Send Topic Print
Coral study (Read 2013 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Coral study
Oct 17th, 2018 at 11:49am

Quote:
The ecological impacts of animal groups may be different and predictable depending on their collective behavior. Farmerfish (Stegastes nigricans) live in social groups and collectively defend gardens of palatable algae. These gardens also serve as settlement and nursery habitats for corals because farmerfish mob corallivores that attempt to forage on corals within these gardens. We detected large among-colony differences in farmerfish collective aggression towards intruder fish that persisted across years. We further found that the territories of aggressive groups and territories containing larger farmerfish provided greater protection to corals: territories of aggressive groups naturally harbored more branching corals than nonaggressive groups, and experimentally outplanted branching corals experienced 80% less skeletal loss and grew larger over 25 weeks in aggressive territories than in nonaggressive territories. These findings hint that factors that increase farmerfish group aggressiveness (e.g., higher temperatures) could enhance the protective value of farmerfish territories for the replenishment of coral populations.

https://academic.oup.com/beheco/advance-article/doi/10.1093/beheco/ary092/509692...

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Re: Coral study
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:38am

Coral study = Koch Brothers funded study. Good find, lee. As always.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:39am

"Heating up many corals even mildly can negatively impact a variety of physiological processes. However, this study shows that small increases could provide greater protection by resident fishes.
"Obviously this can't go on for forever, though. At some point, all the protection in the world won't matter anything if the corals can't feed themselves," Pruitt said.

Yes those small area's where the Farmer fish have their territory MIGHT be better off, how about the rest of the reef and as it says if it gets to hot wont  matter . Wink

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 1:37pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:39am:
Yes those small area's where the Farmer fish have their territory MIGHT be better off, how about the rest of the reef and as it says if it gets to hot wont  matter

Define hot. Is that "hot" in a global context or a local context. Remember that new SR15 report from the IPCC? They talk about global temperature and its impacts. Wink

IP Logged

Pedro Curevo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nth Coast NSW
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 5:37am

Ocean acidification  will insure coral is bleached...farmer fish cannot farm on dead coral.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:21am

lee wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 1:37pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:39am:
Yes those small area's where the Farmer fish have their territory MIGHT be better off, how about the rest of the reef and as it says if it gets to hot wont  matter

Define hot. Is that "hot" in a global context or a local context. Remember that new SR15 report from the IPCC? They talk about global temperature and its impacts. Wink

ohhh u forgot the bit I was refering too Lee... I know u never want anything out of contex by only quoting 1 line
"Heating up many corals even mildly can negatively impact a variety of physiological processes. However, this study shows that small increases could provide greater protection by resident fishes.
"Obviously this can't go on for forever, though. At some point, all the protection in the world won't matter anything if the corals can't feed themselves," Pruitt said.

I guess u will have to ask the the guys that made the report what is hot Lee as its a quote from the article u posted Smiley

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:48pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:21am:
I guess u will have to ask the the guys that made the report what is hot Lee as its a quote from the article u posted

Nope. I don't.

They don't even speculate at what temperature this threat to corals will occur. Wink

So is it temperatures during El Nino when they are higher due to water levels moving to the east when the trade winds stop blowing? Temperatures generally?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:52am

don't know its your article Lee not mine ?
Wink

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 3:00pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:52am:
don't know its your article Lee not mine ?
Wink

It's not mine. it is on the web. You can find the authors if you wish. Wink

Or do you mean the temperatures? If it is not in the paper, how am I supposed to intuit them?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:35am

not like u to post threads where u don't really know what they r about … but they sort of support what u think and sound good  Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 3:52pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 5:35am:
not like u to post threads where u don't really know what they r about … but they sort of support what u think and sound good

I know what they are about. I just don't know the metrics. Being so smart perhaps you can find them? Wink

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 7:27am

From the article:

Quote:
Thus, as the world’s oceans warm, the behavioral tendencies of many marine ectotherms are speculated to shift towards more aggressive phenotypes, at least over some temperature ranges. As documented here, such shifts could increase the defensive efficacy of residential fishes, which could offset some of the costs of reduced photosynthetic performance: a large increase in the aggressiveness of farmerfish could reduce corallivory by 50–80%

In simple terms: when the ocean gets a bit warmer, corals starve, but fewer fish are allowed eat them, which might make it easier for some coral to recover from a season of starvation.

lee wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 1:37pm:

Ocean temparatures have already increased enough to cause massive starvation events on the Great Barrier Reef, which should qualify as "too hot". Ocean temperatures are forecast to increase to "far too hot", but we still have a chance to avoid "the whole thing's dead".

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:33am

Robot wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 7:27am:
Ocean temparatures have already increased enough to cause massive starvation events on the Great Barrier Reef, which should qualify as "too hot".

Was that due to El Nino and water levels dropping or some other cause? At what temperature is the water "too hot"? "Too hot" has no meaning in science. Wink

Even the "Climate Scientists" use graphs of Zetajoules, because the numbers are so large, for global ocean temperature. The data is actually recorded in ºC and converted. 100,000's of Zetajoules equals a few hundredths of a degree (depends on the size of the oceanic water basins. Don't forget to include areas like the Marianas Trench. And of course their is limited oceanic temperature recording in the Southern Hemisphere.

Ocean temperatures are forecast to increase to "far too hot", but we still have a chance to avoid "the whole thing's dead".

On which forecast are they based? Computer models? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Corals have been around for about 500K years. In that time it has been both warmer and cooler. Can you define a Goldilocks temperature?

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:45am

Marla wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:38am:
Coral study = Koch Brothers funded study. Good find, lee. As always.

Well done Marla. Another drive by shooting. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, eh?

Published in a peer-reviewed magazine by Oxford Academic.

But you probably have never heard of Oxford. Never mind dear.

Of course if you can actually find a reference to the study being funded by Koch, it might improve your credibility. Actually it must, because currently you have none. Wink

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:49pm

lee wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:33am:
Ocean temparatures have already increased enough to cause massive starvation events on the Great Barrier Reef, which should qualify as "too hot".

Was that due to El Nino and water levels dropping or some other cause? At what temperature is the water "too hot"? "Too hot" has no meaning in science. Wink

Even the "Climate Scientists" use graphs of Zetajoules, because the numbers are so large, for global ocean temperature. The data is actually recorded in ºC and converted. 100,000's of Zetajoules equals a few hundredths of a degree (depends on the size of the oceanic water basins. Don't forget to include areas like the Marianas Trench. And of course their is limited oceanic temperature recording in the Southern Hemisphere.

Ocean temperatures are forecast to increase to "far too hot", but we still have a chance to avoid "the whole thing's dead".

On which forecast are they based? Computer models? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Corals have been around for about 500K years. In that time it has been both warmer and cooler. Can you define a Goldilocks temperature? [/quote]

The Goldilocks range is between "too hot" and "too cold", also known as "just right".

Goldilocks can't live just anywhere on the planet; she can only live in particular climates. When climate change happens gradually, Goldilocks can move to a different home, following the climate that's "just right". If the climate changes suddenly then Goldilocks doesn't have time to move; the bears will maul her and eat her.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:18pm

Robot wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:49pm:
If the climate changes suddenly then Goldilocks doesn't have time to move; the bears will maul her and eat her.

Can you define "suddenly" in geologic terms?

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #16 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:46pm

lee wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:18pm:
Robot wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:49pm:
If the climate changes suddenly then Goldilocks doesn't have time to move; the bears will maul her and eat her.

Can you define "suddenly" in geologic terms?

"Suddenly" means "happening very quickly, like whoa" in terms of geological time scales.

To pre-empt your next question, "the bears will maul her and eat her" means the same thing to geologists as it does to everyone else.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:07pm

Robot wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:46pm:
"Suddenly" means "happening very quickly, like whoa" in terms of geological time scales.

Like 200 years?

You don't seem to know much for the opinions" you are offering. Wink

To pre-empt your next question, "the bears will maul her and eat her" means the same thing to geologists as it does to everyone else.

Really? Do you have a link for that? Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #18 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:33pm

lee wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:07pm:

Like 200 years?

No no--say it in "geologic terms".

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:55pm

Robot wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:33pm:

Ok. it is highly that as there have been, according to paleo data, relatively fast switches in climate, as during the MWP, that climate can vary in the short term over the course of hundreds of years.

As there are only modern temperature records from thermometers, and sparse at that, it is too short a time frame to rule out natural variability, as occurred in the past.

Of course feel free to offer any rebuttal. Wink

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #20 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:04pm

lee wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:55pm:
Robot wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:33pm:

Ok. it is highly that as there have been, according to paleo data, relatively fast switches in climate, as during the MWP, that climate can vary in the short term over the course of hundreds of years.

As there are only modern temperature records from thermometers, and sparse at that, it is too short a time frame to rule out natural variability, as occurred in the past.

Of course feel free to offer any rebuttal. Wink

I asked you to say "Like 200 years" in "geologic terms" (your phrase, not mine).

Hard to see how you could reasonably interpret that as an invitation to copy-paste some nutjob blogger's pseudoscientific talking point about temperature records.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 11:33am

Robot wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:04pm:
Hard to see how you could reasonably interpret that as an invitation to copy-paste some nutjob blogger's pseudoscientific talking point about temperature records.

Deary me petal.

Did you see attribution? No? Because it is my own work, gleaned from peer-reviewed papers.

You should try it sometime.

However I notice you refused to take up the challenge to refute what I said.

Game over.

Goodbye.

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #22 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 11:50am

lee wrote on Oct 24th, 2018 at 11:33am:
Did you see attribution? No? Because it is my own work, gleaned from peer-reviewed papers.

My apologies--I didn't realise you had your own nutjob pseudoscientific talking points about temperature records.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print