From the place with the dodgy trucks?

Wokka Wokka Wokka

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: I got the sac today
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:47pm

Yes they have dodgy trucks, but that may have been my last job.

This place wanted to have a safety person on their books, but did not want to do safety.
Plus the boss was a narcissist, you had to suck up to him and never disagree.
My job involved telling him when he was getting it wrong, he did not tolerate that.

So we had a bad accident and I wrote the report,,, warts and all.
So I had to go.

IP Logged

Ye Grappler
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Mid-North Coast NSW
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 12:13am

The scrotal sac?  I say BALLS to 'em!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:02am

miketrees wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:26pm:
And it feels great

Not too hairy Raven hopes.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:04am

miketrees wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:47pm:

This place wanted to have a safety person on their books, but did not want to do safety.
My job involved telling him when he was getting it wrong, he did not tolerate that.

So I had to go.

If you want, you've potentially got a case.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Ye Grappler
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Mid-North Coast NSW
Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:13am

Raven wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:04am:

So I had to go.

If you want, you've potentially got a case.

Sounds good to me, Raven - we are not quite yet entirely back into the master/servant relationship...

I know I sometimes sound hopelessly 'academic' to many here - it's the curse of being what I am - but rest assured I am not 'academic' - just full of info...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:06am

So I had to go.

Talk about shooting the messenger!

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Carl Sagan   रति

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:15am

So I had to go.

sorry to hear that Mike.....maybe you should take Ravens advice......sounds like they need a shake up on safety.......have you spoken to any unions on it???.....

what now   back to Perth?....I wish you all the best...no one should get the sack for doing their job...

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:59am

getting the sack from an abusive boss is akin to getting a divorce from an abusive partner.

it is freeing but also a chaotic experience.

chaos is a state we visit many times in our lives and is unavoidable.

when you make order from chaos , you move up

when you become a victim of chaos you move down.

after facing many floods and fires and droughts , one develops an appreciation of the neccessity of maintaining a frame of taking the pain and bearing it and moving forward.
in all seriousness, whenever you see a period of chaos as a reason to become resentful and play the victim you are SCREWED.

so now, the correct path is a to find an employer who wants to move forward with you in a relationship of trust and mutual respect (just as this is the answer to a relationship breakdown).
and move forward with a self respect that will not allow anyone to violate your boundaries, whilst at the same time recognising that you have to give before you recieve.

its a tricky course to plot and you have to PAY ATTENTION.
the pay off is you will find this path meaningful.
not happy!!!
but meaningful.
meaningful always trumps happiness.
happiness is worth nothing when chaos comes
AND IT ALWAYS COMES

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:04am

"f you have been dismissed from your employment you may be able to make an application to the Fair Work Commission under either unfair dismissal or general protections dismissal laws. Applications under these laws must be received by the Fair Work Commission within 21 days of your dismissal taking effect."

https://www.fwc.gov.au/termination-of-employment/unfair-dismissal

And make sure he doesn't do anything illegal, like withholding any accrued annual leave you might have had.

Plus, if the dismissal was effective immediately, you need to be paid in lieu of notice.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:10am

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:04am:
"f you have been dismissed from your employment you may be able to make an application to the Fair Work Commission under either unfair dismissal or general protections dismissal laws. Applications under these laws must be received by the Fair Work Commission within 21 days of your dismissal taking effect."

And make sure he doesn't do anything illegal, like withholding any accrued annual leave you might have had.

Plus, if the dismissal was effective immediately, you need to be paid in lieu of notice.

lawyers always encourage people to become a victim and to become resentful and to descend back into the muck.
i'd counsel against it.
its a non productive mode of being

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:12am

aquascoot wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:10am:

lawyers always encourage people to become a victim and to become resentful and to descend back into the muck.
i'd counsel against it.

I'm not a lawyer, and the FWC isn't a law firm.

Important:

Applications under these laws must be received by the Fair Work Commission within 21 days of your dismissal taking effect.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:14am

Good Luck MikeT

Never like to see anyone made unemployed.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:16am

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:12am:

i'd counsel against it.

Important:

Applications under these laws must be received by the Fair Work Commission within 21 days of your dismissal taking effect.

its still moving your mental frame to see a problem as something to feel hurt about, not something to use a stepping stone up the narrow road to success.
in my estimation, associating with a bad mindset lets that mindset seep into your neurology.
better to focus on the opportunities ahead and see this as a learning experience .
then your neurology will tell you that you are a creature who is now stronger and more resilient.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:24am

aquascoot wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:16am:

i'd counsel against it.

Important:

its still moving your mental frame to see a problem as something to feel hurt about, not something to use a stepping stone up the narrow road to success.
in my estimation, associating with a bad mindset lets that mindset seep into your neurology.
better to focus on the opportunities ahead and see this as a learning experience .
then your neurology will tell you that you are a creature who is now stronger and more resilient.

Do NOT listen to idiots like the one above, mike.

"An employer must provide an employee with written notice of the day of termination when ending their employment. Some exceptions apply (see below)."

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-will-help/templates-and-guides/fact-sheets/mi...

"An employer must not terminate an employee unless they have either:

"- given the minimum period of notice

"- paid the employee instead of giving notice. This is paid at the employee's full pay rate as if they had worked the minimum notice period."

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:35am

oh ive got no doubt most people will take your advice gweg.

but that doesnt mean most people are making the right choice.

most people make a self identity out of themselves as a victim (the whole legal framework relies on this ) and then they are stuck.

the lawyers have a nice big house to show for it but the client just has a new self identity as a victim and thats just a very bad idea.

still most people will do what you are saying.

thats why there are so few people on the "narrow road to success".
its a NARROW road you dumbie  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:45am

aquascoot wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:35am:

most people make a self identity out of themselves as a victim (the whole legal framework relies on this ) and then they are stuck.

the lawyers have a nice big house to show for it but the client just has a new self identity as a victim and thats just a very bad idea.

its a NARROW road you dumbie 
Cheesy Cheesy

There's no need for lawyers in unfair dismissal claims.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/termination-of-employment/unfair-dismissal/eligibility

Stop giving bad advice on something you know absolutely nothing about.

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-will-help/templates-and-guides/fact-sheets/mi...

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #18 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:53am

Didn't take you long to put your 'sales' cap on pessary.........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:15am

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:45am:
aquascoot wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:35am:

its a NARROW road you dumbie 
Cheesy Cheesy

There's no need for lawyers in unfair dismissal claims.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/termination-of-employment/unfair-dismissal/eligibility

Stop giving bad advice on something you know absolutely nothing about.

its still about looking to some authority figure to mother you and solve your problem .
that is appropriate for a toddler.
the left , however , see everyone as helpless victim or evil predator and they think that it is appropriate for people to be treated as helpless victim for their entire lives.
its the overdeveloped motherhood instinct of the left.

but from the age of about 13, if you want to become a confident assertive and meaningful creature, you have to brush aside this pathological way of seeing the world.

its ok for a 3 yo in a day care to run to an authority figure when there is a problem.
by the time we become adults, if we are to move up the "narrow road to success", we need to stop doing that, take personal responsibility for the trajectory of our lives and stop relying on the eternal mother to solve our problems.

you are a deeply oedipal man gweg, you think you are helping but all you are doing is weakening people

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:16am

Fuzzball wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:53am:

I'd make no money from it.

There's a $72 application fee that's paid to the FWC (if mike's in a union, they will pay that fee for him).

That's it.

No need for a lawyer, or any other expense.

There's next to no chance at all that he'll get his job back, but that's not what these claims are about most times.

Lodging an unfair dismissal claim is a way of ensuring that an unscrupulous employer pays all of the employee's entitlements on termination.

If mike's boss has paid him in lieu of notice, and is not withholding any accrued annual leave, then there's no need to lodge a claim.

However, if he sacked him on the spot and is refusing to pay what mike is legally owed, then an unfair dismissal claim is the best option.

What usually happens is: the employer receives the notice from FWC; freaks out; calls the ex-employee back in for a friendly chat; a reasonable & fair termination package is agreed upon; everyone walks away happy.

Once that money goes into the employee's bank account, the employee discontinues the unfair dismissal claim with the FWC (by filling out a very simple form, which costs nothing).

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:17am

I almost never agree with greg.. but in this case he is right...whether mike takes him up on it  is no one elses business..

but I am sorry to see aqua come in with his folksy remedy..one answer covers all.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes that seriously does not apply in today work place..

mike was the SAFETY OFFICER.....it is governed by LAWS.....these laws are not made for fun....mike could very well sit on his bum and do and say nothing   and then who knows a driver killed...or kills others and it all lands on mikes desk.... not the guy thats sacked him..

mike isnt upset he has been sacked for doing his job...

I am sure he would rather that than be found guilty of NOT DOING HIS JOB..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:20am

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:16am:

There's a $72 application fee that's paid to the FWC (if mike's in a union, they will pay that fee for him).

That's it.

There's next to no chance at all that he'll get his job back, but that's not what these claims are about most times.

Lodging an unfair dismissal claim is a way of ensuring that an unscrupulous employer pays all of the employee's entitlements on termination.

If mike's boss has paid him in lieu of notice, and is not withholding any accrued annual leave, then there's no need to lodge a claim.

However, if he sacked him on the spot and is refusing to pay what mike is legally owed, then an unfair dismissal claim is the best option.

What usually happens is: the employer receives the notice from FWC; freaks out; calls the ex-employee back in for a friendly chat; a reasonable & fair termination package is agreed upon; everyone walks away happy.

Once that money goes into the employee's bank account, the employee discontinues the unfair dismissal claim with the FWC (by filling out a very simple form, which costs nothing).

in my day when you were sacked the employer was not bound to give you all your entitlements..... maybe sick leave owing.....I am sure its changed now... but there are still a lot of unfair dismissals going on...

always as we know two sides to every story.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:25am

cods wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:17am:
I almost never agree with greg.. but in this case he is right...whether mike takes him up on it  is no one elses business..

but I am sorry to see aqua come in with his folksy remedy..one answer covers all.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes that seriously does not apply in today work place..

mike was the SAFETY OFFICER.....it is governed by LAWS.....these laws are not made for fun....mike could very well sit on his bum and do and say nothing   and then who knows a driver killed...or kills others and it all lands on mikes desk.... not the guy thats sacked him..

if an employer puts you in a situation where you have to be deceitful to keep your job you should leave.
its as simple as that.
once you start being deceitful , the deciet always compounds.

you should always tell the truth.
(your own personal truth)

and then just let the drama play out.

but heres my truth.

when you associate your mind with a problem, you are prone to become possessed by negative and neurotic thoughts.

and you shouldnt do that.

mike may GET something by going to FWA.
but it has nothing to do with what you get.
all that matters is what you BECOME.   Wink

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:26am

cods wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:20am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:16am:

That's it.

in my day when you were sacked the employer was not bound to give you all your entitlements..... maybe sick leave owing.....I am sure its changed now... but there are still a lot of unfair dismissals going on...

always as we know two sides to every story.

Accrued sick leave isn't paid on termination, unfortunately.

Accrued annual leave is, though (employers can not withhold annual leave payments).

Pro rata Long Service Leave must also be paid on termination (unless the employee was summarily dismissed for serious misconduct).

And, if the employee is not given the appropriate notice of termination, then payment must be made in lieu of that notice period.

(This is for full-time and part-time employees, of course - not casuals).

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:55am

i'd counsel against it.

Important:

And when he comes across another icehole like this ...

he again has to cop it on the chin?

Maybe not get paid his entitlements & his 2 weeks in lieu of notice?

I'd be making application to the FWC ... not necessarily to get the job back ... but to hit the bloke in the hip pocket(fines & costs)

and to get my entitlements paid and or a settlement.

Politicians are like nappies; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.
The most difficult choice a politician must ever make is whether to be a hypocrite or a liar.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:11am

Gnads wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:55am:

i'd counsel against it.

Important:

And when he comes across another icehole like this ...

he again has to cop it on the chin?

Maybe not get paid his entitlements & his 2 weeks in lieu of notice?

I'd be making application to the FWC ... not necessarily to get the job back ... but to hit the bloke in the hip pocket(fines & costs)

and to get my entitlements paid and or a settlement.

Indeed.  Well said.

And, Mike might be eligible for more than 2 weeks notice.

It depends on his age and how long he's worked there:

1 year or less = 1 week
More than 1 year - 3 years = 2 weeks
More than 3 years - 5 years = 3 weeks
More than 5 years = 4 weeks

And, if he's over 45 years old, and has completed at least two years of service with the company, he's eligible for an additional week of notice.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:32am

Not always. My wife was recently involved in a car accident that was in no way her fault, as evidenced by the police report but the other driver's insurance company are not playing fair saying they are only going to pay 90% of the cost of repairing the collision and the medical bills. fək that. Tomorrow I am calling a personal injury lawyer.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:39am

AiA wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:32am:

Not always. My wife was recently involved in a car accident that was in no way her fault, as evidenced by the police report but the other driver's insurance company are not playing fair saying they are only going to pay 90% of the cost of repairing the collision and the medical bills. fək that. Tomorrow I am calling a personal injury lawyer.

Google contributory negligence.

And Indian women aren't exactly LBFMs. ~ A Member
A Member ~ kill every man woman and child, who is a Muslim.
A Member ~ I know if he had touched my kid he [taxi driver]would need an Ambulance

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:41am

Aussie wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:39am:

Google contributory negligence.

I have already had legal advice, Aussie, but thanks.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #30 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:42am

Was it to take the offer?

A Member ~ I know if he had touched my kid he [taxi driver]would need an Ambulance

IP Logged

Ye Grappler
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Mid-North Coast NSW
Reply #31 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 1:22pm

That, my son, is how rapacious 'business' has become in this once-great nation - like so many others these days, they assume they can simply dictate to others because they have the money and can do whatever they like .....

Grease the guillotines, Igor.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #32 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 3:42pm

I believe that if an employer sacks a health & safety officer for
doing his job honestly, that an offence has been committed.
The employer could be charged with something.

Carl Sagan   रति

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #33 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:55pm

i'd counsel against it.

Important:

You could also consider it to be taking the front foot full of confidence to ensure that they learn the lesson and to prevent it happening to someone less well equipt.

If you let the bstds get away with it they will just keep on doing it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:42pm

aquascoot wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:25am:

if an employer puts you in a situation where you have to be deceitful to keep your job you should leave.
its as simple as that.
once you start being deceitful , the deciet always compounds.

you should always tell the truth.
(your own personal truth)

and then just let the drama play out.

but heres my truth.

when you associate your mind with a problem, you are prone to become possessed by negative and neurotic thoughts.

and you shouldnt do that.

mike may GET something by going to FWA.
but it has nothing to do with what you get.
all that matters is what you BECOME.   Wink

aquas   do you spend Sunday in the pulpit by any chance?

it doesnt sound as if you have been out looking for work in recent times....

it isnt that easy....mike has had it tough...and he is an educated bloke.... and you telling him he should have got out because he is now considered deceitful...what the??>

you have no idea what he has gone through....he is also a family man....probably with bills to pay like most.....its not so bloody easy to up and find another job in 2018.....

.Bobby wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 3:42pm:
I believe that if an employer sacks a health & safety officer for
doing his job honestly, that an offence has been committed.
The employer could be charged with something.

you may have a point bobby   if not,it should be one....

why employ a safety officer   if you ignore his advice???  and sack him because he does what he is employed to do...

I think greg would be up to the minute on this..

so I would listen to him...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:46pm

bugger me!

Quote:
it isnt that easy....mike has had it tough...and he is an educated bloke.... and you telling him he should have got out because he is now considered deceitful...what the??>

you have no idea what he has gone through....he is also a family man....probably with bills to pay like most.....its not so bloody easy to up and find another job in 2018.....

You just have no bridle on you, do you.

Gawd.

The Rules here are just worthless.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:08pm

Mike hasn't given any info as to circumstances so we have no idea of how he's been treated on dismissal but Gregg is right in his advice.

If your job is a safety officer in Au and you don't do your job you may well find yourself before the coroner's court if someone dies and be faced with legal action.

Aqua is telling us that to be an alpha we must leave the scene with our tails between our legs like a kicked dog. If you do that, you let everyone else that works there down.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:22pm

I checked with my lawyer.

Not much can be done.

I would not do a thing legal wise unless I had an iron clad guarantee.

It appears in Australia the boss can arse rape you inside 6 months with no fear of retribution.

There could be something under general protections but I have not got the will to go through that stuff.

I know the boss lied and cheated, I know he has a huge problem just around the corner.

I feel so good being out of there and I have applied for some interesting jobs.

Just going to get my money before I light any fire tho.

I will keep you posted.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:27pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:22pm:

Not much can be done.

It appears in Australia the boss can arse rape you inside 6 months with no fear of retribution.

There could be something under general protections but I have not got the will to go through that stuff.

I know the boss lied and cheated, I know he has a huge problem just around the corner.

I will keep you posted.

Grab what you can then, when that's over, report him to the Union for safety breaches, you were safety officer, they will listen to you. Don't let others be victims to his greed over the welfare of his workers.

It was good to see cods on the Union's side for once.

IP Logged

Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #39 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:28pm

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

The problem would be to prove your allegation that
you were sacked due to an honest health & safety report.
He would deny that and make
up all sorts of lies as to why you were sacked -
and yes - he would commit perjury to do so -
but he'd get a way with it -
if he was a good actor in court.
It happens every minute of every court day.

Carl Sagan   रति

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:31pm

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

Have I read that right?  You have been there for six months?  If so, I wonder why your predecessors left?

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:31pm

Bobby wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:28pm:

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

There is a 6 month period where unfair dismissal does not apply.
Quote:
Minimum employment period
Employees have to be employed for at least 6 months before they can apply for unfair dismissal.
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/ending-employment/unfair-dismissal

What he can do is notify the relevant Union of the safety breaches after he has received his pay and I would encourage him to do that.

IP Logged

Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:36pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:31pm:

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

Quote:
Employees have to be employed for at least 6 months before they can apply for unfair dismissal.

It's still absolutely illegal to sack someone due to them
writing a health & safety report that the employer doesn't like.

Carl Sagan   रति

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:40pm

Bobby wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:36pm:

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

Quote:

He should get his entitlements first, then put it in the hands of the relevant Union. The Union will do the work.

IP Logged

Bobby
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #44 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:46pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:40pm:

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

Quote:

He should get his entitlements first, then put it in the hands of the relevant Union. The Union will do the work.

I agree.
But once again it will be hard to prove in court -
employers are fantastic liars.

Carl Sagan   रति

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:49pm

Bobby wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:46pm:
Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:40pm:

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

Quote:

I agree.
But once again it will be hard to prove in court -
employers are fantastic liars.

The Union will check the machinery, it won't lie.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:51pm

The lawyer was very specific on this, she asked had I made a complaint about safety.

I said no, but I had outlined the deficiencies in a report and an internal audit.

Thats not good enough, I had to have made a complaint outside the normal procedures.

That would have had me sacked even earlier, and yelled at and abused for good measure

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:54pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:51pm:

The lawyer was very specific on this, she asked had I made a complaint about safety.

I said no, but I had outlined the deficiencies in a report and an internal audit.

Thats not good enough, I had to have made a complaint outside the normal procedures.

That would have had me sacked even earlier, and yelled at and abused for good measure

You are where you are now Mike, so take it from here. No point in looking back, decide what you will do and move on it.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #48 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:54pm

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

Quote:

What he can do is notify the relevant Union of the safety breaches after he has received his pay and I would encourage him to do that.

If the reason for termination can be proven as stated then it isn't an unfair dismissal it is an illegal termination which does not have the time limit.

As has been stated if the employer has not done something stupid it would be impossible to prove.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #49 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:09pm

Before taking any action, you might want to keep in mind a future employer's HR would no doubt ask why you left your previous employer. Casting a shadow over your last position may very well preclude you from being successful elsewhere.......?

Think carefully, six months is barely a probationary period, and keyboard 'experts' don't have to find another job in your field of expertise.......

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:29pm

Fuzzball wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:09pm:
Before taking any action, you might want to keep in mind a future employer's HR would no doubt ask why you left your previous employer. Casting a shadow over your last position may very well preclude you from being successful elsewhere.......?

Think carefully, six months is barely a probationary period, and keyboard 'experts' don't have to find another job in your field of expertise.......

Seriously? He's already been sacked. What he does after is irrelevant. Put it into the hands of the Union and let them deal with the safety issues so no-one is put at risk.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #51 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:32pm

That is not changed by the current position when asked the same question. Irrespective of taking action the answer is the same and if the previous employer is questioned then the outcome is still likely the same.
Probably better if you can show that you were in fact in the right and it is the previous employer who can not be trusted.

When asked why you left the previous employer a rather generic open ended answer is normally expected and likely true.

After all the previous employer will have provided some bull Shite reason which is very usable with new employers.

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:59pm

Get over it and move on, think outside of the square because there are a lot of opportunities out there, there are backpackers earning three grand a week in this country.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:29pm

xeej wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:59pm:
Get over it and move on, think outside of the square because there are a lot of opportunities out there, there are backpackers earning three grand a week in this country.

Sure, let the backpackers work in unsafe conditions, you know they are covered as much as Australians by workplace safety, don't you? Why are you championing unsafe workplaces? I hope you're not a business owner xeej.

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:47pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:29pm:

Sure, let the backpackers work in unsafe conditions, you know they are covered as much as Australians by workplace safety, don't you? Why are you championing unsafe workplaces? I hope you're not a business owner xeej.

These backpackers I speak of are working alongside tradesmen in country areas to satisfy working visa points. The solar farms being built are employing many and no shonky business. Google backpackers solar farms.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:54pm

xeej wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:47pm:

These backpackers I speak of are working alongside tradesmen in country areas to satisfy working visa points. The solar farms being built are employing many and no shonky business. Google backpackers solar farms.

So are the backpackers at fault or the employers? One group is doing what they need to do by government regulation, the other are exploiting people for their own benefit.

I've met quite a few blueberry pickers here that get paid less an hour than you pay for a punnet of blueberries. All seemed good people and most were European. They are rightfully angry when they come back from the supermarket and see what they are sold for.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #56 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:57pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:29pm:

Seriously? He's already been sacked. What he does after is irrelevant. Put it into the hands of the Union and let them deal with the safety issues so no-one is put at risk.

What he does after is VERY relevant to him and his family, you may not give a cr@p about his future, but I'm sure he does.

As I said, keyboard experts are not in your situation. At the end of the day, it's you who has to support your family, not them.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:00pm

Fuzzball wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:57pm:

What he does after is VERY relevant to him and his family, you may not give a cr@p about his future, but I'm sure he does.

As I said, keyboard experts are not in your situation. At the end of the day, it's you who has to support your family, not them.

Don't you think you should explain your position then Fuzz? You're not another "boss" that want's to intimidate not only workers but ex-workers are you?

What is the problem in revealing the truth? Should one be persecuted for it?

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:13pm by Cu Chullain »  

IP Logged

The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:11pm

#walkaway.........

stop wasting your time and effort... it'll only make you negative as Ascoot as said..

Q

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:14pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:54pm:
xeej wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:47pm:

So are the backpackers at fault or the employers? One group is doing what they need to do by government regulation, the other are exploiting people for their own benefit.

I've met quite a few blueberry pickers here that get paid less an hour than you pay for a punnet of blueberries. All seemed good people and most were European. They are rightfully angry when they come back from the supermarket and see what they are sold for.

Nobody is at fault in the example I just gave, the backpackers get their points with all OHS regulations and pay conditions adhered to, $150,000 per year!
Fruit picking has always been hard work for very little and open to rip offs.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:21pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:27pm:

Not much can be done.

I will keep you posted.

Grab what you can then, when that's over, report him to the Union for safety breaches, you were safety officer, they will listen to you. Don't let others be victims to his greed over the welfare of his workers.

It was good to see cods on the Union's side for once.

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

I am on mikes side....or any worker whos sacked.....unfairly......good luck mike with your next adventure..

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:26pm

The Mechanic wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:11pm:
#walkaway.........

stop wasting your time and effort... it'll only make you negative as Ascoot as said..

Winning or being honest does not make one feel bad, walking away with one's tail between one's legs makes one feel bad. Do you tuck your tail and run when you are treated badly?

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #62 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:31pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:00pm:

Don't you think you should explain your position then Fuzz? You're not another "boss" that want's to intimidate not only workers but ex-workers are you?

What is the problem in revealing the truth? Should one be persecuted for it?

If you find it complicated, I really can't help you. No I am not a boss trying to "intimidate" anybody, you sell Mike short if you think he can be " intimidated" on a forum. He's had the matter looked at with no doubt a full explanation to the lawyer, why would you think you know better?

He was in the position for a very short period of time, he needs to collect monies outstanding and move on. His future relies on satisfactory references, why would you advise him to jeopardise future employment opportunities by making a BIGGER enemy of this arsehole of a boss ?

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:33pm

cods wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:21pm:
I am on mikes side....or any worker whos sacked.....unfairly......good luck mike with your next adventure..

Without the Unions you pay out on, he/we would be cat meat left out in the open.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:40pm

Fuzzball wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
If you find it complicated, I really can't help you. No I am not a boss trying to "intimidate" anybody, you sell Mike short if you think he can be " intimidated" on a forum. He's had the matter looked at with no doubt a full explanation to the lawyer, why would you think you know better?

He was in the position for a very short period of time, he needs to collect monies outstanding and move on. His future relies on satisfactory references, why would you advise him to jeopardise future employment opportunities by making a BIGGER enemy of this arsehole of a boss ?

That's not my point at all. He was according to himself sacked for his not bowing to the boss and writing an honest safety report, as was his job. If that is the case, advising him to pull his head in is piss weak. It should be reported and acted upon. Other workers will suffer at some point because of it. Whether they are work visa holders or not is irrelevant. If what Mike has told us over time is true, the boss needs the Union to come down hard on his arse and make sure he is doing the right thing.

Mike could do as you advise and leave people in danger and not give a rat's but I would never want someone like that to have my back.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #65 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:45pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:40pm:

That's not my point at all. He was according to himself sacked for his not bowing to the boss and writing an honest safety report, as was his job. If that is the case, advising him to pull his head in is piss weak. It should be reported and acted upon. Other workers will suffer at some point because of it. Whether they are work visa holders or not is irrelevant. If what Mike has told us over time is true, the boss needs the Union to come down hard on his arse and make sure he is doing the right thing.

Mike could do as you advise and leave people in danger and not give a rat's but I would never want someone like that to have my back.

You're a f#####g Saint..........with another man's future.........how are you with your own?

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:49pm

Fuzzball wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:45pm:
Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:40pm:

You're a f#####g Saint..........with another man's future.........how are you with your own?

A saint? Another man's future? I'm not ordering him to do anything and he has no obligation to listen to me. You are telling him to STFU and wear it, I'm saying he should not. Why are you playing with his future?
With my own what?

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #67 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:53pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:42am:
Was it to take the offer?

No. I know a woman, an attorney, who once worked for the insurance industry (doing their dirty work) and she told me not to take it, that they were low-balling me and just wanted to get rid of me. And she referred me to a personal injury lawyer.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:58pm

Xeej and Fuzz

There goes another
Impeccable principals
Don't sit on my six

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:08pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:58pm:
Xeej and Fuzz

There goes another
Impeccable principals
Don't sit on my six

What do you mean.
I wouldn't promote unfair work practices.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:16pm

xeej wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:08pm:
Xeej and Fuzz

There goes another
Impeccable principals
Don't sit on my six

What do you mean.

That's a good start my man, look a it from both sides. No-one should be exploited. Do unto others....

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:24pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:16pm:
Xeej and Fuzz

There goes another
Impeccable principals
Don't sit on my six

What do you mean.

That's a good start my man, look a it from both sides. No-one should be exploited. Do unto others....

I'm not your man.
If there are any unfair practices going on then report it to the relative authorities.

IP Logged

Ye Grappler
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Mid-North Coast NSW
Reply #72 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:17am

xeej wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:24pm:
Xeej and Fuzz

There goes another
Impeccable principals
Don't sit on my six

What do you mean.

I'm not your man.
If there are any unfair practices going on then report it to the relative authorities.

Hmm - the theory of relative authorities... as you approach the speed of political speak, reality and truth contract, and while the outside world continues in the same time and space,  the political speaker and/or paid lackey, will suffer time and reality distortion, thus creating an inescapable divide between the speaker/authority and the audience, and any principal principles will be lost due to reality displacement.

― John Adams

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:03am

Ye Grappler wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:17am:
Xeej and Fuzz

There goes another
Impeccable principals
Don't sit on my six

What do you mean.

I'm not your man.

Hmm - the theory of relative authorities... as you approach the speed of political speak, reality and truth contract, and while the outside world continues in the same time and space,  the political speaker and/or paid lackey, will suffer time and reality distortion, thus creating an inescapable divide between the speaker/authority and the audience, and any principal principles will be lost due to reality displacement.

I know what you are saying but in the real world we have to keep pace.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 8:29am

xeej wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:03am:
Ye Grappler wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:17am:
Xeej and Fuzz

There goes another
Impeccable principals
Don't sit on my six

What do you mean.

I'm not your man.

I know what you are saying but in the real world we have to keep pace.

seriously!

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 8:50am

This is the part that tearing me.

I decided to stay working at first to try and fix the safety problem within, however now that is not possible.

So I do have a responsibility to do something.

I got a threatening letter from my ex employers lawyer this morning to add some extra dimension to this dilemma.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #76 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 9:06am

Best of Luck Mike

At least you only have 6 months invested in this situation which should be easy enough to walk away from.

IMO it would be enough to give the union a copy of the report in question and walk away - job done.

You could also give the union a copy of the legal correspondence to see if they could make any use of it.

I have been in a situation where I took this path completely different perimeters but found it to be counter productive in the end. While I squeezed a few $ out of the company the toll I paid was significant, among other things it impacted my sleep and health as well as preventing me from moving forward for well over 6 months.

From the companies point it was just another opportunity to be dishonest and nasty, in the end it was water off a ducks back to them. They knew all along that they had done the wrong thing and were as pleased as punch about it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 9:52am

miketrees wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 8:50am:

This is the part that tearing me.

I decided to stay working at first to try and fix the safety problem within, however now that is not possible.

So I do have a responsibility to do something.

I got a threatening letter from my ex employers lawyer this morning to add some extra dimension to this dilemma.

very ominous!!...  it sounds like they have something to hide mike..

be very careful!! you have legal advice let them handle it....its a bit unusual for them to send a legal letter so soon dont you think?.....

whatever write everything down thats happened....names and dates if you have them...

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:09am

I have just contacted Worksafe. (not given up the name of the company yet)

I need to know if the company has any right to try and enforce their confidentiality clause.

I cant see that they can, but they will use this as an excuse not to pay,,, then that would be a civil matter and they know people will not use lawyers.

I want to know if Worksafe has any protections for people who blow the whistle.

The company failed to report a reportable incident to worksafe.

To protect myself I forwarded the email to my home email where I had advised one of the directors that they needed to report the incident. (open fracture to the leg).
The company has seen that I have forwarded that email on.
I also sent to myself a copy of my reports, which were spot on detailing the deficiencies in their safety management and pointing out who has responsibility.

The company managers were all of the view that as I was the safety manager it was my job to ensure safety.
I do have responsibility, however the managers kept me in the dark about the work they were doing, I did not get a chance to get into the field to check
When I did do site inspections I found some appalling safety failures.
One site I visited one woman worker looked like a Smurf covered in blue dye form the glyphosate mix, no PPE provided.
That was on the very morning the news of that huge compensation case in the US was in our newspapers.

The manager of course thought that it was my job to fix it.

I had no budget, never knew what jobs they were doing, never knew where to find them working.
Any time I asked the managers were very evasive and discouraged me from visiting sites.
I knew they would know this, but I had to cover myself

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:13pm

I would think your job wa to advice management what THEY MUST DO.to make their workplace safe to work in..

they are the ones with the tools and budget... are they not...

I have never heard of any work safety employee turning off machinery  shall we say....  and stopping a whole production  line..... Roll Eyes

these"management"  folks are also responsible for poisoning the waterways all over the world....it comes from the TOP..

did you have a contract mike??...sometimes they get you with that one as well.....it is after all crafted by the company for the company..

you are pretty brave mike  I guess as you get older you get stronger...and well done to you....

do we have any Erin Brockovichs  in this country...???

she gets the attention....

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:27pm

cods wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:13pm:
I would think your job wa to advice management what THEY MUST DO.to make their workplace safe to work in..

they are the ones with the tools and budget... are they not...

I have never heard of any work safety employee turning off machinery  shall we say....  and stopping a whole production  line..... Roll Eyes

these"management"  folks are also responsible for poisoning the waterways all over the world....it comes from the TOP..

did you have a contract mike??...sometimes they get you with that one as well.....it is after all crafted by the company for the company..

you are pretty brave mike  I guess as you get older you get stronger...and well done to you....

do we have any Erin Brockovichs  in this country...???

she gets the attention....

If there was a problem that he was aware of and he didn't get it shut down then he could probably get done for negligence. Safety officers get paid to do a job.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:35pm

If there was a problem that he was aware of and he didn't get it shut down then he could probably get done for negligence. Safety officers get paid to do a job.

I had contacted worksafe earlier.

They said as long as I had notified the boss I was in the clear.

I had to send that email to my home email to keep proof

Thats what has made them send a threatening letter from their lawyer.

I think they have overstepped the mark on this account.

But I need the backing of worksafe in writing

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:42pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:35pm:

I had contacted worksafe earlier.

They said as long as I had notified the boss I was in the clear.

I had to send that email to my home email to keep proof

Thats what has made them send a threatening letter from their lawyer.

I think they have overstepped the mark on this account.

But I need the backing of worksafe in writing

I am surprised work safe have not investigated if a formal complaint has been made from a safety officer.

IP Logged

xeej
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:49pm

If an accident happens now after you have informed work safe of a problem then they would be negligent.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:11pm

I was told not to notify worksafe by my boss.

I have now notified worksafe.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #85 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:51pm

Irrespective of what your 'boss' instructs you to do, isn't there a legal requirement for a Health & Safety Officer to report any and all problems which would have a detrimental affect on the health and safety of employees to Worksafe?

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #86 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 2:50pm

One door closes another one opens. The universe is telling you it's time to on

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #87 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:02pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 11:09am:
I have just contacted Worksafe. (not given up the name of the company yet)

I need to know if the company has any right to try and enforce their confidentiality clause.

I cant see that they can, but they will use this as an excuse not to pay,,, then that would be a civil matter and they know people will not use lawyers.

I want to know if Worksafe has any protections for people who blow the whistle.

The company failed to report a reportable incident to worksafe.

To protect myself I forwarded the email to my home email where I had advised one of the directors that they needed to report the incident. (open fracture to the leg).
The company has seen that I have forwarded that email on.
I also sent to myself a copy of my reports, which were spot on detailing the deficiencies in their safety management and pointing out who has responsibility.

The company managers were all of the view that as I was the safety manager it was my job to ensure safety.
I do have responsibility, however the managers kept me in the dark about the work they were doing, I did not get a chance to get into the field to check
When I did do site inspections I found some appalling safety failures.
One site I visited one woman worker looked like a Smurf covered in blue dye form the glyphosate mix, no PPE provided.
That was on the very morning the news of that huge compensation case in the US was in our newspapers.

The manager of course thought that it was my job to fix it.

I had no budget, never knew what jobs they were doing, never knew where to find them working.
Any time I asked the managers were very evasive and discouraged me from visiting sites.
I knew they would know this, but I had to cover myself

Quote:
need to know if the company has any right to try and enforce their confidentiality clause.

They do if you signed a confidentiality agreement when you joined the company or when you left it. Also possibly if you agreed to their policies in writing and it is listed as a company policy that you were made aware of.

It may not be legal for this to cover safety issues or illegal activity.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:17pm

I doubt they would have had their lawyers contact Mike...
unless he had some damaging knowledge of their work ethics....in the mean time Mike lets hope no one is injured because they chose to sack you..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:27pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:33pm:

Without the Unions you pay out on, he/we would be cat meat left out in the open.

a lot has changed since the bad old days.....

tell me cu    what you claim we all get thanks to Unions..

why are they of all people not up to this business that mike was working for..

an unsafe work environment???.....

to me.. why do you have to belong to a UNION   for them to step in....when someones life  is at stake.???......

surely if a business employs a safe work officer......then the unions would do themselves a favour by being involved........

it sounds like a toxic ingredient is used there....that workers are not advised about...

seems to me   the Unions dont give a shite about you unless you join.....

isnt that a bit like saying..

well you didnt vote for this govt so you get none of the hand outs...

unions cant talk the talk about safety sanctimoniously .. when they turn a blind eye...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #90 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:44pm

Gawd!

Quote:
to me.. why do you have to belong to a UNION   for them to step in....when someones life  is at stake.???......

Think about that, cods.  Really, I don't want to get up you without giving you an opportunity to work it out for yourself.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:44pm:
Gawd!

Quote:

Think about that, cods.  Really, I don't want to get up you without giving you an opportunity to work it out for yourself.

i wasnt replying to you  i know you need everything spelt out pet..

people think the unions are still worth their weight in gold....

maybe I got the wrong idea what mike said.. regarding  a person being BLUE at their work station...

that sends all sorts of warning signals to me..

not you pet   no one expects you to think like that..

this is a business in Australia  where I would expect everyone in the work place has heard of WORKSAFE and UNIONS.... someone other than mike would have realised it was wrong to turn BLUE  and would have contacted someone at sometime.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

perhaps mike would know if this business had ever had a visit from a Union rep?......I dont know...

maybe crook would know though he seems to be more interested in people getting paid in the proper way

he certainly never comes up with advice in a case like this...

crawl back where you came  from aussie..when I want your sneering advice I will ask for it..

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #92 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 5:16pm

Quote:

You fuq wit!  Because without Members, there is no Union!

You want a Union to exist but not have Membership.  Dumb.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:48pm

My scumbag exboss had already broken our contract by changing conditions without my written signed consent.

So he will have trouble trying to enforce a contract he has broken.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:55pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
Quote:

You fuq wit!  Because without Members, there is no Union!

You want a Union to exist but not have Membership.  Dumb.

Next, you'll tell me that a Union ought to help some bloke who is not a Member, yes?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:08pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:48pm:

My scumbag exboss had already broken our contract by changing conditions without my written signed consent.

So he will have trouble trying to enforce a contract he has broken.

sounds good mike...I am disgusted by some who only come into a thread to ridicule or put down others..

you are a serious case of "neglect " I am sure there is a stronger word to use.. butg cant think at the moment..

because  I am horrified by the ignorance of some  who are so desperate for attention  they do whatever they can, to deflect any thread on to themselves...  Angry Angry Angry..

for you  read through his rubbish  so you can talk about the situation you find yourself in!!!!  is bloody appalling....

my apologies that he uses me as an excuse to get the attention on to himself......

as you can see he has absolutely  no interest in  your situation at all.

just vile abuse...getting round the swear filter...I am sure you need that mike. Sad Sad Sad

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #96 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:16pm

You had your chance cods.

Far cough.  You have no idea what you say.  You want a Union to be the "White Night" for a non Member.  He is on his own.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:25pm

cods wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:27pm:

It's a thing called 'Right of Entry', cods.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/registered-organisations/entry-permits

Unions can't just barge in wherever (or whenever) they like.

There are laws that they must, and do, obey.

And, in a general sense, a Union can't just step in and assist a non-member.

That would be like an insurance company repairing someone's car after an accident, even though they don't have a policy with them.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #98 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:26pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:16pm:

Far cough.  You have no idea what you say.  You want a Union to be the "White Night" for a non Member.  He is on his own.

And just lately arsehole, you are on your own.......particularly after you stabbed your best buddy pessary in the back.........that's a legal eagle for ya.......or is that a taxi driver with a big faqqing gob.......and vivid imagination.........

😋

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #99 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:27pm

Fuzzball wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:26pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:16pm:

And just lately arsehole, you are on your own.......particularly after you stabbed your best buddy pessary in the back.........that's a legal eagle for ya.......or is that a taxi driver with a big faqqing gob.......and vivid imagination.........

..[size=20][/size]

No wounds in my back.

Again, for cods:

That would be like an insurance company repairing someone's car after an accident, even though they don't have a policy with them.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:30pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:25pm:

But, they will and do help non-union members if that person contacts them and asks for help.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:33pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:30pm:

But, they will and do help non-union members if that person contacts them and asks for help.

Legally, they can't represent them in court or at the FWC.

They can certainly give non-members advice, though.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:34pm

Quote:

I suspect that will happen with a condition that they join the Union.

Peccary has nailed it.  Pay the premium, get the insurance.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:39pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:34pm:
Quote:

I suspect that will happen with a condition that they join the Union.

Peccary has nailed it.  Pay the premium, get the insurance.

Even if they join, they still can't legally represent them if it's a pre-existing complaint.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:43pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:33pm:

Perhaps but that's not the only way for help to be given. When I was a young fellow I worked in the freezer at PWS in Osborne Park, Perth. We did not have freezer clothes, it was -30 and we would leave the freezer when nothing was coming through from the snap freezer, to warm up. We got a new GM from the UK who was a total arsehole and he demanded we stay in the freezer all day and would not provide the clothing to do so. I called the Union and was not a member, the Union came out and in no time we had the gear needed, I joined the Union.

The same GM then had a cafeteria built on site and demanded we could not leave the premises at lunch time and buy food off-site and that we could not eat in our cars or outside the cafeteria. You can guess where I told him to shove that.

Maggie T would have been proud of him.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #105 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:47pm

Where is cods when you need her to get a dose of reality?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #106 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:49pm

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:43pm:

Perhaps but that's not the only way for help to be given. When I was a young fellow I worked in the freezer at PWS in Osborne Park, Perth. We did not have freezer clothes, it was -30 and we would leave the freezer when nothing was coming through from the snap freezer, to warm up. We got a new GM from the UK who was a total arsehole and he demanded we stay in the freezer all day and would not provide the clothing to do so. I called the Union and was not a member, the Union came out and in no time we had the gear needed, I joined the Union.

The same GM then had a cafeteria built on site and demanded we could not leave the premises at lunch time and buy food off-site and that we could not eat in our cars or outside the cafeteria. You can guess where I told him to shove that.

Yep.

They'll do things like that, for sure.

As long as there is at least one union member on site.

That's the great thing about unions - everyone benefits from their hard work, not just the members.

IP Logged

Cu Chullain
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:53pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:49pm:
Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:43pm:

Yep.

They'll do things like that, for sure.

As long as there is at least one union member on site.

That's the great thing about unions - everyone benefits from their hard work, not just the members.

The loading dock(outside the freezer) had Union members and one of them was the Union rep.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #108 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:18pm

When I was a safety manager for a cleaning company i asked United voice if I could join as many of the people I was looking after were members.

They said as I was a manager i could not join.

There was some other technical union or something they said i could join, but I didnt want that.

I offered to help United Voice to draw up a code of practice for contract cleaners, worksafe said they would audit against my code of practice if I got the union to agree.
the union did not respond.

Cleaners got injured mostly from the negligence of building owners, however the cleaning company took the wrap and payed out the compo.

Its still something that needs to be done,,,,, I may have time now.

Simple things like adequate lighting, size / weight of bins, safe access to hot water, correct places to dispose of mop water, safe access after hours, security.
I felt sorry for the cleaners they were treated appallingly
A simple check list that could be audited would protect them 90%

Any Union people, pass on my idea??

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:25am

I was informed years ago that no one is considered 100% in the right or 100% in the wrong in car accidents.

The blame/responsibility is always apportioned.

Insurers would argue that the accident/incident may not have happened if you hadn't been there.

Politicians are like nappies; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.
The most difficult choice a politician must ever make is whether to be a hypocrite or a liar.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:55am

So you're an enabler of shonky treatment of workers & unsafe workplaces by unscrupulous employers just because you think that boss would give him a bad reference to another employer ... right?

Why should an employer take the word of another employer they don't know?

The prospective employees resume & performance at interview should be what carries the day.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #111 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:00am

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:26pm:
The Mechanic wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:11pm:
#walkaway.........

Winning or being honest does not make one feel bad, walking away with one's tail between one's legs makes one feel bad. Do you tuck your tail and run when you are treated badly?

I wouldn't have thought he would have given that advice.  Shocked

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:42am

Cu Chullain wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:33pm:

a lot has changed since the bad old days.....

tell me cu    what you claim we all get thanks to Unions..

why are they of all people not up to this business that mike was working for..

an unsafe work environment???.....

surely if a business employs a safe work officer......then the unions would do themselves a favour by being involved........

it sounds like a toxic ingredient is used there....that workers are not advised about...

seems to me   the Unions dont give a shite about you unless you join.....

isnt that a bit like saying..

well you didnt vote for this govt so you get none of the hand outs...

unions cant talk the talk about safety sanctimoniously .. when they turn a blind eye...

A totally ill informed piece Cods.

There is no such thing as "The Union". There are specific Unions that have application to certain types of workplaces covering certain trades or jobs/careers.

A Union is it's membership who elect an executive body to run it & to look after the members best interests.

Combined Unions all have vested interests in WH&S and often have workplace appointed safety representatives.

What Unions have also given employees/members over the last century is -

a 5 day working week & an 8hr day.
award rates of pay
meal breaks/rest breaks
annual leave
sick leave
long service leave
leave loading
shift allowances
weekend penalty rates
superannuation
maternity & paternity leave
workers compensation
representation for unfair dismissal
workplace collective bargaining
redundancy pay
& Workplace Health and Safety.(would you believe)

So yeah.... what have Unions done for us?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:51am

They certainly do Set.

But according to Cods naive understanding .....

what have Trade Unions ever done for the worker/member?

Even the bosses belong to associations that are in fact "Unions of Employers". Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:52am

It doesn't take very much time to sign them up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print