Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
big pnas hiring experiment (Read 1788 times)
Pedro Curevo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nth Coast NSW
Re: big pnas hiring experiment
Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 5:35am

Its a long road to get a Ph.D on avg 20's to 30's in most western countries and the ratio is still around 50% men and 50% women who achieve that goal.

Women have no issues  in achieving  a science Ph.D, more than capable, its life factors get in the way with having kids and why they drop out of the science pathway.

And that may make for unintentional bias in employment.

Quotas as used in Europe to build on female  science researchers to combat the gender gap are not that successful and has made little impact on woman numbers in science, again due to kids in the way.

The suggested course is more flexible working hours and child care facilities....can be done.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: big pnas hiring experiment
Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 5:45am

Pedro Curevo wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 5:35am:
Its a long road to get a Ph.D on avg 20's to 30's in most western countries and the ratio is still around 50% men and 50% women who achieve that goal.

Women have no issues  in achieving  a science Ph.D, more than capable, its life factors get in the way with having kids and why they drop out of the science pathway.

And that may make for unintentional bias in employment.

Quotas as used in Europe to build on female  science researchers to combat the gender gap are not that successful and has made little impact on woman numbers in science, again due to kids in the way.

The suggested course is more flexible working hours and child care facilities....can be done.

Who pays for the childcare facilities and the flexible hours?  Adding childcare facilities is another de facto pay rise for those with children and against those without  .... flexible hours often means - in the cases you cite - having a nice little sinecure without any real reporting responsibilities...

Friend was an administrator with CSIRO, and worked hard to overcome this 'safe sinecure and I'll report when I have my results' - and was hounded out of the job.  After the driving out with pitchforks and flaming brands - SHE was lauded by those who did the driving as the best they ever had in admin, and the hypocrites lamented her going...

Be cautious of offering any 'researcher' etc a sinecure... sinecure is derived from two Latin words - 'without curating' .... zero oversight... not a good way to run any show.

Also I seriously wonder about many of the new breed of Ph.Ds - I don't see much in the realm of genuine knowledge coming out of them... more like an excessive compilation of what has gone before..... it seems at times to be a matter of serving your time in academia, then you cop a Ph.D., and let's be frank - many of the areas of new 'Ph.Ds' are in nonsense strands...  (wink, wink)   ...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print