Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Daylight Stupid Savings (Read 9847 times)
Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Daylight Stupid Savings
Reply #90 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:13pm

Gnads wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:13pm:
Dnarever wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:02am:
Gnads wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:34am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:41pm:
Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:24pm:
On the other hand, you might turn off the Aircon effectively an hour earlier (when going to bed). Depending on the noise factor involved?

Actually: on second thoughts ... it makes no difference really.

If you arrive home at X hour and go to bed at X +hours ... then the time interval for the Aircon is the same with or without DLS....

If I get up on a daylight savings day, I will put my fans on anytime after 9am. Effectively, that means I would be putting the fans on at 8am normal time. The days goes on and I leave the fans on an average hour longer than I would during normal non-DLS time. The lights for my house go on by the later afternoon, and does so regardless of what time sunset occur. Lights do not cost nearly as much as air conditioning and fans. The argument that not switching on lights until an hour later does not add up to savings.

That's exactly right .... you switch your lights on when it's dark .... regardless of DLS which makes no difference.

In fact if you are an early starter say  4 or 5 am .... with DLS you're getting up in the dark in summer so have to turn on lights.

The saving energy argument is as stupid as the curtains fading or the milking cows being confused lines.

However originally power saving was one of the arguments in favour of DS.

The difference between one family member turning on a light or two for 20 minutes does not compete well with the whole family having every light and device running. I suspect that the big difference today is cooling which was not originally in the mix to any extent.

The savings are now known to be minimal but I suspect that originally there were savings.

The curtains fading story was actually correct - it did happen.

Grin Did happen because of DLS?  Grin

Curtains fade anyway.

To suggest the curtains faded more during DLS is saying that DLS actually creates an extra hour of  daylight.

Mother nature creates the longer daylight in summer & reduces it in winter.

It's the same every year - no extra is created with DLS. FFS. Roll Eyes

Yes it was true.

A woman originally said it on a radio program I believe.

This woman finished work at say 2 pm every day went home and closed her curtains, during DS she is effectivly closing the curtains at 1PM (real time) and exposing the curtains to an additional hour of sunlight each day.

During day light saving her curtains are exposed to an additional hour of sun light in the middle of the day which in fact caused the blinds to fade quicker as you would expect.

People have since assumed as you did and it has been turned into a joke the fact however is that it was true and in fact did happen.

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 12:41am

Gnads wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:22am:
buzzanddidj wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:46pm:
Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:25am:
Wasn't it put to a vote?
Here in Qld we said NO!

In 60 odd years of modern era daylight saving in mainstream Australia - I've always believed that this opposition to unity and energy saving measures has always been tied to intellect - or more to the point - general lack OF it

Just have a look at where it all COMES from

Gough Whitlam once said of Joh Bjelke-Peterson- "He can't even agree on the time of day"
You'd almost think that Queenslanders and Australians were different races, sometimes

It never seems to occur to Queenslanders that their obstinance is costing them two hours of commerce time, per day, with the mainland

How does it save energy?  Grin

As for unity ... are you speaking of "sheeple unity".

And despite DLS time on the eastern seaboard there are still time zone differentials across the rest of the country .....

so it sounds just like the attitude displayed by the SE corner of QLD ..... you all think the world revolves around you.

If there is an intellect problem regarding opposition to DLS in QLD .... I'd say the ball lays squarely in the court of those who think altering the clock "saves" daylight.

Even sillier is the suggestion that DLS saves energy. Roll Eyes Grin

When you post a meme once it's funny. When you post the same meme four times in the same thread it's the mother-in-law whose decided to stay for a few weeks more and outlived her welcome.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:09am

I really don't give a toss what you think about how many times I've posted that meme.

I have re-posted it because it depicts exactly the mentality the pro-DLS proponents are using in their campaign for it's introduction in QLD.

Are you the Meme Police?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:47am

Gnads wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:14pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:25am:
Dnarever wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:02am:
Gnads wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:34am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:41pm:
Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:24pm:
On the other hand, you might turn off the Aircon effectively an hour earlier (when going to bed). Depending on the noise factor involved?

Actually: on second thoughts ... it makes no difference really.

If you arrive home at X hour and go to bed at X +hours ... then the time interval for the Aircon is the same with or without DLS....

If I get up on a daylight savings day, I will put my fans on anytime after 9am. Effectively, that means I would be putting the fans on at 8am normal time. The days goes on and I leave the fans on an average hour longer than I would during normal non-DLS time. The lights for my house go on by the later afternoon, and does so regardless of what time sunset occur. Lights do not cost nearly as much as air conditioning and fans. The argument that not switching on lights until an hour later does not add up to savings.

That's exactly right .... you switch your lights on when it's dark .... regardless of DLS which makes no difference.

In fact if you are an early starter say  4 or 5 am .... with DLS you're getting up in the dark in summer so have to turn on lights.

The saving energy argument is as stupid as the curtains fading or the milking cows being confused lines.

However originally power saving was one of the arguments in favour of DS.

The difference between one family member turning on a light or two for 20 minutes does not compete well with the whole family having every light and device running. I suspect that the big difference today is cooling which was not originally in the mix to any extent.

The savings are now known to be minimal but I suspect that originally there were savings.

The curtains fading story was actually correct - it did happen.

Studies have shown a 1% reduction in electricity usage in the US, and around 3.5% in New Zealand.

Benjamin Franklin was the guy who came up with the idea of DLS, by the way.

How & why?

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #94 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 8:50am

It's pretty easy really.

There are a comparatively small number of people up at between 4-6am. Literally everyone bar shift workers are awake at 6-8pm

It makes more sense to have daylight available when these people are awake and productive, and doing things like driving.

Whether it's done by flexible work hours or DST doesn't matter - but given the disruption to business DST is probably the easier choice.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #95 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 10:52am

Disruption to business?

They've had to deal with different time zones forever.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #96 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:15am

Stig wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 8:50am:
It's pretty easy really.

There are a comparatively small number of people up at between 4-6am. Literally everyone bar shift workers are awake at 6-8pm

It makes more sense to have daylight available when these people are awake and productive, and doing things like driving.

Give the man a cigar

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #97 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:36am

Gnads wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 10:52am:
Disruption to business?

I'm talking about within their own timezone. Things like payroll are often set to standard hours, and trying to shift the whole thing can be a lot of work.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #98 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:14pm

It's pretty easy really.

Whether it's done by flexible work hours or DST doesn't matter - but given the disruption to business DST is probably the easier choice.

Got any stats to back that up because IMO about half of people get up early. Not everyone is a lazy layabout.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #99 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 6:14pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:14pm:
It's pretty easy really.

Got any stats to back that up because IMO about half of people get up early. Not everyone is a lazy layabout.

Spot

Common sense tells you that not many people are up long before 6, and they're certainly not on the roads. Whereas almost everyone is awake in the late afternoon.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #100 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:18pm

DLS is great for younger people - as you age it progressively becomes a huge pain in the rear.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #101 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 7:04am

Stig wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 6:14pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:14pm:
It's pretty easy really.

Spot

Common sense tells you that not many people are up long before 6, and they're certainly not on the roads. Whereas almost everyone is awake in the late afternoon.

Common sense? Hahaha

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 1:18pm

Stig wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:36am:
Gnads wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 10:52am:
Disruption to business?

I'm talking about within their own timezone. Things like payroll are often set to standard hours, and trying to shift the whole thing can be a lot of work.

Electronic payroll transfers happen just after midnight
so not having DLS has no effect on those events.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print