Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38
Send Topic Print
Movies, recently seen (Read 48473 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Movies, recently seen
Reply #135 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 3:19pm

Kong vs Godzilla was probably the better of these last few titan movies. I do prefer Godzilla from nearly 7 years ago. Kong vs Godzilla was the movie that epitomises "popcorn flicks". Even last Thursday, I wish I bought some popcorn to chow upon as I watched this CGI fest.

I kind of forgot what the human element of the movie was about. Something about a hearing-impaired child making a rapport with Kong. Godzilla acting like a dick. Then the mechazoid Godzilla coming along to be the ultimate villain of the movie.

I did not waste $18 watching this movie. But I could have waited another month so that I could watch it for free online.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #136 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 8:05pm

Mortal Kombat

A decent popcorn flick for anyone who is a fan of the video game series. I cannot recall watching the 1990s version of this movie. But, this version is certainly epic. Though, there is a near overuse of visuals, the special effects are not overblown as much as "Captain Marvel".

An Australian production for many parts, in South Australia. There are a few Australians acting in roles throughout the movie. Jessica McNamee, David Field, Josh Lawson, Laura Brent, and Matilda Kimber make up the most conspicuous of the local talent. Angus Sampson and Nathan Jones holding other roles.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #137 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:25am

Rams with Sam Neil and Michael Caton and Miranda Richardson.  Set in the south west of Western Australia, near Mount Barker it tells the story of a family of two brothers and local vet.   The brothers haven't spoken for forty years and the vet is new in town.  They both raise prize winning Rams.  Anyway, one brother who loses this year notices the symptoms on the other brother ram of a sheep disease.  He reports it and the Department of Agriculture swoops on the valley, seizing everybody's sheep, which have to be destroyed.  The winning brother refuses to co-operate.  The losing brother evacuated his sheep and hid three ewes and his ram in his house.  Anyway, the Ag. Department seizes his other sheep but rather than allow them to destroy them, he shoots them all himself (and therefore hiding his hidden sheep from view).   It destroys the community.  A large bushfire threatens and the vet who's rather keen on the losing brother discovers his sheep.   The two brothers talk and the winning brother hides the other's sheep in his run down decrepit house.  They both end up fleeing into the hills with the sheep which survive.  The vet helps them escape as does the rest of the community.  The sheep survive as do the brothers.  Overall, rather a slow moving movie but worth watching IMO. :thumbsup:

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #138 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:45am

Worth a watch, good movie imo can get claustrophobic at times. I say lucky women were on board.

Stowaway

Toni Collette & Anna Kendrick

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #139 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:55am

Ajax wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:45am:
Worth a watch, good movie imo can get claustrophobic at times. I say lucky women were on board.

Stowaway

I watched that last night.

Really enjoyed it, despite the heavy subject matter.

I've always liked Kendrick.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #140 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 5:22pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:55am:
Ajax wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:45am:

Stowaway

I watched that last night.

Really enjoyed it, despite the heavy subject matter.

I've always liked Kendrick.

I usually gravitate towards Anna Kendrick movies. I even put up with the Pitch Perfect series just because she was in it.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #141 - May 16th, 2021 at 9:57pm

Spiral: From the Book of Saw

From the "Saw" series comes this latest sequel. This time, Chris Rock stars in the lead role as detective Ezekiel "Zeke" Banks. Detective Banks is the son of Chief Marcus Banks (played by Samuel L Jackson).

For this movie of the series, the story starts off seemingly different than the other movies. It does start off with the killing of a character, much in the same modus operandi as many of the other Jigsaw murders. But after the brutal killing of this victim, we are left to wonder why the action slows down to a crawl. But the investigations of the subway murder is what starts off the clues as to who the killer may be.

I spotted the killer very much right from the start. Though, I was left to wonder if there were going to be other people helping the main killer do his job, as the story does not seem to indicate that it could be a one-person serial killing. Much of the time seems to suggest more than one person. Thus, we can suggest that this series will live on for another movie.

I did not feel Chris Rock was well cast for the movie. However, being that he was the executive producer for the movie (along Leigh Whannell and James Wan, it was purely Rock's decision to star and to star as the main lead. It paid off in the end as Rock did produce a credible portrayal as a detective leading the investigation into the copycat killer.

I felt that the murders in this movie were probably more brutal than most of the movies. Having only watched the entire Jigsaw series last year, this movie felt more brutal than most of the series. However, you have to say that it takes until the second half of the movie before the pieces of the puzzle fall into place, and the context of the first half of the movie seem to fit.

If you are a fan of the Saw series, this movie should be a good watch for you. The ending seemed a bit predictable as to who was the killer. You just have to be on the look for who takes what does not belong to them. I did find the final kill to be fairly creative. Although, even for a movie, the creativity was so far-fetched that the scenes might have detracted away from the credibility of the series. Though, any fan would overlook this in favour of seeing this movie as a good popcorn flick.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #142 - May 17th, 2021 at 9:47am

The Last Vermeer

I managed to get a sneek preview of this movie.  Absolutely Fantastic!    Great story about a Canadian Army Captain who is tasked with identifying and returning works of art stolen by the nazies to their original owners.   Based on a true story.    Guy Pierce is one of the main performers and gives probably the best performance of his life to date.     I only viewed it as a MP4 file, but apparently when viewed as original 4K the picture is incredible

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8337320/

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #143 - May 17th, 2021 at 1:55pm

Toast - the story of Nigel Slater.  Nigel Slater is the UK's most loved food writer, presenter and journalist.  His mother died at an early age and his father, not knowing what to do with a pre-teen boy takes up with the cleaner he as hired, played by Helena Bonham Carter.  She is actually a surprising good cook and inspires Slater into becoming one.  A cooking competition results as each attempts to win the father's heart.   Slater hates her though, and tug of war eventuates.  Slater takes a job on Saturdays at a local pub where he encounters the owners son who is studying to come a ballet dancer.  When his father finds out he forbids him from continuing.  Slater's father suddenly dies and Slater runs away from his Step-Mother and ends up going to London to work as a Chef at the Savoy.  There he encounters the older, more mature self, played by the real Nigel Slater who gives him a job.  The final scene is the comment, "Nigel never saw his step-mother Mrs. Cook again..."  A good movie, well worth seeing.   You see the young Nigel develop his tastes as a cook and how his relationship with his father and his step-mother are "difficult".

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bertie
Gold Member

Reply #144 - May 17th, 2021 at 6:21pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:25am:
Rams with Sam Neil and Michael Caton and Miranda Richardson.  Set in the south west of Western Australia, near Mount Barker it tells the story of a family of two brothers and local vet.   The brothers haven't spoken for forty years and the vet is new in town.  They both raise prize winning Rams.  Anyway, one brother who loses this year notices the symptoms on the other brother ram of a sheep disease.  He reports it and the Department of Agriculture swoops on the valley, seizing everybody's sheep, which have to be destroyed.  The winning brother refuses to co-operate.  The losing brother evacuated his sheep and hid three ewes and his ram in his house.  Anyway, the Ag. Department seizes his other sheep but rather than allow them to destroy them, he shoots them all himself (and therefore hiding his hidden sheep from view).   It destroys the community.  A large bushfire threatens and the vet who's rather keen on the losing brother discovers his sheep.   The two brothers talk and the winning brother hides the other's sheep in his run down decrepit house.  They both end up fleeing into the hills with the sheep which survive.  The vet helps them escape as does the rest of the community.  The sheep survive as do the brothers.  Overall, rather a slow moving movie but worth watching IMO. :thumbsup:

A remake of an Icelandic movie.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #145 - May 22nd, 2021 at 2:11am

Those who wish me dead

I sat back with my popcorn and watched this movie online only about 2 hours ago. It was an interesting neo-Western action thriller. The story starts with the flashback scenes "Hannah" (played by Angelina Jolie) had of her role seeing 3 campers and a co-worker in the fire fighting job of Park County, Montana.

The scene cuts to two assassins making a house call, claiming to be working with the gas company, ready to assassinate a forensic accountant's boss. The forensic accountant finds out about the deaths. Assuming correctly that the deaths were homicide, he decides to go to get help with his relatives who work in the sheriff's department.

Forensic accountant, Owen, takes his son, Connor, with him to keep him safe. Unfortunately, the assassins have better tracking skills than a bloodhound, and more resources at their disposal than James Bond. It is not long before their surmise comes to fruition as they ambush Owen and Connor on their trip to Park County. The assassins show their brutality with whoever gets in their way.

The sheriff of the story gets involved when his survivalist wife (who happens to be pregnant) is held hostage by the assassins. Whilst she manages to evade the torture of the assassins, her sheriff husband gets caught up in the attack and is taken hostage. Meanwhile, Connor (who got away from the assassins) is found by Hannah. Hannah tries to shelter Connor for a night. But that night is interrupted by the assassins looking to see if there are any possibility of the boy hiding in the fire hut.

Much of the remainder of the film is predictable in its ending. There is little in terms of white-knuckle terror. The assassins seem more incompetent than any other assassins in the history of movies. And all protagonists seem to be well above any expected level of counter terrorist standards. They might as well have brought along their own body bags.

Do not pay money for this movie, if you are unwilling to feel insulted by the storyline. Only watch this movie if you are happy to be entertained by some action thrill ride. Rating: C+

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #146 - May 29th, 2021 at 12:15am

A Quiet Place part 2

This movie would have to be the more superior movie for the Quiet Place series. The movie starts off depicting an empty street. Then a truck arrives. Our protagonist, Lee (the father in the first movie) is shown getting out of the truck and going to buy a few things from the nearby store. The store owners are watching a news event of some supposed bombing.

Cut to a scene where Lee goes to catch up with the family at a baseball game. All seems fine and there are hundred of people in the area -- a real misdirect from the earlier street scene where there was no one around. All is well with the day. Then there is a cancellation of the game due to an incoming asteroid falling near the town. People gather up their gear and start to head back to their cars. It seems that it is only a matter of 5 minutes before the alien creatures attack.

That attack scene must be probably a decent 10 minutes. Somehow, we are lead to believe that this town was overwhelmed by fast moving creatures, perhaps several who have probably already killed the emergency fire and search rescue team that investigated the asteroid. The attack scene certainly gives the movie audience a further reminder to turn off their mobile phones. Lee and daughter, Regan, escape the attack. The scene then cuts to the ending of the first movie.

The characters for the movie are Lee (the father); Evelyn (Lee's widow); Regan (Lee and Evelyn's daughter); Marcus (Lee and Evelyn's son); and Emmett (the friend of the Abbott family). Evelyn's newborn baby also features prominently.

We are lead to believe that mother, Evelyn and Regan have managed to kill off the other two creatures, as the scene starts with the remainder of the family packing up their things to abandon their unliveable home. Regan has decided on a plan to head towards the last farm that lit their beacon of fire -- the fires that indicate that the others are still alive. Their plan is to share their knowledge of how to kill the creatures by revealing the creatures' weak spots.

Regan, Evelyn and her son, Marcus, meet up with Emmett. Emmett happens to be an old friend. Emmett was one of the town's survivors, seen at the earlier baseball game. Emmett is reluctant to have Evelyn and family stay with him, as he is short of supplies, even for himself. Regan is determined to find a way to safety and has set off to find help. Emmett is charged with the task of bringing back Regan safely.

The grand scale of this movie is helped by the fact that more of the town is shown. More of the countryside and a railway station is used to depict people in the initial stages of making an escape or unaware that aliens had been attacking. Unfortunately, the movie is a little let down by the idea that some of the people in this world are willing to go crazy to a point that they will attack other humans, rather than work to defeat the creatures. The only thing to come out of the scene featuring the jaded survivors was the finding of a new way to kill the creatures. Unfortunately, it took someone to be the bait to figure this out.

If I describe the rest of the movie, I may spoil the ending. But the ending of the movie was one of the more satisfying endings I have seen in a long time. Audiences would be satisfied that the movie keeps the feel of hope and hopelessness up to the viewer. The dread of the vulnerable losing their lives. The heroics of the main characters. The brutality of the creatures. It is all there and something to make this sequel one of the better sequels to see for a long time.

Rating: B+

I could not find the streaming of this movie online. I went to see the movie in the cinema. I was quite happy to pay $18 to see this movie. I have since found streaming of this movie online. I do have a good motivation to re-watch this movie online and possibly a third time after that. This is a good horror movie. Fans of the first movie will probably favour this sequel.

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2021 at 12:21am by UnSubRocky »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #147 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 11:51pm

THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT

Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga play the real-life characters Ed and Lorraine Warren. This horror movie continues the same formula as the first two Conjuring movies.

"A chilling story of terror, murder and unknown evil that shocked even experienced real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. One of the most sensational cases from their files, it starts with a fight for the soul of a young boy, then takes them beyond anything they'd ever seen before, to mark the first time in U.S. history that a murder suspect would claim demonic possession as a defense". -- Tiboriyo

The special effects come off much better than the first two movies. But the movie remains fairly preachy in its approach to the supernatural. I did have the feeling that the boy that was originally hosting the alleged demon was playing a role of an epileptic. And "Arne Johnson" -- the next person to be possessed -- seemed to show signs of schizophrenia. If that was the intention of the directors, they did a good job of making it seem that there was more to it than "demon possession".

Rating B-
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2021 at 2:06pm by UnSubRocky »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #148 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 12:42am

F9: The Fast Saga

Quote:
Cipher enlists the help of Jakob, Dom's younger brother to take revenge on Dom and his team.
-- imdb.com

Admittedly, I needed to rewatch most of the Fast and Furious series to get back up to date about what was going on. The movie starts up about a flashback scene at a race track in 1989. Some stockcar race where Dominic and Jakob Toretto's father is racing in some meet. The race comes to an end when Mr Toretto gets crashed into on the race track and the car explodes. The revenge attack by Dominic on the driver allegedly responsible a few days later means that Dominic gets sent to prison.

Personally, I got all caught up in not paying attention to the movie. The whole series has not got a hold of me and I am just about to give away $40 worth of DVDs (if I can even call it that worthy) from the previous series.

Some of the stunt work involved means that you have to suspend your disbelief throughout much of the action. Some of the actors and actresses do quite alright throughout the movie. Even glassy-eyed Charlize Theron has some memorable scenes. And Vin Diesel does have some quite impressive acting scenes. Unfortunately, Tyrese Gibson continues to try and sound like an annoying tag-along. And he has brought down Chris "Ludacris" Bridges with him. Those two are basically the comic relief. Although I have little to smile about with their antics. But the most annoying of characters has to be John Cena's character. Cena's personality just gave me the irritations to the point that I had to have a good bowel movement after the movie. It seemed like my subconscious was not going to let my body associate my mild constipation with someone else who is full of schitt. However, Cena seems to be a good addition to the Fast franchise.

I cannot be bothered with much else for this movie. Perhaps I am done watching another Fast movie.

Rating: C+
-- (helped by the genuine acting in parts and some suspenseful moments).

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #149 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 10:31pm

Cruella

This is probably the best origin story for a children's movie since the time "Saving Mr Banks" made its premiere in 2013. Interestingly enough, Emma Thompson had a role in both "Saving Mr Banks" and this origin story of "Cruella". "The Hundred and One Dalmatians" is a movie that I have never seen, nor wish to have seen throughout my childhood, teenaged years or adulthood. But, Cruella has certainly incited me enough to at least want to see the Disney movie. Either the cartoon version from 1961 or whatever that live-action movie that featured Glenn Close.

2021's "Cruella" speaks of a story about a young girl (Estella) who lives a rough upbringing with her mother. Because of Estella's hair showing two different colours, Estella gets teased throughout her childhood to a point where whatever retaliation she has for the bullies only gets punished by the headmaster of her school. It takes the intervention of Estella's mother to try and remove Estella from her cruel surroundings and start afresh in London.

Upon visiting an estate, Estella's mother tries to get support from a baroness in some kind of show of a subtle shakedown. The mischievous and inquisitive nature of Estella leads to some mayhem at the Baroness' party, in which a chase by the Baroness' dogs manage to lead Estella's mother to her death. Estella has to run away by herself and find her way to London. When Estella reaches London, in her grief, she forms some sort of relationship with two other homeless children (Jasper and Horace). Her thievery in pickpocketing and petty thefts of items leads Estella to develop her skills in making new outfits. It is her role as outfit maker that leads the desire for Estella to work in a fashion shop as a cleaner -- and not designing clothes as Estella had hoped.

Estella gets terminated from one fashion store after a drunken night designing a new outfit and sleeping in the display window with it. The expected arrival of the Baroness to the fashion store meant that the owner had to fire Estella at the time of the Baroness' arrival. The Baroness, finding out that Estella is unemployed, offers Estella a job to work for the Baroness. Over time, the Baroness shows what a complete narcissist she is with her role of head of London fashion. Estella acts as a type of secretary and designer with the most talent for the Baroness. The Baroness recognises the talent and work ethic of Estella.

One afternoon, Estella notices the necklace, that once belonged to her mother, being worn by the Baroness. It is then revealed to Estella that her mother (Catherine) tried to blackmail the Baroness in exchange for Catherine's silence (about something). More importantly, Estella realises that the reason for her mother's death was because the Baroness had called for her dalmatians to attack Catherine and force her over a cliff face near the estate. This leads Estella to begin her quest for revenge against the Baroness -- and the alter ego of "Cruella" begins.

Cruella, with the help of Jasper and Horace, makes upstaging appearances at the Baroness' fashion shows. Soon, Cruella is the talk of London with the mysterious appearances and fashion leading people to take more interest in Cruella than the Baroness. Mistakes by Jasper and Horace lead the Baroness to locate Estella back to her apartment, where the Baroness tries to get Estella killed in a fire and her friends set up for the murder. Only the intervention of one of the Baroness' employees saves Estella from death. The next day, Estella finds out her real heritage. With the help of a few others, Estella establishes a plan to not only get revenge on the Baroness, but have Estella's rightful heritage reclaimed.

----

Emma Stone plays a very good role as Estella Miller/Cruella de Vil. Although Estella's character is the counterbalance to Emma Thompson's Baroness von Hellman, Emma Stone's portrayal of her character seems like a very credible origin to the Cruella story in "101 Dalmatians". There was not a scene in the movie that did not flow from one scene to the next. And you did feel sorry for Estella. Although, at times, there was a bit of a see-saw effect as to who was the greater villain of the movie. Had it not been for the fact of the circumstances of Estella's mother dying, you would probably not "root" for either villain. A very well put together movie. And a movie that actually surprised me pleasantly.

Rating: B

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38
Send Topic Print