Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Christian atheist. (Read 5212 times)
Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Christian atheist.
Oct 23rd, 2018 at 6:24pm

No matter how hard I try I can't believe in a supernatural realm hence atheist.

Like the cohesion, comfort and security within a group that religion brings and gain inspiration from many stories of Jesus and the new testament hence Christian.

Make sense?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Christian atheist.
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 6:48pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 6:24pm:

Like the cohesion, comfort and security within a group that religion brings and gain inspiration from many stories of Jesus and the new testament hence Christian.

Make sense?

I said somewhere...

"We have no power, to choose God.

It is God who chooses us."

If you want God to 'choose you', try to communicate with him, in quiet moments.

Pray.

Proverbs 3:6
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Read scripture, every day, and God's spirit will begin to speak to your heart.

For myself, the most inspiring books of the Bible,
are The Book of Psalms [try Ps. 119], and The Book of Proverbs.

If we do not seek him, he will withdraw from us too.

1 Chronicles 28:9
And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

Psalms 119:2
Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.

James 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 7:55pm

I do read and enjoy proverbs and Psalms. I have read the rest of the Bible over and  over and it makes less sense the harder it try to make it make sense. Even had help from Bible groups.

I am sure if one read any book enough times you would program yourself to believe it but that's more like self brain washing than belief, unless the two things are the same?

I can't tell the difference between praying and positive affirmations in self hypnosis an I have done both.

The positive aspects of religion ie fellowship and community I think are important more than ever as shixt crumbles around us.

It's just all the dang magical, Voodoo,  other worldly alternate reality  stuff I can't get past.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:34pm

Make sense?

So you are Christian just for the socializing.

It's really nothing out of the ordinary.
Despite what some people would have you believe, every religious person has different values, different beliefs and different priorities. They distort the religion to suit their own world view.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:36pm

Make sense?

You can't be Atheist if you are Christian, since Christ is a "God".

You might be Christian but not religious. That's different.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:56pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:36pm:

Make sense?

Yeah but for Christianity to work Jesus was also  fully human in order to be tempted, he didn't come to earth born as a human baby to Mary to be as a God. He came to be as man...As far as I understand Christianity.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:44pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:56pm:
Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:36pm:

Make sense?

Yeah but for Christianity to work Jesus was also  fully human in order to be tempted, he didn't come to earth born as a human baby to Mary to be as a God. He came to be as man...As far as I understand Christianity.

Well I guess you cannot use the excuse "but you don't know what its like to be human" for all your sins LOL.

If we didn't have free choice on whether to believe or not we would be nothing more than lab rats..... Cry

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 6:49pm

Ajax wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:44pm:

Yeah but for Christianity to work Jesus was also  fully human in order to be tempted, he didn't come to earth born as a human baby to Mary to be as a God.

He came to be as man...As far as I understand Christianity.

Well I guess you cannot use the excuse "but you don't know what its like to be human" for all your sins LOL.

That is the point.

God came down in the form of a man, and suffered the hardships and the temptations of men.

He knows how weak men are.

He knows how powerless we are.

And God simply asks men too,       to acknowledge that weakness, and to say sorry, for all of our mistakes and for all of our poor choices in our life.

And to many men, that 'ask' is foolishness to them.

But God's forgiveness, through Christ, is offered to the wise children, not to the foolish children [those who count his offer of little worth].

Read the Gospels, Christ Jesus, spells it out, time and time again, and in his parables.

The wise children who repent [in their heart], are welcomed into the Kingdom, but not the foolish children.

The foolish children have no part in the Kingdom.

"For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away."

The parable of the tares and the wheat.      Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43

The trees 'which bringeth not forth good fruit'.

Matthew 3:10
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Matthew 7:19
Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

If we choose to join ourselves to the things of the world, then we are of this world, and we remain, 'foolish children'.

1 John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Romans 8:5
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16  The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15  And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16  And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18  And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Who is SATAN angry with ?

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Who is God pleased with ?

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

We who love God, don't have to be perfect,
we just don't have to be Karnal.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1435998745/1#1

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:04pm

Basically your saying anyone who can't in themselves hold a belief in the supernatural is a foolish child, bad fruit and wheat etc..

The only world I know for sure exists is this one. You want me to abandon All I know for sure to believe in another World for which there is no good reason to assume exists.

This is not a question of free will, if I could will myself to believe in the supernatural I would.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:05pm

Yadda wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 6:49pm:
Ajax wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:44pm:

Yeah but for Christianity to work Jesus was also  fully human in order to be tempted, he didn't come to earth born as a human baby to Mary to be as a God.

He came to be as man...As far as I understand Christianity.

That is the point.

God came down in the form of a man, and suffered the hardships and the temptations of men.

He knows how weak men are.

He knows how powerless we are.

And God simply asks men too,       to acknowledge that weakness, and to say sorry, for all of our mistakes and for all of our poor choices in our life.

And to many men, that 'ask' is foolishness to them.

That is the point, Yadda.

No need for the biblical quotes as they are out of context and serve no purpose here other than being a whip (not their original purpose).
The point is well made without them and without whipping those who have no ears - or those who might have.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:37pm

Term Dog wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:04pm:

Basically your saying anyone who can't in themselves hold a belief in the supernatural is a foolish child
, bad fruit and wheat etc..

The only world I know for sure exists is this one. You want me to abandon All I know for sure to believe in another World for which there is no good reason to assume exists.

This is not a question of free will, if I could will myself to believe in the supernatural I would.

No, Term_Dog.

The wise children, are those who have chosen, to separate themselves from what scripture terms 'iniquity'.

If we love God [whatever our perception of God is], and, if we avoid what scripture terms 'iniquity',
scripture says we are safe.

Psalms 73:1
Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.

Isaiah 55:6
Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

Jeremiah 9:23
Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
24  But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

Acts 10:34
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35  But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

And counterwise.....

Psalms 5:4
For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.
5  The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
6  Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

Psalms 28:3
Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts.
4  Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavours: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert.

Psalms 125:4
Do good, O LORD, unto those that be good, and to them that are upright in their hearts.
5  As for such as turn aside unto their crooked ways, the LORD shall lead them forth with the workers of iniquity: but peace shall be upon Israel.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 10:31pm

It starts with Abraham and it ends with Jonestown KoolAid. The messiah/Jesus myth is only part of it. As for justifying it all on the grounds of free will, my cat has free will, perhaps not with manipulative power of higher mammals, but that cat makes up its mind what its going to do.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:03pm

Hi Term Dog

Christianity can be a hard concept to accept.

God impregnates a woman with himself, so she can give birth to himself, just so he can save us from the sin he gave us.

That is far out thinking.

And he didn't die for our sins, he was back up and running in 3 days. He gave up his weekend for our sins. And doesn't he make sure you know it.

And now expects us to let him in so he can save us from what he is going to do us if we we don't let him in.

He's like an abusive spouse, "I love you but look what you made me do to you. I gave up my weekend for you and this is how you treat me?"

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 6:36am

Raven wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:03pm:
Hi Term Dog

God impregnates a woman with himself, so she can give birth to himself, just so he can save us from the sin he gave us.

And he didn't die for our sins, he was back up and running in 3 days. He gave up his weekend for our sins. And doesn't he make sure you know it.

And now expects us to let him in so he can save us from what he is going to do us if we we don't let him in.

He's like an abusive spouse, "I love you but look what you made me do to you. I gave up my weekend for you and this is how you treat me?"

It is such concepts that my mind rejects, I feel rejecting my own mind while I am in peak health is betraying myself.

Still I honestly feel there is something intrinsic in me (and others) that yearns for God.

My suspicion is that yearning has been exploited and corrupted by religious leaders.

I can only keep an open mind, would be a great help if the true God did something once every living generation to confirm its existence beyond doubt to everyone simultaneously. The free will to choose concept would actually be valid then. At present free will to choose is invalid and a false statement.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 10:54am

Raven wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:03pm:

Lets face it. The "virgin birth" was just a lie to cover up adultery that just got way out of hand

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print