just expensive unreliable junk.

Quote:
Tesla slips several spots in Consumer Reports reliability ranking

Consumer Reports released its reliability rankings, which are based on more than a half million of its members reviewing their own vehicles.

Consumer Reports said the dependability of Tesla models has slipped in the last year as the automaker upgraded the hardware and software on its Model S vehicles.

Tesla said the suspension issues for the Model S have been cut by 65 percent since last year.

Consumer Reports, which ranks the reliability of vehicles based on owner reviews, says the dependability of Tesla models has slipped in the last year as the automaker upgraded the hardware and software on its Model S vehicles. The analysis of 29 auto brands ranks Tesla as No. 27, one of the lowest-rated brands in this year's report.

Fisher added that many Tesla owners reported a number of issues, especially with the vehicle's air suspension system.

Tesla said the suspension issues for the Model S have been cut by 65 percent since last year.
"The suspension issues that some Model S customers experienced primarily in 2017 were due to a supplier-related issue that did not pose any threat to vehicle safety or drivability, and presented itself only when the car was parked," the company said in a statement sent to CNBC. "The issue has already been addressed for customer vehicles in the field and resolved at the source with fundamental design improvements."
While the reliability of the Model S has slipped in the eyes of Consumer Reports, it says the Model 3 has "average" reliability.

By comparison, owners of foreign-brand vehicles reported fewer problems. Lexus, Toyota and Mazda were ranked as the most reliable.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/24/tesla-reliability-slips-to-third-worst-in-us-con...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 9:08pm

All the many design faults of the unsafe TESLAs will be front page when the new competitors Mercedes, Volkswagen, Jaguar, BMW etc move in with well designed thoroughly tested SAFE cars.

TESLA is DOOMED!!!!

Will one of the multi billion competitors simply buy TESLA out to get their technology which doesn't work very well ?

Or will they use the TESLA factory to learn what NOT TO DO ?

Massive quality problems with the Tesla Model 3 pile of junk:-  http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model3-quality-20180218-sto...

And what about the Tesla 3 BRICK problem:- https://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem

And the many flaws in the Tesla 3 including brakes that don't work:- https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2018/05/21/teslas-model-3-has...

And an unsafe Tesla 3 comes to a sudden stop

Would you risk your life in an unsafe Tesla gimmick "car" ?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 10:37pm

juliar wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 9:08pm:
All the many design faults of the unsafe TESLAs will be front page when the new competitors Mercedes, Volkswagen, Jaguar, BMW etc move in with well designed thoroughly tested SAFE cars.

TESLA is DOOMED!!!!

Will one of the multi billion competitors simply buy TESLA out to get their technology which doesn't work very well ?

Or will they use the TESLA factory to learn what NOT TO DO ?

Massive quality problems with the Tesla Model 3 pile of junk:-  http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model3-quality-20180218-sto...

And what about the Tesla 3 BRICK problem:- https://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem

And the many flaws in the Tesla 3 including brakes that don't work:- https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2018/05/21/teslas-model-3-has...

https://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/tesla-model-3-totaled-5-640x427-c.jpg
And an unsafe Tesla 3 comes to a sudden stop

Would you risk your life in an unsafe Tesla gimmick "car" ?

Apparently lots of people do socko with record numbers sold Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 4:22am

Like the Tesla pile of junk the village idiot troll VIRUS with the obvious low intelligence and poor education crawls out from under the floor boards and conks out. Which is the bigger pile of junk - the Tesla or the troll VIRUS ?

Now an unfortunate Tesla 3 owner says it is a pile of junk.

Edmunds Says Long-Term Tesla Model 3 Has Tons Of Issues
BY STEVEN LOVEDAY MAY 23 2018

Tesla 3 just as good at front end smashes as the other unsafe Teslas.

Edmunds released its April update related to its long-term Tesla Model 3 and it’s far from positive.

As many of you are probably aware, Edmunds has a Tesla Model 3 for the long haul. Essentially, the publication lives with the car over an extended period of time and provides valuable information for prospective buyers. Based on the slew of issues Edmunds is reporting, it appears that either they got stuck with a lemon, Model 3s lack consistency from vehicle to vehicle, or this is just a really problematic car.

We’re talking about intermittment screen and backup camera function, navigation bugs, failure to recognize keycard, audio system independently turning on and off and up to full volume, vanity mirrors falling off, and inability to shift the car into drive or reverse.

The crazy part is that this is just a small list of problems Edmunds has encountered. They’ve been driving the car less than four months and all of this happened in the last four weeks, resulting in two service visits, another visit scheduled, and a grand total of zero days out of service.

Edmunds even went so far as to say that they’ve started a shared Google Doc to keep track of the myriad of problems, warning messages, resets, and overall failures. The article says:

Forget that this is a “cutting-edge” EV with a cult following. That’s irrelevant if Tesla wants to be anything more than a footnote in automotive history. Our Model 3 cost us $56,000, and by that standard alone, the ownership experience so far has been unacceptable. But this is no ordinary $56K car. We put down a $1,000 deposit to get on a two-year waiting list for this car and it’s falling apart.

Early adopters who could spend six figures on a car such as the Model S might’ve given Tesla a bit of extra leeway. Maybe they figure it’s a small price to pay for such a technologically advanced car. Maybe it’s a sacrifice they’re willing to make to avoid using fossil fuels and get free access to the carpool lane. This far into its run, though, and with a car intended for mass appeal, Tesla should have the bugs worked out. It clearly doesn’t.

To put all of this in perspective, it’s important to note that Edmunds has driven the car a grand total of 5,257 miles. During the month of April, it put 1,120 miles on the Model 3.

Watch This – Teardown Expert Drives Tesla Model 3, No Longer Compares It To 90s Kia
Fortunately for Tesla, and for reservation holders, there is a hint of positivity in the review. This is especially true when it comes to performance and cargo space. Edmunds’ senior manager content strategy Josh Sadlier shared:

After my drive, a friend of mine asked me how the Model 3 compares to the current BMW 3 Series, and I told him I’d rather have the Tesla. He laughed. I wasn’t kidding.

Staff writer Travis Langness added:

I was recently transporting a large record collection, along with a few boxes of CDs, and the Model 3 was the car I had for the job. I was impressed by the Model 3’s storage ability relative to its size, with the space to fit four massive storage containers and several cases of CDs with space to spare.

Follow the link below for the full monthly report, including detailed descriptions of the plethora of issues, along with more quotes from different editors and test drivers pertaining to various aspects of the Model 3.

https://insideevs.com/edmunds-says-long-term-tesla-model-3-has-tons-of-issues/
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2018 at 4:38am by juliar »  

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:51am

Another car accident again socko ! What else is new socko ? Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:38pm

The village idiot troll VIRUS has a neurotic fixation on me, her HERO, because I aggravate her neurotic inferiority complex by repeatedly showing her to be nothing more than a dumb dill.

The penalty of mental inadequacy and poor education and low IQ. Should not have mucked up so much while at school.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 8:47pm

juliar wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:38pm:
The village idiot troll VIRUS has a neurotic fixation on me, her HERO, because I aggravate her neurotic inferiority complex by repeatedly showing her to be nothing more than a dumb dill.

The penalty of mental inadequacy and poor education and low IQ. Should not have mucked up so much while at school.

Then why don't you do us all a favour and f.ckoff and die so we won't have anyone to troll Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:58pm

The village idiot troll VIRUS is annoyed at being repeatedly shown to be nothing more than a dumb dill. This exacerbates her neurotic inferiority complex. And she certainly is an inferior individual.

It is fun psycho analyzing the neurotic confusion of such specimens.

Perhaps the specimen being analyzed should follow her own advice and stay away ?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 9:41pm

Socko copy and pastes his own posts from other threads Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 23
Send Topic Print