Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Daylight Stupid Savings (Read 9850 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Daylight Stupid Savings
Reply #45 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:38pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:29pm:
You can understand why Brisbane wouldn't want DLS ... after all, Brisbane is as far to the east of Melbourne as Adelaide is as far to the West of Melbourne. In the bigger states there is a large difference in "real time" from West to East.

As for me in Melbourne? I would like DLS all year round and double DLS in Summer.  Cool

Brisbane & the GC & some of the Sunshine Coast want DLS.

I can tell you I know a couple of Melbournites that detest DLS.

You have a natural summer twilight until nearly 9pm ...Why would you want it light until 10pm with DLS? Roll Eyes 

btw that meme I posted ... the Indian is talking to you. Wink

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #46 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:40pm

It gets dark so early in Winter down here ... that's why I would like it all year round.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 5:46pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
It gets dark so early in Winter down here ... that's why I would like it all year round.

How does that work when the daylight hours are naturally shorter?

It doesn't just get darker earlier(like it does all over the country/globe).

It get's light later.

You really are Irish.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #48 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:00pm

I'm referring to it getting dark and miserable in Melbourne by about 5.00 PM in Winter.

I'd therefore prefer to have daylight saving all year round of one hour, and double that in Summer.

Hence, it would not be dark and miserable at 5:00 PM in Winter, but at 6:00 PM instead!  Smiley

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #49 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:03pm

You're an old man so what difference does it make to you?

Getting down the beach after work and taking the kids for a late surf is the best.

IBI

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:07pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:00pm:
I'd therefore prefer to have daylight saving all year round of one hour, and double that in Summer.

yes

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:46pm

We have voluntary daylight saving here in WA.

If you want daylight saving, you get out of bed earlier, no need for the government holding your hand.

Its the most sensible policy.
Mind you the labor scum tried to force it on us, but the people voted and booted it out.

Daylight saving is a misnomer as well, nothing is saved.
It should be called photon foolishness

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #52 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:14pm

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:43pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:46pm:
We have voluntary daylight saving here in WA.

If you want daylight saving, you get out of bed earlier, no need for the government holding your hand.

Its the most sensible policy.
Mind you the labor scum tried to force it on us, but the people voted and booted it out.

Daylight saving is a misnomer as well, nothing is saved.
It should be called photon foolishness

Exactly.

I've been starting work between 6 and 7am for years now.

I'm in sync with my eastern states colleagues, and I'm home by 3pm.

Works great!

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #54 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:08pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:29pm:
You can understand why Brisbane wouldn't want DLS ... after all, Brisbane is as far to the east of Melbourne as Adelaide is as far to the West of Melbourne. In the bigger states there is a large difference in "real time" from West to East.

I think Gympie is just moments ahead of Brisbane when it comes to complete sunset. I don't see complete sunset in Rockhampton until 7pm (post-September 22nd) -- and 7:30pm December to January. But Brisbane does have an early sunset and an early sunrise. That is why SEQld wants daylight savings. That, and the fact that they want another hour of daylight so that they can go swimming at the beach after work.

Quote:
As for me in Melbourne? I would like DLS all year round and double DLS in Summer.  Cool

Pfft! You won't find any takers for daylight savings in winter. No chance of going for a swim at the beach during the coldest months. People also want the sun up as soon as possible (15 degrees higher over the horizon compared to daylight savings time) before they have to start work. Too cold in the morning to have the sun just coming up at 7.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #55 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:24pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:08pm:
But Brisbane does have an early sunset and an early sunrise. That is why SEQld wants daylight savings. That, and the fact that they want another hour of daylight so that they can go swimming at the beach after work.

Brisbane is so far east that the sun rises at 4-44am in December. That means that it is starting to get light before 4am. That is insane.

I love 6 months of daylight saving.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #56 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:36pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
But Brisbane does have an early sunset and an early sunrise. That is why SEQld wants daylight savings. That, and the fact that they want another hour of daylight so that they can go swimming at the beach after work.

Brisbane is so far east that the sun rises at 4-44am in December. That means that it is starting to get light before 4am. That is insane.

Brisbane also received the first sunset due to the angle of the Earth's tilt. The Earth's axis is tilted at 23.5 degrees. This means that the sunset occurs earlier in Brisbane. Sunset occurs in Brisbane 22 minutes before it does in Sydney. Melbourne gets its sunset an hour after Brisbane.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 10:08pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:40am:
Gnads wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 10:31am:
DLS debate raises it's ugly head every year in QLD.

2 trials - 2 referendums - twice the vote was "NO".

Accept the umpires decision or move south of the border.

I didn't know they had two referendums.

One was in 1992 - when was the other?

1992 was over a quarter of a century ago, so maybe it's time a new generation had a say on the matter.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of DLS - if they never have another referendum on it, it would suit me fine.

We've had four here in WA, with the last one being in 2009.

That received a 55% 'No' vote.

I'm good with that   Wink

I dread it when DLS arrives, I have NEVER liked it, and I know a lot don't here in Victoria, so why are we not having a current referendum to see if we still want it or not, rather than just keep it going and going???
It's time for a change! I would love for Victoria to have a referendum for the 'now' generations and see what the vote would be.

I would also love to have a summer of normal time, and it's stupid having daylight to 9 pm.  Angry
Both my kids were born in the manipulated DLS time, and I still can't fathom it as a true or correct time of their births.

We need to vote on it whether we still want it or not in Victoria!

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 3:28pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:00pm:
I'm referring to it getting dark and miserable in Melbourne by about 5.00 PM in Winter.

Hence, it would not be dark and miserable at 5:00 PM in Winter, but at 6:00 PM instead!  Smiley

You nong .... you'd be getting up in morning in the dark.

That meme really does apply to you.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 3:31pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:24pm:

I love 6 months of daylight saving.

No it's not ... it's nature & has been doing that for eternity.

You can still lay in when it's getting light or you can use it to exercise or play 9 before work.

It's not dark until after 7pm ... what more do you need?

FAAAAAAAAAAARK DLS.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print