Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
I got the sac today (Read 9063 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: I got the sac today
Reply #105 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:47pm

Where is cods when you need her to get a dose of reality?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #106 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:49pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:33pm:
Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:30pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:25pm:
cods wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:27pm:
to me.. why do you have to belong to a UNION   for them to step in....when someones life  is at stake.???......

It's a thing called 'Right of Entry', cods.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/registered-organisations/entry-permits

Unions can't just barge in wherever (or whenever) they like.

There are laws that they must, and do, obey.

And, in a general sense, a Union can't just step in and assist a non-member.

That would be like an insurance company repairing someone's car after an accident, even though they don't have a policy with them.

But, they will and do help non-union members if that person contacts them and asks for help.

Legally, they can't represent them in court or at the FWC.

They can certainly give non-members advice, though.

Perhaps but that's not the only way for help to be given. When I was a young fellow I worked in the freezer at PWS in Osborne Park, Perth. We did not have freezer clothes, it was -30 and we would leave the freezer when nothing was coming through from the snap freezer, to warm up. We got a new GM from the UK who was a total arsehole and he demanded we stay in the freezer all day and would not provide the clothing to do so. I called the Union and was not a member, the Union came out and in no time we had the gear needed, I joined the Union.

The same GM then had a cafeteria built on site and demanded we could not leave the premises at lunch time and buy food off-site and that we could not eat in our cars or outside the cafeteria. You can guess where I told him to shove that.

Maggie T would have been proud of him.

Yep.

They'll do things like that, for sure.

As long as there is at least one union member on site.

That's the great thing about unions - everyone benefits from their hard work, not just the members.

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:53pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:49pm:
Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 7:43pm:
to me.. why do you have to belong to a UNION   for them to step in....when someones life  is at stake.???......

That would be like an insurance company repairing someone's car after an accident, even though they don't have a policy with them.

But, they will and do help non-union members if that person contacts them and asks for help.

Perhaps but that's not the only way for help to be given. When I was a young fellow I worked in the freezer at PWS in Osborne Park, Perth. We did not have freezer clothes, it was -30 and we would leave the freezer when nothing was coming through from the snap freezer, to warm up. We got a new GM from the UK who was a total arsehole and he demanded we stay in the freezer all day and would not provide the clothing to do so. I called the Union and was not a member, the Union came out and in no time we had the gear needed, I joined the Union.

The same GM then had a cafeteria built on site and demanded we could not leave the premises at lunch time and buy food off-site and that we could not eat in our cars or outside the cafeteria. You can guess where I told him to shove that.

Maggie T would have been proud of him.

Yep.

They'll do things like that, for sure.

As long as there is at least one union member on site.

That's the great thing about unions - everyone benefits from their hard work, not just the members.

The loading dock(outside the freezer) had Union members and one of them was the Union rep.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #108 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:18pm

When I was a safety manager for a cleaning company i asked United voice if I could join as many of the people I was looking after were members.

They said as I was a manager i could not join.

There was some other technical union or something they said i could join, but I didnt want that.

I offered to help United Voice to draw up a code of practice for contract cleaners, worksafe said they would audit against my code of practice if I got the union to agree.
the union did not respond.

Cleaners got injured mostly from the negligence of building owners, however the cleaning company took the wrap and payed out the compo.

Its still something that needs to be done,,,,, I may have time now.

Simple things like adequate lighting, size / weight of bins, safe access to hot water, correct places to dispose of mop water, safe access after hours, security.
I felt sorry for the cleaners they were treated appallingly
A simple check list that could be audited would protect them 90%

Any Union people, pass on my idea??

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:25am

AiA wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 11:32am:
aquascoot wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:10am:
lawyers always encourage people to become a victim and to become resentful and to descend back into the muck.

Not always. My wife was recently involved in a car accident that was in no way her fault, as evidenced by the police report but the other driver's insurance company are not playing fair saying they are only going to pay 90% of the cost of repairing the collision and the medical bills. fək that. Tomorrow I am calling a personal injury lawyer.

I was informed years ago that no one is considered 100% in the right or 100% in the wrong in car accidents.

The blame/responsibility is always apportioned.

Insurers would argue that the accident/incident may not have happened if you hadn't been there.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:55am

Fuzzball wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:57pm:
Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:29pm:
Fuzzball wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:09pm:
Before taking any action, you might want to keep in mind a future employer's HR would no doubt ask why you left your previous employer. Casting a shadow over your last position may very well preclude you from being successful elsewhere.......?

Think carefully, six months is barely a probationary period, and keyboard 'experts' don't have to find another job in your field of expertise.......

Seriously? He's already been sacked. What he does after is irrelevant. Put it into the hands of the Union and let them deal with the safety issues so no-one is put at risk.

What he does after is VERY relevant to him and his family, you may not give a cr@p about his future, but I'm sure he does.

As I said, keyboard experts are not in your situation. At the end of the day, it's you who has to support your family, not them.

So you're an enabler of shonky treatment of workers & unsafe workplaces by unscrupulous employers just because you think that boss would give him a bad reference to another employer ... right?

Why should an employer take the word of another employer they don't know?

The prospective employees resume & performance at interview should be what carries the day.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #111 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:00am

Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:26pm:
President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:11pm:
#walkaway.........

stop wasting your time and effort... it'll only make you negative as Ascoot as said..

Winning or being honest does not make one feel bad, walking away with one's tail between one's legs makes one feel bad. Do you tuck your tail and run when you are treated badly?

I wouldn't have thought he would have given that advice.  Shocked

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:42am

Cu Chulainn wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:33pm:
cods wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:21pm:
I am on mikes side....or any worker whos sacked.....unfairly......good luck mike with your next adventure..

Without the Unions you pay out on, he/we would be cat meat left out in the open.

a lot has changed since the bad old days.....

tell me cu    what you claim we all get thanks to Unions..

why are they of all people not up to this business that mike was working for..

an unsafe work environment???.....

surely if a business employs a safe work officer......then the unions would do themselves a favour by being involved........

it sounds like a toxic ingredient is used there....that workers are not advised about...

seems to me   the Unions dont give a shite about you unless you join.....

isnt that a bit like saying..

well you didnt vote for this govt so you get none of the hand outs...

unions cant talk the talk about safety sanctimoniously .. when they turn a blind eye...

A totally ill informed piece Cods.

There is no such thing as "The Union". There are specific Unions that have application to certain types of workplaces covering certain trades or jobs/careers.

A Union is it's membership who elect an executive body to run it & to look after the members best interests.

Combined Unions all have vested interests in WH&S and often have workplace appointed safety representatives.

What Unions have also given employees/members over the last century is -

a 5 day working week & an 8hr day.
award rates of pay
meal breaks/rest breaks
annual leave
sick leave
long service leave
leave loading
shift allowances
weekend penalty rates
superannuation
maternity & paternity leave
workers compensation
representation for unfair dismissal
workplace collective bargaining
redundancy pay
& Workplace Health and Safety.(would you believe)

So yeah.... what have Unions done for us?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:51am

They certainly do Set.

But according to Cods naive understanding .....

what have Trade Unions ever done for the worker/member?

Even the bosses belong to associations that are in fact "Unions of Employers". Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:52am

It doesn't take very much time to sign them up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print