IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Indonesia
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:29pm

Indonesian policewomen measured through 'purity and beauty', subjected to virginity testing

Women looking to become police officers in Indonesia are reported to have to undergo an invasive "two-finger" virginity test and be "pretty" as a part of the recruitment process.

Key points:
Virginity testing female police recruits continues despite pressure to end the practice
Policewomen must also be "pretty" and subjected to a list of physical standards
The policewomen are often deployed in high visibility roles such as public relations
Despite the tests not being recorded or on the books as an official requirement, it is still conducted throughout the country under the guise of a "morality or physical examination".

Andreas Harsono from the Human Rights Watch said Indonesian police believe that society will not accept a female police officer who has an active sex life or used to be a sex worker.

"The logic is that they only want good girls to be police officers," he said.

The test is conducted by inserting two fingers into the vagina to see if the woman's hymen is still intact — a method which has long been criticised as invasive while also not being able to accurately determine a woman's virginity either.

Indonesian woman Zakia — whose last name is not included to protect her identity — told Human Rights Watch in a complaint obtained by the ABC that she had failed her test when she applied to become a police officer earlier this year.

Zakia claimed the virginity test she was subjected to was not conducted by a medical doctor.

"They didn't just insert their fingers into my vagina, but also into my anus. They kept probing … it was extremely painful," she said.

"Every time I remember what happened, I cry … I feel like I don't want to live anymore."

Zakia was a martial arts athlete who said that over the years she has had to do many splits and other exercises which may have ripped her hymen.

"Once, I fell and my vagina hit a block of wood, but I don't know whether my hymen broke," she said.

"My mother told me not to worry about it … but I told [the police officers interviewing me] that I remember feeling great pain in my vagina due to the fall — after that, the interview was over," she said.

Zakia said she was intimidated by the officers to "come clean" and insisted she was a virgin — she did not get accepted to the second round of the selection process.

'We consider these cases of sexual violence'

Virginity testing is no longer officially allowed in Indonesia following international pressure from human rights groups over the years, but a study published this year by Sharyn Graham Davies from the Auckland University of Technology found vaginal and hymen examinations to still be a key part of police recruitment.

Anisha, a 27-year-old policewoman in Dr Davies' study, said she believes the testings should continue.

"The test shows that we as women can protect ourselves and therefore we are capable of protecting other people," she said.

Mr Harsono claims that the practice is also rife in the Indonesian military, where he said some 70 per cent of the medical staff who conduct the tests are male doctors.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:36pm

How much money does Australia give these gibbering rape monkeys?

IBI

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:34pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:36pm:

Far far too much.

we should stop the aid, stop allowing Australians to go there and spend money and let the whole island of them self implode.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:03am

Aid money goes primarily to the warlords and similar, who then use it to turn their ploughshares into swords to beat upon their people.... and by extension.... to beat upon the nations that provide them aid.

Somalia (as an example) would have been better left to itself... the warlords took the medical aid intended for sick children and used it for themselves and as a lever for power... same with food.... so all that aid ever did was produce a stronger warlord class..... who then expanded the same old problems... the same number died anyway......only the means were sometimes different.....

Let the filth nations fend for themselves.... they don't need our help to kill one another....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 6:52am

Gordon wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:27pm:

You're preaching to the converted..... no time for the lying, trigger happy, insecure little hypocrite bastids.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:23am

Valkie wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:34pm:

Far far too much.

we should stop the aid, stop allowing Australians to go there and spend money and let the whole island of them self implode.

Yes - end foreign aid immediately to Indonesia -
they are barbaric monkeys.

I don't want one penny of my tax money going to them.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:50am

Valkie wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:34pm:

Far far too much.

We do business with Indonesia. We trade with Indonesia. The money we spend in Indonesia from aid is generally for self-interest purposes.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:22am

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Another thread which is devoted to racism and Islamophobia.  I do wish people would grow up and stop posting how much they hate people who they have never met, who cannot do them any harm and who are generally nice, peaceable and law abiding people.  Tsk, tsk, such silliness, such foolishness.  Grow up children.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:51am

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:22am:
Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Another thread which is devoted to racism and Islamophobia.  I do wish people would grow up and stop posting how much they hate people who they have never met, who cannot do them any harm and who are generally nice, peaceable and law abiding people.  Tsk, tsk, such silliness, such foolishness.  Grow up children.   Roll Eyes

Gee, Paid Commentary WORKS, by gad !!!

After reading your post, I'm CONVERTED !!!

Lovely people the Indonesians.  I won't hear a word against them after reading your paid comment !!!

Take a BOW !  Collect your PAY !!  They should give you a BONUS !

thankyouthankyouthankyou

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:29pm

You surprised me, Brian. I thought cabbie hands would be the first to support this as its right up his ally  (no pun intended )

"They didn't just insert their fingers into my vagina, but also into my anus. They kept probing … it was extremely painful," she said.

IBI

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:22pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:29pm:

You surprised me, Brian. I thought cabbie hands would be the first to support this as its right up his ally  (no pun intended )

He has blinkers on mate.
He only believes what is written by the power players.
This is a government issue and brian speaks of the general pop.
The general pop get no benifit from our aid money....yet somehow this clown will support it and tell us we are islamophobes and racist..... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:27pm

PZ547 wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:51am:

Gee, Paid Commentary WORKS, by gad !!!

After reading your post, I'm CONVERTED !!!

Lovely people the Indonesians.  I won't hear a word against them after reading your paid comment !!!

Take a BOW !  Collect your PAY !!  They should give you a BONUS !

thankyouthankyouthankyou

Any time.  Now, if they are paying me, where is my money?  They could at least contribute towards my ISP's bill, don't you think?

In reality, I do this for free.  Islamophobia, like Racism, like all bigotry is based on ignorance and prejudice, nothing more.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:30pm

What's your opinion on being fingered as a test to join the Indonesian Police Force Brian?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:42pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:30pm:
What's your opinion on being fingered as a test to join the Indonesian Police Force Brian?

I reckon the story is bullshit.  One woman allegedly makes the claim and an ABC journalist makes column inches out of it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print