« Created by: Jasin on: Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:56pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fav Region to travel (Read 2804 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Fav Region to travel
Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:56pm

Just wondering what the most popular 'Region' people like Travelling around & to??

x8 regions (based on geo/cultural).

Can post as to 'why' its your favourite, beyond just voting in Poll

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Fav Region to travel
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:05pm

I'm home in a week and the first thing on my to do list is buying an off road motorbike. Will be sticking to Aus for a while with a quick trip to Usa.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:05pm:
I'm home in a week and the first thing on my to do list is buying an off road motorbike. Will be sticking to Aus for a while with a quick trip to Usa.

Cast ya vote Buckaroo Banzai!  Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:17pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm:

I'll mostly be either around Bondi or somewhere west of Dubbo.
Which region is that?

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:21pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:17pm:
Jasin wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm:

I'll mostly be either around Bondi or somewhere west of Dubbo.
Which region is that?

...Australia - which is in the 'region' of Sahul  Shocked

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:34pm

I really loved NZ.

So close but a little like a mini European Alps or Canadian Alpine region.(South Island especially.)

No long haul flights involved and the Aussie dollar goes far.  Smiley

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 8:22pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:34pm:
I really loved NZ.

So close but a little like a mini European Alps or Canadian Alpine region.(South Island especially.)

No long haul flights involved and the Aussie dollar goes far.  Smiley

Yes. It is looking more like 'Canada' in the South.
Sadly, the 'Pine Plantations' grow x4 times faster in NZ than anywhere else in the world. Hence the 'monetary' value of them. Of course, the 'natural-native' Flora is bulldozed away to make way for the Pines - a more 'sterile' environment, unlike the magnificent Beech Forests amongst others that provide a better home for species.
Nothing like walking in those ancient Gondwanaland forests.
Alas, the Pine 'sterility' is a poor substitution and provider other than for the Wood Industry (sold overseas).

Another part of the world that has its 'uniqueness' destroyed.

IP Logged

goosecat

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 12:04am

South Western Australia if I had to choose 1. In reality though, there are some simply stunning places around the globe and I'd follow my own Aussie biased preference with a number of places around the meditarranean (Cinque Terre) and parts of South America.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2019 at 12:16am by goosecat »  

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 4:19am

goosecat wrote on Mar 8th, 2019 at 12:04am:
South Western Australia if I had to choose 1. In reality though, there are some simply stunning places around the globe and I'd follow my own Aussie biased preference with a number of places around the meditarranean (Cinque Terre) and parts of South America.

Well do tell Goosecat

I presume SW-WA because of the beautiful wild-flower blooms that bring people from around the world, for starters? Where abouts exactly around the Mediterranean and Samerica?

((Poll has been opened))

IP Logged

goosecat

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 12:17pm

I think I'm drawn back to SW WA for temperature and climate reasons as much as anything. I vaguely remember a study from somewhere listing the most ideal latitude for average human comfort/temperature and weather was x latitude south or north of the equator (I can't recall what it was precisely/ might have been 33 degrees). From memory not that many actual towns/cities lined up on the exact latitude but Margaret River was pretty close just coincidentally. I struggle with excess humidity myself and likewise with excess cold so for mine the SW WA is ideal. I love the area around Pemberton/Walpole in particular. Magnificent forests, some of the largest trees in the world, yet just a short hop to some truly magnificent beaches and if you know the area well enough, some beautiful river/crossing/camping spots. It really is hard to beat.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 5:01pm

I know where you're coming from with climate. I much prefer the Temperate Zone (which is where I am on the east coast) and hate excessive heat more than excessive cold.
I think the Pommies dream of barmy aussie hot days of sunshine, but most Aussies dream of over-cast, rain and coolness like in England.

I hope SW-WA doesn't cover all that great region of environment over with sprawls and sprawls of suburbs upon suburbs.
Australia has a tendency to cover the best soil over with cement and block the best views with High Rises.

WA should have protected more of that area from development as its just 15% of the State, maybe less.

Anyway- what about Samerica and the Mediterranean?

IP Logged

goosecat

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 7:12pm

Mediterranean was all about Italy really for me. South of France was nice to but for some reason I fell in love with places like Riomaggiore, Vernazza. Probably the people as much as anything but the drive in and along this area is pretty spectacular as well. Had some awesome experiences with travelers and locals. Nights up on rooftops with locals who took a shine to us  stirring huge vats of boiling something or other we were making using a bloody boat oar for stirring the pot it was so big for the whole town and most of the locales out on the streets. I mean who does that anymore? Beautiful weather, food, wine, scenery, what more could you ask for.
South America is by virtue of stories relayed and photos shown only by so many I know who've been there. They go on about weather and value for money, coat of living etc. I know Lake Atitlan gets mentioned a lot. Once again it's all about climate and I think it's position and altitude combine for some kind of rare "perfection" apparently in this regard.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 7:41pm

Ahhh. Now that sounded really good.
I could believe being somewhere where people are stirring big pots with boat oars. The vast 'freedom' of it all and no WH&S saying 'Boat Oars are Dangerous!'. You seemed to have lived in the moment quite well. It's a nice feeling being somewhere else in its entirety and yes - people make a large portion of the experience.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print