Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Julian Assange bites the hand that feeds him! (Read 359 times)
Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Julian Assange bites the hand that feeds him!
Oct 20th, 2018 at 1:49pm

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has filed a lawsuit in Ecuador against new terms of asylum in the Andean country's London embassy that require him to pay for medical bills and phone calls and clean up after his pet cat, his lawyer says.

Ecuador this month created the new protocol governing the Australian's stay at the embassy.

Lawyer Baltasar Garzon told a press conference in Ecuador's capital Quito that the rules were drawn up without consulting Mr Assange, who is now suing Foreign Minister Jose Valencia in a Quito court to have them changed.

Mr Assange has not had access to the internet since it was cut off in March, Mr Garzon added, despite a WikiLeaks statement this week that it had been restored.

"He has been held in inhuman conditions for more than six years," Mr Garzon said.

"Even people who are imprisoned have phone calls paid for by the state," he added, describing the obligations regarding the cat as "denigrating."

Mr Garzon said Mr Valencia was named in the lawsuit because he served as the intermediary between Mr Assange and the Ecuadorean Government.

Mr Valencia said the Government would respond "in an appropriate manner". "The protocol is in line with international standards and Ecuadorean law," he told reporters.

Mr Assange's stay has become an increasing annoyance for Ecuadorean President Lenin Moreno, who has said Mr Assange cannot stay inside the embassy for ever, but has been reluctant to kick him out of the embassy because of concerns about his human rights.

Mr Assange believes he will be handed over to the United States to face prosecution over WikiLeaks' publication of hundreds of thousands of classified military and diplomatic documents if he leaves.

In 2012, former Ecuadorean president Rafael Correa granted Mr Assange asylum as he sought to avoid extradition to Sweden for interrogation on alleged sexual assault crimes.

Sweden later dropped its investigation, but Britain says he will be arrested for violating the terms of his bail if he leaves the embassy.

In 2017 Ecuador gave Mr Assange citizenship and named him to a diplomatic post in Russia, but rescinded the latter after Britain refused to give him diplomatic immunity, according to an Ecuadorean Government document seen by Reuters.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-20/julian-assange-sues-ecuador-minister-for-...

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Julian Assange bites the hand that feeds him!
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 2:03pm

What a farce. I think he's lost the plot entirely. As in he's gone nuts - bonkers. If I am reading the story right, he's suing because he's been told to clean up after his cat and because Ecuador wants him to pay for his medical and phone bills. I don't know about anyone else, but I think they're entirely reasonable things to expect. He says that even prisoners get calls paid for by the state. The thing is, he isn't a prisoner. He's staying in the embassy as a guest (political asylum seeker) on a voluntary basis. No one is forcing him to stay - he certainly isn't a prisoner of the Ecuadorian government. So his "even prisoners get free calls" argument is null and void. Why shouldn't he be expected to pay for his medical bills? He isn't a member of the embassy, and even if he was, I'd assume staff are expected to cover their own medical bills. So there's that argument of his shot to pieces. As for his cat, well there's proof positive Assange's time inside the embassy has turned him into a loony raving nutjob. He's there as a guest and the staff have far more important things to do than clean up after his cat. I wouldn't bring my dog to a friends' house and expect them to pick up his droppings. Clearly, he thinks the embassy staff are his slaves/servants employed to serve his every whim. If I were the leader of Ecuador, I'd kick his ungrateful ass out onto the streets and say, "good riddance" to the freeloader!

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 2:06pm

He seems to be freeloading ratbag.

I hope they shove him out the front door of the embassy and lock the door behind him.  Cool

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 10:21pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 2:03pm:
What a farce. I think he's lost the plot entirely. As in he's gone nuts - bonkers. If I am reading the story right, he's suing because he's been told to clean up after his cat and because Ecuador wants him to pay for his medical and phone bills. I don't know about anyone else, but I think they're entirely reasonable things to expect. He says that even prisoners get calls paid for by the state. The thing is, he isn't a prisoner. He's staying in the embassy as a guest (political asylum seeker) on a voluntary basis. No one is forcing him to stay - he certainly isn't a prisoner of the Ecuadorian government. So his "even prisoners get free calls" argument is null and void. Why shouldn't he be expected to pay for his medical bills? He isn't a member of the embassy, and even if he was, I'd assume staff are expected to cover their own medical bills. So there's that argument of his shot to pieces. As for his cat, well there's proof positive Assange's time inside the embassy has turned him into a loony raving nutjob. He's there as a guest and the staff have far more important things to do than clean up after his cat. I wouldn't bring my dog to a friends' house and expect them to pick up his droppings. Clearly, he thinks the embassy staff are his slaves/servants employed to serve his every whim. If I were the leader of Ecuador, I'd kick his ungrateful ass out onto the streets and say, "good riddance" to the freeloader!

How's that Wentworth result Armpit,  you little ripper  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print