Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feral goat problem Adelaide hills (Read 1499 times)
Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Feral goat problem Adelaide hills
Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:49pm

Quote:
'We can't get rid of them': Small town is overrun by feral goats destroying vineyards and causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage

A small town has been invaded by feral goats causing drastic financial damage
Wild goats have stripped the vegetation off private properties of local residents
Residents are responsible for killing wild goats and pests under the state law

A small town has been invaded by feral goats causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
The wild goats have overrun national parks, vineyards and properties in Castambul, in the Adelaide Hills, and are proving a nuisance to residents.
The out-of-control goats have trampled and eaten native vegetation, stripped fruits off vineyards until they're bare, and are spreading weeds and causing erosion.

Residents are struggling to get rid of the feral animals destroying vegetation on their properties.
'They breed like wildfire,' Castambul resident Debbie Brenton told Today Tonight

'No matter what you try to do to get rid of them, it doesn't seem to be making any impact,' she said.
A local vineyard known to produce Australia's greatest sparkling wine is suffering from the goat plague, ruining $10,000 worth of Chardonnay.

Under South Australian Law, the National Resources Management Act 2004 states land owners are responsible for controlling feral pests such as goats, foxes and deer.

Land owners must shoot and trap pests in order to avoid drastic environmental and financial impact.

Mount Lofty Ranges National Resource Director Brenton Gear said the eradication of feral goats would be a hard task for residents.
'It's the most difficult thing to do for a pest that's established,' he said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6191751/Small-town-overrun-feral-goats-...

Rural landowners have a legal responsibility to kill feral pests, a gun is the most effective tool for this job.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Feral goat problem Adelaide hills
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 5:56pm

And I suppose the rest of your usual mantra about the need to allow semi-automatic long arms and of course, sound suppressors holds true, Baron?  How unsurprising.  What a pity a bolt-action rifle does just as good a job...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 6:23pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 5:56pm:
And I suppose the rest of your usual mantra about the need to allow semi-automatic long arms and of course, sound suppressors holds true, Baron?  How unsurprising.  What a pity a bolt-action rifle does just as good a job...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I see more than 6 goats in those pics which means a semi auto would be a better tool than a bolt action rifle.

New Zealand allows hunters to have semi auto rifles with sound suppressors, they have a 10% lower homicide rate compared to Australia and no mass shootings for over 20 years.

The UK with their tough gun laws allow hunters to have semi auto shotguns and semi auto rimfire rifles, the UK has a 10% lower homicide rate compared to Australia. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It's easier to buy a sound suppressor in NZ compared to the USA, you just hand over your south pacific pesos and walk out of the shop with it, many Kiwis think it's rude to shoot without a sound suppressor.

NSW allow sound suppressors for hunters perhaps the other states should follow.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0019/262009/PW_GR_Silencer_-_Fe...

Edith Cowan University did a study on sound suppressors they find no evidence for criminals using them. Perhaps you should read that study bwian.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Linky- https://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com.au/&htt...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 8:02pm

Goats are easy enough to get rid of.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print