Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Religious Freedom Laws (Read 3022 times)
The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Religious Freedom Laws
Sep 23rd, 2018 at 12:53pm

Prime Minister Scott Morrison will enact "preventative regulation and legislation" to shield freedom of religion from future enemies, giving his strongest hints to date about the government's intentions regarding "religious freedom" laws.

Mr Morrison made the comments in an interview with Sky News host Paul Murray.

The country's first Pentecostal prime minister has inherited from his predecessor a review of Australia's laws on "religious freedom" which was undertaken by former Liberal attorney-general Philip Ruddock and handed to the government in May.

The government has yet to release a response, but Mr Morrison has hinted at making it a priority in coming months. The review was commissioned by Mr Turnbull as a way to deal with concerns about freedom of religion raised by conservatives in the wake of the legalisation of same-sex marriage.

Murray raised with Mr Morrison the concern that unfettered religious freedom could grant "the extremes of any faith" sufficient cover to protect "the worst parts of their faith", citing underage marriage and polygamy.

Mr Morrison in turn said religious beliefs should be protected as long as they did not "contravene national laws".

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/scott-morrison-says-he-will-pursue-preve...

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Religious Freedom Laws
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 12:58pm

Quote:
Section 116 of the Constitution of Australia precludes the Commonwealth of Australia (i.e., the federal parliament) from making laws for establishing any religion, imposing any religious observance, or prohibiting the free exercise of any religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_116_of_the_Constitution_of_Australia

So if the constitution already protects religious freedom, what possible motive could the conservatives have to lobby for freedom of religions laws?

It seems to me that the right wing faction of the Coalition wants to hold religion above the common laws that the rest of us have to abide by.
The problem with that is that it could have many unintended consequences. 

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 1:27pm

The question is, what is inadequate about existing constitutional protection? I contend that this issue would not have come up, if it were not for the influx of the Islamic rhatbaggi. Up until this development, the religions, with very little in the way of complaints, have accepted the constitution.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 1:40pm

issuevoter wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 1:27pm:
The question is, what is inadequate about existing constitutional protection? I contend that this issue would not have come up, if it were not for the influx of the Islamic rhatbaggi. Up until this development, the religions, with very little in the way of complaints, have accepted the constitution.

No, this issue came up after the same sex marriage postal survey. When the survey went against them conservatives wanted to be able to breach anti-discrimination laws.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:28am

The_Barnacle wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 1:40pm:
issuevoter wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 1:27pm:

No, this issue came up after the same sex marriage postal survey. When the survey went against them conservatives wanted to be able to breach anti-discrimination laws.

I am aware of this recent development, but religious whinging was already on the rise.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 9:46pm

Interesting ABC article.

The writers claim that Ruddock's report will actually constrain federal religious exemptions. Not expand them.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:39pm

The other aspect of all this is that the religious institutions exemptions from the Sex discrimination and Human rights acts previously were actually redrawn back in 1986 and revised in 2008.

So the issue is not a COALition issue, as those laws were overseen by Hawke back in 1986, Rudd and Gillard in 2008

It could turn out to be an embarrassment for Labor too.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 11:57am

Raven wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 9:46pm:

Very good article Raven.

It's also interesting to note that schools won't be able to expel existing students who are gay, they can only turn away new applicants who are gay.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 1:57pm

I suppose the ABC article reflects the focus of Report. If it does, take note how both are Abraham-centric, to coin a term. At their broadest they are all about Gods. What about head-hunting Papuan and Islander religions? Is the right to shrink heads going to be protected? What about ritual sacrifice and cannibalism? They are all related.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:55pm

issuevoter wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 1:57pm:
What about head-hunting Papuan and Islander religions? Is the right to shrink heads going to be protected? What about ritual sacrifice and cannibalism? They are all related.

I would consider that to be more cultural rather than religious.
However  any religious freedom laws could have unintended consequences if they are not careful.
My concern is that the government will continue to sit on this report and then if they win the next election they will legislate some unpalatable religious freedom laws

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 6:31pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
What about head-hunting Papuan and Islander religions? Is the right to shrink heads going to be protected? What about ritual sacrifice and cannibalism? They are all related.

However  any religious freedom laws could have unintended consequences if they are not careful.
My concern is that the government will continue to sit on this report and then if they win the next election they will legislate some unpalatable religious freedom laws

Culture and religion are very intertwined and almost indistinguishable in many cases. The beliefs of a culture(it's religion), dictates the norms of the culture.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 8:46pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:55pm:

So what the Melanesians and Polynesians believed, was not religious.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:49pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 12:58pm:
Quote:
Section 116 of the Constitution of Australia precludes the Commonwealth of Australia (i.e., the federal parliament) from making laws for establishing any religion, imposing any religious observance, or prohibiting the free exercise of any religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_116_of_the_Constitution_of_Australia

So if the constitution already protects religious freedom, what possible motive could the conservatives have to lobby for freedom of religions laws?

It seems to me that the right wing faction of the Coalition wants to hold religion above the common laws that the rest of us have to abide by.
The problem with that is that it could have many unintended consequences. 

Section 116, I believe, wouldn't apply to regulating private schools. It would apply only to certain things like: forcing the Catholic church to ordain women bishops, etc.

Forced integration folks! We want society to become more tolerant and accepting of gays.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 8:07am

If our government was serious about religious freedom, and for that matter Human Rights, it would require the UN to tackle its members who prosecute their citizens for blasphemy. Such laws promote bigotry, ignorance, superstition, and false witness.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2023 at 4:55pm

This Topic was moved here from Atheism by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print