Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Daylight Stupid Savings (Read 9848 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Daylight Stupid Savings
Reply #75 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 10:30pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 6:18pm:
We poor old Melbournites have to survive in temperature ranges between freezing and 45 + oShocked

So do us Rockhamptonites. But we Rockhamptonites are more likely to see 45 degree days than Melburnians. And likewise for Melburnians seeing more freezing days than Rockhamptonites.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #76 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:12am

buzzanddidj wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:15pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:46pm:
Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:25am:
Wasn't it put to a vote?
Here in Qld we said NO!

In 60 odd years of modern era daylight saving in mainstream Australia - I've always believed that this opposition to unity and energy saving measures has always been tied to intellect - or more to the point - general lack OF it

Just have a look at where it all COMES from

Gough Whitlam once said of Joh Bjelke-Peterson- "He can't even agree on the time of day"
You'd almost think that Queenslanders and Australians were different races, sometimes

It never seems to occur to Queenslanders that their obstinance is costing them two hours of commerce time, per day, with the mainland

Queenslanders arent the ones that are trying to change the time

Spot

DESPITE this, Queenslanders are the ones being left behind

Almost all of the rest of the WORLD moves to daylight saving time - over the summer months - as an energy saving measure

Daylight savings is not an energy saving measure. You are the first person i have ever seen suggest such a thing and it doesnt stand up.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:22am

buzzanddidj wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 1:46pm:
Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 6:25am:
Wasn't it put to a vote?
Here in Qld we said NO!

In 60 odd years of modern era daylight saving in mainstream Australia - I've always believed that this opposition to unity and energy saving measures has always been tied to intellect - or more to the point - general lack OF it

Just have a look at where it all COMES from

Gough Whitlam once said of Joh Bjelke-Peterson- "He can't even agree on the time of day"
You'd almost think that Queenslanders and Australians were different races, sometimes

It never seems to occur to Queenslanders that their obstinance is costing them two hours of commerce time, per day, with the mainland

How does it save energy?  Grin

As for unity ... are you speaking of "sheeple unity".

And despite DLS time on the eastern seaboard there are still time zone differentials across the rest of the country .....

so it sounds just like the attitude displayed by the SE corner of QLD ..... you all think the world revolves around you.

If there is an intellect problem regarding opposition to DLS in QLD .... I'd say the ball lays squarely in the court of those who think altering the clock "saves" daylight.

Even sillier is the suggestion that DLS saves energy. Roll Eyes Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:29am

buzzanddidj wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 5:45pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:13pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 3:15pm:
Almost all of the rest of the WORLD moves to daylight saving time - over the summer months - as an energy saving measure

Having the air conditioning on for an hour longer does NOT save energy.

Air conditioning ?

Have you looked into passive cooling design architecture (think "The Queenslander") so you can finally move out of that iron shipping container ?

I have two rellies in Cairns - and one out on the Atherton
None of these see a desperate need for "aircon"
Maybe as Victorians, they're a little hardier?

Nah ... maybe as Victorians they, like many Vic ex-pats that move to our state ...... do nothing but whinge about the necessity for QLD to catch up & change into the same place they left behind.  Roll Eyes

You want to talk about lack of intellect ... anyone living in FNQ that does't have AC in this day & age is a dill.

The Atherton tablelands is a different beast to the far north coastal tropics.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:34am

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 9:41pm:
Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 4:24pm:
On the other hand, you might turn off the Aircon effectively an hour earlier (when going to bed). Depending on the noise factor involved?

Actually: on second thoughts ... it makes no difference really.

If you arrive home at X hour and go to bed at X +hours ... then the time interval for the Aircon is the same with or without DLS....

If I get up on a daylight savings day, I will put my fans on anytime after 9am. Effectively, that means I would be putting the fans on at 8am normal time. The days goes on and I leave the fans on an average hour longer than I would during normal non-DLS time. The lights for my house go on by the later afternoon, and does so regardless of what time sunset occur. Lights do not cost nearly as much as air conditioning and fans. The argument that not switching on lights until an hour later does not add up to savings.

That's exactly right .... you switch your lights on when it's dark .... regardless of DLS which makes no difference.

In fact if you are an early starter say  4 or 5 am .... with DLS you're getting up in the dark in summer so have to turn on lights.

The saving energy argument is as stupid as the curtains fading or the milking cows being confused lines.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #80 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 8:44am

Quote:
Daylight Stupid Savings

I like it....... Cool

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #81 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:02am

Gnads wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:34am:
On the other hand, you might turn off the Aircon effectively an hour earlier (when going to bed). Depending on the noise factor involved?

If you arrive home at X hour and go to bed at X +hours ... then the time interval for the Aircon is the same with or without DLS....

If I get up on a daylight savings day, I will put my fans on anytime after 9am. Effectively, that means I would be putting the fans on at 8am normal time. The days goes on and I leave the fans on an average hour longer than I would during normal non-DLS time. The lights for my house go on by the later afternoon, and does so regardless of what time sunset occur. Lights do not cost nearly as much as air conditioning and fans. The argument that not switching on lights until an hour later does not add up to savings.

That's exactly right .... you switch your lights on when it's dark .... regardless of DLS which makes no difference.

In fact if you are an early starter say  4 or 5 am .... with DLS you're getting up in the dark in summer so have to turn on lights.

The saving energy argument is as stupid as the curtains fading or the milking cows being confused lines.

However originally power saving was one of the arguments in favour of DS.

The difference between one family member turning on a light or two for 20 minutes does not compete well with the whole family having every light and device running. I suspect that the big difference today is cooling which was not originally in the mix to any extent.

The savings are now known to be minimal but I suspect that originally there were savings.

The curtains fading story was actually correct - it did happen.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:25am

Dnarever wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:02am:

The difference between one family member turning on a light or two for 20 minutes does not compete well with the whole family having every light and device running. I suspect that the big difference today is cooling which was not originally in the mix to any extent.

The savings are now known to be minimal but I suspect that originally there were savings.

Studies have shown a 1% reduction in electricity usage in the US, and around 3.5% in New Zealand.

Benjamin Franklin was the guy who came up with the idea of DLS, by the way.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #83 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:13am

Speaking of different time zones ...

I'm reminded of the most inane remark ever recorded in human history ...

True story:

Just after the 9-11 twin tower tragic attack ... a US woman said something along the lines of:

"If you Australians knew about this attack hours before we did here in America ... why the hell didn't you warn us!!!!?"

Huh

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:14am

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:13am:
Speaking of different time zones ...

I'm reminded of the most inane remark ever recorded in human history ...

True story:

Just after the 9-11 twin tower tragic attack ... a US woman said something along the lines of:

"If you Australians knew about this attack hours before we did here in America ... why the hell didn't you warn us!!!!?"

Huh

What's the point?

We warned them about Trump, but they didn't listen.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #85 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:15am

LOL

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #86 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:27am

We did warn them about the Japanese armada heading for Pearl Harbour but they chose to ignore it.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/pearl-harbour-attack-warnings-were-i...

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #87 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 11:12am

Yes, well Ajax, that may well be ... but the point I was making was that the East coast of Australia is 15 hours ahead of New York, NY, USA ... but of course, we were seeing the attack on the Twin towers as it happened, not 15 hours ahead of time ...

but ... explaining this seems to lose the impact of the point I was making about the inane remark by the person in the US.  Wink

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:13pm

Grin Did happen because of DLS?  Grin

Curtains fade anyway.

To suggest the curtains faded more during DLS is saying that DLS actually creates an extra hour of  daylight.

Mother nature creates the longer daylight in summer & reduces it in winter.

It's the same every year - no extra is created with DLS. FFS. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:14pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:25am:

Studies have shown a 1% reduction in electricity usage in the US, and around 3.5% in New Zealand.

Benjamin Franklin was the guy who came up with the idea of DLS, by the way.

How & why?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print