Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Note to Australians.. Hold onto your Guns... (Read 8653 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Note to Australians.. Hold onto your Guns...
Reply #15 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:38am

Well - as our respective parties in government clamp down more and more on basic rights and the simple right to go about your own life in peace, particularly without unwarranted interference and direct violence from the State - something nowhere in evidence since the state-installed violence of deliberately unbalanced (non)laws back in 1992... I think you will find that a lot of those now technically illegal and unaccounted for guns will be turned onto those vested with the power to enforce such 'laws'.

I'm expecting someone somewhere to take up arms against the genuine oppressors....... and then the fun will begin.

That we Australian MEN primarily are a peaceful lot in view of the amazing level of violence in many ways exercised against us in the name of some mythical 'equality', is clearly shown by the relative lack of response to this very oppression.

That can't last forever. there are many alienated and radicalised ordinary people out there, without a leader or even a voice .... that's one of the reasons for flooding the nation with submissive and unaware of rights etc foreigners - can't stay that way forever.    Wink

"This should get a bite out of a few, Igor - let's go and see the doc and check when we get back"......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:53am

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:35am:
Since 1988, the proportion of households with a firearm fell by 75 per cent.

How about the rate of firearms per household?

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:00pm

"Australians now own more guns than before the 1996 Port Arthur massacre, according to new research that shows firearm imports hit a record high in 2014-15."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/record-gun-sales-bring-australias-firearm-arsena...

And less gun deaths. How bizarre?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:54pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:38am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:21am:
Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:18am:
Gnads wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 9:52am:
red baron wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 8:52am:
Yes and the U.S.A. has 'the right to bear  arms' in its constitution and it is the Gun Murder Capitol of the World 

Gun Crime has gone down radically in Australia

You can still buy a gun on the black market but the degree of difficulty is extremely high and extremely expensive

John Howard saved this Country from God knows how many gun related deaths

He is a true blue hero for the stand he took in the face of all the gun nerds in the Country

I don't mind guns in the right hands, law enforcement, armed forces etc

In fact I used to teach weaponry  the Air Force and I carried a gun for 18 years as a Police Officer

Actually it's not. I think you'll find Mexico & certain Sth American countries are far worse.

John Howard saved us from nothing.

The incidence of murder whether it be by gun or other weapons has increased .... and shootings are still occurring.

There are other demographics involved besides guns.

Not only that....there are more gun owners now than there was back then.
These delusional twats get on here and sprook their "bad guns" retoric without even knowing WTF they're on about.
John Howard  is a traitor and should be locked up.

The very guns these gun haters think have been "taken away" are still in circulation. Im sick of repaeting it. Want proof. A copper was shot with an SKS last year. There will be more where that one came from too. Jayzuz.

"Overall, it’s clear that the gun buybacks in 1996 and 2003 and related firearm restrictions were followed by decreases in overall gun deaths, including firearm related homicides and suicides."

Smiley

I can't help it if you cannot comprehend it... Grin

Did you ever stop to think that maybe it has to do with education???
Safety courses upon license application. Mandatory safes for firearm storage, removal of firing pins when stored. But no....you stick to your stupid college stats that semi autos kill more people than single shots.  Grin

You know, thousands of babies a year died from accidental drowings in backyard pool untill swimming education became available to them and their  families. Mandatory fencing of pools. Now that number has dropped considerably. Laurie Lawrence is a hero....not john the dictator howard.

But stick to your stats....makes you look like a fool every time...but I'm happy to correct your mistakes.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Now go on...reply with a cut and paste of your post above.... Grin

Is this statement correct:

"Overall, it’s clear that the gun buybacks in 1996 and 2003 and related firearm restrictions were followed by decreases in overall gun deaths, including firearm related homicides and suicides."

A simple yes or no will suffice.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:57pm

lee wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:00pm:
"Australians now own more guns than before the 1996 Port Arthur massacre, according to new research that shows firearm imports hit a record high in 2014-15."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/record-gun-sales-bring-australias-firearm-arsena...

misleading statement. Its about per capita:

Quote:
Population growth over the past 20 years means the rate of private gun ownership remains about 23 per cent lower than before the massacre.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:58pm

lee wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:53am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 10:35am:
Since 1988, the proportion of households with a firearm fell by 75 per cent.

How about the rate of firearms per household?

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia#proportion_of_households_wit...

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:00pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:57pm:
lee wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:00pm:

misleading statement. Its about per capita:

Quote:
Population growth over the past 20 years means the rate of private gun ownership remains about 23 per cent lower than before the massacre.

Indeed.

"This increase must be seen in context.

"Australia's population grew by five million in the same period, so per-capita firearm ownership remains 23 per cent lower than it was before Port Arthur."

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:19pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:58pm:
https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia#proportion_of_households_wit...

"The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in Australia is "

They can estimate the number of illicit firearms? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Did you notice a lot of the statistics were way outdated? 1992?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:25pm

lee wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:19pm:

"The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in Australia is "

They can estimate the number of illicit firearms? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

What's your point?

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:30pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 12:54pm:
Yes and the U.S.A. has 'the right to bear  arms' in its constitution and it is the Gun Murder Capitol of the World 

You can still buy a gun on the black market but the degree of difficulty is extremely high and extremely expensive

He is a true blue hero for the stand he took in the face of all the gun nerds in the Country

In fact I used to teach weaponry  the Air Force and I carried a gun for 18 years as a Police Officer

Actually it's not. I think you'll find Mexico & certain Sth American countries are far worse.

The incidence of murder whether it be by gun or other weapons has increased .... and shootings are still occurring.

These delusional twats get on here and sprook their "bad guns" retoric without even knowing WTF they're on about.

The very guns these gun haters think have been "taken away" are still in circulation. Im sick of repaeting it. Want proof. A copper was shot with an SKS last year. There will be more where that one came from too. Jayzuz.

Smiley

Safety courses upon license application. Mandatory safes for firearm storage, removal of firing pins when stored. But no....you stick to your stupid college stats that semi autos kill more people than single shots.  Grin

You know, thousands of babies a year died from accidental drowings in backyard pool untill swimming education became available to them and their  families. Mandatory fencing of pools. Now that number has dropped considerably. Laurie Lawrence is a hero....not john the dictator howard.

But stick to your stats....makes you look like a fool every time...but I'm happy to correct your mistakes.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

No.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:31pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:30pm:

Smiley

No.

How is it wrong?

In the two decades following the reforms, the annual rate of gun deaths fell from 2.9 per 100,000 in 1996 to 0.9 per 100,000 in 2016.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:33pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:31pm:

Smiley

No.

How is it wrong?

So now you want me to explain..... Grin Grin Grin

You got what you wanted. You go work it out.   Wink

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:35pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:33pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:31pm:

Smiley

No.

How is it wrong?

So now you want me to explain..... Grin Grin Grin

You got what you wanted. You go work it out.   Wink

The statement is correct.

In the two decades following the reforms, the annual rate of gun deaths fell from 2.9 per 100,000 in 1996 to 0.9 per 100,000 in 2016.

That's a decrease.

Year 9 maths, innit?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:51pm

I'll break it down for you, if you like.

1996 and 2003 came before 2016.

So, those first two years mentioned were followed by 2016.

The annual rate of gun deaths in 1996 was 2.9 per 100,000.

In 2016 the figure was 0.9 per 100,000.

0.9 is less than 2.9, so it was a decrease.

Taking these facts into consideration, this statement is completely correct:

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #29 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 2:51pm

lee wrote on Oct 5th, 2018 at 1:19pm:

They can estimate the number of illicit firearms?
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Of course - it's the same as unreported rape and unreported domestic violence and so forth..... easy as pie in the sky.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print