Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bible quotes, aren't automatically irrelevant, to (Read 2481 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Bible quotes, aren't automatically irrelevant, to
Sep 24th, 2018 at 1:24pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:55am:

Plus with all the bible quotes, irrelevant.

"Plus with all the bible quotes, irrelevant."

ARGUMENT;
Bible quotes, aren't automatically irrelevant, to any public [political] discussion being held today.

Not in Australia, and not in any other Western nation today.

ARGUMENT;
Only an intellectually ignorant [or dishonest] person would claim that those life-lessons or precepts found within 'bible quotes' are automatically irrelevant to any public discourse, in Australia, today.

ARGUMENT;
The bible, and the ideas and the precepts the bible contains,    have informed every Western culture for the past 2 millennia.

The only persons who could 'legitimately' have a 'good reason' [i.e. motive] to seek to negate any societal influences which are promoted and which can be found in scripture,
are those persons who, for their own ideological reasons, want to disparage all ideas and all precepts which the bible speaks of.

And people with such opinions, are most often found today, within the political LEFTIST/political 'PROGRESSIVE' camp.

And many persons who have such political affiliations [political LEFTIST/political 'PROGRESSIVE' camp], 'we find',
are also 'shirt-lifters' and 'chocolate-miners', and those who suffer from the affliction of Penis-PHOBIA [aka lesbianism].

And of course, none of those persons who are members of, or are associated with, those previously mentioned groups would have any affection for the bible, nor, for any of the ideas and precepts which the bible speaks of.

Why so ?

Because the ideas and precepts which can be found in the bible, roundly condemns their 'worldview' and condemns, all of the values which promote and inform such a 'worldview'.

Leviticus 18:22
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Romans 1:26
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27  And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Romans 1:29
Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30  Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31  Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Such persons today, [as is their right, in law] dismiss God, because God first dismissed them, and all of their reprobate choices.

In very many ways, what is found within scripture has informed our present culture, and even, sometimes our present popular culture.

Ecclesiastes 3:1
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2  A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3  A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4  A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5  A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6  A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7  A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8  A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Psalms 137:1
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.
2  We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.
3  For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.
4  How shall we sing the LORD'S song in a strange land?

Google;
words from the bible found in everyday speech

Words which come from the bible, that are found in everyday speech.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bible-phrases-sayings.html

'coat of many colours'            Gen.37:3, 23, 32

'the fat of the land'            Gen.45:18

'hold your peace'                        Exod.14:14; Lev.10:3

'peace offering'                        Lev.3:1, 3, 6, 9

'scapegoat'                                    Lev.16:8, 10:26

'stumbling block'                        Lev.19:14; 1 Cor.1:23

'a drop in the bucket'

'by the skin of my teeth'

'a house divided against itself'

'fainthearted'                              Deut.20:8; Isa.7:4; Jer.49:23

'the apple of his eye'            Deut.32:10; Zech.2:8

'the ends of the earth'            Deut.33:17; Job 37:3; Psa.72:8

'fell on his sword'                  1 Sam.31:5

'how are the mighty fallen'            2 Sam.1:19

'can a leopard change its spots?'

and many, many more.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Bible quotes, aren't automatically irrelevant, to
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 1:26pm

No but you put them in there as though somehow it makes your BS relevant.,

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 1:32pm

Quote:
The bible, and the ideas and the precepts the bible contains,    have informed every Western culture for the past 2 millennia

Smiley

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:46pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 1:26pm:

No but you put them in there as though somehow it makes your BS relevant.,

Correct.

Not relevant, to those without eyes to see.

The words of God are of 'none effect', to those whose heart reject those words, to those whose hearts refuse to be 'softened' by those words.

Proverbs 30:5
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Isaiah 6:9
And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.
10  Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Jeremiah 5:21
Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not:

Mark 7:13
Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:47pm

But with zero context. So irrelevant.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:52pm

@ Reply #4

As you say.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:59pm

Yes, so I do.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 2:53am

Bible quotes are irrelevant to [political] discussion because in Australia, politics and religion are two different things.

No one in Australia says a woman has to marry her rapist. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

No one has public [political] discussions about incest. "I got pregnant with our daddy's baby last night little sister. Here! Take this wine and get him drunk so you can make babies with our dad too! That way, we can persevere his seed." (Genesis 19:34)

No one talks about how rubbing the freshly cut foreskin of a child on a man's foot is pleasing to God. (Exodus 4:24-26)

And what right minded individual believes that a woman who gives birth to a female is twice as filthy as one who gives birth to a male. (Leviticus 12:1-5)

Don't forget to hate everyone, even yourself! "If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else, your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, even yourself. Otherwise you can not be my disciple."

These are just a few (of many) reasons why Bible quotes are irrelevant to public [political] discussion.

Non religion now out ranks the number one religion in this country, (30.1% to 22.6%)

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:17am

Oh here we go. "There are none so blind as those who will not see." In other words, Yadda is right and you are wrong, because he knows God. End of story.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:07am

issuevoter wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:17am:

Oh here we go. "There are none so blind as those who will not see."

In other words, Yadda is right and you are wrong, because he knows God.

End of story.

In other words, God is right and i am wrong, because i am a man, i am flesh.

And i live in error, every day.

End of story.

I like scripture.

I love scripture.

And i cannot understand why it is, that many more people do not choose to search its pages, and to meditate on its words.

Psalms 19:13
Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14  Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Psalms 73:21
Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins.
22  So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
23  Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
24  Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
25  Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
26  My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
27  For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee.
28  But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.

Psalms 119:54
Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.

To most Christians, the Bible is like a software license.
Nobody actually reads it.
They just scroll to the bottom and click 'I agree'.
- Bill Maher

"The plain things of the Bible are the main things, and the main things are the plain things."
- ?

"The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible."
Dwight L. Moody (American Evangelist, 1837-1899)

"When people stop believing in God, they do not believe in nothing. They believe in anything."
- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:31am

SO irrelevant.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:49am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:31am:

SO irrelevant.

Not so.

We, mankind, should be living in a paradise.

We, mankind, should be living happy and fulfilled lives.

But look at the world today, living under the choices of men.

Read and study scripture, if you want to understand WHY.

Read and study scripture, if you want a safe 'Way out' from this mess.

If not,      then continue making the same choices that you have always made.

!!!!!

It is your choice!

It has always been your choice.

Daniel 12:10
Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:18am

I'm happy with my same choices.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:26am

One problem with the Bible is that there are quotes for every occasion ... AND counter-quotes for every occasion.  Grin

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:00pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:18am:
I'm happy with my same choices.

Good for you, Bojack.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print