Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
big pnas hiring experiment (Read 1776 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
big pnas hiring experiment
Oct 7th, 2018 at 7:05am

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/17/5360.full

The underrepresentation of women in academic science is typically attributed, both in scientific literature and in the media, to sexist hiring. Here we report five hiring experiments in which faculty evaluated hypothetical female and male applicants, using systematically varied profiles disguising identical scholarship, for assistant professorships in biology, engineering, economics, and psychology. Contrary to prevailing assumptions, men and women faculty members from all four fields preferred female applicants 2:1 over identically qualified males with matching lifestyles (single, married, divorced), with the exception of male economists, who showed no gender preference. Comparing different lifestyles revealed that women preferred divorced mothers to married fathers and that men preferred mothers who took parental leaves to mothers who did not. Our findings, supported by real-world academic hiring data, suggest advantages for women launching academic science careers.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: big pnas hiring experiment
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 7:38am

I want to state that i believe that any well-meaning effort, to seek to order human societies, to achieve 'social equality' among all mankind, will fail, because such ambitions are always incapable of taming [and overcoming] the corrupting influence of 'the human condition', in the world, and within man himself.

Yadda = = the person who tends to reject fanciful ideas, and a person who believes in REAL things.

IMO, it is virtuous, and realistic, to seek to obtain;      equal opportunity,     for all.

But political LEFTISTS and 'Progressives' [imo] today, seem determined, that the world in which they live must provide    equal outcomes     for all.

That, is la-la land stuff.

Jordan Peterson DESTROYS Tom Ballard - Tonightly With Tom Ballard

8 min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgeevlRElw

For the benefit of everyone who will be influenced by persons who have achieved authority or advancement [in society or some organisation],
i believe that we should try to prioritise the advancement of individuals through personal merit, and never, through the 'advantage' of any type of quota.

For those who seek to achieve [personal] advancement, let them do it through the agency of personal merit.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Pedro Curevo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nth Coast NSW
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 7:43am

One would think that hiring of people in the science arena male of or female was conducted on a scientific basis.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 7:57am

Pedro Curevo wrote on Oct 7th, 2018 at 7:43am:
One would think that hiring of people in the science arena male of or female was conducted on a scientific basis.

What does that mean?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 11:41am

Surely you all knew this was a lie all along, and that as more women graduated in those areas of study, the numbers would more or less balance out with an occasional hiccup.

Demanding 50% always works one way - demand 50% of the good spots, but not of the bad spots and certainly not in areas where women are the greatest number, leading inevitably to 50% women in every good job with high pay and fine conditions etc and more women in many of the other jobs with similar attributes.

Already the push is on for more pay for 'early childhood educators' - childcare workers (*again) - who, surprise, surprise - aren't paid as much as teachers.  While you're at it, ask yourself what percentage of teachers,nurses, and so forth are already women, and how many are currently graduating into pharmacy, medicine and so forth... and how many banking and real estate staff are women these days... none of these is a job that requires serious work and each has the absolute best of conditions.

How many of those positions with their fine super etc are women as a group going to surrender to ensure 50% representation?

Will we be seeing the same social upheaval when men are forced into all the lowest paid and conditioned jobs in the land?

Will there be a relentless campaign when men are receiving less superannuation in retirement etc?

This outdated and outworn 'sexist' nonsense if long overdue for the garbage bin.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 2:57pm

Hear hear

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 3:23pm

Hear hear hear.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 12:00pm

... and never forget the evil old days when about 2% of the population got to go to university, and women were forced to leave their job in the steel works or driving spikes into rail sleepers once they married... women have always had it so tough... tougher to sit at home in safety than work in the mines or factories with air filled with lint and such giving you lung disease and early death etc...

Just one day of that women's oppression, Lord - then Ol' Rastus can meet you happy...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 12:53pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 12:00pm:
... and never forget the evil old days when about 2% of the population got to go to university, and women were forced to leave their job in the steel works or driving spikes into rail sleepers once they married... women have always had it so tough... tougher to sit at home in safety than work in the mines or factories with air filled with lint and such giving you lung disease and early death etc...

Just one day of that women's oppression, Lord - then Ol' Rastus can meet you happy...

Smiley Smiley

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 1:16pm

Wonder if this unconscious women's privilege thing is what is causing so many odd types to want to become women by taking the chop and tucking it all in?  They think (know) that women have all these privileges men never had, and they want their share - and they mustn't have had much balls to begin with....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:40pm

We need more men in teaching
I suggest a 50% mix of men and women

Both in teaching and higher roles

Perhaps then this stupidity of gender fluidity would be smashed into the faeces it is.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:56pm

Valkie wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:40pm:

Perhaps then this stupidity of gender fluidity would be smashed into the faeces it is.

And (where's aquascoot) the strong masculine figures might be around and the young men and women might learn a more balanced view of men and women in the real world.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 5:33pm

Come on Valkie men have left teaching in droves because of the PC & man bashing & student abuse they have had to put up with in schools.

The system has sapped the soul out of any male teachers worth their salt ... many who are still there are just going through the motions.

We reap what we sow.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:46am

Gnads wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 5:33pm:

Come on Valkie men have left teaching in droves because of the PC & man bashing & student abuse they have had to put up with in schools.

The system has sapped the soul out of any male teachers worth their salt ... many who are still there are just going through the motions.

We reap what we sow.

That's superfluous
We need 50% men in teaching
A goal we must strive to achieve
Positive discrimination, pay them more, give them more benefits and opportunities, whatever it takes, just get that percentage up there.

After all, men are 50% of the population
They must represent 50% of teachers
Good enough for pollies, good enough for teachers.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 5:34am

Valkie wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 4:46am:
Gnads wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 5:33pm:

We reap what we sow.

That's superfluous
We need 50% men in teaching
A goal we must strive to achieve
Positive discrimination, pay them more, give them more benefits and opportunities, whatever it takes, just get that percentage up there.

After all, men are 50% of the population
They must represent 50% of teachers
Good enough for pollies, good enough for teachers.

And 50% of nurses, and 50% working in soft jobs in banks and public service, and 50% in real estate, and 50% in all the other feather bed jobs with all the good salary, super and air conditioned comfort and such....  how many highly placed and highly paid MALE nurses are there?

Oh.... I know... that's because they're not yet qualified for those higher spots.. dearie me.... they'll need to get through all the hurdles - including the blatant sexism in nursing - to get anywhere near those higher spots as Surgical Support Team Leader and such.... meantime they are best suited physically to Sh1tcan Row... lifting heavy patients and such.... mucking out the stable patients ....

Why should men be forced to line up for a job shoveling sh1t when many of them don't want to do that kind of work, any more than women do?

I'll ask again - with all these women force fed into countless lovely government super jobs - how long will it be before there is a serious 'superannuation gap' in favour of women?  And what will be the action taken then?

Women started to be force fed into those positions (apart from State supered nursing) in the early 1980s.. give it a little lead time... let's say the cycle is half-way through now..... so by around 2040 (probably sooner - I predict around fifteen years, maybe twelve or so) we will begin to see a serious discrepancy between the super men have in retirement and that of women.....

Will there be a huge campaign to overcome the New Super Gap?  Let alone the New Income Gap?

I doubt it....... not the way feminists and their eunuchs work, men can eat cake.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print