Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Whos for an Indigenous Day? (Read 11506 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Whos for an Indigenous Day?
Sep 25th, 2018 at 6:04pm

[urlhttps://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/australia-day-do-we-really-need-two-days-to-argue-about/news-story/5c26bc4d287fb2d0d1fe14e73e54ebdd][/url]

IT seems the fights over Australia Day come around earlier every year.

And in the wake of a suggestion by Scott Morrison yesterday, we may soon have not one but two days to argue about.

Writing in the Daily Telegraph yesterday, the new(ish) PM once again affirmed, correctly, that January 26 is and should remain our national day.

Then, almost as an afterthought, he added this: “I also believe we need to honour and acknowledge in our national calendar our Indigenous Peoples. That is a topic for another day.”

And that is what must go down in the next edition of the Macquarie Dictionary as a textbook definition of wishful thinking.

Because far from shutting down the culture wars over how (or even whether we should) come together on a national holiday the proposal inflamed Australia Day backers – of which I am one – whose first reaction was to think the whole idea divisive.

Two days, not one? Separate but equal? When we are all supposed to be “one” Australia? As if.

does anyone think this will make them happy?????

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Whos for an Indigenous Day?
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 6:29pm

It's no so much the abos but the snowflakes who are driving this crap. They want to destroy anything that is white . If they buckle to this crap then they'll move on to the flag and so on and so on. It won't stop until history has been whitewashed.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 6:39pm

we cant undo history though.....some folks have such trouble understanding that...

I dont know if there was blood on the sand at Sydney Cove  .....to my knowledge there wasnt any.....

lets whitewash  WW11     I wonder how that will go down?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 6:47pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 6:29pm:
It's no so much the abos but the snowflakes who are driving this crap. They want to destroy anything that is white . If they buckle to this crap then they'll move on to the flag and so on and so on. It won't stop until history has been whitewashed.

Scott Morrison, actually.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 6:56pm

We should consign the 26 January to the scrapheap as a national holiday - let NSW have it - as it it celebrates the arrival of the First Fleet.   Australia as a nation was established on 1 January 1901.  That is what we should be celebrating as Australia Day.   Most Australians know buggerall about their own history.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 7:05pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 6:56pm:
We should consign the 26 January to the scrapheap as a national holiday - let NSW have it - as it it celebrates the arrival of the First Fleet.   Australia as a nation was established on 1 January 1901.  That is what we should be celebrating as Australia Day.   Most Australians know buggerall about their own history.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Why do we have to continue with this current trend of white Australians losing something Brian?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 9:28pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 7:05pm:

Why do we have to continue with this current trend of white Australians losing something Brian?

Look it not as a loss but as a gain.  Australia, as a nation, gains it's own national day and NSW gains it's founding day, Hammer.  No one losses.  Indigenous Australians can celebrate with all other Australians.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 9:33pm

Put more effort into making the country better for everyone instead of assuaging PC white guilt.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:11pm

yeah... lets divide the country up more than it already is...

why not!!  who cares anymore..I know I dont..

the PC group have a lot to answer for   trouble is it wont be seen for what it is    until so much damage has been done and there is NO GOING BACK...

to try to change history  make out NSW isnt part of Australia   is just so much crap......

can you seriously see the AMericans  disappearing .. Thanksgiving  because it upsets the Indian nations?????????>.

seriously  I know this country is young..  but for crying out loud its time to grow up...the rest of the world is watching all this crap  ....I bet we are a laughing stock...

change history   let NSW celebrate Australia Day  and the rest of us   will pretend like it didnt happen... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy..

yep keep the divide up as much as possible... Angry Angry Angry

makes sense to some!

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:18pm

Your idiocy is boundless and isn't  girt by sea or any other limit, Bwian.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:23pm

Frank wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:18pm:

Your idiocy is boundless and isn't  girt by sea or any other limit, Bwian.

he thinks he speaks for most Australians...... well the muslim ones anyway.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:37pm

Australia Day does not bring anyone together- its nasty and devisive- get rid of it and find another excuse to get drunk

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 6:38am

Agnes wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:37pm:
Australia Day does not bring anyone together- its nasty and devisive- get rid of it and find another excuse to get drunk

WHY?????    what will change?...

poo what will our aboriginal friends have to whinge about?....I am quite shocked by that agnes.....

there are a few.. not that many!  who make an issue out of it........and you say give in too them..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I for one am a bit sick of minority groups telling me what to do.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 7:21am

Agnes wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 10:37pm:

Most Australians are not divided by Australia Day. Once again, its the media using a tiny vocal minority to create an issue. The idea of making the 1st of January has been raised, and its logical, but like the apology, or a so-called treaty, its unlikely to satisfy the disgruntled minority.   

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 7:31am

calling it invasion day    ISNT DIVISIVE????...

really!

wonder what they would have called   this...

Quote:
On February 19, 1942, Darwin was attacked by two Japanese air raids. They were orchestrated by none other than Mitsuo Fuchida, the commander who had 10 weeks earlier bombed Pearl Harbour. Overall, the attacks cost around 250 people their lives and injured between 300 and 400 military personnel and civilians.

now thats what a real  invasion  can do.....this was just two raids......imagine having one after the other  for weeks on end?????>..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print